PDA

View Full Version : Met a well known author today!

resister
02-20-2017, 08:09 PM
I live in arcadia Fl. I have noticed about 8 or 12 people with expensive vehivles digging fossils just south of the HWY 70 bridge on the peace river, for quite a few days.

I dig about 600 yards further downstream, I have talked to the group several times about finds. Today I talked to the same gentle man again. I mentioned a book I have called " Fossililing in Fl., a guide for diggers and divers" By Mark Renz.
He ask me how I liked it, it was pretty good ,I said.

He goes in his truck and produces a book and points to a pic in the inner jacket, ask me if it looks familiar?
It is you, I said!

Small world! He gave(gratis) 2 books to me. Giants in the storm and desert sharks, about his trip to peru to hunt fossil sharks in the Peruvian desert.

An all around great guy! I need to email him to see if he needs a grunt of a guide in arcadia! He charges about 60 $ for guide services. I bet he makes about 4 to 5 hundred a day guiding vacationers to fossil hunting grounds!

What a great guy to meet!

resister
02-20-2017, 08:47 PM
It is a fortunate man who can turn his passion into a career! We should all be so blessed!

waltky
02-20-2017, 09:41 PM
resister wrote: ... about his trip to peru to hunt fossil sharks in the Peruvian desert.

Must be the ancestor of the famous...

... land shark!

resister
02-20-2017, 10:33 PM
resister wrote: ... about his trip to peru to hunt fossil sharks in the Peruvian desert.

... land shark!
Good beer!

Ravens Fan
02-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Good beer!

Jimmy Buffet makes it. How could it be bad?
Cool story about the author too. :smiley:

waltky
02-21-2017, 02:06 AM
On her honeymoon, a friend came across James Taylor...

... surprised,she blurted out, "I'm a big fan of your's, I've got all your albums"...

... to which he quipped, "So you're the one who's been buying `em."

Standing Wolf
02-21-2017, 04:58 AM
John Cleese once told me to piss off. But he wasn't serious. At least I don't think he was.

:smiley-char092:

resister
02-21-2017, 09:37 PM
Talked to Mr. Renz again today. Took some of my unknowns down for ID. Asked if he gets on the fossil forum, he said he looks but does not post, the "pro's" pick apart his every post! Go figure!
Trolling on a fossil forum! WTF?
I thanked him for his expert analysis, he said he was not an expert, I said "you have wrote 5 books on fl fossils, if you are not an expert, you will do until one comes along"
He is a very humble man, he is an inspiration to emulate!

resister
02-21-2017, 09:47 PM

... land shark!
He said he hunts fossil sharks because they are much safer than hunting living sharks! LOL!!!!

Trish
02-21-2017, 09:51 PM
That's pretty cool! Weird how some opportunities can fall into your lap. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :0)

resister
02-21-2017, 10:01 PM
That's pretty cool! Weird how some opportunities can fall into your lap. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :0)
Thank you Trish! I keep you in my good thoughts!

resister
02-22-2017, 11:16 AM
I highly recommend reading his book, Giants in the storm. He was poking around a recent highway excavation site in labell Fl and saw a retention pond dug.
He went in and found bones but the pond soon filled with water and was fenced in.

He contacted the fl department of transportation, and to his surprise, he was given permission to drain and dig the pond. It only took 4 years to get the permits!
When it was all said and done, they had collected over 2,000 bones that now reside in the Fl. museum of natural history.
Camel, lamma, horse, mastodon and bison and many other species were collected in what turned out be one of the more signifigant fossil finds in fl history!

And who knows what is left to find! I always poke around any recent excavations, myself!

MisterVeritis
02-22-2017, 11:41 AM
John Cleese once told me to piss off. But he wasn't serious. At least I don't think he was.

:smiley-char092:
Don't lots of people do that? :grin:

Standing Wolf
02-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Don't lots of people do that? :grin:

Rarely in person, and almost never in a British accent.