PDA

View Full Version : 80% of Americans Oppose Sanctuary Cities

FindersKeepers
03-28-2017, 05:35 AM
This comes from a Harvard Study.

While the definition of sanctuary cities is pretty loose, 80% of those polled in the Harris study:

"...say cities that arrest illegal immigrants for crimes should be required to turn them over to immigration authorities."

I copied the slide and am posting it here -- the study is on Powerpoint and I don't know if everyone can open it. If you can -- it's slide #33.

If you can here is the link:
http://caps.gov.harvard.edu/files/caps/files/caps-harris_poll.pptx

So, what do you make of this sentiment? How should we, as Americans, respond?

waltky
03-28-2017, 07:39 AM
Granny says, "Dat's right - don't give `em any tax dollars...
http://www.politicalwrinkles.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif
DOJ Plans to Block Grants for 'Sanctuary Cities'
March 28, 2017 | WASHINGTON -- Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday said jurisdictions must demonstrate that they are not so-called “sanctuary cities” in order to receive grants from the Justice Department.

Following up on President Trump’s promises to crack down on cities and counties that refuse to turn over illegal immigrants to federal officials, Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday said jurisdictions must demonstrate that they are not so-called “sanctuary cities” in order to receive grants from the Justice Department. In a move that could mean the loss of billions of dollars to local jurisdictions across the United States, Sessions referred to Trump’s executive order issued in January, telling a news conference that “this disregard for law must end. Today I’m urging states and local jurisdictions to comply with the federal laws,” including 8 U.S. Code, Section 1373.”

That law dictates “communication between government agencies and the Immigration and Naturalization Service” and says that states and local jurisdictions must comply with request by the Immigration and Naturalization Service for information “regarding the citizenship or immigration status, lawful or unlawful, of any individual.” “Moreover,” said Sessions, “the Department of Justice will require that jurisdictions seeking or applying for Department of Justice grants to certify compliance with 1373 as a condition of receiving those awards.”

The news has broad implications for the Bay Area, which has a number of sanctuary counties including San Francisco, Santa Cruz and Alameda, as well as a cities like Oakland and San Jose. Executives at these local entities have been bracing for bad news since late January when President Trump signed orders to clamp down on illegal immigration. That move set up an inevitable showdown between the White House and cities like San Francisco where leaders have vowed to to fight efforts to hand over illegal immigrants to the federal government for deportation.

State ?Senate ?President Pro Tem? Kevin de Leon?, D-Los Angeles,? ?blasted Sessions’ announcement, saying it? was “nothing short of blackmail.” “Instead of making us safer, the Trump administration is spreading fear and promoting race-based scapegoating?,” the Senate leader said in a statement Monday.? ??”Their gun-to-the-head method to force resistant cities and counties to participate in Trump’s inhumane and counterproductive mass-deportation is unconstitutional and will fail.” State Senator Scott Wiener, D-San Francisco, also took to Twitter, vowing the state would fight the Trump administration’s immigration policies. “Sessions threatens sanctuary cities, slanders immigrants as `dangerous criminals,’ Wiener ?tweeted?. “He’s wrong and we will #resist.”

MORE (http://www.officer.com/news/12319899/doj-plans-to-block-grants-for-sanctuary-cities)

patrickt
03-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Keep in mind, liberals have no interest in Americans or what they want.

FindersKeepers
03-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Keep in mind, liberals have no interest in Americans or what they want.

80% is an awfully high percentage of Americans that don't want sanctuary cities. By and large, I think Americans want to be a nation of laws.

resister
03-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Yep, its official 20% of Americans are idiots who support letting criminals run free. As an American, I never got one pass.

FindersKeepers
03-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Yep, its official 20% of Americans are idiots who support letting criminals run free. As an American, I never got one pass.

Excellent point. If an American citizen doesn't get a pass for breaking a law, why should entire cities close ranks to protect non-citizens?

It really doesn't make any sense.

resister
03-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Excellent point. If an American citizen doesn't get a pass for breaking a law, why should entire cities close ranks to protect non-citizens?

It really doesn't make any sense.
Wonder how the idiots will feel when there cities citizens turn into minoritys and start seeing rampant crime rates.

FindersKeepers
03-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Wonder how the idiots will feel when there cities citizens turn into minoritys and start seeing rampant crime rates.

And, I can see that happening. California sheriffs signed a petition to try and stop the state from becoming a sanctuary state because they said it would prevent them from deporting dangerous criminals.

Like any crime-ridden area, those with the means to leave, will leave.

The Xl
03-28-2017, 10:42 AM
The will of the average American holds no water, it boils down to what the elites who are above the law want to do.

jigglepete
03-28-2017, 03:36 PM
We have a couple of sanctuary cities in Vermont, so, out of curiosity I looked around and found this neat map (link below). Click on the tags and it gives some very interesting stats about each tagged city. What stood out to me was the fact that there were no crimes listed in Vermont's sanctuary cities (so what exactly is the problem?). I plan on checking out some other areas because a couple of random checks had extensive lists of some pretty nasty crimes.

Here is the link if anyone cares...

http://cis.org/Sanctuary-Cities-Map

jimmyz
03-28-2017, 04:02 PM
"20%" of the people in America are of Latino descent so the ratios make sense.

Peter1469
03-28-2017, 05:10 PM
The will of the average American holds no water, it boils down to what the elites who are above the law want to do.

If that were true Hillary would be president.

The Xl
03-28-2017, 05:11 PM
If that were true Hillary would be president.
That's only because the opposition, for once, wasn't a complete globalist proxy.

Mechanic
03-28-2017, 05:25 PM
I think that sanctuary cities are a fine thing. I live in California and have many friends of different nationalities. i think the poll was done in a red state as my state is not regressive.

Chloe
03-30-2017, 06:59 PM
When things like sanctuary cities and illegal immigrants are being vilified every single day and blamed for the woes of the country nearly every single day by politicians and influential media talking heads eventually it's going to wear on the majority of citizens who aren't living in those cities. It's a shame in my opinion because there are much greater concerns in this country right now.

Common
03-30-2017, 07:26 PM
Sanctuary cities are a testament to how distorted and flawed liberal thinking is