PDA

View Full Version : CBS Poll: Most Democrats Think Christianity Is as Violent as Islam.....

MMC
02-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Only one-in-seven registered Democrats in America believe that Islam is more violent as a whole than Christianity, according to a new CBS poll (https://www.scribd.com/document/338306835/CBS-News-poll-on-Trump-travel-ban-record-low-approval-rating-for-Trump#from_embed).

Republicans had a much different perspective on the matter however. Over six-in-ten believe that Islam is more violent in nature than other religions......snip~

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/justinholcomb/2017/02/06/cbs-poll-most-democrats-think-christianity-is-as-violent-as-islam-n2282018

Now CBS is finding out about their own kind of people and just how deluded they are. Not so tuned in with reality.

Bo-4
02-06-2017, 10:51 AM
If one considers the totality of religious history - then indeed the case can be made that Christians have been just as violent.

Tahuyaman
02-06-2017, 10:53 AM
It's just as likely that most of them think that Cristianity is responsible for all violence throughout the world.

I'm never surprised by partisan motivated stupidity.

MMC
02-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Q10. Generally speaking, do you think the Islamic religion encourages violence more than other religions around the world, less than other religions around the world, or about the same as other religions around the world? ....snip~

https://www.scribd.com/document/338306835/CBS-News-poll-on-Trump-travel-ban-record-low-approval-rating-for-Trump#from_embed

Then there is the question that was asked. Imagine that. Something that just doesn't have to do with ancient History.

patrickt
02-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Believe. Democrat believe Christianity is as violent at Islam. Democrats don't think. The feel, believe, understand but never think.

People who wish to commit violent acts can find justification in amazing places.

FindersKeepers
02-06-2017, 11:03 AM
If one considers the totality of religious history - then indeed the case can be made that Christians have been just as violent.

While a tendency for violence has more to do with the atmosphere in which a person was brought up, Islam, being less tolerant of equal rights for women and gays, tends to be produce individuals who feel it's okay to use violence (whether it be personal or state-sanctioned) to deal with transgressors.
Who's more likely to get in a fist-fight outside a bar at closing time? Probably a Christian, just because Muslims don't tend to hang out at bars in the same numbers westernized Christians do.

But, who's more likely to commit an honor killing against a female family member? Muslims own that one.

Warring on a large scale? That's a tough one.

MMC
02-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Believe. Democrat believe Christianity is as violent at Islam. Democrats don't think. The feel, believe, understand but never think.

People who wish to commit violent acts can find justification in amazing places.

Especially in Ancient History.....not so much in the last 70 years.

Bo-4
02-06-2017, 11:33 AM
While a tendency for violence has more to do with the atmosphere in which a person was brought up, Islam, being less tolerant of equal rights for women and gays, tends to be produce individuals who feel it's okay to use violence (whether it be personal or state-sanctioned) to deal with transgressors.
Who's more likely to get in a fist-fight outside a bar at closing time? Probably a Christian, just because Muslims don't tend to hang out at bars in the same numbers westernized Christians do.

But, who's more likely to commit an honor killing against a female family member? Muslims own that one.

Warring on a large scale? That's a tough one.

Agree - assuming the question is about how things stand TODAY worldwide - Islam as a whole is more violent.

But that is not to say that the average Muslim is more violent than the average Christian ...

Particularly in the US.

MMC
02-06-2017, 11:37 AM
is....

verb

1. 3rd person singular present indicative of be (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/be).....snip~

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/is

Mister D
02-06-2017, 11:43 AM
You'll see how Bo tried a quick bait and switch. Granted, I doubt he was conscious of it but what we have here is not a question of Christians and Muslims but of Christianity and Islam. For example, the world wars of the 20th Century were fought to a large extent by nominally Christian peoples but Christianity had nothing to do with it. It is extremely difficult to justify aggression in a Christian context which is precisely why Christian inspired war has been so rare. Islam, OTOH, has never presented any such difficulty. It was spread by the sword from the very beginning and has never had a significant pacifist element.

Mister D
02-06-2017, 11:45 AM

That may be true but anyone trying to justify violence in light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ sounds like an idiot and always has. Not so with Islam.

NapRover
02-06-2017, 11:52 AM

We had a 600-year head start.

nathanbforrest45
02-06-2017, 12:04 PM
If you want to consider body count by religion I would put Islam and Communism as neck and neck. I know there will be those who will claim Communism is not a religion but basically they are full of shit.

Private Pickle
02-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Agree - assuming the question is about how things stand TODAY worldwide - Islam as a whole is more violent.

But that is not to say that the average Muslim is more violent than the average Christian ...

Particularly in the US.
If you were to calculate the law of averages between the two I would say you are incorrect.

Bo-4
02-06-2017, 12:20 PM
If you were to calculate the law of averages between the two I would say you are incorrect.

When may we see your (and Trump's) calculations?

Tell Donald that we're still waiting for his calculations on that 3-5 million illegal voters thingy ;-)

Private Pickle
02-06-2017, 12:25 PM
When may we see your (and Trump's) calculations?

Tell Donald that we're still waiting for his calculations on that 3-5 million illegal voters thingy ;-)

It's your claim. When are you going to prove it?

midcan5
02-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Shootings by religion.

http://econbrowser.com/archives/2015/12/mass-shooting-casualties-by-religion-of-perpetrator-muslim-vs-non-muslim

Common
02-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Only one-in-seven registered Democrats in America believe that Islam is more violent as a whole than Christianity, according to a new CBS poll (https://www.scribd.com/document/338306835/CBS-News-poll-on-Trump-travel-ban-record-low-approval-rating-for-Trump#from_embed).
That is because they are mostly full of shit

Republicans had a much different perspective on the matter however. Over six-in-ten believe that Islam is more violent in nature than other religions......snip~

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/justinholcomb/2017/02/06/cbs-poll-most-democrats-think-christianity-is-as-violent-as-islam-n2282018

Now CBS is finding out about their own kind of people and just how deluded they are. Not so tuned in with reality.

Mister D
02-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Shootings by religion.

http://econbrowser.com/archives/2015/12/mass-shooting-casualties-by-religion-of-perpetrator-muslim-vs-non-muslim

Another one who doesn't understand the question. The shooter's religion is meaningless unless the crime was motivated by religion. Redo your stats.

Safety
02-06-2017, 01:09 PM
LoL, and I thought the right didn't like polls...

Bo-4
02-06-2017, 01:12 PM

They are selective poll watchers ;-)

MMC
02-06-2017, 01:16 PM

LMAO.....looks like you were wrong. Tell us when you thought there were no Right leaning pollsters out there?

What, did your fragile mind get thrown for a loop? Now why isn't that surprising. :laugh:

MMC
02-06-2017, 01:17 PM
They are selective poll watchers ;-)

Tell us when you weren't? :grin:

Safety
02-06-2017, 01:19 PM
LMAO.....looks like you were wrong. Tell us when you thought there were no Right leaning pollsters out there?

What, did your fragile mind get thrown for a loop? Now why isn't that surprising. :laugh:

You're trying too hard.

MMC
02-06-2017, 01:24 PM
You're trying too hard.

And here we thought you were.....basing what you said, all from a political site. Let us know when you catch up with reality.

Oh, and when it comes to your ignorance. One doesn't have to put up much of an effort. Just sayin.

Cannons Front
02-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Honestly this is a silly question as it all relates to context. Historically Both sides have a violent past, Christian Kings killed a great many in the name of God throughout the Holy Land, the pagan areas etc. At the same time The forces of Islam invaded and killed nearly as many in order to spread their influences.

If you move forward to modern times the scale tilts against Islam but again this has to be taken in context. In the Western Developed world the question is a wash, but in the under developed areas of the world and the middle east much od the Islamic culture is closer to the 1500's and the level of violence shows it.

nic34
02-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Well Tchumpy doesn't think we're so "innocent"

Told by Fox News' Bill O'Reilly during an interview that the Russian leader is "a killer," Trump said the U.S. has killers, too.
"What do you think? Our country's so innocent?" Trump said during the taped interview broadcast

http://m.startribune.com/republicans-seek-distance-from-trump-s-comments-on-putin-us/412859623/?section=politics%2Fnational

LOL He finally got one right!

Tahuyaman
02-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Honestly this is a silly question as it all relates to context. Historically Both sides have a violent past, Christian Kings killed a great many in the name of God throughout the Holy Land, the pagan areas etc. At the same time The forces of Islam invaded and killed nearly as many in order to spread their influences..

I'm not a biblical scholar, so could you tell me which "Christian King" killed a great many people in the name of God? Can you tell me where in the bible I can read about these Christian Kings?

Cannons Front
02-06-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm not a biblical scholar, so could you tell me which "Christian King" killed a great many people in the name of God? Can you tell me where in the bible I can read about these Christian Kings?

I am not a biblical scholar either but since the crusades took place after the bible was written it is safe to say unless you are reading a revised history copy it is not in there.
That being said the Christian Crusades are an established historical fact;
The first of the Crusades began in 1095, when armies of Christians from Western Europe responded to Pope Urban II’s plea to go to war against Muslim forces in the Holy Land. After the First Crusade achieved its goal with the capture of Jerusalem in 1099, the invading Christians set up several Latin Christian states.

Led by two great rulers, King Louis VII of France and King Conrad III of Germany, the Second Crusade began in 1147. That October, the Turks crushed Conrad’s forces at Dorylaeum, site of a great victory during the First Crusade. After Louis and Conrad managed to assemble their armies at Jerusalem, they decided to attack the Syrian stronghold of Damascus with an army of some 50,000 (the largest Crusader force yet). Previously well disposed towards the Franks, Damascus’ ruler was forced to call on Nur al-Din, Zangi’s successor in Mosul, for aid. The combined Muslim forces dealt a humiliating defeat to the Crusaders, decisively ending the Second Crusade; Nur al-Din would add Damascus to his expanding empire in 1154.

The Third Crusade, led by rulers such as the aging Emperor Frederick Barbarossa (who was drowned at Anatolia before his entire army reached Syria), King Philip II of France and King Richard I of England (known as Richard the Lionheart). In September 1191, Richard’s forces defeated those of Saladin in the battle of Arsuf; it would be the only true battle of the Third Crusade.

Though the powerful Pope Innocent III called for a new Crusade in 1198, power struggles in and between Europe and Byzantium drove the Crusaders to divert their mission in order to topple the reigning Byzantine emperor, Alexius III, in favor of his nephew, who became Alexius IV in mid-1203. The new emperor’s attempts to submit the Byzantine church to Rome met with stiff resistance, and Alexius IV was strangled after a palace coup in early 1204. In response, the Crusaders declared war on Constantinople, and the Fourth Crusade ended with the conquest and looting of the magnificent Byzantine capital later that year.

The remainder of the 13th century saw a variety of Crusades aimed not so much at toppling Muslim forces in the Holy Land as at combating any and all of those seen as enemies of the Christian faith.

support for such efforts disappeared in the 16th century, with the rise of the Reformation and the corresponding decline of papal authority.

Peter1469
02-06-2017, 04:23 PM
The First Crusade was a counter attack to (1) prevent Muslim invasion of Western Europe, and (2) conquer the Levant. For a buffer, and for the obvious religious reasons.

I am not a biblical scholar either but since the crusades took place after the bible was written it is safe to say unless you are reading a revised history copy it is not in there.
That being said the Christian Crusades are an established historical fact;
The first of the Crusades began in 1095, when armies of Christians from Western Europe responded to Pope Urban II’s plea to go to war against Muslim forces in the Holy Land. After the First Crusade achieved its goal with the capture of Jerusalem in 1099, the invading Christians set up several Latin Christian states.

Led by two great rulers, King Louis VII of France and King Conrad III of Germany, the Second Crusade began in 1147. That October, the Turks crushed Conrad’s forces at Dorylaeum, site of a great victory during the First Crusade. After Louis and Conrad managed to assemble their armies at Jerusalem, they decided to attack the Syrian stronghold of Damascus with an army of some 50,000 (the largest Crusader force yet). Previously well disposed towards the Franks, Damascus’ ruler was forced to call on Nur al-Din, Zangi’s successor in Mosul, for aid. The combined Muslim forces dealt a humiliating defeat to the Crusaders, decisively ending the Second Crusade; Nur al-Din would add Damascus to his expanding empire in 1154.

The Third Crusade, led by rulers such as the aging Emperor Frederick Barbarossa (who was drowned at Anatolia before his entire army reached Syria), King Philip II of France and King Richard I of England (known as Richard the Lionheart). In September 1191, Richard’s forces defeated those of Saladin in the battle of Arsuf; it would be the only true battle of the Third Crusade.

Though the powerful Pope Innocent III called for a new Crusade in 1198, power struggles in and between Europe and Byzantium drove the Crusaders to divert their mission in order to topple the reigning Byzantine emperor, Alexius III, in favor of his nephew, who became Alexius IV in mid-1203. The new emperor’s attempts to submit the Byzantine church to Rome met with stiff resistance, and Alexius IV was strangled after a palace coup in early 1204. In response, the Crusaders declared war on Constantinople, and the Fourth Crusade ended with the conquest and looting of the magnificent Byzantine capital later that year.

The remainder of the 13th century saw a variety of Crusades aimed not so much at toppling Muslim forces in the Holy Land as at combating any and all of those seen as enemies of the Christian faith.

support for such efforts disappeared in the 16th century, with the rise of the Reformation and the corresponding decline of papal authority.

birddog
02-06-2017, 04:35 PM

If you would happen to be referring to the Christian Crusades, I believe the ones Christians killed were muslims. That was a good thing, and we need to do it again, the radical ones that is.

Bethere
02-06-2017, 04:45 PM

Hitler fits your example nicely.

Gott mit uns.

Mister D
02-06-2017, 04:52 PM

Gott mit uns.
That's actually of Prussian origin and its use by the German military predates Hitler's birth. lol

Bethere
02-06-2017, 05:03 PM
That's actually of Prussian origin and its use by the German military predates Hitler's birth. lol

His armies marched off to die in Russian snowdrifts wearing gott mit uns belt buckles while carrying gott mit uns flags.

thanks for helping the master make his point.

Tahuyaman
02-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Gott mit uns.

then you chime in and demonstrate how one can identify an idiot through their internet postings.

Mister D
02-06-2017, 06:23 PM
His armies marched off to die in Russian snowdrifts wearing gott mit uns belt buckles while carrying gott mit uns flags.

thanks for helping the master make his point.

Those snowdrifts were horrible. Worse than the T-34s! lol Anyway, the phrase is much older than Hitler and has nothing to do with Nazism. You stand corrected...again. :wink:

Mister D
02-06-2017, 06:24 PM
then you chime in and demonstrate how one can identify an idiot through their internet postings.

It's the sort of thing that sounds profound after a bong hit but leaves everyone else wondering WTF you're talking about. lol

Tahuyaman
02-06-2017, 06:46 PM
It's the sort of thing that sounds profound after a bong hit but leaves everyone else wondering WTF you're talking about. lol

Bethere is often confused and way off topic

rcfieldz
02-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Where do Republicans burn private property and cars? Spray paint buildings? Yell obscenities thru bull horns telling the public to revolt and murder people?

nic34
02-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Where do Republicans burn private property and cars? Spray paint buildings? Yell obscenities thru bull horns telling the public to revolt and murder people?

Where do democrats do that?