PDA

View Full Version : Chaffetz has idea for poor who can't afford health insurance - Don't buy iPhones!

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 11:55 AM
My new iPhone 6 was free and i pay $45 a month for unlimited talk, text and data.

$45 will go a long way toward an awesome health insurance policy, and those tax credits and health savings accounts Jason's gonna give me will pay for the rest!

:rolleyes:

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/jason-chaffetz) (R-Utah) is proposing a quick fix for low-income Americans unable to afford coverage under President Donald Trump (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/donald-trump)’s newly proposed health care law: Don’t buy an iPhone.

“Americans have choices, and they’ve got to make a choice,” Chaffetz said Tuesday on CNN. “So rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care. They’ve got to make those decisions themselves.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jason-chaffetz-iphone-health-care_us_58bea6aae4b09ab537d6a395?section=us_politi cs

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:01 PM
My new iPhone 6 was free and i pay $45 a month for unlimited talk, text and data.

$45 would buy an awesome health insurance policy and those tax credits and health savings accounts will pay for the rest!

Rep. Jason Chaffetz (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/jason-chaffetz) (R-Utah) is proposing a quick fix for low-income Americans unable to afford coverage under President Donald Trump (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/topic/donald-trump)’s newly proposed health care law: Don’t buy an iPhone.

“Americans have choices, and they’ve got to make a choice,” Chaffetz said Tuesday on CNN. “So rather than getting that new iPhone that they just love and want to go spend hundreds of dollars on that, maybe they should invest in their own health care. They’ve got to make those decisions themselves.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jason-chaffetz-iphone-health-care_us_58bea6aae4b09ab537d6a395?section=us_politi cs

Nothing is free, they're bundling the cost. You are essentially buying the monthly service and you're borrowing money, that you are paying back, to buy the iphone.

pjohns
03-07-2017, 12:09 PM

$45 will go a long way toward an awesome health insurance policy, and those tax credits and health savings accounts Jason's gonna give me will pay for the rest!

I suppose that I should be thankful that you finally--finally!--posted something that is not a direct denunciation of President Trump (which is rather trite at this point).

Instead, you chose merely to spew your (usual) venom upon a conservative Republican senator.

Evidently, you--like most other liberals--believe that low-income Americans cannot make wise choices for themselves; so The Benefactor State (in its role as Mommy) must make those choices for them...

The Xl
03-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Yeah, that's a bad analogy. The payment for a phone isn't in the same hemisphere as the cost of health insurance. But if we had the free market as involved in healthcare as we do in phones and such, we probably wouldn't have this kind of issue in the first place.

Ethereal
03-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Chaffetz is telling Americans to make choices, but their choices are constrained by government regulations and taxes. So putting the blame on Americans is erroneous as well as bad optics.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Yeah, that's a bad analogy. The payment for a phone isn't in the same hemisphere as the cost of health insurance. But if we had the free market as involved in healthcare as we do in phones and such, we probably wouldn't have this kind of issue in the first place.

Well, the question of one's ability tonprioritize remains meaning if one has an iphone but does not have health insurance, maybe that should be an eye opener as to why that is because pennies add up to dollars

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Chaffetz is telling Americans to make choices, but their choices are constrained by government regulations and taxes. So putting the blame on Americans is erroneous as well as bad optics.

True but people also make bad decisions, for instance I have seen this kind of sogn frequentlyx "Bad credit, no problem!" -- that SHOULD be a problem. The issue of prioritization remains even in the face of taxes. Ultimately the issue of health care is who ultimately gets subsidies, and the person receiving the subsidy should expect the person providing the subsidy to roll his ornher eyes when the subsidized individual has an iphone. Jewish people have a great word for this, its called 'chutzpah'

Ethereal
03-07-2017, 12:18 PM
True but people also make bad decisions, for instance I have seen this kind of sogn frequentlyx "Bad credit, no problem!" -- that SHOULD be a problem. The issue of prioritization remains even in the face of taxes.
People do make bad decisions, but nobody wants to be lectured by some privileged politician about it, especially when the political class are the main reason why so many people are struggling.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 12:18 PM
Basically.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 12:21 PM
True but people also make bad decisions, for instance I have seen this kind of sogn frequentlyx "Bad credit, no problem!" -- that SHOULD be a problem. The issue of prioritization remains even in the face of taxes. Ultimately the issue of health care is who ultimately gets subsidies, and the person receiving the subsidy should expect the person providing the subsidy to roll his ornher eyes when the subsidized individual has an iphone. Jewish people have a great word for this, its called 'chutzpah'

I get that to some degree, but forgoing a 40 dollar a month payment on a phone will have literally zero bearing on the ability to pay for health insurance, they're world's apart. It's like blaming someone's inability to afford a home on buying a bag of potato chips every other day. Like Ethereal said, people have been priced out by the government and its cronyism and theft.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:23 PM
People do make bad decisions, but nobody wants to be lectured by some privileged politician about it, especially when the political class are the main reason why so many people are struggling.

Exactly, and particularly when that privileged politician has the best insurance policy in the universe 100% paid for by the American people.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:23 PM
I get that to some degree, but forgoing a 40 dollar a month payment on a phone will have literally zero bearing on the ability to pay for health insurance, they're world's apart. It's like blaming someone's inability to afford a home on buying a bag of potato chips every other day. Like Ethereal said, people have been priced out by the government and its cronyism and theft.

$40 a month is $480 per year.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 12:25 PM
Also, their is something particularly irksome about a shithead like Chaffetz talking shit and being condescending when his whole entire being is completely subsidized by the government.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:28 PM
$40 a month is $480 per year.

Most poor people have a smart phone only which is loads cheaper than a landline, computer and Internet service.

They use that phone for everything, including possible emergencies.

Nobody is arguing the point that little things add up - but a lecture from Chaffetz who gets free health care from taxpayers is not helpful.

Cletus
03-07-2017, 12:28 PM

Combine the cost of the phone with all the other stuff they are very probably doing/buying and you will most likely have your insurance payment.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:29 PM

Of course they don't, they need to hear things they don't like and maybe some will glean some insight into why having an iphone when one is receiving subsidies will rub those providing those subsidies the wrong. They need to understand that receiving subsidies is an imposition on others.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Most poor people have a smart phone only which is loads cheaper than a landline, computer and Internet service.

Nobody is arguing the point that little things add up - but a lecture from Chaffetz who gets free health care from taxpayers is not helpful.

Indeed, but the focus is on iphones for a reason, ie there are cheaper alternatives that a person receiving subsidies should select.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 12:32 PM
Of course they don't, they need to hear things they don't like and maybe some will glean some insight into why having an iphone when one is receiving subsidies will rub those providing those subsidies the wrong. They need to understand that receiving subsidies is an imposition on others.

What's the real imposition is that these people are in the spot in the first place, an inflated currency and health insurance monopolies are the reason the shit is unaffordable in the first place. Most of them are the victim first and foremost.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Also, their is something particularly irksome about a $#@!head like Chaffetz talking $#@! and being condescending when his whole entire being is completely subsidized by the government.

I half agree because trust me, if you want to hurt this guy's salary, trust me, I'm game, but while government workers are government it IS a job. I don't think 'but for this job' he'd be on welfare, he'd likely have a job somewhere and pay his own way.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Also, their is something particularly irksome about a $#@!head like Chaffetz talking $#@! and being condescending when his whole entire being is completely subsidized by the government.

I half agree because trust me, if you want to hurt this guy's salary, trust me, I'm game, but while government workers are government it IS a job. I don't think 'but for this job' he'd be on welfare, he'd likely have a job somewhere and pay his own way.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Combine the cost of the phone with all the other stuff they are very probably doing/buying and you will most likely have your insurance payment.

Yeah, maybe if they bought nothing but giant sacks of rice and beans, did without heat in the winter and walked ten miles to work instead of taking the bus ...

They could afford half of a decent insurance premium.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/4f/4f8f9a6aa0e63fd98f56c5880983438040feadc700c1de2c5e e8940f4c69de07.jpg

The Xl
03-07-2017, 12:35 PM

It's a highly overly subsidized job that they're all basically shit at. If the government mandated that McDonald's workers were to make 50 dollars an hour, they'd technically be working for it too.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Indeed, but the focus is on iphones for a reason, ie there are cheaper alternatives that a person receiving subsidies should select.

You suggest Consumer Cellular phone as recommended by AARP with no internet and limited talk time for 15 bucks a month?

The extra 25 bucks a month'll get 'em that insurance policy. :wink:

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Nothing is free, they're bundling the cost. You are essentially buying the monthly service and you're borrowing money, that you are paying back, to buy the iphone.

Nope - 45 a month is what T-mobile charges for my particular plan (and daughter's) whether you take their free phones or not.

It was a promotion to unload all the old 6's when they came out with the 7's.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:40 PM
You suggest Consumer Cellular phone as recommended by AARP with no internet and limited talk time for 15 bucks a month?

The extra 25 bucks a month'll get 'em that insurance policy. :wink:

That's $300 less per year the taxpayers need to subsidize this person.

MisterVeritis
03-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Yeah, maybe if they bought nothing but giant sacks of rice and beans, did without heat in the winter and walked ten miles to work instead of taking the bus ...
They could afford half of a decent insurance premium.

This always happens when one has government intrusion. To make something affordable end the government's intrusion and control.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:43 PM
That's $300 less per year the taxpayers need to subsidize this person.

Many jobs (even for the working poor) have a requirement that one has access to email.

Ethereal
03-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Yea, or just get the government out of the way and they can afford both.

Ethereal
03-07-2017, 12:44 PM

Chaffetz is not going to change anyone's behavior.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:45 PM
Many jobs (even for the working poor) have a requirement that one has access to email.

I actually glanced over the no email above for the AARP phone but get yourself a QTE from Boost Wireless

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:46 PM
This always happens when one has government intrusion. To make something affordable end the government's intrusion and control.

We tried that - my old Blue Cross policy prior to ACA had no provision to keep my 21 year old daughter insured, had caps on coverage, was cancellable for any reason and had a $3,000 deductible.

It was going up 20-30% per year.

Current policy went up 15% this year and provides far better coverage.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 12:47 PM
Chaffetz is not going to change anyone's behavior.

Not individually of course, but the marketplace of ideas continues to exist and this is well within the umbrella of subsidies enabling the purchase of, not just goods/services, but what are called 'luxury' goods. When people do that, expect people to scrutinize that carefully.

pjohns
03-07-2017, 12:49 PM
I, too, despise The Political Class--in fact, I wish it were entirely abolished--but I really do not understand just how it (supposedly) is "the main reason why so many people are struggling."

What brought you to that conclusion?

MisterVeritis
03-07-2017, 12:50 PM

We tried that - my old Blue Cross policy prior to ACA had no provision to keep my 21 year old daughter insured, had caps on coverage, was cancellable for any reason and had a $3,000 deductible.

It was going up 20-30% per year.

Current policy went up 15% this year and provides far better coverage.
You have not been alive long enough to know a time before government intrusion and interference in health care.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:54 PM
I actually glanced over the no email above for the AARP phone but get yourself a QTE from Boost Wireless

Boost offers VERY limited talk, text & data. Just looked - their least expensive plan here in Boise is $25 a month (pre-paid).

So there's a whopping 20 bucks a month a poor person could apply toward an awesome policy.

Amiright?

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 12:55 PM

You have not been alive long enough to know a time before government intrusion and interference in health care.

I'm 59 .. REALLY?

pjohns
03-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Why would you imagine that a cell phone "only" is uniquely the province of "poor people"?

Although I do have both a landline (actually, four of them) plus a cell phone (I guess I am stuck in the 1990s: It is a flip phone, which I actually prefer), my wife--whom I married just over a year ago; and who has savings close to $200,000--has long had a cell phone only.

And one of my neighbors has only a cell phone. (He, too, strikes me as being far from poverty-stricken.) (For the record, his wife has a separate cell phone, with a separate phone number.)

So I just do not get this correlation between having a cell phone only and poverty...

Ethereal
03-07-2017, 01:00 PM
I, too, despise The Political Class--in fact, I wish it were entirely abolished--but I really do not understand just how it (supposedly) is "the main reason why so many people are struggling."

What brought you to that conclusion?
Onerous regulations and taxes combined with rampant corruption and waste.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Boost offers VERY limited talk, text & data. Just looked - their least expensive plan here in Boise is $25 a month (pre-paid).

So there's a whopping 20 bucks a month a poor person could apply toward an awesome policy.

Amiright?

Not sure offhand, the basic point remains, there are cheaper and more reasonable alternatives that reduce the subsidy recipient's reliance on public assistance.

$20 X how many people.....those pennies add up to billions.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2017, 01:05 PM

He's 100% correct.

A friend of mine owns several apartment complexes he rents to low income tenants, his comment to me was "they have lots of assets, not much cash"... for paying the rent.

Snowflakeland will never grasp reality, folks are low income for a reason. Put money in their pockets and the first thing they will buy is beer and cigarettes.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2017, 01:08 PM
That and, my tax dollars are basically subsidizing these dirtbags I-whatevers, beer, pot, cigarettes, video games, whatever.

Fuck them.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 01:15 PM
That and, my tax dollars are basically subsidizing these dirtbags I-whatevers, beer, pot, cigarettes, video games, whatever.

$#@! them.

Exactly because if the law imposes a legal duty on you to pay taxes in part to subsidize people for the General Welfare, as the case may be, the next question should be what dity is imposed on those receiving that subsidy. According to liberals, who typical object to drug testing, etc, apparently the answer is none, but at minimum we should expect people receiving subsidies to minimize their reliance on subsidies.

Instead we get treated to doses of liberal shaming and accusations that we are mean, selfish people. Its complete chutzpah!

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 01:17 PM

Fuck them.

Gross generalization much?

Yes, there are working poor people who do not spend their money wisely .. A majority barely make their rent, live frugally and don't buy those things.

But i'm certain that getting a lecture from you and Entitled Angry Beaver Chaffetz will be life-altering ;-)

http://cdn.newsserve.net/i/20170214/1895-GOP-Chair-Of-House-Oversight-Committee-Declines-Calls.jpg

exotix
03-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Not surprised .... this is the same Chaffetz that defunded the Embassy at Benghazi before it was attacked ... then actually said he was proud of it ... before spending millions and millions of taxpayer dollars persecuting Hillary for it.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Not surprised .... this is the same Chaffetz that defunded the Embassy at Benghazi before it was attacked ... then actually said he was proud of it ... before spending millions and millions of taxpayer dollars persecuting Hillary for it.

He's AWESOME ain't he? :grin:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRH9fIwWwAA7C8w.jpg

Tahuyaman
03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Chaffetz has idea for poor who can't afford health insurance - Don't buy iPhones!
In spite of the left wing screamers, he's trying to make a point most of us learn the first time we go out on our own.

One must develop priorities and live within your means. If one can only afford a Chevy Malibu, don't obligate yourself to purchase a Cadillac.

Green Arrow
03-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Well, the question of one's ability tonprioritize remains meaning if one has an iphone but does not have health insurance, maybe that should be an eye opener as to why that is because pennies add up to dollars

Giving up $40-50 a month on a phone is not going to magically give me $750 MORE dollars a month to buy health insurance

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Silly ^ Most of the people he's talking about can't afford a '85 Malibu .. let alone a Caddy :rolleyes:

Tahuyaman
03-07-2017, 02:20 PM
We have now created a mentality which truly believes your individual health care and treatment needs should be provided to you by government.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 02:23 PM
Let's blame the poor, who would actually be able to afford decent insurance on their own in a non cronyist, free market environment, and not the crooks who basically rob from every socio economic class, having borderline monopolies and charging outrageous rates for a piss poor to mediocre product. The poor should live in huts to subsidize their mediocre bullshit.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 02:25 PM
We have now created a mentality which truly believes your individual health care and treatment needs should be provided to you by government.
Except in reality, that isn't the way it functions at all. We don't have anything resembling a free market in health care. It's effectively a corporatist monopoly system.

Tahuyaman
03-07-2017, 02:25 PM
I'd like to see a market solution which provides various choices in coverage. One choice would be that you pay for your routine needs out of your own pocket, but have an insurance policy which only covers the most costly needs in the event that is needed.

This idea that there is minimal competition and everything should be covered at no or minimal cost to the patient is silly. This makes health cares costs skyrocket.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 02:26 PM

Fuck them.

Your tax dollars are better spend subsidizing rich CEOs who have a monopoly and give you a shit product.

Newpublius
03-07-2017, 02:26 PM

With no reciprocal duty imposed whatsoever no less.

Tahuyaman
03-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Except in reality, that isn't the way it functions at all. We don't have anything resembling a free market in health care. It's effectively a corporatist monopoly system.

most people don't care who pays for it as long as it's not them. They don't understand that everyone is paying for it one way or another.

The only way to reduce the cost is to introduce more completion into the health care market.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Your tax dollars are better spend subsidizing rich CEOs who have a monopoly and give you a shit product.

Indeed - leave the CEO's ALOOONE ... they are barely getting by!

Cigna CEO David Cordani: $17.3 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/701221/000119312516510378/d150537ddef14a.htm)
Cordani's total compensation rose considerably compared to 2014, when he pulled in $14.5 million. His 2015 total includes $1.2 million in base salary, $12.9 million in stock and option awards, $2.9 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation and $352,952 in other compensation.

Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini: $17.3 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1122304/000119312516535359/d94568ddef14a.htm#toc94568_30)
Bertolini's base salary in 2015 was $1.03 million, and he earned $14.1 million in stock and option awards, $1.8 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation and $271,908 in all other compensation. In 2014, Bertolini's overall compensation totaled $15 million--though that figure was down from the $30 million he earned in 2013.

UnitedHealth CEO Stephen Hemsley: $14.5 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/731766/000104746916012475/a2228249zdef14a.htm)
Hemsley's total compensation decreased from the $14.9 million he earned in 2014. His 2015 base salary was $1.4 million, and he received $9.4 million in stock and option awards in addition to $3.7 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation and $145,679 in other compensation.\

Anthem CEO Joseph Swedish: $13.6 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1156039/000119312516527926/d64103ddef14a.htm)Swedish earned a base salary of $1.3 million, in addition to stock and option awards totaling $10.4 million. He also netted $1.7 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation and $237,896 in all other compensation. Swedish earned $13.5 million in total compensation in 2014.

Humana CEO Bruce Broussard: $10.3 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/49071/000119312516497524/d113980ddef14a.htm)
Broussard's total compensation has gone up only marginally from 2014, when it was $10.1 million. It includes a base salary of $1.2 million, $8.8 million in stock and option awards, and $331,774 in all other compensation. He did not receive any non-equity incentive plan compensation.

Tahuyaman
03-07-2017, 02:32 PM
The bottom line, this is a terrible plan and it has no chance of being passed.

Tahuyaman
03-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Trying to build more class envy isn't the solution either.

The Xl

Cigna CEO David Cordani: $17.3 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/701221/000119312516510378/d150537ddef14a.htm)
Cordani's total compensation rose considerably compared to 2014, when he pulled in $14.5 million. His 2015 total includes $1.2 million in base salary, $12.9 million in stock and option awards, $2.9 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation and $352,952 in other compensation.

Aetna CEO Mark Bertolini: $17.3 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1122304/000119312516535359/d94568ddef14a.htm#toc94568_30)
Bertolini's base salary in 2015 was $1.03 million, and he earned $14.1 million in stock and option awards, $1.8 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation and $271,908 in all other compensation. In 2014, Bertolini's overall compensation totaled $15 million--though that figure was down from the $30 million he earned in 2013.

UnitedHealth CEO Stephen Hemsley: $14.5 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/731766/000104746916012475/a2228249zdef14a.htm)
Hemsley's total compensation decreased from the $14.9 million he earned in 2014. His 2015 base salary was $1.4 million, and he received $9.4 million in stock and option awards in addition to $3.7 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation and $145,679 in other compensation.\

Anthem CEO Joseph Swedish: $13.6 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1156039/000119312516527926/d64103ddef14a.htm)Swedish earned a base salary of $1.3 million, in addition to stock and option awards totaling $10.4 million. He also netted $1.7 million in non-equity incentive plan compensation and $237,896 in all other compensation. Swedish earned $13.5 million in total compensation in 2014.

Humana CEO Bruce Broussard: $10.3 million (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/49071/000119312516497524/d113980ddef14a.htm)
Broussard's total compensation has gone up only marginally from 2014, when it was $10.1 million. It includes a base salary of $1.2 million, $8.8 million in stock and option awards, and $331,774 in all other compensation. He did not receive any non-equity incentive plan compensation.

I don't care if big time CEOs make their money legit. My issue is, most don't.

Captain Obvious

I'm not subsidizing their lifestyle like I do with these freeloading dirtbags.

Snowflakes will never understand this concept.

You want to pay for some fleabags pot, fine, knock yourself out. I don't.

Good on Chavez for telling it like it is.

The Xl
03-07-2017, 02:35 PM

When the top is stealing from the upper middle class down, which is how it goes much of the time, pointing that out isn't class envy.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2017, 02:36 PM

It's buying establishment dem support with middle class tax dollars basically.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 02:37 PM
I'm not subsidizing their lifestyle like I do with these freeloading dirtbags.

Snowflakes will never understand this concept.

You want to pay for some fleabags pot, fine, knock yourself out. I don't.

Good on Chavez for telling it like it is.

Yes you are .. we ALL are in the form of high insurance costs resulting in ridiculous profits.

I'd be surprised if you spent a dime on anyone's weed, malt liquor or video games last year.

FindersKeepers
03-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Since the American people WANT, in large numbers, to help those who cannot afford healthcare, I think we need to find a happy medium.

Obviously, we need only look at these CEOs to see where the money is going. That should stop. If the government wants to support any type of health program, it should be DIRECT support, not through an entirely separate industry -- like the insurance industry.

While I think the insurers should be allowed to exist, free market being what it is, I don't think the government has any right to force taxpayers to fund the insurance industry. Instead, any plan of action should involve an OPTIONAL care plan whereby the citizen could purchase healthcare (not insurance) at a reduced rate.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 02:40 PM
I don't care if big time CEOs make their money legit. My issue is, most don't.

Yep - remember THIS dirtbag?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-05-20/news/fl-rick-scott-governor-hca-20100520_1_medicare-fraud-case-hospitals-in-el-paso-hospital-giant-columbia

The Xl
03-07-2017, 02:41 PM
You think those CEOs make that kind of money if they weren't running pseudo monopolies and weren't buying off our political class? We're absolutely subsidizing them.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2017, 02:55 PM
You think those CEOs make that kind of money if they weren't running pseudo monopolies and weren't buying off our political class? We're absolutely subsidizing them.

I don't disagree.

The middle class gets fucked by both the weallthy and the low income gutter rats.

Class double penetrarion.

Cannons Front
03-07-2017, 03:09 PM

Congress does not get free health care, Members of Congress receive retirement (http://www.opm.gov/retire/) and health benefits (http://www.opm.gov/insure/) under the same plans available to other federal employees. They become vested after five years of full participation.
Note: Starting in 2014, the only health care coverage (https://www.verywell.com/cobra-insurance-information-health-insurance-1738611) made available to members of Congress and their employees by the federal government (https://www.thebalance.com/should-you-choose-your-employee-benefits-through-work-1177896?_ga=1.73412310.57648674.1488917278) will be coverage offered through the Health Insurance Exchange (http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/healthcare/a/The-Obamacare-Navigators.htm) created by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/03/27/read-the-actual-final-health-care-reform-bill.htm) - the "Obamacare Act (https://www.verywell.com/what-is-obamacare-1738505)."

Common
03-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Over the last 20 yrs the rich didnt get fabulously richer and the poor and working poor poorer because the poor is screwing the rich.

Forget GOP or dem, the rich have all the power, they are making all the money and they do that by owning politicians and having monopolies. Not only do they have the middleclass on down hostage some of them get our tax money in subsidies.

Like Big oil co and Big Corp farms and Drug Companies.

The rich incessantly whine they pay to much taxs and have to many regulations and they Have gotten super rich with them and they aint sharing it with their employees. Enough is enough, its time to do something for the working class an working poor

Captain Obvious
03-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Yes you are .. we ALL are in the form of high insurance costs resulting in ridiculous profits.

I'd be surprised if you spent a dime on anyone's weed, malt liquor or video games last year.

lol... who is profiting?

Do you even have a clue?

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Over the last 20 yrs the rich didnt get fabulously richer and the poor and working poor poorer because the poor is screwing the rich.

Forget GOP or dem, the rich have all the power, they are making all the money and they do that by owning politicians and having monopolies. Not only do they have the middleclass on down hostage some of them get our tax money in subsidies.

Like Big oil co and Big Corp farms and Drug Companies.

The rich incessantly whine they pay to much taxs and have to many regulations and they Have gotten super rich with them and they aint sharing it with their employees. Enough is enough, its time to do something for the working class an working poor

WHAAA -- Who are you and what have you done with our Common? ;-)

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 03:49 PM
lol... who is profiting?

Do you even have a clue?

Yes, big pharma and health care insurance bigwigs.

But i respect your opinion as you've worked in the industry.

Help me to understand

Common
03-07-2017, 05:52 PM
WHAAA -- Who are you and what have you done with our @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659)? ;-)
I am the same person, Ive said many times I have views on both sides of the isle. I used to lean left of center, now im further right of center and thats because the democrats totally abandoned the working middle class, they dont even know they are alive or acknowledge they experience any problems. That is the reason they have lost so many elections.

Green Arrow
03-07-2017, 05:56 PM
WHAAA -- Who are you and what have you done with our @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659)? ;-)

For as long as I can remember Common's been very consistent on that.

Archer0915
03-07-2017, 05:59 PM
So no smokes, drinking, drugs... Get a govt phone and... Nope, insurance needs to be in a competitive market... Now a 200 buck a month plan is another thing.

Bo-4
03-07-2017, 06:13 PM
So no smokes, drinking, drugs... Get a govt phone and... Nope, insurance needs to be in a competitive market... Now a 200 buck a month plan is another thing.

Awww Arch, C'mon .. can't us poor folk at least have an "Obamaphone"?

http://www.obamaphone.com

OoOpS .. wrong site:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/14/fcc-kept-obamaphone-fraud-under-wraps-until-after-it-expanded-program.html

Rut-Roh .. let's try THIS one!! :cool2:

President Obama?It’s an undisputed fact that Safelink Wireless offered the first free government cell phone in Tennessee in 2008, but don’t let the year confuse you. Barack Obama was not elected President until November of that year, but that first free government cell phone was given out three months earlier during the Bush administration.

Archer0915
03-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Awww Arch, C'mon .. can't us poor folk at least have an "Obamaphone"?

http://www.obamaphone.com

OoOpS .. wrong site:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/14/fcc-kept-obamaphone-fraud-under-wraps-until-after-it-expanded-program.html

Rut-Roh .. let's try THIS one!! :cool2:

President Obama?

It’s an undisputed fact that Safelink Wireless offered the first free government cell phone in Tennessee in 2008, but don’t let the year confuse you. Barack Obama was not elected President until November of that year, but that first free government cell phone was given out three months earlier during the Bush administration.

UHHHHH, perhaps I mis punctuated. I am saying get the O-Phone and even adding in the other stuff... Insurance is unaffordable. I am agreeing with you about that comment in the OP. Do not get an iPhone???? Really? If it were only that easy. We need a free market.

EDIT: I also galled it a gvt. phone not an OPhone.

pjohns
03-08-2017, 01:28 PM
But i'm certain that getting a lecture from you [another poster] and Entitled Angry Beaver Chaffetz will be life-altering ;-)

http://cdn.newsserve.net/i/20170214/1895-GOP-Chair-Of-House-Oversight-Committee-Declines-Calls.jpg
It is only the hard left that thinks of the upper-middle class (or even the upper class) as being "entitled."

Do you not realize that such as accusation simply reeks of envy?

And do you not realize, further, that the propensity to envy is a most undesirable character trait?

pjohns
03-08-2017, 01:33 PM
He's AWESOME ain't he? :grin:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRH9fIwWwAA7C8w.jpg

Since you are (obviously) offended by anything that flies in the face of frugality, I certainly hope that I can expect you to be consistent in this regard, and therefore condemn the Democrats' propensity to spend so many of our tax dollars--on social-welfare schemes, especially...

Captain Obvious
03-08-2017, 01:40 PM
Yes, big pharma and health care insurance bigwigs.

But i respect your opinion as you've worked in the industry.

Help me to understand

Can you substantiate how private insurance companies operate and profiteer?

You are correct about big pharma though. How did the ACA control big pharma's reign of healthcare terror on everyone?

Hint: it didn't

MisterVeritis
03-08-2017, 01:57 PM
When the top is stealing from the upper middle class down, which is how it goes much of the time, pointing that out isn't class envy.
Even you are a Marxist. We are so damaged.

Captain Obvious
03-08-2017, 02:02 PM
Even you are a Marxist. We are so damaged.

Blind projection

patrickt
03-08-2017, 02:12 PM
I guess no one ever told Chaffetz that the taxpayers are already buying cell phones for the deadbeats. And, why have health insurance when the deductible is so high you never go see a doctor?

If it were up to the government to develop the automobile the streets would still be full of horse shit.

texan
03-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Why is this surprising or frowned upon? I have coached a lot of youth sports and had to chase people around for $200 for their kid to play. They spend 2 months stringing everyone out. Meanwhile both parents drive new cars and talk about leaving practice to go out to eat every night. But I can't get $200 in cash to pay for sports they put them in. This is several families not 1, its more normal than you think. #daveramsey

Yes its a problem hooray for Chaffetz!

decedent
03-08-2017, 02:17 PM
Chaffetz is likening healthcare to a luxury. Healthcare is essential, and when millions are cut off it in a few months -- many of them Trump voters -- there will be carnage.

Captain Obvious
03-08-2017, 02:49 PM
Chaffetz is likening healthcare to a luxury. Healthcare is essential, and when millions are cut off it in a few months -- many of them Trump voters -- there will be carnage.

Healthcare provision <> healthcare coverage

The left understands very little about what they rage over.

Definition of idiocy, btw.

Green Arrow
03-08-2017, 05:10 PM
It is only the hard left that thinks of the upper-middle class (or even the upper class) as being "entitled."

Do you not realize that such as accusation simply reeks of envy?

And do you not realize, further, that the propensity to envy is a most undesirable character trait?

Chaffetz's net worth is over half a million dollars, he is not middle class by any means, not even upper.

Bo-4
03-08-2017, 05:15 PM
Chaffetz's net worth is over half a million dollars, he is not middle class by any means, not even upper.

I'd put him in the upper middle range - give him a few more years and sweet insider trades and he'll leave congress a millionaire same as everyone else but perhaps Bernie Sanders.

Bo-4
03-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Can you substantiate how private insurance companies operate and profiteer?

You are correct about big pharma though. How did the ACA control big pharma's reign of healthcare terror on everyone?

Hint: it didn't

Big insurance companies are probably the most profitable in the world.

Health Care Companies?

Oh i dunno - first guy that comes to mind is one who ran a health care company guilty of the biggest Medicare fraud in US history, company paid a 1.7 billion dollar fine, CEO took the 5th 75 times to avoid prison, marched off with a 40 mil golden parachute and went into politics.

Sound familiar?

http://images1.browardpalmbeach.com/imager/congratulations-on-your-delicious-er-i/u/original/6437756/rick_scott_nyaa_thumb_200x150.jpg

Tahuyaman
03-08-2017, 06:41 PM

And it's not The responsibilty of government to provide it.

One should ensure that they can pay for their own essentials before they purchase the luxuries.

Tahuyaman
03-08-2017, 06:45 PM

Net worth of 500k is not putting one in the class of the elites. That's quite modest.

Tahuyaman
03-08-2017, 06:47 PM

And of course profit is evil.

If an insurance company fails to remain profitable, they will cease to exist. How can they pay a claim if they can't remain profitable?

MisterVeritis
03-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Blind projection
Do you also believe, as the Marxists do, that the rich are stealing wealth from everyone else?

I love it when you guys self-identify.

MisterVeritis
03-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Repeal Obama care completely. Replace it with a note the Congress will adhere to the US Constitution.

Chaos. Arm up. Be ready.

MisterVeritis
03-08-2017, 07:03 PM
My net worth greatly exceeds that. $500K is interesting but not impressive. To be worth 500K one need only save 15% of their income each month for their working life. Buy index funds with feels less than 1%.

Peter1469
03-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Obama said the same stuff.

Captain Obvious
03-08-2017, 07:28 PM

Health Care Companies?

Oh i dunno - first guy that comes to mind is one who ran a health care company guilty of the biggest Medicare fraud in US history, company paid a 1.7 billion dollar fine, took the 5th 75 times to avoid prison, marched off with a 40 mil golden parachute and went into politics.

Sound familiar?

http://images1.browardpalmbeach.com/imager/congratulations-on-your-delicious-er-i/u/original/6437756/rick_scott_nyaa_thumb_200x150.jpg

None of that helps much, it's just standard rhetoric.

If you're interested, here's a fair start. I don't think you're interested in identifying reality though to be honest.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2016/jul/the-affordable-care-act-and-health-insurers-financial-performance

Subdermal
03-08-2017, 07:39 PM
While true, the desire to have an iPhone in such a desperate economic context is merely emblematic of the poor economic choices such a person would make.

Doubtless, Chaffetz is not simply targeting iPhones. He's targeting the notion of lack of personal fiscal responsibility, and attacking the notion of spreading debt to producers.

And I don't blame him; not one bit. These people who claim an inability to afford health care and have things like the latest iPhone doubtless also wear designer clothes; expensive sunglasses, cars that are more expensive than required, etc.

Fiscal irresponsibility isn't defined merely with one decision.

Bo-4
03-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Since you are (obviously) offended by anything that flies in the face of frugality, I certainly hope that I can expect you to be consistent in this regard, and therefore condemn the Democrats' propensity to spend so many of our tax dollars--on social-welfare schemes, especially...

Extra-Special question for pjohns - Has the deficit & debt grown more under R or D presidents over past 50 years?

Bonus question: Trump won't touch entitlements, but is all in for a trillion infrastructure and an equal amount in military spending.

We'll forget about the lame R plan on health care (just you wait for the CBO numbers ;-)

Who do you suppose will blow up the debt to 30 trillion within 3 years.

*Insert final Jeopardy music here :grin:

Bo-4
03-08-2017, 07:58 PM
My net worth greatly exceeds that. $500K is interesting but not impressive. To be worth 500K one need only save 15% of their income each month for their working life. Buy index funds with feels less than 1%.

Of COURSE it does MisterVeritis

Your e-value, e-knowlege (about everything including nukes) and e-penis are like YUUUGE!!

Duh?

:rofl:

Bo-4
03-08-2017, 08:02 PM
PLEASE just please STFU ^ if you have nothing to say about Rick Scott and his MANY nefarious dealings prior to becoming Florida Gov.

Thanks

Bo-4
03-08-2017, 08:03 PM
None of that helps much, it's just standard rhetoric.

If you're interested, here's a fair start. I don't think you're interested in identifying reality though to be honest.

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/issue-briefs/2016/jul/the-affordable-care-act-and-health-insurers-financial-performance

Cap O has regretfully been relegated to the clueless bin ^

Captain Obvious
03-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Cap O has regretfully been relegated to the clueless bin ^

This is what I mean, you bring up issues swathed with a huge brush littered with really pointless issues.

Healthcare companies - that was one of your examples, what does that even mean?

I gave you a source that would give you a lot of insight about what is actually happening in the industry relative to the insurance segment and all you provide is CEO's golden parachutes and troll-like dismissal.

Which is why I stated that you're not interested discussing reality. You would rather heckle with rhetoric and diversion.

This is why I don't engage you much.

Bo-4
03-08-2017, 08:09 PM

Indeed, but give the Angry Beaver credit - he walked it back ...

SORTA-LIKE :evil:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/07/politics/jason-chaffetz-health-care-iphones/

Bo-4
03-08-2017, 08:11 PM
This is what I mean, you bring up issues swathed with a huge brush littered with really pointless issues.

Healthcare companies - that was one of your examples, what does that even mean?

I gave you a source that would give you a lot of insight about what is actually happening in the industry relative to the insurance segment and all you provide is CEO's golden parachutes and troll-like dismissal.

Which is why I stated that you're not interested discussing reality. You would rather heckle with rhetoric and diversion.

This is why I don't engage you much.

WE are best NOT to engage .. see ya oh High Priest of Rhetoric & Division!

;-)

Tahuyaman
03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
If you need to budget your money to pay for food, housing and clothing, you don't go out and buy a new $70,000 ski boat.

Generally before you purchase luxury items you ensure you can first afford the essentials.

I guess this is a lesson government needs to teach people.

MisterVeritis
03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
My net worth greatly exceeds that. $500K is interesting but not impressive. To be worth 500K one need only save 15% of their income each month for their working life. Buy index funds with fees less than 1%.

Of COURSE it does @MisterVeritis (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1287)
Your e-value, e-knowlege (about everything including nukes) and e-penis are like YUUUGE!!
Duh?
LOL. You never figured out how to become wealthy, did you?It is true I know a great deal. I have read widely my entire life. You spent your money on drugs while I bought books to read. That may be the biggest reason for the differences between us.

I know some things about nuclear weapons. I did not have a reason for intimate knowledge. I know a great deal about general nuclear warfighting. I will let your imagination run wild concerning my size and penetrability.

If you paid attention I gave you the exact funds you need to build great wealth over time. Look them up. Live in awe.

Subdermal
03-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Extra-Special question for @pjohns (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=251) - Has the deficit & debt grown more under R or D presidents over past 50 years?

Bonus question: Trump won't touch entitlements, but is all in for a trillion infrastructure and an equal amount in military spending.

We'll forget about the lame R plan on health care (just you wait for the CBO numbers ;-)

Ignorant progs love this question.

Of course, they ignore which POTUS created a shitty economy prior to the (R) being given the reigns as a result, as well as totally ignoring just what percentage of the time in our history Congress has been controlled by leftists.

Subdermal
03-08-2017, 11:46 PM
Of COURSE it does @MisterVeritis (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1287)

Duh?

PLEASE just please STFU ^ if you have nothing to say about Rick Scott and his MANY nefarious dealings prior to becoming Florida Gov.

Thanks

Back to back posts by Bo. Lecturing himself. As it should be.

:laughing1:

del
03-08-2017, 11:47 PM
lol

the party of excuses

Dr. Who
03-09-2017, 12:41 AM
I tend to disagree. Insurance companies collude on rates - they aren't supposed to, but they do. If no insurance company will charge less than X, there is no real competition. Insurers that drop their rates significantly below the market norm end up insolvent.

Casper
03-09-2017, 12:55 AM
I suppose that I should be thankful that you finally--finally!--posted something that is not a direct denunciation of President Trump (which is rather trite at this point).

Instead, you chose merely to spew your (usual) venom upon a conservative Republican senator.

Evidently, you--like most other liberals--believe that low-income Americans cannot make wise choices for themselves; so The Benefactor State (in its role as Mommy) must make those choices for them...

So you agree with the Senators comment, after of-course, attacking the messenger. You should get a gold star or is that a gold T, whatever.

Tahuyaman
03-09-2017, 12:56 AM
I tend to disagree. Insurance companies collude on rates - they aren't supposed to, but they do. If no insurance company will charge less than X, there is no real competition. Insurers that drop their rates significantly below the market norm end up insolvent.

The answer to that is allow insurance companies to compete nationally, state to state. More competition always benefits the customer.

resister
03-09-2017, 12:57 AM

Damn, a man would find it hard to keep a helicopter fleet up and running on thar beans and rice budget! ;)

Tahuyaman
03-09-2017, 12:57 AM

Thanks

Brilliant!

Dr. Who
03-09-2017, 01:22 AM
The answer to that is allow insurance companies to compete nationally, state to state. More competition always benefits the customer.
Insurers can acquire licenses in any state that they wish to operate. They are not prevented from competing nationally. The fact is that the smaller insurers are being bought up by large national insurers and competition is decreasing exponentially.

Tahuyaman
03-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Insurers can acquire licenses in any state that they wish to operate. They are not prevented from competing nationally. The fact is that the smaller insurers are being bought up by large national insurers and competition is decreasing exponentially.

Like I said, more competion in the market place benefits the customer.

pjohns
03-09-2017, 12:53 PM
Extra-Special question for @pjohns (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=251) - Has the deficit & debt grown more under R or D presidents over past 50 years?

And with all of that, you have (once again) skirted around the central point, viz.: You seem concerned about deficits only when you can use that line as a battering ram against Republicans--and not as a matter of neutral principle.

(By the way, it is entirely irrelevant to note that debt has increased more under Republican administrations, within the past 50 years. Some of the reasons include (1) the major role that Congress plays in the matter; and (2) the need for Republican presidents to restore spending cuts to the military that their Democratic predecessors have made--see, for instance, President Trump and former President Obama.)

But I really do not wish to spend much time on your (attempt at) deflection; and would much prefer, instead, to return to the central point.

Do you suppose that you could, perhaps, do as much?

Bo-4
03-09-2017, 01:04 PM
And with all of that, you have (once again) skirted around the central point, viz.: You seem concerned about deficits only when you can use that line as a battering ram against Republicans--and not as a matter of neutral principle.

(By the way, it is entirely irrelevant to note that debt has increased more under Republican administrations, within the past 50 years. Some of the reasons include (1) the major role that Congress plays in the matter; and (2) the need for Republican presidents to restore spending cuts to the military that their Democratic predecessors have made--see, for instance, President Trump and former President Obama.)

But I really do not wish to spend much time on your (attempt at) deflection; and would much prefer, instead, to return to the central point.

Do you suppose that you could, perhaps, do as much?

Struck a nerve huh? There you go again - dissembling, obfuscation and further moving of goal posts.

Good work!

And no, i am concerned about the debt .. PERIOD. Contrary to Trumpkinian belief, the military was not "gutted - a disaster or in shambles".

The ONLY way we are going to reduce the debt is to cut the military budget in half (Obama increased it).

Not sure how you can look at Trump's proposals and come to ANY other conclusion but that he will balloon the debt to 30 trillion within 4 years.

Tahuyaman
03-09-2017, 02:29 PM
The only cuts a liberal will tolerate are ones to our national defense.

Dr. Who
03-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Like I said, more competion in the market place benefits the customer.

Don't hold your breath. Aetna and Humana would be merged now, but for the fact that the merger was blocked by the Court as violating antitrust laws. Then again the Trump administration may relax those laws. Meanwhile, a Cigna/Anthem proposed merger is awaiting a federal court decision. http://healthaffairs.org/blog/2017/01/30/court-blocks-aetna-humana-deal-the-mega-mergers-meet-the-trump-administration-next/