PDA

View Full Version : American Autumn

Mister D
10-10-2011, 01:00 PM
The zombie youth “occupying” Wall Street are contemptuous of the world that sustains their comforts.

Snip

Today, the tribunes of America’s leisured varsity class demand a world that puts “people before profits.” If the specifics of their “program” are somewhat contradictory, the general vibe is consistent: They wish to enjoy an advanced Western lifestyle without earning an advanced Western living. The pampered, elderly children of a fin de civilisation overdeveloped world, they appear to regard life as an unending vacation whose bill never comes due.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/279534/american-autumn-mark-steyn

Conley
10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
You and the author make a good point. Certainly for the first eighteen years of life it seems to me many Americans have never been so pampered. They probably don't even realize the sacrifices that went into creating such a life. Then they get to college, graduate with a useless degree in some field that interested them, and still expect things to be handed to them. It's a rough transition to the real world. There are plenty of jobs out there in majors that aren't the easy ones and plenty of ways to avoid debt in college too. I'm becoming a crotchety old man but enough with these demands. Most of these protesters don't even know the first thing about the banking system or any of it.

:rant:

Conley
10-10-2011, 01:14 PM
This guy nails it better than I ever could

So they are in favor of open borders, presumably so that exotic Third World peasants can perform the labor to which they are noticeably averse. Of the 13 items on that “proposed list of demands,” Demand Four calls for “free college education,” and Demand Eleven returns to the theme, demanding debt forgiveness for all existing student loans. I yield to no one in my general antipathy to the racket that is American college education, but it’s difficult to see why this is the fault of the mustache-twirling robber barons who head up Global MegaCorp, Inc. One sympathizes, of course. It can’t be easy finding yourself saddled with a six-figure debt and nothing to show for it but some watery bromides from the “Transgender and Colonialism” class. Americans collectively have north of a trillion dollars in personal college debt. Say what you like about Enron and, er, Solyndra and all those other evil corporations, but they didn’t relieve you of a quarter-mil in exchange for a master’s in Maya Angelou. So why not try occupying the dean’s office at Shakedown U?

:D :D :D

I get it now...American Autumn like Arab Spring. O0

Mister D
10-10-2011, 01:20 PM
You and the author make a good point. Certainly for the first eighteen years of life it seems to me many Americans have never been so pampered. They probably don't even realize the sacrifices that went into creating such a life. Then they get to college, graduate with a useless degree in some field that interested them, and still expect things to be handed to them. It's a rough transition to the real world. There are plenty of jobs out there in majors that aren't the easy ones and plenty of ways to avoid debt in college too. I'm becoming a crotchety old man but enough with these demands. Most of these protesters don't even know the first thing about the banking system or any of it.

:rant:

I'm in full agreement. I hear some people saying it's good to see all this political interest on the part of young people but this is pretty hard to take seriously. They are pampered and have led comfortable lives for the most part pursuing worthless degrees.

BTW, I read that "open borders" is among their demands. ??? It's not coherent.

Mister D
10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
This guy nails it better than I ever could

So they are in favor of open borders, presumably so that exotic Third World peasants can perform the labor to which they are noticeably averse. Of the 13 items on that “proposed list of demands,” Demand Four calls for “free college education,” and Demand Eleven returns to the theme, demanding debt forgiveness for all existing student loans. I yield to no one in my general antipathy to the racket that is American college education, but it’s difficult to see why this is the fault of the mustache-twirling robber barons who head up Global MegaCorp, Inc. One sympathizes, of course. It can’t be easy finding yourself saddled with a six-figure debt and nothing to show for it but some watery bromides from the “Transgender and Colonialism” class. Americans collectively have north of a trillion dollars in personal college debt. Say what you like about Enron and, er, Solyndra and all those other evil corporations, but they didn’t relieve you of a quarter-mil in exchange for a master’s in Maya Angelou. So why not try occupying the dean’s office at Shakedown U?

:D :D :D

I get it now...American Autumn like Arab Spring. O0

;D I should pasted more to make it clear.

Conley
10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Exactly. Do they even realize that those closed borders, trade agreements, and oppressive third world nations are why they can get those ipods, khakis, and the rest of their junk at such a low cost? Of course not. It is too bad that more of these protesters don't take the time to educate themselves and make their demands more reasonable and intelligent. This just reads like a big temper tantrum.

Mister D
10-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Exactly. Do they even realize that those closed borders, trade agreements, and oppressive third world nations are why they can get those ipods, khakis, and the rest of their junk at such a low cost? Of course not. It is too bad that more of these protesters don't take the time to educate themselves and make their demands more reasonable and intelligent. This just reads like a big temper tantrum.

I think big temper tantrum about covers it.

Conley
10-10-2011, 01:48 PM
;D ;D

Mister D
10-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Excellent avatar if you son't mind my saying. 8)

Conley
10-10-2011, 01:52 PM

:D I thought you might like it.

He needs all of our support!

Mister D
10-10-2011, 01:55 PM

:D I thought you might like it.

He needs all of our support!

I'll be tuned in at 8:30. :)

Conley
10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
MMC should be around. >:(

Hopefully he checks in during the game.

jgreer
10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
There are questionable people at every protest.

For an example take a look at the Tea Party rallies. Also it the TP really cared about ending big government and stopping bank bail outs they would be marching by our side.

The important thing is that this movement is growing by the day. The media and the government can't help now but take it seriously.

We are taking America back!

Conley
10-10-2011, 02:06 PM
Realistically what do you expect to happen?

None of the demands I've seen have even a chance.

It's as if you're protesting human nature.

Mister D
10-10-2011, 02:20 PM

For an example take a look at the Tea Party rallies. Also it the TP really cared about ending big government and stopping bank bail outs they would be marching by our side.

The important thing is that this movement is growing by the day. The media and the government can't help now but take it seriously.

Maybe they don't smoke weed?

Taking it back from who? Your parents? Then who is going to pay the bills?

Mr. Wonderful
10-10-2011, 03:05 PM
These kids need a good kick in the ass.

Get back to work!

MMC
10-11-2011, 01:19 AM

Maybe they don't smoke weed?

Taking it back from who? Your parents? Then who is going to pay the bills?

http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/roflmao.gif