PDA

View Full Version : Republicans accuse voters of using town halls to express themselves

Chris
02-24-2017, 07:17 PM
Damn!

REPUBLICANS ACCUSE VOTERS OF USING TOWN HALLS TO EXPRESS THEMSELVES (http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/republicans-accuse-voters-of-using-town-halls-to-express-themselves)

Saying “Enough is enough,” Republican senators on Friday angrily accused their constituents of “intentionally and opportunistically” using recent town-hall meetings as vehicles to express themselves.

One of the angriest Republicans, Senator Tom Cotton, of Arkansas, said he was “disgusted and offended” by the “flagrant exercise of freedom of speech” he witnessed at his town hall.

“The spectacle of people standing up, asking their elected representatives questions, and expecting them to answer is the most disgraceful thing I’ve ever experienced,” Cotton said. “This will not stand.”

Cotton accused “outside agitators” of sending voters to the town halls “to cynically exploit an obscure provision in the Constitution called the First Amendment.”
“I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but isn’t it a little suspicious that, in town hall after town hall, all these voters were so well-versed in one tiny sentence in the Constitution?” he said. “It doesn’t pass the smell test.”

Crepitus
02-24-2017, 07:29 PM
While not far from the truth I think that the article is in fact satire.

Sorry.

patrickt
02-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Satire? Since liberals believe it wouldn't it fall into the categories of "fake news" or "propaganda"?

Or, perhaps since the article from the New Yorker has in it's heading "SATIRE FROM THE BOROWITZ REPORT (http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report)" the OP simply wants to lie and mislead?

It's hard to know, isn't it?

Robo
02-24-2017, 07:43 PM
Town Halls while being a good place to protest political grievances, a civil exchange between the people and the politicians would at least have some chance of getting the people's message across to a politician. But when the only agenda is to boo and shout down the politicians and deny them the opportunity to answer the people's grievances isn't a credible protest it's a childish hateful tantrum. No sane folk would have a problem with a politician just walking out on such absurd juvenile actions.

ripmeister
02-24-2017, 07:52 PM
Satire? Since liberals believe it wouldn't it fall into the categories of "fake news" or "propaganda"?

Or, perhaps since the article from the New Yorker has in it's heading "SATIRE FROM THE BOROWITZ REPORT (http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report)" the OP simply wants to lie and mislead?

Not really. Some of us appreciate wit.

ripmeister
02-24-2017, 07:54 PM
Town Halls while being a good place to protest political grievances, a civil exchange between the people and the politicians would at least have some chance of getting the people's message across to a politician. But when the only agenda is to boo and shout down the politicians and deny them the opportunity to answer the people's grievances isn't a credible protest it's a childish hateful tantrum. No sane folk would have a problem with a politician just walking out on such absurd juvenile actions.
With this I agree. When someone's yelling at you most people just tend to turn off. It's not productive for the most part.

Captain Obvious
02-24-2017, 08:03 PM
I thought it was satire also, had to mouse over to see if it was duffleblog or something.

Common Sense
02-24-2017, 08:06 PM
It's labeled satire...

resister
02-24-2017, 08:08 PM
With this I agree. When someone's yelling at you most people just tend to turn off. It's not productive for the most part.
I said earlier today, civil adult expression would help matters greatly! Much Agreed!

Green Arrow
02-24-2017, 08:11 PM

I would. We the people are their boss, not the other way around.

decedent
02-24-2017, 08:20 PM

Liberals know what fake news is; Trump fans... not so much (e.g., pizzagate).

Chris
02-25-2017, 10:04 AM
Satire, with some truth to it.