PDA

View Full Version : The New York Times - A Big Storm Requires Big Government

Cigar
10-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Most Americans have never heard of the National Response Coordination Center, but they’re lucky it exists on days of lethal winds and flood tides. The center is the war room of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, where officials gather to decide where rescuers should go, where drinking water should be shipped, and how to assist hospitals that have to evacuate.

Disaster coordination is one of the most vital functions of “big government,” which is why Mitt Romney wants to eliminate it. At a Republican primary debate last year, Mr. Romney was asked whether emergency management was a function that should be returned to the states. He not only agreed, he went further.

“Absolutely,” he said. “Every time you have an occasion to take something from the federal government and send it back to the states, that’s the right direction. And if you can go even further and send it back to the private sector, that’s even better.” Mr. Romney not only believes that states acting independently can handle the response to a vast East Coast storm better than Washington, but that profit-making companies can do an even better job. He said it was “immoral” for the federal government to do all these things if it means increasing the debt.

Over the last two years, Congressional Republicans have forced a 43 percent reduction in the primary FEMA grants that pay for disaster preparedness. Representatives Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor and other House Republicans have repeatedly tried to refuse FEMA’s budget requests when disasters are more expensive than predicted, or have demanded that other valuable programs be cut to pay for them. The Ryan budget, which Mr. Romney praised as “an excellent piece of work,” would result in severe cutbacks to the agency, as would the Republican-instigated sequester, which would cut disaster relief by 8.2 percent on top of earlier reductions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/opinion/a-big-storm-requires-big-government.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&ref=opinion&adxnnlx=1351603714-q9aABtAPY/q9KdHVLRvNoA

I'm betting the GOP and Republican Party has some egg removal plans :tongue:

Peter1469
10-30-2012, 10:41 AM
If power were returned to the States, most of the financial resources would be at the State level. As our government currently states, the money is tied up in Washington. Not very effective.

garyo
10-30-2012, 10:44 AM
I,m gonna guess you may be paid by the posting, would that be correct?:smiley_ROFLMAO:

coolwalker
10-30-2012, 01:26 PM
If power were returned to the States, most of the financial resources would be at the State level. As our government currently states, the money is tied up in Washington. Not very effective.

Yeah but all those blue states (like NY) want the red states to pay for everything.

Mister D
10-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Disaster relief is one of the things I would think libertarians and small government folks would find withi the federal purview.

roadmaster
10-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah but all those blue states (like NY) want the red states to pay for everything.

Yes, Georgia, SC, NC and others are all ready on the way to help. One convoy went to NC coast and two went north to help and restore power.

roadmaster
10-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Disaster relief is one of the things I would think libertarians and small government folks would find withi the federal purview.

I know, Churches are all ready heading that way with bottled water and supplies. We know how it feels and the red cross has always been there with cooked meals.

Mister D
10-30-2012, 03:11 PM
I know, Churches are all ready heading that way with bottled water and supplies. We know how it feels and the red cross has always been there with cooked meals.

Glad to hear it.

Peter1469
10-30-2012, 03:52 PM

Not as the primary provider. Under a Constitutional government, the federal government wouldn't have much power. The states would have all the needed resources for such things.

Mister D
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Not as the primary provider. Under a Constitutional government, the federal government wouldn't have much power. The states would have all the needed resources for such things.

I stand corrected.