PDA

View Full Version : Snowboarder died on the mountain last night.

valley ranch
02-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Yesterday a person on the hill called for help saying: he was lost on the hill couldn't find his way back or out. A search went our but couldn't find him, (this was at Heavenly Valley) This morning they found him, he had died from the conditions.

sad!

Just got a call my family member who teaches up there!

HawkTheSlayer
02-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Yesterday a person on the hill called for help saying: he was lost on the hill couldn't find his way back or out. A search went our but couldn't find him, (this was at Heavenly Valley) This morning they found him, he had died from the conditions.

sad!

Just got a call my family member who teaches up there!

Not the way I wanna go.

valley ranch
02-22-2017, 04:08 PM
No sir, I've been on those searches, most times the person isn't on the hill, just left without telling his friend he was leaving and they call in to have him found.

Doublejack
02-22-2017, 04:26 PM
GPS transponders are cheap these days. If youre gonna be exploring out of bounds there's no reason not to have one.

Too bad about the kid

Common Sense
02-22-2017, 04:30 PM
It can be very dangerous up in the mountains. I've done a few backcountry trips and the ones in the winter (skiing) were the most dangerous. Weather can change very quickly and avalanches are always an issue.

valley ranch
02-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Last night was stormy, there was no mention of being out of bounds in this case and with big snows you can get out of bounds before you know it.

These were taken before the last few storms and the one last night.

Peter1469
02-22-2017, 05:15 PM
Know where you are going. Know what you need with you. Let others know where you will be and what time you are to be back.

Doublejack
02-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Know where you are going. Know what you need with you. Let others know where you will be and what time you are to be back.

Ya that's what my transponder does when I go way out snow machining over the pass or something where no phones work.

Pings an e-mail to my wife and another buddy lat/long coords every hour or instantly if i hit the button.

I've never had to but it also has the "OH SHIT HELP ME NOW" button.

I think it was like maybe $100 bucks with a lifetime subscription.

Shit happens .. be prepared.