PDA

View Full Version : Medicaid for all as a basic blanket coverage for all Americans

ripmeister
03-15-2017, 10:29 AM
This is an idea that Trump, considering his campaign promises should consider. I think this idea merits discussion. For those of you who are in the social Darwinism camp we know where you stand so save us the time.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/14/14923784/christopher-ruddy-medicaid

Captain Obvious
03-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Say goodbye to access, providers will leave the country by boatloads.

Many of them now won't take Caid, it pays well below the cost of delivering healthcare.

And say hello to McHealthcare.

Cigar
03-15-2017, 10:33 AM
The Democrats had this idea 8 years ago and The Republicans Torpedoed it.

Subdermal
03-15-2017, 10:56 AM
This is an idea that Trump, considering his campaign promises should consider. I think this idea merits discussion. For those of you who are in the social Darwinism camp we know where you stand so save us the time.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/14/14923784/christopher-ruddy-medicaid

So you request that your premise that health care is a right should not be challenged?

Seems like someone afraid to debate.

Your idea is nothing more than a diffferent tack to take to institute UHC. No thanks, comrade. You can keep it in your second rate countries. We strive for first rate here.

Mini Me
03-15-2017, 11:23 AM
What we need is MEDISCARE for all!

Medicaid sucks!

MisterVeritis
03-15-2017, 11:27 AM

This ends the United States of America.

DGUtley
03-15-2017, 11:35 AM
I expect it'll come to that as an option. I said it 8 years ago -- why not make everyone that wants it able to sign up for it but retain the then-existing insurance market. No compulsion. No blowing up or controlling anything. If you want a free-market plan, pay for it. If you want Mordor's plan, go for it.

Peter1469
03-15-2017, 04:09 PM
When people get free healthcare it should be on the cheap.

Stan Brock has a great way to deliver healthcare to people. Check out Remote Area Medical. It has been adapted to US rural areas as well.

It works. It is not expensive.

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 07:40 PM

I have come a little way on this issue.

Here's why-

Children. Sometimes children can be cursed with dreadful or simply poor parents who cannot afford proper healthcare.

This type of care should be available to all kids.

But that blanket goes away when you become an adult.

Fear profits a man nothing.

Captain Obvious
03-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Here's why-

Children. Sometimes children can be cursed with dreadful or simply poor parents who cannot afford proper healthcare.

Agreed.

Many states like PA have an "all kids qualify" for coverage program. PA's plan, at least when I lived there covered any kid regardless of household income.

I have no problem with stuff like this. None whatsoever.

I do have a problem covering freeloading adults who are unwilling to earn their keep.

Hence Trump, his election was in part made possible by progressive legislation gone wild.

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 08:03 PM
Agreed.

Many states like PA have an "all kids qualify" for coverage program. PA's plan, at least when I lived there covered any kid regardless of household income.

I have no problem with stuff like this. None whatsoever.

I do have a problem covering freeloading adults who are unwilling to earn their keep.

Hence Trump, his election was in part made possible by progressive legislation gone wild.
That is where my social Darwinism comes into play.

I'll spare the innocent - children, from some of the horrors of this world if I can. But if you become a free loading oxygen thief, well I take a dim view towards that.

Cigar
03-15-2017, 08:07 PM
That is where my social Darwinism comes into play.

I'll spare the innocent - children, from some of the horrors of this world if I can. But if you become a free loading oxygen thief, well I take a dim view towards that.

We all take a dim view of that, so why can't we just enforce that without making the people who are in need suffer?

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 09:10 PM
We all take a dim view of that, so why can't we just enforce that without making the people who are in need suffer?
Because partisans are more concerned about their football team winning than solving problems. Both sides are equally guilty.

Ever wonder why I swing libertarian?

Because I believe black homosexual Muslims should still be assured their rights provided they are citizens of this country.

ripmeister
03-15-2017, 09:22 PM
So you request that your premise that health care is a right should not be challenged?

Seems like someone afraid to debate.

Your idea is nothing more than a diffferent tack to take to institute UHC. No thanks, comrade. You can keep it in your second rate countries. We strive for first rate here.

Well, first off I won't shy away from a debate. Secondly, "the idea" was from the linked author. I simply found it to be an interesting take on things considering Trumps promises. I would agree that the Medicaid approach would not be good for a host of reasons including the point made about reimbursements. The idea of a basic blanket coverage for all with a private supplementary insurance market might make a good compromise.

ripmeister
03-15-2017, 09:24 PM
This ends the United States of America.
Why?

ripmeister
03-15-2017, 09:27 PM

Here's why-

This is an important point. Our local Children's hospital treats all regardless of their ability to pay. 50% or greater of their patient population is on Medicaid. If Ryan's plan comes to fruition it will be devastating for that patient population and the providers that give them care.

Captain Obvious
03-15-2017, 09:39 PM
Because partisans are more concerned about their football team winning than solving problems. Both sides are equally guilty.

Because I believe black homosexual Muslims should still be assured their rights provided they are citizens of this country.

Boom

Cigar
03-15-2017, 09:49 PM

True, but Voters have the responsibility to Vote, when allowed without obstructions. Elected officials have the responsibility to "Govern" ... that's what Elected Politicians are supose to do. If you don't like Government, do something else for a living. But don't play the part of an Elected Official and not do your Job.

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 10:37 PM
True, but Voters have the responsibility to Vote, when allowed without obstructions. Elected officials have the responsibility to "Govern" ... that's what Elected Politicians are supose to do. If you don't like Government, do something else for a living. But don't play the part of an Elected Official and not do your Job.
I think we disagree on a fundamental level on what government *should* be involved in.

But I agree entirely about doing the job you're paid/elected to do.

Dr. Who
03-15-2017, 11:02 PM
Say goodbye to access, providers will leave the country by boatloads.

Many of them now won't take Caid, it pays well below the cost of delivering healthcare.

And say hello to McHealthcare.
The providers are really the doctors. Where will they go? Europe, with public healthcare? The third world?

Dr. Who
03-15-2017, 11:12 PM

Here's why-

Some of those parents have kids. Some of those parents are not "on paper" poor enough to qualify for Medicaid, but can't afford to pay for insurance and feed/house their kids. What did they do that they deserve to die if there is treatment to save their lives. Do their children deserve to end up on welfare if the family provider dies? Does it cost more or less than the cost of health care to support people on welfare because the one that is left can't support the family.

Peter1469
03-16-2017, 12:08 AM
The providers are really the doctors. Where will they go? Europe, with public healthcare? The third world?

Business school. Law school. Something other than medical school.

Peter1469
03-16-2017, 12:10 AM
Or qualify for subsidized O-care and can't afford their new deductibles. That number is slightly higher than those getting the free ride.
Some of those parents have kids. Some of those parents are not "on paper" poor enough to qualify for Medicaid, but can't afford to pay for insurance and feed/house their kids. What did they do that they deserve to die if there is treatment to save their lives. Do their children deserve to end up on welfare if the family provider dies? Does it cost more or less than the cost of health care to support people on welfare because the one that is left can't support the family.