PDA

View Full Version : Executive orders

pjohns
02-25-2017, 01:24 PM
During the previous administration, I regularly criticized then-President Obama for ruling through executive orders. And he fully deserved the criticism, in my opinion.

At the moment, however, President Trump is doing very much the same thing. And I am not sure, at all, if it is better for a Republican president to be ruling that way than it is for a Democratic president to do so.

Now, I have no problem, at all, with President Trump's using executive orders to repeal Barack Obama's executive orders.

But for other matters, I believe that he should go through Congress--which is not merely an asterisk in our political system. (At least, it is not meant to be.)

Thoughts?

Peter1469
02-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Trump's EOs mirror the laws that they are based on. They are instructions to the executive agencies carrying out their duties.

Obama's EOs often had no underlying existing statute - the one about immigration was based off a democrat bill that could not get to the floor for a vote.

The number of EOs that a president issues is not relevant. It is what they do and what they are based on that matter.

MisterVeritis
02-25-2017, 01:42 PM
During the previous administration, I regularly criticized then-President Obama for ruling through executive orders. And he fully deserved the criticism, in my opinion.

At the moment, however, President Trump is doing very much the same thing. And I am not sure, at all, if it is better for a Republican president to be ruling that way than it is for a Democratic president to do so.

Now, I have no problem, at all, with President Trump's using executive orders to repeal Barack Obama's executive orders.

But for other matters, I believe that he should go through Congress--which is not merely an asterisk in our political system. (At least, it is not meant to be.)

Thoughts?
You are very confused about executive orders. EOs are how the Executive runs the Branch. Any EO that does not make or modify a law is legitimate. Barack Hussein O used some of his executive orders to modify laws or to make laws. Those are solely within the purvue of the Legislative branch.

Chris
02-25-2017, 01:46 PM
The problem is Congress doesn't pass explicit enough laws, but vague ones expecting the Administration to detail them out. And this entails a problem of cronyism, iow, Presidents if not lower-level bureaucrats applying the law in a biased manner, picking favorites as winners and unfavorites as losers.

I have a sense it is getting worse and worse over time.

(Hayek in The Road to Serfdom predicts this.)

Peter1469
02-25-2017, 01:48 PM
The problem is Congress doesn't pass explicit enough laws, but vague ones expecting the Administration to detail them out. And this entails a problem of cronyism, iow, Presidents if not lower-level bureaucrats applying the law in a biased manner, picking favorites as winners and unfavorites as losers.

I have a sense it is getting worse and worse over time.

(Hayek in The Road to Serfdom predicts this.)

That is the Administrative State problem. The legislature ceding its authority to make laws to the Executive Branch. The administration says it wants to roll that back. That is a lot of high level career feds to buck.

Tahuyaman
02-25-2017, 03:17 PM
.....The number of EOs that a president issues is not relevant. It is what they do and what they are based on that matter.

Correct.

Common
02-25-2017, 03:19 PM

Thoughts?
All presidents used executive orders, some more than others. I would be quite happy if after trumps terms that they do away with them

MisterVeritis
02-25-2017, 05:14 PM
All presidents used executive orders, some more than others. I would be quite happy if after trumps terms that they do away with them
Pay attention! Never mind. What is the point? How does any president run the branch without executive orders?

waltky
03-31-2017, 11:22 PM
Now ya can Read President Trump’s executive orders in full online...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/cool.gif
Read President Trump’s executive orders in full
March 30, 2017 - President Trump has begun his presidency with a number of executive orders released in a whirlwind of announcements. Below you’ll find the full text along with summaries of some of the more notable declarations, as provided by the White House and Federal Register websites.

March 30: Opioids

Summary: To create a panel to combat America’s opioid crisis. The panel’s mission would be to identify federal funding streams that could be directed to address the crisis, for everything from medical treatments to long-term support services. The commission would also aim to identify areas in the United States with limited treatment options, review ways to prevent opioid addiction — including possible changes to prescribing practices — and consider changes to the criminal justice system to provide support for incarcerated individuals after their release from prison.

MORE (https://www.yahoo.com/news/president-trumps-executive-orders-224424294.html)

Adelaide
04-01-2017, 07:57 AM
I am not a fan of executive orders in general. They should only be used in exceptional situations, in my opinion. Otherwise, let the legislative and judicial branch do their jobs.

texan
04-01-2017, 06:58 PM

Thoughts?

You are not even close. Obama took big things and wrote orders never going thru the process. Trump has basically undone executive orders and signed fairly common type orders. You are way off base.

Tahuyaman
04-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Some executive orders direct government agencies to enforce existing law. Others are intended to circumvent existing laws.

MisterVeritis
04-01-2017, 09:57 PM

Thoughts?
You are wrong. :-)

patrickt
04-02-2017, 08:14 AM
Executive orders that deal with the management of the government are fine. Executive orders to manage every single American, regulate society and the culture, and insure leftists domination aren't.