PDA

View Full Version : What is the GOP going to do for veterans?

JVV
02-08-2017, 05:43 PM
Any word?

Common
02-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Thats a question that hasnt been answered yet to my knowledge

Captain Obvious
02-08-2017, 06:51 PM
Can be worse than what teh O'bama and his cronies did.

How we treat our vets in this country, the rank-and-file vets is a disgrace.

The higher end vets do well I think and that's consistent with our society.

valley ranch
02-08-2017, 07:46 PM
What should be done, and I think will be, is keep our promise to our vets. Give them special care and advantage.
President Trump mentioned our vets before he became President. I look to see that their care and treatment is much improved.

birddog
02-08-2017, 10:58 PM
What should be done, and I think will be, is keep our promise to our vets. Give them special care and advantage.
President Trump mentioned our vets before he became President. I look to see that their care and treatment is much improved.

Inside information tells me that it is quite difficult for the VA to hire full-time high quality physicians of various specialties. That problem will take years to correct, so I think some additional usage of private care should be allowed by the VA.

Captain Obvious
02-08-2017, 11:03 PM
Inside information tells me that it is quite difficult for the VA to hire full-time high quality physicians of various specialties. That problem will take years to correct, so I think some additional usage of private care should be allowed by the VA.

I'm a hospital CFO and I can tell you from an industry standpoint, hospital CFO's taking VA hospital jobs are essentially career killers.

I would open a bait shop on a coast somewhere before taking a VA job.

Casper
02-09-2017, 02:08 AM
Any word?

Not much from what they put into their budget, the GOP has done what the Dems do when it comes to Vets, they give it good lip service, make a few minor changes and for the most part not nearly enough it done to help our Vets. Sadly, we have around 22 Vets killing themselves every Day, by the time anyone gets around to actually doing anything many will already be gone. I personally find that disgusting, but nothing new as to how we treat those that put themselves in harms way for the Nation, it is something this Nation should be ashamed of. As for the trump, I doubt the trump will do much of anything, he has not shown any real respect for our vets and do not see him doing much to help, maybe he will prove me wrong but I doubt it.

gamewell45
02-09-2017, 02:57 AM
Can be worse than what teh O'bama and his cronies did.

How we treat our vets in this country, the rank-and-file vets is a disgrace.

The higher end vets do well I think and that's consistent with our society.

In all fairness, I don't think any of the modern-day presidents have done much of anything for the rank-and-file vets. I think the GI Bill (re-adjustment act) was the last good thing the government did for the vets and that was during LBJ's term in 1966.

Cletus
02-09-2017, 03:40 AM
The only thing they need to do for vets is make sure the government honors its contracts.

AeonPax
02-09-2017, 04:55 AM
`
`

https://s27.postimg.org/4g3qd5mer/homeless_vets.jpg

Peter1469
02-09-2017, 08:34 AM
In all fairness, I don't think any of the modern-day presidents have done much of anything for the rank-and-file vets. I think the GI Bill (re-adjustment act) was the last good thing the government did for the vets and that was during LBJ's term in 1966.

The new GI bill made after 9-11 blows that old one away. One year of benefits is almost double 4 years of benefits under that old plan.

Tahuyaman
02-09-2017, 10:45 AM
What is the GOP going to do for veterans?Any word?

Hopefully a lot more than the Obama administration did.

Tahuyaman
02-09-2017, 10:48 AM

I'm a vet. Speaking for myself, I don't want any advantage. I just want my government to fulfill the promises they made to me while I was spending 20+ years in the Army.

Subdermal
02-09-2017, 11:00 AM
`
`

https://s27.postimg.org/4g3qd5mer/homeless_vets.jpg

Was this meme created in 2009? It seems absolutely appropriate for the Obama Administration, and anyone who supported it.

Cletus
02-09-2017, 11:02 AM
I'm a vet. Speaking for myself, I don't want any advantage. I just want my government to fulfill the promises they made to me while I was spending 20+ years in the Army.

Exactly.

AeonPax
02-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Was this meme created in 2009? It seems absolutely appropriate for the Obama Administration, and anyone who supported it.
`
To me, it states a reality. I haven't seen any groundswell of support for vets from either side of the duopoly.

JVV
02-10-2017, 08:39 AM
`
To me, it states a reality. I haven't seen any groundswell of support for vets from either side of the duopoly.

^^ that

During the Obama administration, Republicans sacrificed veterans to their campaign to block Democrats from getting anything done.

Now that they're in charge, I'm wondering if they'll finally step up.

Doesn't sound like anyone here has heard of anything they plan to do.

Casper
02-10-2017, 10:31 AM
^^ that

During the Obama administration, Republicans sacrificed veterans to their campaign to block Democrats from getting anything done.

Google the GOP 2017 budget, the site has their plans, from what I saw it is just more kicking the can around.

resister
02-10-2017, 12:02 PM
^^ that

I heard some kind of EO about the VA on FOX news, I was not paying much attention, but if so, we should be hearing about it soon.

Peter1469
02-10-2017, 12:57 PM
They are starting to use marijuana in trials with Vets for pain management and PTSD. That is something new for Vets.

Don
02-10-2017, 01:18 PM
They had a bit on the news yesterday about the V.A. hospital in Phoenix. Not a lot has changed yet but they are being more careful about covering their asses. The story was more about the retributions against the whistle blowers at the hospital. They don't like whistle blowers. This is something I expect the Trump administration to put an end to. He's only been president for 3 weeks but I think it will be a big thing on his agenda. He said on the campaign trail that it was a disgrace how our vets are treated and I expect him to live up to his promise to change that. Personally I think the best thing for vets is to not make so many of them be disabled by unnecessary conflicts.

Other than giving wounded vets nothing but the best for the rest of their lives I never expected any preferential treatment just because I served. A little help with education and securing a home loan is alright but not special treatment. When I was working our personnel department came around to the vets and reminded us that we could sign up to get help with promotions because of the minority type thing. Vietnam era vets could get special consideration. We told them it was an insult because it implied that we needed preferential treatment to get ahead. Not to mention that anyone who was in the military during the Vietnam conflict was eligible even if they hadn't been in Vietnam. No need to feel sorry for us, save that for the vets who died or were injured and don't feel sorry for them either but honor them and take care of those that need it.

patrickt
02-10-2017, 07:04 PM
Any word?
I don't know what the current administration will do. We do know what the Democrats did for veterans, don't we?

resister
02-10-2017, 09:37 PM
I don't know what the current administration will do. We do know what the Democrats did for veterans, don't we?
Jack ca ca , right?

JVV
02-11-2017, 01:47 PM

I know Democrats tried and Republicans shut them down. Republicans being the party of "no" even when it came to helping veterans is why I left the GOP. That showed me the party I grew up with was thoroughly dead.

But thanks for the deflection. What is the GOP doing now that they're in charge and have no more excuses?

birddog
02-11-2017, 02:29 PM
I know Democrats tried and Republicans shut them down. Republicans being the party of "no" even when it came to helping veterans is why I left the GOP. That showed me the party I grew up with was thoroughly dead.

But thanks for the deflection. What is the GOP doing now that they're in charge and have no more excuses?

You and the truth are far apart!

JVV
02-11-2017, 04:44 PM
You and the truth are far apart!

Another non-answer.

What is the GOP going to do for veterans?

You have insults, but do you have answers?

MisterVeritis
02-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Another non-answer.
What do you want to be done? And why do you want it?

Subdermal
02-11-2017, 06:19 PM

Shut them down? Where? When? Particular in light of the fact that Obama had YEARS of a Dem majority in both Houses, and the GOP couldn't stop anything.

So you link this claim you make. I call bullshit.

patrickt
02-11-2017, 07:42 PM

You've done your duty. I'm sure the comrades will be proud of you.

The Republicans did nothing to stop the Democrats in the VA from awarding each other bonuses for improving nothing.

Next we hear how the Republicans prevented the Democrats from cleaning up voter fraud, dealt with corruption in the IRS, investigating the sale of automatic weapons to drug cartels by the ATF, and it was the Republicans who stopped the loyal, patriotic Democrats for preventing IRAN from attaining nuclear weapons.

JVV
02-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Shut them down? Where? When? Particular in light of the fact that Obama had YEARS of a Dem majority in both Houses, and the GOP couldn't stop anything.

So you link this claim you make. I call bull$#@!.

Years?

He had two years.

His first two years.

He had six years of Republicans determined not to let him have any legislative accomplishments. Well, they were determined for all 8 years and did a good job of obstructing even in the first two, but they held the House for six years, and the obstruction was full blown.

JVV
02-11-2017, 08:29 PM
What do you want to be done? And why do you want it?

Jobs programs. Housing for the homeless. Fix the VA.

That'll do for a start.

You really have to ask why?

MisterVeritis
02-11-2017, 08:35 PM
1) Jobs programs.
2) Housing for the homeless.
3) Fix the VA.
4?)That'll do for a start.
You really have to ask why?
Yes. Why?

1) Would veterans prefer a real job or a jobs program job? Why wouldn't the overall economic improvement be sufficient for veterans?
2) The homeless, whatever that means, often have far greater problems. Maybe we should focus on helping to fix their far greater problems. Frequently, drug abuse, alcoholism and mental illness are root problems.
3) Fix the VA. What does this mean to you?

birddog
02-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Another non-answer.

I was referring to the first part of your post obviously. The dims did nothing for the Vets in 2009-10 when they had both houses. Republicans needed to do more when they could, but they were hampered by the reality it's almost impossible to fire government employees, and it's still that way.

I believe the republicans will pass laws that makes it easier to clean house in the VA, but there will still be problems.

Subdermal
02-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Years?

He had two years.

His first two years.

And how did Obama get shut down by the GOP on taking care of veterans in his first two years? Here you are, asking what the GOP is going to do for vets in the first two weeks...right?

He had six years of Republicans determined not to let him have any legislative accomplishments. Well, they were determined for all 8 years and did a good job of obstructing even in the first two, but they held the House for six years, and the obstruction was full blown.

Again: you didn't answer the question. How did the GOP hinder Obama from "taking care of veterans"?

Ethereal
02-12-2017, 09:23 AM
Vets who haven't been in combat shouldn't be getting such massive education benefits. You could spend a few years as an admin clerk, having never left the country, and get hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of education and housing benefits after getting out. For what? Riding a desk? A job any civilian could have done? Please.

Peter1469
02-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Vets who haven't been in combat shouldn't be getting such massive education benefits. You could spend a few years as an admin clerk, having never left the country, and get hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of education and housing benefits after getting out. For what? Riding a desk? A job any civilian could have done? Please.
The old GI Bill with the College Fund kicker (given to infantry) was worth $36K over 4 years of full time college.

JVV
02-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Yes. Why?

1) Would veterans prefer a real job or a jobs program job? Why wouldn't the overall economic improvement be sufficient for veterans?
2) The homeless, whatever that means, often have far greater problems. Maybe we should focus on helping to fix their far greater problems. Frequently, drug abuse, alcoholism and mental illness are root problems.

I don't feel like having this question turned back on me.

Either you know of GOP plans to help veterans or you don't.

So far it sounds like they STILL have no plans. They obstructed when Obama was in office. And so far it still sounds like they have nothing.

JVV
02-12-2017, 09:41 PM
And how did Obama get shut down by the GOP on taking care of veterans in his first two years? Here you are, asking what the GOP is going to do for vets in the first two weeks...right?

Again: you didn't answer the question. How did the GOP hinder Obama from "taking care of veterans"?

I'm not going to go dig up the details.

That is a distraction.

The past is the past. Does the GOP have any current plans to help veterans?

JVV
02-12-2017, 09:44 PM
So much dodging. So much "but Democrats were awful".

The GOP is in charge now.

Do they have ideas for helping veterans or don't they?

I'm done asking. Sounds like the answer is a resounding no, they don't.

Ethereal
02-12-2017, 09:46 PM
So much dodging. So much "but Democrats were awful".

The GOP is in charge now.

Do they have ideas for helping veterans or don't they?

I'm done asking. Sounds like the answer is a resounding no, they don't.

I'm not a Republican so I have no idea. But I do object to the idea that the government must "do" something for vets when they're already showering benefits on them. How much more should they be doing, do you think? And do you think a desk jockey who was in the military should get all the same benefits as someone who actually went into combat?

Ethereal
02-12-2017, 09:52 PM
Here are some of the benefits I know about.

Post 9/11 GI Bill: SUPER generous. Will pay up to the highest in-state tuition at a public university PLUS a monthly living stipend based on the cost of living in your zip code. While I was living in Chicago, my stipend was around $1,700 a month.

VA Mortgages: Allows a veteran to get a taxpayer-guaranteed housing loan. If I'm not mistaken, there are no closing costs and the interest rate is much more favorable. As long as you have a job with a steady income, you WILL get a loan for a house.

VA Healthcare: I've never used this benefit, but it's available to me if I want it. Vets with disability have higher levels of care.

Federal job preference: Veterans are automatically given extra consideration when applying for federal jobs.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Really, what more do they need at this point? They have education, housing, healthcare, and jobs.

Cthulhu
02-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Yes. Why?

#3. Dismantle the functionless organ.

Fear profits a man nothing.

Ethereal
02-12-2017, 10:03 PM
Oh, and if you accrue five years of federal service, you qualify for a pension.

MisterVeritis
02-13-2017, 03:27 AM
I don't feel like having this question turned back on me.

Either you know of GOP plans to help veterans or you don't.

So far it sounds like they STILL have no plans. They obstructed when Obama was in office. And so far it still sounds like they have nothing.
You come across as a dissatisfied, petulant liberal. Was that your intention?