PDA

View Full Version : Confederate Constitution

resister
03-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Working in my friends bookstore today, came across a book on the history of the constitution and it addressed the confederate constitution, just glanced thru it (not paid to read).

One thing that popped out, the President and VP were to serve a 6 year term with no reelection.

I always said one term would be great for all elected positions, do your job and not focus on reelection.

Since the confederacy lasted less than 6 years, who knows how it would of worked out? I should try to get that book and expand on this thread.

I often wonder what life in the confederate states of America would of looked like?

Save your Confederate $ boys! The south will rise again! (redneck bumper sticker I have seen) :laugh:

del
03-22-2017, 10:27 PM
Working in my friends bookstore today, came across a book on the history of the constitution and it addressed the confederate constitution, just glanced thru it (not paid to read).

One thing that popped out, the President and VP were to serve a 6 year term with no reelection.

I always said one term would be great for all elected positions, do your job and not focus on reelection.

Since the confederacy lasted less than 6 years, who knows how it would of worked out? I should try to get that book and expand on this thread.

I often wonder what life in the confederate states of America would of looked like?

Save your Confederate $ boys! The south will rise again! (redneck bumper sticker I have seen) :laugh:

depends

what color are you?

resister
03-22-2017, 10:33 PM
depends

what color are you?
Well, it was admittedly pro slavery (relatively) There was free trade of slaves within the confederacy(but no slave sales outside the states)

If the south had won, how long do you think slavery would of continued? I doubt past 1900.

No doubt modern Fl would of been drastically different. It sounds like a great idea for a novel.

jimmyz
03-22-2017, 10:34 PM
depends

what color are you?

Is Cracker a color

Just messing with you Resistor :tongue: My avatar used to be the Confederate battle Flag

resister
03-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Is Cracker a color

Just messing with you Resistor :tongue: My avatar used to be the Confederate battle Flag
I wear Fl cracker with pride, I still make and use bullwhips. Fl cracker denotes historical cattlemen.

jimmyz
03-22-2017, 10:37 PM
I wear Fl cracker with pride, I still make and use bullwhips. Fl cracker denotes historical cattlemen.

Thanks for learning me.

del
03-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Well, it was admittedly pro slavery (relatively) There was free trade of slaves within the confederacy(but no slave sales outside the states)

If the south had won, how long do you think slavery would of continued? I doubt past 1900.

No doubt modern Fl would of been drastically different. It sounds like a great idea for a novel.

it would have continued as long as they could have made it. it was the driving force and basic raison d'etre for the confederacy.

Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery -- subordination to the superior race -- is his natural and normal condition. [Applause.] This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederate States of America
Cornerstone Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861
https://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~ras2777/amgov/stephens.html

resister
03-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Thanks for learning me.
Many A frame historical houses (wood) around here are called cracker houses! No word on the color of the occupants!

resister
03-22-2017, 10:48 PM
it would have continued as long as they could have made it. it was the driving force and basic raison d'etre for the confederacy.

Alexander Stephens, Vice President of the Confederate States of America
Cornerstone Speech
Savannah, Georgia
March 21, 1861
https://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~ras2777/amgov/stephens.html
I really don't think they would of gotten away with it much longer though. Many think modern day minimum wage paycheck to paycheck living is not far removed from it.

Doublejack
03-22-2017, 10:50 PM
It was my understanding the confederacy was aimed towards moving south conquering mexico etc and advancing the slave trade.

I doubt that the world would see this as acceptable.

If the south had 'won' I don't think America would be much more than a history lesson on what not to do.

del
03-22-2017, 10:51 PM
I really don't think they would of gotten away with it much longer though. Many think modern day minimum wage paycheck to paycheck living is not far removed from it.
you're entitled to your opinion

resister
03-22-2017, 11:00 PM
your entitled to your opinion
I don't know, I am just speculating. Reading that section of book just made me wonder what a divided America would of looked like today.

FTR, I think slavery sucks along with mass incarceration of the non violent and reformable.

Dad gum it, now I am curious and must do some research. I abhor slavery on many levels, but that constitution had some food for thought.

resister
03-22-2017, 11:25 PM
Here it is for those interested in reading it

http://civilwarhome.com/csconstitution.htm

resister
03-22-2017, 11:36 PM
There are many similarities but some important fundamental differences, such as the states retaining way more sovereignity.

If you have time and interest, read it. Fascinating.

Hal Jordan
03-22-2017, 11:43 PM
I'm going to read it, but for the record, I think the longest Slavery could have lasted would have been 1915-1920 It was on its way out naturally anyway

resister
03-22-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm going to read it, but for the record, I think the longest Slavery could have lasted would have been 1915-1920 It was on its way out naturally anyway
I think it still exist in isolated pockets, but I hope not on a national level, if so where are the world police?

resister
03-22-2017, 11:50 PM
I have skimmed over it (kinda dry reading) I have not seen a second ammendmant, though I would think it was in there somewhere!

Hal Jordan
03-22-2017, 11:53 PM
I think it still exist in isolated pockets, but I hope not on a national level, if so where are the world police?

Well, I was speaking of specifically in the US (or CSA if they had survived).

Doublejack
03-22-2017, 11:55 PM
Ya worldwide there are more slaves today than at any point in human history.

On average you can buy a person for around 100 bucks.

resister
03-22-2017, 11:58 PM
Ya worldwide there are more slaves today than at any point in human history.

On average you can buy a person for around 100 bucks.
Where the hell is the national outrage? Is it officially sanctioned by any nations? If so, are they part of NATO?

Doublejack
03-23-2017, 12:09 AM
Where the hell is the national outrage? Is it officially sanctioned by any nations? If so, are they part of NATO?

Surely it's banned/outlawed everywhere but ...

It's not profitable to prevent it.

All people benefit from it.

resister
03-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Surely it's banned/outlawed everywhere but ...

It's not profitable to prevent it.

All people benefit from it.
Kinda like here, where the migrant workers are bussed to wal mart and work and live like 12 in a single family house that is sanctioned by local Gov that residents would never pass code with.

One hand washes the other!

resister
03-23-2017, 12:27 AM
It was my understanding the confederacy was aimed towards moving south conquering mexico etc and advancing the slave trade.

I doubt that the world would see this as acceptable.

If the south had 'won' I don't think America would be much more than a history lesson on what not to do.
I guess we would of subjugated the north? Even as a native Fl cracker, I am glad we did not( maybe?) Who knows what might of been.

Our mistake was slavery and not enough industrialization. Hicks with single shot muzzleloaders can only go so far.

Doublejack
03-23-2017, 12:41 AM
I guess we would of subjugated the north? Even as a native Fl cracker, I am glad we did not( maybe?) Who knows what might of been.

Our mistake was slavery and not enough industrialization. Hicks with single shot muzzleloaders can only go so far.

Yeap just living the good life for all intensive purposes. Would have been a good spot to stop time imho. well, besides the whole slavery stuff.

resister
03-23-2017, 12:45 AM
Yeap just living the good life for all intensive purposes. Would have been a good spot to stop time imho. well, besides the whole slavery stuff.
Like I said earlier, a great idea for a novel! Maybe I should get a case of jack and camp on the river and write it! As far as I know, never heard of one!

Time stands still for no man!

Ethereal
03-23-2017, 05:30 AM
depends

what color are you?

The implication being that blacks would not have received equal treatment to whites, which seems fairly obvious. However, they didn't receive equal treatment in the north either. And there were actually more free blacks living in the south on the eve of the "civil war" than in the north. So while blacks wouldn't have fared well under the confederate government, the north's invasion and occupation of the south did little to change that in either region.

resister
03-23-2017, 09:47 AM
The implication being that blacks would not have received equal treatment to whites, which seems fairly obvious. However, they didn't receive equal treatment in the north either. And there were actually more free blacks living in the south on the eve of the "civil war" than in the north. So while blacks wouldn't have fared well under the confederate government, the north's invasion and occupation of the south did little to change that in either region.
Very true. People seem to easily forget this.