PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent lefty

Evmetro
02-10-2017, 11:13 PM
Lefties here cringe when they see me start a thread about lefties, but bear with me on this one. I was watching yesterday's tucker carson, and he brought a lefty college student on who seemed pretty intelligent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXqCow9i36c

The interview was about free speech and milo, and I say hats off to this lefty! See, I compliment lefties if they deserve it.

Safety
02-10-2017, 11:14 PM
LoL

resister
02-10-2017, 11:17 PM
I saw this and he gives me hope that not all are lost!

resister
02-10-2017, 11:18 PM
LoL
Again, I click view post button in vain...LOL

Evmetro
LoL

I see that you watched the 5:27 minute video in one minute!

resister
Rare as hens teeth!

resister
02-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Again, I click view post button in vain...LOL
Amazing, I saw this on fox yesterday, bet he did not!!!

Chris
02-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Meh, only one bite. Unimpressive.

resister
02-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Meh, only one bite. Unimpressive.

This guy made good sense, all leftys should watch it. Try it!(you don't have to be left to watch it)

Crepitus
02-10-2017, 11:43 PM
Just another thinly veiled attempt to insult everyone on the left.

resister
02-10-2017, 11:47 PM
Just another thinly veiled attempt to insult everyone on the left.
Did you bother to watch the link? Very doubtfull, watch it, he gives the left some credibility. He condemns the Berkley riots. (since you won't watch) Freebie.

Common Sense
02-10-2017, 11:52 PM
The guy is right, it is a small but vocal minority who are trying to shut down free speech.

The right seems to think that's the majority of liberals. That's no more true than implying the majority of right are aligned with the KKK.

resister
02-10-2017, 11:55 PM
The guy is right, it is a small but vocal minority who are trying to shut down free speech.

The right seems to think that's the majority of liberals. That's no more true than implying the majority of right are aligned with the KKK.
This guy can save your party(or people like him) Your statement has one flaw, this behavior is far more common to the left. Recruit guys like him. It is your only hope.

Standing Wolf
02-10-2017, 11:58 PM
Matt Teitelbaum is right, of course - it is a very loud, self-righteous and entitled (those last two adjectives being mine) minority of Liberals who approve of shutting down anyone's message with violence and civil disorder. Tarring Liberals generally with that tendency is just a Straw Man - attributing to a group of people one doesn't approve of some belief that they do not, in fact, hold. It is no different than painting all Conservatives as racists, simply because some demonstrably are.

Carlson's citing of a poll taken among college students doesn't take into account the obvious fact that only a very small minority of Liberals are currently college students. Political correctness - even if it must be maintained by threats or even acts of violence - has become a near religion on many campuses...and, as Robert A. Heinlein wrote, "Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so." P.C. fanatics are just another breed of religionists, playing the "more devout than you" game.

Common Sense
02-10-2017, 11:58 PM
This guy can save your party(or people like him) Your statement has one flaw, this behavior is far more common to the left. Recruit guys like him. It is your only hope.

That's your perspective. From my side I see some on the right screaming about communism and globalists with the same hysterical screams.

Evmetro
02-11-2017, 12:00 AM

I think that the small but vocal minority is what is destroying the credibility of the left right now. I also suspect that the MSM and Hollywood make up a very large portion of the small but vocal minority. I would not be surprised if there were many more lefties out there who think as clearly as the student in this video.

Crepitus
02-11-2017, 12:01 AM
Did you bother to watch the link? Very doubtfull, watch it, he gives the left some credibility. He condemns the Berkley riots. (since you won't watch) Freebie.

I watched it, my opinion remains the same. This is the OP's MO. The left isn't trying to shut down free speech, that's RWNJ propaganda.

resister
02-11-2017, 12:07 AM
I watched it, my opinion remains the same. This is the OP's MO. The left isn't trying to shut down free speech, that's RWNJ propaganda.
Crepitus, it was leftist students who rioted about this guy speaking,or was it a RWNJ(insult)conspiricay at play? ALL EARS dude?

Crepitus
02-11-2017, 12:13 AM
Crepitus, it was leftist students who rioted about this guy speaking,or was it a RWNJ(insult)conspiricay at play? ALL EARS dude?

Wasn't the students rioting. Either anarchists with their own agenda or possibly even people Yiannopoulos himself paid to do it. He thrives on controversy. He goes to places he knows he's not welcome, antagonize people and causes sttife, then writes/talks about it to make money.

resister
02-11-2017, 12:17 AM
Wasn't the students rioting. Either anarchists with their own agenda or possibly even people Yiannopoulos himself paid to do it. He thrives on controversy. He goes to places he knows he's not welcome, antagonize people and causes sttife, then writes/talks about it to make money.And you preach about conspiracies?

resister
02-11-2017, 12:18 AM
So much for the first!

Standing Wolf
02-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Wasn't the students rioting. Either anarchists with their own agenda or possibly even people Yiannopoulos himself paid to do it. He thrives on controversy. He goes to places he knows he's not welcome, antagonize people and causes sttife, then writes/talks about it to make money.

Similar to those Westboro Baptist Church idiots. Real world trolls. When they threatened to come to Arizona to picket Barry Goldwater's funeral - because of some comments he'd made favoring the idea of gays being allowed to serve openly in the military - they were warned that to do so might be...a hazardous undertaking. Those warnings, by the way, I can assure you did not all come from Liberals.

resister
02-11-2017, 12:43 AM
Similar to those Westboro Baptist Church idiots. Real world trolls. When they threatened to come to Arizona to picket Barry Goldwater's funeral - because of some comments he'd made favoring the idea of gays being allowed to serve openly in the military - they were warned that to do so might be...a hazardous undertaking. Those warnings, by the way, I can assure you did not all come from Liberals.You sound all knowing, contact the appropriate authorities !

valley ranch
02-11-2017, 02:53 AM

The Democrats are the KKK~http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/onair/common-sense-central-37717/the-democratic-party-and-the-kkk-11769046/

http://www.history.com/topics/ku-klux-klan

Hal Jordan
02-11-2017, 03:02 AM
Milo is actually a "lefty" Your point?

FindersKeepers
02-11-2017, 05:46 AM
Matt Teitelbaum is right, of course - it is a very loud, self-righteous and entitled (those last two adjectives being mine) minority of Liberals who approve of shutting down anyone's message with violence and civil disorder. Tarring Liberals generally with that tendency is just a Straw Man - attributing to a group of people one doesn't approve of some belief that they do not, in fact, hold. It is no different than painting all Conservatives as racists, simply because some demonstrably are.
Carlson's citing of a poll taken among college students doesn't take into account the obvious fact that only a very small minority of Liberals are currently college students. Political correctness - even if it must be maintained by threats or even acts of violence - has become a near religion on many campuses...and, as Robert A. Heinlein wrote, "Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so." P.C. fanatics are just another breed of religionists, playing the "more devout than you" game.

This is the best analysis of any concerning this issue.
Labeling is often an errant, but necessary, prerequisite to the formation of a movement. As far as I know it's inescapable in human society because it's the way cultures and subcultures evolve. In order for any movement to rise it has to be able to rally followers, and typically, the only way to do that is to group the opposition in some identifiable way.
Divisive comments create leaders and divisive leaders create movements, both supportive and oppositional.

Free speech was once the foundation of our society, and we all, at some level, know it's our saving grace, but as you pointed out we will legislate our "creed into law" if given the opportunity.

The political pendulum has always swung from side to side, but at present, we're seeing it swing in a wider arc than usual, and physics dictate that acceleration is greatest on the swing away from an endpoint on either side of the arc. Most of us reside somewhere nearer the equilibrium position at the center bottom of the arc, slightly to one side or the other. The wider the arc, however, the more we're pulled to one endpoint or the other because the momentum is greater.

We live in interesting times.

Safety
02-11-2017, 06:43 AM
The Democrats are the KKK~http://newstalk1130.iheart.com/onair/common-sense-central-37717/the-democratic-party-and-the-kkk-11769046/

Saying the KKK is democrats like it is supposed to reflect the current party, is like saying Donald Trump is a Conservative because he ran in the Republican party. I would try to avoid making that mistake in the future.

AeonPax
02-11-2017, 06:43 AM
`
`
First, overlooking the hyperbolic tone of the OP, I watched the video. Ignoring Tuckers commentary, I have to agree with Matt Teitelbaum's synopsis, 100% only I'll go deeper.

I'm liberal but in no way, shape or form am I a democratic party liberal. Outside of the war mongering neoliberals who have taken over the democratic party, the far left democratic party has turned into one massive blob of intolerance, shielding themselves with false rationalizations and justifications for their despicable behavior. I don't like Trump but as screwed up as it is, the constitution still works. Use that system to stop Trump. I understand these people were paid Soros operatives. (unconfirmed)

MMC
02-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Lefties here cringe when they see me start a thread about lefties, but bear with me on this one. I was watching yesterday's tucker carson, and he brought a lefty college student on who seemed pretty intelligent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXqCow9i36c

The interview was about free speech and milo, and I say hats off to this lefty! See, I compliment lefties if they deserve it.

Yes.....they have a few. But not nearly enough to change the Demo party into something worthwhile.

Chris
02-11-2017, 09:55 AM
This guy made good sense, all leftys should watch it. Try it!(you don't have to be left to watch it)

But that runs counter to the OP's anti-left thesis.

Chris
02-11-2017, 09:58 AM
`
`
First, overlooking the hyperbolic tone of the OP, I watched the video. Ignoring Tuckers commentary, I have to agree with Matt Teitelbaum's synopsis, 100% only I'll go deeper.

I'm liberal but in no way, shape or form am I a democratic party liberal. Outside of the war mongering neoliberals who have taken over the democratic party, the far left democratic party has turned into one massive blob of intolerance, shielding themselves with false rationalizations and justifications for their despicable behavior. I don't like Trump but as screwed up as it is, the constitution still works. Use that system to stop Trump. I understand these people were paid Soros operatives. (unconfirmed)

See, again, a good liberal.

Sometimes I think we should stop dividing Rep v Dem, left v right, even libertarian v authoritarian, and simply divide between reasonable people and unreasonable ones.

Standing Wolf
02-11-2017, 10:02 AM

I strongly suspect that of the current membership of the KKK and similar organizations, you could probably count the number of registered Democrats on your fingers and toes.

Crepitus
02-11-2017, 10:03 AM
And you preach about conspiracies?

Non sequitur

Standing Wolf
02-11-2017, 10:06 AM
Sometimes I think we should stop dividing Rep v Dem, left v right, even libertarian v authoritarian, and simply divide between reasonable people and unreasonable ones.

Agreed. Just as I have pleaded for years that the proper division is between those who feel compelled to micro-manage others' lives and behavior and those who display no such compulsion. The constant puffing up about how "those guys" do something more than "we do" gets really old after awhile and accomplishes nothing.

Crepitus
02-11-2017, 10:14 AM
I strongly suspect that of the current membership of the KKK and similar organizations, you could probably count the number of registered Democrats on your fingers and toes.

And he knows that too, but you will never get him to admit it.

Hal Jordan
02-12-2017, 02:24 AM
Saying the KKK is democrats like it is supposed to reflect the current party, is like saying Donald Trump is a Conservative because he ran in the Republican party. I would try to avoid making that mistake in the future.

Republicans just have no idea yet. Just give them a couple of years.

Hal Jordan
02-12-2017, 02:44 AM
See, again, a good liberal.

Only sometimes?