PDA

View Full Version : Sessions, Trump And A Renewed Nixon Drug War

Robo
02-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Now that Jeff Sessions has been confirmed by the full body of the Senate and judging by Trump’s meeting yesterday with a collective of national Sheriffs, I believe we can expect a renewed effort in the unconstitutional national Drug War.Sessions, notorious as a drug warrior is bound by his misguided principles to take on the sovereignty of those States who have invoked their constitutional State Powers and legalized marijuana and enforce the unconstitutional federal marijuana prohibition drug laws. I look for multiple federal litigation actions relative to that prediction.

Yesterday Trump meeting with Sheriffs from several States promised them to enforce and support asset confiscation laws which are designed to punish and provide disincentive for drug possession, which violate the 4th & 5th amendments of our Constitution.

Stand by for a renewed hostile and violent Drug War and a refilling of the jails that Obama just reduced in non-violent inmates, (one of his few principled and constitutional actions.)

Private Pickle
02-09-2017, 11:13 AM
Doubtful. Trump has already said that he is in favor of allowing the States decide. Being a Republican and being pro-drug are no longer mutually exclusive as this last election has shown. This will be a battle the Trump administration will most likely avoid given they seem to have higher priorities on their agenda.

MisterVeritis
02-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Yesterday Trump meeting with Sheriffs from several States promised them to enforce and support asset confiscation laws which are designed to punish and provide disincentive for drug possession, which violate the 4th & 5th amendments of our Constitution.

Can you highlight in a transcript of Trumps's speech where Trump promised to enforce and support asset confiscation? I unintentionally watched nearly all of the speech. I did not hear anything like what you are claiming.

DGUtley
02-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Robo -- I'm curious (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you) why do you say that the W.O.D. is unconstitutional? ..or that the prohibition on MJ is unconstitutional?

MisterVeritis
02-09-2017, 02:13 PM
@Robo (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=2210) -- I'm curious (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you) why do you say that the W.O.D. is unconstitutional? ..or that the prohibition on MJ is unconstitutional?
The Constitution does not give the federal government any authority to regulate drugs.

Robo
02-09-2017, 03:20 PM
@Robo (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=2210) -- I'm curious (and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with you) why do you say that the W.O.D. is unconstitutional? ..or that the prohibition on MJ is unconstitutional?

There is no constitutional authority for the feds to operate a prohibition on some drugs. They found it necessary in 1919 to amend the Constitution to prohibit alcohol. No such amendment was ever presented or ratified for some drugs. Aside from that drug laws are the authority of the States. see Amendment 10.