PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Spring piston pellet guns

resister
03-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Just got a new toy for 127.00$ A 22 cal. Crossman crusher spring piston pellet rifle. It fires a 14 gr pellet at 800 fps producing 20 ft lbs (according to the manufactuer)

Is it a "real" gun? Not really, but this aint your childhood bb gun. It would be illegal in Canada and the UK.

It comes with a 4 X 32 scope and can hit cans at 150 feet(more if you do your part). It can dispatch medium game at a range of 60 feet or so (maybe more, but unethical)

It is cheap and quiet to shoot. It satisfies the shooting bug when I don't want the hassle of shooting my pistols.

And with a good backstop and a fair sized yard, you can plink with out hitting the woods.

Private Pickle
03-15-2017, 08:29 PM
What are you gonna use it for? Maybe Safety would like to understand the quiet nature of such a gun so he can poach protected animals in peace...

resister
03-15-2017, 08:37 PM
What are you gonna use it for? Maybe @Safety (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1226) would like to understand the quiet nature of such a gun so he can poach protected animals in peace...
Just cheap plinking, maybe rabbits. Went to the river to zeroe it today. Saw a bald eagle 200 yards off. Used the 4 power scope to check out the eagle, it was unloaded. Just a magnification aide.

Shooting protected birds is not my cup of tea.

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 09:06 PM
What are you gonna use it for? Maybe Safety would like to understand the quiet nature of such a gun so he can poach protected animals in peace...
Oi vey.

Fear profits a man nothing.

resister
03-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Oi vey.

Oh wow is he who poaches!

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Oh wow is he who poaches!
When wild Animals attack livestock, their protected status ends.

resister
03-15-2017, 09:18 PM

FTR record, a redtailed hawk cant even take a squirell.

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 09:21 PM
FTR record, a redtailed hawk cant even take a squirell.
Then he better not try to take one out on somebody's lawn.

Wild animals stay in the wild, of thru roam where people live they get domesticated, trained and put to a purpose.

Or die.

Safety
03-15-2017, 09:24 PM

I appreciate you showing that there are still mature and intelligent members here.

resister
03-15-2017, 09:30 PM
Any who, spring piston pellet guns are loads of fun. I can put a hole in a quarter with mine, when you tape it to plywood.

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 09:40 PM
I appreciate you showing that there are still mature and intelligent members here.
We may differ on many things.

But I'm on team people. And as far as I'm concerned, you should have shot that hawk twice.

Cthulhu
03-15-2017, 09:41 PM
Any who, spring piston pellet guns are loads of fun. I can put a hole in a quarter with mine, when you tape it to plywood.
Sounds like a good gift for a young boy.

What is the best way to store it so as to avoid spring fatigue?

resister
03-15-2017, 09:55 PM
Sounds like a good gift for a young boy.

What is the best way to store it so as to avoid spring fatigue?

Well with a springer, you don't store it cocked, it weakens the mainspring, mine is actually a nitrogen gas ram, similar to the opening mech on an SUV back glass. You can store it cocked, but I generally rely on my loaded 44 for that sort of thing.

I would not give this to a boy under 16. It will burry in a phone book at point blank, at least 3 inches. A phone book is tougher than a body.

Gas rams produce way less vibrations, thus greater accuracy. The principle is the same as a spring, a piston is pushed down a chamber pushing air thru the port at the breech pushing the pellet.

resister
03-15-2017, 10:00 PM
This explains it better than me.
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/blog/2013/04/a-few-words-about-gas-rams-gas-springs-and-nitro-piston.html

resister
03-15-2017, 10:26 PM
We may differ on many things.

But I'm on team people. And as far as I'm concerned, you should have shot that hawk twice.

Maybe then he might of hit it once, he hit what the little boy shot at, which is to say...nothing.

Common
03-16-2017, 07:26 AM
Once got a call that a man was leaning out of the first floor window of a small grain factory with a rifle. We get there take all precautions, he looked scared half to death anyway it turned out to be a pellet gun bought and owned by the company.

I said what the hell are you using it for and he said if you will walk over here ill show you. I was stunned there was a pile of dead rats and the biggest fattest rats ive ever seen. All the do all night is eat spent beer grains picked up from breweries and they just blow up and get huge. They bought the pellet gun to try and control them

resister
03-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Once got a call that a man was leaning out of the first floor window of a small grain factory with a rifle. We get there take all precautions, he looked scared half to death anyway it turned out to be a pellet gun bought and owned by the company.

I said what the hell are you using it for and he said if you will walk over here ill show you. I was stunned there was a pile of dead rats and the biggest fattest rats ive ever seen. All the do all night is eat spent beer grains picked up from breweries and they just blow up and get huge. They bought the pellet gun to try and control themThey are commonly used for pest control in some industrys.

Stick
03-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Just got a new toy for 127.00$ A 22 cal. Crossman crusher spring piston pellet rifle. It fires a 14 gr pellet at 800 fps producing 20 ft lbs (according to the manufactuer)

Is it a "real" gun? Not really, but this aint your childhood bb gun. It would be illegal in Canada and the UK.

It comes with a 4 X 32 scope and can hit cans at 150 feet(more if you do your part). It can dispatch medium game at a range of 60 feet or so (maybe more, but unethical)

It is cheap and quiet to shoot. It satisfies the shooting bug when I don't want the hassle of shooting my pistols.

And with a good backstop and a fair sized yard, you can plink with out hitting the woods.
I have a Gammo .17 cal. With BPA ammo it is advertised to go 1250fps and I believe it. Point blank it goes right through a 2x4 and I have no problem dropping crows with it at 30 yards or more.

Fun toy!

nic34
03-16-2017, 03:52 PM
They are commonly used for pest control in some industrys.

Prolly save on powder and brass eh?

resister
03-16-2017, 03:53 PM
I have a Gammo .17 cal. With BPA ammo it is advertised to go 1250fps and I believe it. Point blank it goes right through a 2x4 and I have no problem dropping crows with it at 30 yards or more.

Fun toy!
I like playing with mine when I don't feel like shooting my cap n balls. They are really fun but a real bitch to clean.

Next on the list is a PCP big bore air gun, ballistics similar to firearms but very pricey :embarrassed:

resister
03-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Prolly save on powder and brass eh?
A lot cheaper to shoot than a 22 even. I'm waiting on the tech to improve to the point where the same mech can shoot big bore bullets.

I'm sure it can already but size limitations likely make that currently impractical. Also cocking force is an issue, my current 22 is about 30 pounds of force needed to depress the ram.

Stick
03-16-2017, 04:02 PM
I like playing with mine when I don't feel like shooting my cap n balls. They are really fun but a real bitch to clean.

Next on the list is a PCP big bore air gun, ballistics similar to firearms but very pricey :embarrassed:

Very heavy and they're not very quiet, either. Louder than a nail gun. There was a guy shooting one at a gravel pit near my house one day so I walked down to check out the strange sounding gun. I want to say it was .35caliber(?) I'm not sure who made it or what the price is but it didn't seen like it had any practical purpose.

resister
03-16-2017, 04:08 PM
http://www.extremebigboreairrifles.com/ Check this sight out. They are achieving 500 ft lbs of energy, incredible for an airgun. They have a reservoir that is filled to 3,000 psi. Not bad when you consider that firearm bore pressures can easily hit 30,000 psi.
Ones custom made by machinest are objects de art!

Stick
03-16-2017, 04:15 PM
http://www.extremebigboreairrifles.com/ Check this sight out. They are achieving 500 ft lbs of energy, incredible for an airgun. They have a reservoir that is filled to 3,000 psi. Not bad when you consider that firearm bore pressures can easily hit 30,000 psi.
Ones custom made by machinest are objects de art!

DAYEM!!!

You're right though, spendy buggers, ain't they!

resister
03-16-2017, 04:21 PM
DAYEM!!!

You're right though, spendy buggers, ain't they!
Yes they are, they can be had for about 600$ from Dennis Quackenbush.
https://youtu.be/UELQWQ1SpxU Trying to link this hopefully I did it right
https://youtu.be/UELQWQ1SpxUThey have a 72 cal producing over 700 or so foot lbs :shocked: These aint jr's red ryder!

resister
03-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Even if gun control goes rampant, legislation was passed long ago prohibiting the fed from calling any airgun a firearm.

AZ Jim
03-16-2017, 04:33 PM
^^^^My question is, are felons who did prison time, such as you allowed guns where you live?

resister
03-16-2017, 04:44 PM
^^^^My question is, are felons who did prison time, such as you allowed guns where you live?
Since you asked here is the statute, Fl. Statute 790.001(1) You can look it up if you want to, I could not find the link but this is quoted directly from The hunting regulations from the FWC.

Also, as already noted, airguns cannot be classified as a fire arm.

That fl statute addresses antique firearms and felons. An antique fire arm is defined as "Antiuqe firearm means any firearm manufactured in or before 1918 or replica thereof.

resister
03-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Pretty sure I already went over this in other threads you have seen, why don't you ask safety if shooting hawks is legal?

resister
03-16-2017, 04:48 PM
Here you go read it https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/790.001

AZ Jim
03-16-2017, 04:50 PM
Have you completed the application for restoration of gun rights? Unless you possess such documentation, you are NOT legal. http://legalbeagle.com/6461767-florida-gun-laws-felons.html

resister
03-16-2017, 04:56 PM
Have you completed the application for restoration of gun rights? Unless you possess such documentation, you are NOT legal. http://legalbeagle.com/6461767-florida-gun-laws-felons.html
Did you read the statute I linked? If you did you would know better. I bought mine from the pawn shop with my own name. They told me a cop came in and swore he was going to arrest me as I broke the law, they told him it was legal, he did not believe it, went to his truck looked on his computer they said when he came back in you could see the anger on his face.

You can quote the opinion of a lawyer, I quoted the fl statute and my experience with law enforcement

jimmyz
03-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Pretty sure I already went over this in other threads you have seen, why don't you ask safety if shooting hawks is legal?

AZ Jim is just being a douche like usual in bringing up your past that has been satisfied within the law.

resister
03-16-2017, 04:59 PM
Have you completed the application for restoration of gun rights? Unless you possess such documentation, you are NOT legal. http://legalbeagle.com/6461767-florida-gun-laws-felons.htmlI noticed your link of a lawyers interpretation did not link any fl statutes. If you have not read the link I provided I suggest you do so, then you can be informed.

resister
03-16-2017, 05:00 PM
AZ Jim is just being a douche like usual in bringing up your past that has been satisfied within the law.
I know that, I even posted the direct Fl statute which he evidently did not bother read.

AZ Jim
03-16-2017, 05:02 PM
I noticed your link of a lawyers interpretation did not link any fl statutes. If you have not read the link I provided I suggest you do so, then you can be informed.Have you filed for restoration and do you have documentation?

resister
03-16-2017, 05:02 PM
He is such a stickler for law, safety attempting to shoot protected birds does not concern him.

resister
03-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Have you filed for restoration and do you have documentation?You still refuse to read the specific fl law I linked you to?

AZ Jim
03-16-2017, 05:04 PM
If I had my way, convicted felons would have NO RIGHTS under our Constitution.

resister
03-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Yeah well, your grumpy old ass cant have your way, all you can do is troll and seeth with impotent rage. Get a life gramps.

jimmyz
03-16-2017, 05:08 PM

Luckily you Leftists have leaned that you don't always "get your way". November 9, 2016 for instance.

resister
03-16-2017, 05:12 PM
Then who the hell would vote for democrats?

AZ Jim
03-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Go old school, shoot cap n ball and cast your bullets!

AZ Jim
03-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Then who the hell would vote for democrats?Uh....MOST AMERICANS!!!

Ravens Fan
03-16-2017, 05:34 PM
@jimmyz Do not insult members.

resister
03-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Go old school, shoot cap n ball and cast your bullets!Try it! You will like it!

Cletus
03-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Very heavy and they're not very quiet, either. Louder than a nail gun. There was a guy shooting one at a gravel pit near my house one day so I walked down to check out the strange sounding gun. I want to say it was .35caliber(?) I'm not sure who made it or what the price is but it didn't seen like it had any practical purpose.

Precision airgun shooting is a big sport in parts of Europe. At one time, the Swiss ( I don't know if they still do) actually had the use of airguns against occupying forces a standard part of their doctrine of resistance of anyone ever invaded them.

Cletus
03-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Have you filed for restoration and do you have documentation?

Why don't you go out and yell at the neighbor kids to get off your lawn and leave him alone?

resister
03-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Precision airgun shooting is a big sport in parts of Europe. At one time, the Swiss ( I don't know if they still do) actually had the use of airguns against occupying forces a standard part of their doctrine of resistance of anyone ever invded them.The original lewis and clark big bore airgun is in the NRA collection, I think it is a 42 cal and to think they only had a pump with leather seals to charge the reservoir. I believe it is called a gioradoli made in Italy. I wonder about its ballistic properties?

resister
03-16-2017, 05:45 PM
Why don't you go out and yell at the neighbor kids to get off your lawn and leave him alone?
He should follow his signatures advice!

Chris
03-16-2017, 06:10 PM

Call out insult.

Stick
03-16-2017, 07:33 PM
What a dick thing to say. Dragging real life events into the thread for no other purpose than to insult someone? What the hell is your problem?

resister
03-16-2017, 07:49 PM
What a dick thing to say. Dragging real life events into the thread for no other purpose than to insult someone? What the hell is your problem? He is just a jackass troll like that, he is still sore I put him on front street for sending me a nasty PM over a misspelling on my very first day.

resister
03-16-2017, 07:52 PM
What a dick thing to say. Dragging real life events into the thread for no other purpose than to insult someone? What the hell is your problem?Then when I answered his question with links to the Fl statutes he ignores them and post opinion pieces that don't quote any state laws, then goes on to post another thread about me and halls ass from his own thread when I make him look a fool by posting the statutes and how the game commission views them in regard to felons hunting.