PDA

View Full Version : President Trump's proposed budget

pjohns
03-16-2017, 07:26 PM
It seems to me rather doubtful that President Trump's proposed budget will survive in its present form.

Nonetheless, I think that it is very good.

There are three immutable points that I would propose:

(1) Federal income taxes must not be increased on the American people--on any of the American people.

(2) Military spending must be increased--considerably.

(3) The national debt must not be increased. (In fact, I would really like to see it lowered.)

After that, I would agree to talk.

But those three principles should not be ignored--or in any way compromised.

resister
03-16-2017, 07:31 PM
If every federal budget was cut 5 % except military, I bet we would be in great shape.

Peter1469
03-16-2017, 07:48 PM
It seems to me rather doubtful that President Trump's proposed budget will survive in its present form.

Nonetheless, I think that it is very good.

There are three immutable points that I would propose:

(1) Federal income taxes must not be increased on the American people--on any of the American people.

(2) Military spending must be increased--considerably.

(3) The national debt must not be increased. (In fact, I would really like to see it lowered.)

After that, I would agree to talk.

But those three principles should not be ignored--or in any way compromised.

For #3 you have to eliminate the deficit before you can pay a dime on the debt. I don't see congress cutting enough to cut the deficit in half, much less to and below zero.

pjohns
03-16-2017, 07:57 PM
For #3 you have to eliminate the deficit before you can pay a dime on the debt.
Absolutely.

And I would propose a budget that does not add even one dime to the national debt.

In fact, I would probably propose a budget that is beneath expected expenditures--even if that means some drastic cutting of non-defense expenditures.

Peter1469
03-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Absolutely.

And I would propose a budget that does not add even one dime to the national debt.

In fact, I would probably propose a budget that is beneath expected expenditures--even if that means some drastic cutting of non-defense expenditures.

That would have to include the non-discretionary budget, which I believe is 2/3rds of our spending.

ripmeister
03-16-2017, 08:17 PM
That would have to include the non-discretionary budget, which I believe is 2/3rds of our spending.
Therein lies your problem. Unless you address SS, Medicare and defense you are whistling in the wind.

Peter1469
03-17-2017, 04:54 AM
Therein lies your problem. Unless you address SS, Medicare and defense you are whistling in the wind.

Bingo.

Green Arrow
03-17-2017, 05:50 AM
Don't add to the deficit - but expand spending in an already over-bloated budget and don't raise revenues to compensate.

Sounds legit.

Crepitus
03-17-2017, 06:30 AM
Cut the military budget by 10% and we will be in pretty good shape everywhere else.

MMC
03-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Cut foreign aid.....stop all money going to the UN and NATO. Cut all Federal Programs that the Demos expanded and or created. Get the majority of the Demos out of the Federal Government. Get rid of the Dept of Education, and Office of the US Marshall.

Then there is no need to cut the military or defense spending.

pjohns
03-17-2017, 12:21 PM
[T]he non-discretionary budget...I believe is 2/3rds of our spending.
I won't argue with that.

But I would take a meat cleaver to entitlement spending.

(And no, I do not consider Medicare and Social Security to be mere entitlements. I paid for them all of my working lifetime, through deductions in my paychecks.)

MisterVeritis
03-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Cut the military budget by 10% and we will be in pretty good shape everywhere else.
New math?

Crepitus
03-17-2017, 04:24 PM
New math?

Nope. 50 billion dollars in extra cash.

Peter1469
03-17-2017, 05:34 PM
I won't argue with that.

(And no, I do not consider Medicare and Social Security to be mere entitlements. I paid for them all of my working lifetime, through deductions in my paychecks.)
That is the bulk of the non-discretionary budget.

Green Arrow
03-17-2017, 09:05 PM
I won't argue with that.

Naturally. You have to make sure your sacred cows are protected. Cuts for me, but not for thee.

Green Arrow
03-17-2017, 09:06 PM
Cut foreign aid.....stop all money going to the UN and NATO. Cut all Federal Programs that the Demos expanded and or created. Get the majority of the Demos out of the Federal Government. Get rid of the Dept of Education, and Office of the US Marshall.

Then there is no need to cut the military or defense spending.

Foreign aid is a necessary component of diplomacy.

Captain Obvious
03-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Foreign aid is a necessary component of diplomacy.

You misspelled "dependence"

Green Arrow
03-17-2017, 09:11 PM
You misspelled "dependence"

No, I didn't.

MisterVeritis
03-17-2017, 09:15 PM
Nope. 50 billion dollars in extra cash.
In a three-plus trillion dollar budget is trivial. Will you hold to your claim that a mere 50 billion will solve the rest of the budget woes?

New math?

ripmeister
03-17-2017, 09:48 PM
In a three-plus trillion dollar budget is trivial. Will you hold to your claim that a mere 50 billion will solve the rest of the budget woes?

New math?

So I would take that to mean that those programs you want cut are a triviality when it comes to cost as well?

MisterVeritis
03-17-2017, 11:39 PM
So I would take that to mean that those programs you want cut are a triviality when it comes to cost as well?
Begin ending unconstitutional programs. They account for nearly the whole budget.Sure. Every cut is trivial. So cut more.