PDA

View Full Version : tPF Do you support Trump's travel ban?

Captain Obvious
02-07-2017, 10:29 PM
Simple question - yes, no, or derp.

Poll is PUBLIC

Captain Obvious
02-07-2017, 10:31 PM
For the record, I do NOT. I think it's fear tactics, not allowing countries to travel here. It's not immigration control, it's travel control and it feeds into what terrorists what which is us to live in fear. And it's stupid.

gamewell45
02-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Not sure; I still need more facts from the Trump administration, but the problem is I don't know what is the truth and was is alternate truth.

Captain Obvious
02-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Wait... poll is NOT PUBLIC, I fuck this up all the time.

derp

Peter1469
02-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Temporary ban while the vetting standards are tightened up.

NapRover
02-08-2017, 07:00 AM
No problem with it. Potus has the authority and mandate.

Crepitus
02-08-2017, 07:17 AM
No. Nothing but grandstanding to pander to his scared, racist, republican base.

FindersKeepers
02-08-2017, 07:17 AM
I support it for a couple of reasons. First, it's temporary so it's not set in stone.

Second, and the biggest reason I support it, is because it puts Middle Eastern nations on notice that the US will not support cultures that demean or subjugate certain groups of people -- gays, women and those of other backgrounds (not Islamic).

I don't see it as having a huge deterrent on terrorism, but it sends a clear message that the US will put the US first and foremost. That message has gotten blurred in the past decade as our leaders bent over backward to keep from insulting Islamic nations.

The simple fact is that US laws and customs are more evolved than Middle Eastern laws and customs.

The travel ban is just one small psychological step in helping the rest of the world understand that we will not abide some of the trouble other western nations are experiencing due to large groups of people from other cultures that think the country they move to owes them something.

In the US, American citizens come first. That's the real message behind the travel ban.

waltky
03-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Judge Robart declines to ban the ban...
http://www.newsforum.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
Trump travel ban: Judge declines to reinstate ruling
Sat, 11 Mar 2017 - The ruling comes from the same judge who blocked Donald Trump's first attempt at a ban.

A US judge has declined to issue an emergency order banning President Donald Trump's revised travel ban. The ruling came from Seattle district judge James Robart, the same judge who had issued the order that in effect halted implementation of the first ban. Judge Robart said lawyers needed to file more extensive documentation. The new 90-day ban on citizens of six mostly Muslim nations is due to come into effect on Thursday but has sparked legal action in a number of states.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/2A3B/production/_95111801_038007254-1.jpg
A protest in New York against the ban. The state is one of several to launch legal challenges

Lawyers in Washington state had asked Judge Robart to extend his decision on the first ban to cover the second. But the judge cited procedural reasons for not doing so. He said a complaint or a motion would have to be filed before he could rule. The justice department had argued that since the initial travel order ban had been revoked, the judge's first ruling could no longer apply. Those opposing that argument said the new travel ban had the same effect as the original.

In succeeding with the first ban, they argued the move was unconstitutional and damaging to businesses in Washington state. White House spokesman Sean Spicer said on Thursday that the administration believed the new order would withstand legal scrutiny. Several states have launched legal challenges.

Which states have launched challenges and why? (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39241321)

waltky
07-20-2017, 04:39 AM
Granny glad to know...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
Supreme Court says grandparents, grandkids exempted from travel ban
Thursday 20th July, 2017 - The Supreme Court dealt President Donald Trump's government a fresh setback Wednesday, July 19, saying its controversial travel ban cannot be applied to grandparents and other close relatives of people living in the United States -- for now, AFP says.0

The court accepted a Hawaii federal judge's ruling last week that the Trump administration had too narrowly defined what constitutes "close family relationships" to determine exceptions to the ban on travelers from six mainly Muslim countries -- Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. That left in place Judge Derrick Watson's wider definition, which includes grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and cousins of people living in the United States. But in its brief order, the court backed the Trump administration by staying the part of Watson's ruling that would have expanded exemptions to its 120-day ban on all refugees.

The order said the Supreme Court's ruling is temporary, pending a federal appeals court's review of the issues. The Supreme Court itself was partially the source of the dispute, having ruled in late June that the 90-day travel ban, aimed at better screening out potential security risks, can be broadly enforced for travelers from the six countries "who lack any bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States." Days later, the government interpreted that to mean that only "close family" was exempted -- which it defined as the parents, spouses, children, sons- and daughters-in-law, siblings and step- and half-siblings of people in the United States.

http://cdn.bignewsnetwork.com/pan1500541662.jpg

Hawaii, one of several states fighting the travel ban since Trump first announced it in January, filed a court motion arguing that grandparents and grandchildren were by all measures also "close family." After Watson accepted that argument, the Justice Department appealed the issue to the Supreme Court, asking the court to make its own definition of "bona fide relationship" and "close family." In its order Wednesday, the high court refused.

Watson had also ordered the administration to exempt from its 120-day refugee ban any refugee who already has a relationship with a US resettlement agency. But the court overruled that, allowing the California-based Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals to rule on the issue. The Trump administration issued a one-line response to the high court's ruling. "The Department of Justice looks forward to presenting its arguments to the Ninth Circuit," it said.

http://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/254037880/supreme-court-says-grandparents-grandkids-exempted-from-travel-ban

katzgar
07-20-2017, 06:54 AM
911 was a saudi job so the ban is aimed at the wrong people. The vetting process was tightened up by Obama so trump is just pandering to his deplorables. Trump wants the ban for 90 days but he has been president for 150 days, supporting the ban now means you cant do math.

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 06:56 AM
911 was a saudi job so the ban is aimed at the wrong people. The vetting process was tightened up by Obama so trump is just pandering to his deplorables. Trump wants the ban for 90 days but he has been president for 150 days, supporting the ban now means you cant do math.

Does the word transnational terrorism mean anything to you?

Interesting that people who hate the word nationalism are so intent on using it with a band of terrorists who were anti-nationalists.

donttread
07-20-2017, 07:24 AM
For the record, I do NOT. I think it's fear tactics, not allowing countries to travel here. It's not immigration control, it's travel control and it feeds into what terrorists what which is us to live in fear. And it's stupid.

We should not allow people from hostile nations or nations we are being hostile to into the country. Why would we do that?

donttread
07-20-2017, 07:26 AM

Interesting that people who hate the word nationalism are so intent on using it with a band of terrorists who were anti-nationalists.

You've heard about how far apples fall from trees , right? One apple might roll far away , but not 16.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 07:27 AM

you are in a parallel universe. you ban certain moslems but not the ones that hurt us and say its ok because of transnational terrorism? totally irrational.

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 07:58 AM
You've heard about how far apples fall from trees , right? One apple might roll far away , but not 16.

lol

How is the gardening coming along?

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 07:59 AM
you are in a parallel universe. you ban certain moslems but not the ones that hurt us and say its ok because of transnational terrorism? totally irrational.

Stupid comment.

Leave foreign policy to the smart people.

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 08:01 AM
I know the hard left has a hard on for Saudi Arabia and their historic support for Jihaddists. Will the hard left recongized that the Saudi royal family killed several of its own after 9-11. Likely not. Just as they embrace nationalism only when dealing with transnational terrorists.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Stupid comment.

Leave foreign policy to the smart people.

banning the non criminals and not banning the criminals is classic trump stupidity...good job

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 08:17 AM
banning the non criminals and not banning the criminals is classic trump stupidity...good job

It was an O-list.... lol

katzgar
07-20-2017, 08:30 AM
nope, just more trump ignorant posts. the vetting has been in place since Obama. The ignorant deplorables dont know that.

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 08:39 AM
nope, just more trump ignorant posts. the vetting has been in place since Obama. The ignorant deplorables dont know that.

lol

Comey testified before Congress: you can't vet people from Syria.

As if you needed someone to tell you that....

Newpublius
07-20-2017, 08:55 AM

But there should be some fear because we are actively bombing Syria. I am sorry, but don't bomb a country and then drop visa applications all over the place. We shouldn't be involved, but we are. 9/11 was blowback. They don't hate us for our freedoms, they hate us because we meddle in their affairs and kill people.

US needs immigrants, no question, but we don't necessarily need immigrants from any given country. There's no shortage, and as long as we are a bunch of war mongering interventionists we should expect blowback from immigrants fron these regions.

Better idea: increase immigration from South America.....

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 09:07 AM
But there should be some fear because we are actively bombing Syria. I am sorry, but don't bomb a country and then drop visa applications all over the place. We shouldn't be involved, but we are. 9/11 was blowback. They don't hate us for our freedoms, they hate us because we meddle in their affairs and kill people.

US needs immigrants, no question, but we don't necessarily need immigrants from any given country. There's no shortage, and as long as we are a bunch of war mongering interventionists we should expect blowback from immigrants fron these regions.

Asia has the educated immigrants that we could use.

The last thing we need is another elementary school dropout.

MisterVeritis
07-20-2017, 09:14 AM

I think we should increase immigration from Europe. With the Islamicization of Britain, Sweden, Germany, France, Italy, and Greece, I am sure there are plenty of smart non-third worlders we could choose from.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 09:15 AM
lol

sure you can and whats more I have shown you the process they go through in the past and you pretend you are unaware of it. your posts are no more than trolling when you know better than what you say.

MisterVeritis
07-20-2017, 09:17 AM
sure you can and whats more I have shown you the process they go through in the past and you pretend you are unaware of it. your posts are no more than trolling when you know better than what you say.
If you want to make presidential decisions get off your butt and run.

Are you the guy who works in the anti-American State Department?

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 09:21 AM

You don't know what you are talking about.

Law enforcement and intel professionals say you can't vet people from war torn Syria. Which is only common sense. And you come along and claim that you can vet them? Who are you going to call in Raqqa for a security check? lol

get out of here.

Tahuyaman
07-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Simple question - yes, no, or derp.

Poll is PUBLIC

I do support it. Once we have the means to ensure we aren't bringing in people who intend to commit acts of violence, the restrictions can be lifted.

Tahuyaman
07-20-2017, 10:33 AM

How? Ouija board, chrystal ball, tarot cards?

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:16 PM

Law enforcement and intel professionals say you can't vet people from war torn Syria. Which is only common sense. And you come along and claim that you can vet them? Who are you going to call in Raqqa for a security check? lol

get out of here.

prove it, no law enforcement person said they couldnt be vetted.

MisterVeritis
07-20-2017, 12:17 PM
What is your expertise, again?

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:18 PM
How? Ouija board, chrystal ball, tarot cards?

there is plenty available on the vetting process and I have provided a link explaining that process in the past which wasnt that hard to click on. your post is dishonest.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:19 PM

my main expertise is showing up dishonest posts

MisterVeritis
07-20-2017, 12:20 PM
my main expertise is showing up dishonest posts
Do you work for the anti-American State Department?

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:21 PM
lol

your comey comment is a lie.

Captain Obvious
07-20-2017, 12:21 PM

Not spelling and gramnar

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:22 PM
Do you work for the anti-American State Department?

still the ban is just pandering to the ignorant

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:23 PM
Not spelling and gramnar

classic trump style childish post

MisterVeritis
07-20-2017, 12:24 PM
This anti-Americanism makes me smile.

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 12:25 PM

That is a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ev2e7i-NZ48

Captain Obvious
07-20-2017, 12:26 PM
classic trump style childish post

Classic huh?

In case you missed it, I created this thread opposing the ban, Einstein.

Standard boilerplate lefty bedshitting derpism. Can't get enough of that around here lately.

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Who do you work for? The Russians, maybe?

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:38 PM
That is a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=ev2e7i-NZ48

bullcrap. listen to the clip before you post it. Trying to say they couldnt be vetted is still a lie.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Who do you work for? The Russians, maybe?

I am tired of lies by the right wing

katzgar
07-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Classic huh?

In case you missed it, I created this thread opposing the ban, Einstein.

Standard boilerplate lefty bedshitting derpism. Can't get enough of that around here lately.

more of the same

Tahuyaman
07-20-2017, 12:54 PM
there is plenty available on the vetting process and I have provided a link explaining that process in the past which wasnt that hard to click on. your post is dishonest.

How does one create an effective vetting process when there are no records to vet? Use the "best guess" method?

Tahuyaman
07-20-2017, 12:55 PM
I am tired of lies by the right wing

specifically what lies are you talking about?

Tahuyaman
07-20-2017, 12:58 PM

get out of here.

I'm trying to tell you....Ouija board.

Captain Obvious
07-20-2017, 01:24 PM
more of the same

From you -agreed.

Bedshitters like you around here are a dime a dozen, you bring nothing new to the forum.

Always said, we need smarter liberals around here but they always get scared off by bottom feeders like you.

texan
07-20-2017, 02:58 PM

I don't mind taking a pause and reviewing something based on even the Obama admin saying it needed to be done. Don't see the harm. Permanently or extended for a crazy amount of time yes that's a problem. All that said I doubt it matters.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 08:41 PM
I don't mind taking a pause and reviewing something based on even the Obama admin saying it needed to be done. Don't see the harm. Permanently or extended for a crazy amount of time yes that's a problem. All that said I doubt it matters.
its already been done

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 08:42 PM
your comey comment is a lie.
Incorrect

liar.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 08:43 PM
How does one create an effective vetting process when there are no records to vet? Use the "best guess" method?

your ignorance is amazing

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 08:44 PM
From you -agreed.

Bedshitters like you around here are a dime a dozen, you bring nothing new to the forum.

Always said, we need smarter liberals around here but they always get scared off by bottom feeders like you.

We have another Papa Oscar Sierra to deal with.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 08:46 PM
From you -agreed.

instead of doing your homework or even reading links provided that the process was tightened under Obama. Instead of taking your shoes off and doing some simple math that would show Trump is asking for 90 days he has had 150 days to do you just decide to make a fool of yourself. typical trump guy.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 08:48 PM
We have another Papa Oscar Sierra to deal with.

That must have been someone trying to cut through your ignorance

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 08:49 PM
That must have been someone trying to cut through your ignorance

lol

learn military speak. Tool.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Incorrect

liar.

why is everything you post a lie? no facts eh? http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2016/aug/12/carlos-beruff/fbi-admitted-it-cannot-properly-vet-middle-eastern/

Peter1469
07-20-2017, 08:58 PM
why is everything you post a lie? no facts eh? http://www.politifact.com/florida/statements/2016/aug/12/carlos-beruff/fbi-admitted-it-cannot-properly-vet-middle-eastern/

You can stop being an idiot. It is up to you.

Who you going to call in Syria? Will they be dodging bombs as you ask your silly questions?

GD. This really is unnecessary. Not even libs think you are smart.

katzgar
07-20-2017, 09:02 PM
You can stop being an idiot. It is up to you.

Who you going to call in Syria? Will they be dodging bombs as you ask your silly questions?

GD. This really is unnecessary. Not even libs think you are smart.

you still arent smart enough to learn about the vetting process.

Tahuyaman
07-20-2017, 09:22 PM
your ignorance is amazing

Answer the question. How do you vet people who come from a place which does not keep records?

I know your default position is to throw out a mindless insult, but try to answer the question.

Tahuyaman
07-20-2017, 09:25 PM
That must have been someone trying to cut through your ignorance. You should be careful about how you so casually call others ignorant. You are setting yourself up.

Captain Obvious
07-20-2017, 09:31 PM
instead of doing your homework or even reading links provided that the process was tightened under Obama. Instead of taking your shoes off and doing some simple math that would show Trump is asking for 90 days he has had 150 days to do you just decide to make a fool of yourself. typical trump guy.

Right, I'm a Trump guy.

That I didn't vote for him and I criticize him regularly.... sure.

The thing about you cookie-cutter bottom feeders is that you need to create your demons to dispell.

Have fun.

donttread
07-21-2017, 07:18 AM
lol

How is the gardening coming along?

Do you have any hobbies I can use to deflect discussions when you have made a valid point I cannot deal with? Then we would be even.