PDA

View Full Version : Is it bigoted to refuse to date pre-surgical transgender?

DGUtley
03-07-2017, 06:29 AM
Is it sexist or bigoted if you are heterosexual and do not want to have sex with or date a transgender female with male parts? Gender is a social construct, right?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/transgender-girl-says-rejected-straight-6857022.amp

hanger4
03-07-2017, 06:52 AM
:shocked:

Doublejack
03-07-2017, 07:05 AM
Ya mean that Leonard Nimoy sounding voice didn't tip them off?

Crepitus
03-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Is it sexist or bigoted if you are heterosexual and do not want to have sex with or date a transgender female with male parts? Gender is a social construct, right?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/transgender-girl-says-rejected-straight-6857022.amp

Why would it be?

Is it bigoted to not date overweight people?

Safety
03-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Why would it be?

Is it bigoted to not date overweight people?

Yes on both accounts. I'm not sure where the OP is trying to go, but any decision a person makes based upon an intolerance is the classification of bigotry.

Crepitus
03-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Yes on both accounts. I'm not sure where the OP is trying to go, but any decision a person makes based upon an intolerance is the classification of bigotry.

Intolerance? I have nothing against overweight people, I just don't find them attractive.

I have nothing against transgender people either, but I am not interested in anyone with the same genitalia I have.

These are personal preferences, not bigotry. No intolerance here.

Safety
03-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Intolerance? I have nothing against overweight people, I just don't find them attractive.

I have nothing against transgender people either, but I am not interested in anyone with the same genitalia I have.

These are personal preferences, not bigotry. No intolerance here.

I say intolerance because it's an across the board decision. Example...all overweight people, all ugly people, all short people, etc. etc. Bigotry is probably the wrong word, prejudice would be a better fit.

DGUtley
03-07-2017, 08:06 AM
The OP was trying to generate discussion. I have a tendency to agree with Crepitus. It's not bigotry, but I think it'll be spun as same.

Standing Wolf
03-07-2017, 08:10 AM

I honestly think "any" decision is going a bit far, and in this case attributing "bigotry" (or even prejudice) to someone because they choose to exercise a preference with regard to who they date is grossly unfair. Dating is considerably more than just including someone in your circle of friends, associating with them as a co-worker, or what-have-you; it's...well, dating. For most people, dating has romantic and/or sexual connotations, and there is no more personal and intimate association than that. Aside from interjecting some very well-founded age restrictions on it, society really has no legitimate say in the matter, nor should it.

Safety
03-07-2017, 08:12 AM
I honestly think "any" decision is going a bit far, and in this case attributing "bigotry" (or even prejudice) to someone because they choose to exercise a preference with regard to who they date is grossly unfair. Dating is considerably more than just including someone in your circle of friends, associating with them as a co-worker, or what-have-you; it's...well, dating. For most people, dating has romantic and/or sexual connotations, and there is no more personal and intimate association than that. Aside from interjecting some very well-founded age restrictions on it, society really has no legitimate say in the matter, nor should it.

I was using it as an example, we are all bigoted and prejudiced at some point, most notably in choosing whom we associate with.

Standing Wolf
03-07-2017, 08:16 AM
I was using it as an example, we are all bigoted and prejudiced at some point, most notably in choosing whom we associate with.

Both "bigoted" and "prejudiced" have very negative connotations that I don't think are at all warranted in this situation. I think it's more fair and accurate to say that we all have "preferences".

Crepitus
03-07-2017, 08:19 AM
I say intolerance because it's an across the board decision. Example...all overweight people, all ugly people, all short people, etc. etc. Bigotry is probably the wrong word, prejudice would be a better fit.

OK, I don't really see it that way though. All I'm saying is I don't date people I'm not physically attracted to. You probably don't either.

Safety
03-07-2017, 08:21 AM
Both "bigoted" and "prejudiced" have very negative connotations that I don't think are at all warranted in this situation. I think it's more fair and accurate to say that we all have "preferences".

Ok.

Safety
03-07-2017, 08:21 AM
OK, I don't really see it that way though. All I'm saying is I don't date people I'm not physically attracted to. You probably don't either.

I am with you 100% on that.

DGUtley
03-07-2017, 08:22 AM
I am with you 100% on that.

Ditto. Thanks folks.

Common
03-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Anyone you choose to NOT date is not bigotry. People date who they want and they dont date who they dont want to, to say thats bigotry is nonesense.

People date who they are attracted too and if they arent attracted to a transexual they are not a BIGOT for not dating them

resister
03-07-2017, 09:34 AM
What the Hell ? :huh: :shocked:

Subdermal
03-07-2017, 11:19 AM

You - clearly - confuse 'tolerance' with 'preference'.

It is also why you see racists everywhere.

Private Pickle
03-07-2017, 11:30 AM

I'm bigoted against schlong... I say it proudly...

FindersKeepers
03-07-2017, 11:33 AM

Maybe a better term would be "discriminating."

Discriminating can be either good or bad. For example, if I refuse to date ex-felons, that might be seen as prejudiced, but it might also be wise, since there is a high recidivism rate.

The truth is, I have an illogical problem with short women and fat people. Can't help it -- it's just there. I always try to be gracious, but I used to catch myself holding my breath when we passed in the supermarket -- I had a weird idea that the air they exhaled (or a fart) could contain traces of their DNA, which I could then inhale and perhaps those traces would adhere to the lining of my lungs, enter my circulatory and then nervous system, and alter my own DNA. Crazy, yes, but phobias generally aren't logical. :wink:

On the other hand, I love to inhale deeply around babies and puppies. Because, they're magical.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 11:38 AM
I don't think you can classify any kind of not being sexually attracted as bigotry.

Scrounger
03-07-2017, 11:39 AM

Are you weighing some personal decision in your life?

Look, this is how I feel:

ALL of you discriminate. I used to pick redheads over blondes and brunettes. The older I get, the less discriminating I get. I see it clearly: fifteen years from now if she has a pulse that will do.

If you were born with dude parts, you are dude, even if the willy gets the scalpel. There is more to it than that two inch growth that got in the guy's way. Don't apply a an emotional laden buzz word on a guy and hope that he will be shamed into changing his preferences for women.

Don
03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Are you weighing some personal decision in your life?

Look, this is how I feel:

ALL of you discriminate. I used to pick redheads over blondes and brunettes. The older I get, the less discriminating I get. I see it clearly: fifteen years from now if she has a pulse that will do.

If you were born with dude parts, you are dude, even if the willy gets the scalpel. There is more to it than that two inch growth that got in the guy's way. Don't apply a an emotional laden buzz word on a guy and hope that he will be shamed into changing his preferences for women.

But even after "nine Corona's" a man on hormones dressed as a woman is still a man. :laugh:

https://youtu.be/HJ19qh4g2-o

Safety
03-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Maybe a better term would be "discriminating."

Discriminating can be either good or bad. For example, if I refuse to date ex-felons, that might be seen as prejudiced, but it might also be wise, since there is a high recidivism rate.

The truth is, I have an illogical problem with short women and fat people. Can't help it -- it's just there. I always try to be gracious, but I used to catch myself holding my breath when we passed in the supermarket -- I had a weird idea that the air they exhaled (or a fart) could contain traces of their DNA, which I could then inhale and perhaps those traces would adhere to the lining of my lungs, enter my circulatory and then nervous system, and alter my own DNA. Crazy, yes, but phobias generally aren't logical. :wink:

On the other hand, I love to inhale deeply around babies and puppies. Because, they're magical.

I get it, the terms were negative. I changed them after standing wolf pointed it out. But my reasoning is deeper than just using negative terms, it was the fact that we all are bigoted and prejudiced for different things. When you strike someone based upon a trait that you didn't like in someone else, that is being prejudicial. When someone doesn't like a white supremacist's viewpoint, strictly because of that viewpoint, that is called being bigoted.

Safety
03-07-2017, 12:38 PM
You - clearly - confuse 'tolerance' with 'preference'.

It is also why you see racists everywhere.

I have no issue understanding tolerance, intolerance, or "preferences". I don't see racists everywhere, just whenever certain members post.

rcfieldz
03-07-2017, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't want to find out what happens after 10 Coronas....

Captain Obvious
03-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Depends on who you ask.

Is it racist to not want to date another race?

Peter1469
03-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Homosexuality is acceptable in society these days.

patrickt
03-08-2017, 10:43 AM

Then, in one thing or another we're all bigots and it's meaningless.

Safety
03-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Then, in one thing or another we're all bigots and it's meaningless.

In the most simplest of terms, that was my point.

decedent
03-08-2017, 11:15 AM
Is it homophobic to not go gay for at least five minutes?

A lot can be done in five minutes. I mean.... so I hear.

rcfieldz
03-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Homosexuality is acceptable in society these days.
So is Satanism.

jimmyz
03-08-2017, 01:53 PM
It would be nice knowing all of the facts before any movement towards the bedroom. Is that too much to ask.

Peter1469
03-08-2017, 07:02 PM
So is Satanism.

Satan?