PDA

View Full Version : Trump’s Foreign Policy Incoherence

Ethereal
04-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Trump’s Foreign Policy Incoherence (https://consortiumnews.com/2017/04/03/trumps-foreign-policy-incoherence/)

Exclusive: Powerful forces are arrayed against any significant changes that President Trump may try to make in foreign policy, a dilemma made worse by his own ineptness and staffing troubles, writes Robert Parry.

By Robert Parry

President Trump’s emerging foreign policy is one of contradictions and chaos, caught up in a combination of old establishment orthodoxies and some fresh recognition of reality but without any strong strategic thinker capable of separating one from the other and leading the administration in a thoughtful direction.

The examples of new thinking include abandoning President Obama’s fitful – and bloody – campaign to force “regime change” in Syria; accepting a more realistic solution to the political mess in Libya; and trying to cooperate with Russia on combating terrorism, such as the fight against Islamic State and Al Qaeda, and reducing international tensions, such as the ongoing crisis in Ukraine.

But Team Trump also is hobbled by its inability to break free from many of the groupthinks that have dominated Official Washington for the past quarter century or so as the foreign policy establishment fell under the domination of the neoconservatives and their junior partners, the liberal interventionists, virtually banishing the formerly influential “realists” as well as the few peace advocates.

This enduring neocon/liberal-hawk strength – reflected in what all the “important people” know to be true – has left senior Trump officials still pandering to the Saudis and the Israelis; repeating the neocon mantra that “Iran is the principal source of terrorism” (though that is clearly not true given the support for Al Qaeda and other Sunni terror groups coming from U.S. “allies” such as Saudi Arabia and Qatar); and falling into line with the NATO’s hype of Russia as the new global villain.

[...]

In spite of Trump's fresh thinking with regards to Russia and "regime change" schemes, he is still mired down in neocon groupthink pertaining to Iran, Israel, and Saudi Arabia. This unwillingness to reexamine such groupthink leaves him largely incapable of making real and lasting changes in the foreign policy realm. His administration bows before Israel and dutifully repeats the mantra "Iran is the biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world" while our nominal ally, Saudi Arabia, funds and arms a multitude of Sunni terrorist groups all over the world. This overall incoherence will hobble his administration and leave them at the mercy of the very neocons and liberal interventionists he sought to push aside. It's about time that Trump and his supporters started really thinking about the neocon narratives being pushed by DC politicians. It's time to open their minds to the possibility that Iran is not the devil, Israel is not an angel, and Saudi Arabia is about the closest thing to an enemy western civilization has.

Common
04-03-2017, 01:25 PM
I think that article is right on the money. The mixed message coming out of the WH along with the McCains and Grahams foriegn policy babbling and Rand Paul with his ideas its a big jumble

Ethereal
04-03-2017, 01:29 PM
I think that article is right on the money. The mixed message coming out of the WH along with the McCains and Grahams foriegn policy babbling and Rand Paul with his ideas its a big jumble

The problem is that while Trump is battling the McCains and Grahams on the Russian front, he is parroting them with regards to other important issues like Iran, Israel, and Saudi Arabia. He doesn't seem to realize that the neocon paradigm is a package deal and that it's characterized by all the same underlying assumptions and agendas. In other words, you cannot separate the neocon hatred for Iran from their desire to see Russia isolated and destabilized. It's all part of the same overarching strategy to bring the world under a unipolar, capitalist order.

Green Arrow
04-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Trump is showing us all exactly why electing a president with negative 9,000 political experience is a bad idea. He has no idea what he's doing.

Ethereal
04-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Trump is showing us all exactly why electing a president with negative 9,000 political experience is a bad idea. He has no idea what he's doing.
At least he got the Russia thing right, and that is arguably the most important issue facing the world. Stable relations between our countries is essential to preventing a potentially cataclysmic war.

Green Arrow
04-03-2017, 01:38 PM
At least he got the Russia thing right, and that is arguably the most important issue facing the world. Stable relations between our countries is essential to preventing a potentially cataclysmic war.

It remains to be seen whether or not he's got that part right. He hasn't actually DONE anything about Russia yet, and his statements have been very contradictory.

Ethereal
04-03-2017, 01:40 PM
It remains to be seen whether or not he's got that part right. He hasn't actually DONE anything about Russia yet, and his statements have been very contradictory.

Sure, but compared to what Hillary would have done...

Green Arrow
04-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Sure, but compared to what Hillary would have done...

We know exactly what Hillary would have done and it would have been awful. For all we know Trump may do the same thing.

Ethereal
04-03-2017, 01:47 PM
We know exactly what Hillary would have done and it would have been awful. For all we know Trump may do the same thing.
As Parry notes, he's taken the exact opposite approach in Syria that Hillary would have taken, which is a very good thing. Granted, he may not doing it with the kind of clarity and conviction we would like, but it's a million times better than what Hillary would have done. Where he really fails is on issues relating to Israel, Iran, and Saudi Arabia. His unwillingness to challenge or rethink those dogmas is going to muddy the waters and severely hobble his administration.

patrickt
04-03-2017, 01:51 PM
I know it's terrible he won't be best buddies with the Castros in Cuba, with Hamas, with Maduro in Venezuela, and won't be helping Iran get nuclear weapons. On the other hand, our allies who are used to being stabbed in the back and crapped on might be feeling a sense of relief. Just think, a president who isn't siding with the EU against Great Britain, isn't siding with everyone who is against Israel, and isn't whispering into an open mike to Russia, "I can be more flexible after I'm elected."

Ethereal
04-03-2017, 01:56 PM
I know it's terrible he won't be best buddies with the Castros in Cuba, with Hamas, with Maduro in Venezuela, and won't be helping Iran get nuclear weapons. On the other hand, our allies who are used to being stabbed in the back and crapped on might be feeling a sense of relief. Just think, a president who isn't siding with the EU against Great Britain, isn't siding with everyone who is against Israel, and isn't whispering into an open mike to Russia, "I can be more flexible after I'm elected."
Obama stabbed Israel in the back by pledging $38 billion to them over the next ten years. If only I could be on the receiving end of one of Obama's knives...

Common
04-03-2017, 01:59 PM

Neither did obama, the difference was Axelrod who picked his initial cabinet. Trump flawed badly in his choices

Peter1469
04-03-2017, 02:01 PM
His foreign policy speech last May was excellent. But the article is correct, that he is mired down by the old Neocon / liberal hawk forces.

In spite of Trump's fresh thinking with regards to Russia and "regime change" schemes, he is still mired down in neocon groupthink pertaining to Iran, Israel, and Saudi Arabia. This unwillingness to reexamine such groupthink leaves him largely incapable of making real and lasting changes in the foreign policy realm. His administration bows before Israel and dutifully repeats the mantra "Iran is the biggest state sponsor of terrorism in the world" while our nominal ally, Saudi Arabia, funds and arms a multitude of Sunni terrorist groups all over the world. This overall incoherence will hobble his administration and leave them at the mercy of the very neocons and liberal interventionists he sought to push aside. It's about time that Trump and his supporters started really thinking about the neocon narratives being pushed by DC politicians. It's time to open their minds to the possibility that Iran is not the devil, Israel is not an angel, and Saudi Arabia is about the closest thing to an enemy western civilization has.

patrickt
04-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Obama stabbed Israel in the back by pledging $38 billion to them over the next ten years. If only I could be on the receiving end of one of Obama's knives...

I realize Obama had unlimited funds to bring in illegal aliens without congressional approval but wasn't the money to Israel the responsibility of Congress? And, did you sleep through his alliance with Hamas and lack of support for Israel, America's ally is not his, in the U.N.

A fhalf-truth is a lie.

Tahuyaman
04-03-2017, 02:19 PM

There has not yet been a true defining moment to show us what Trump's foreign policy will consist of. People can speculate, but that's all it is, speculation. It might take him some time to find his stride in this area. I am confident in many of the people he has surrounded himself with.

Green Arrow
04-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Neither did obama, the difference was Axelrod who picked his initial cabinet. Trump flawed badly in his choices

That's an understatement.

Also, fun as the "but Obama" excuses are, Obama still had more political experience than Trump.

Green Arrow
04-03-2017, 02:34 PM
I realize Obama had unlimited funds to bring in illegal aliens without congressional approval but wasn't the money to Israel the responsibility of Congress? And, did you sleep through his alliance with Hamas and lack of support for Israel, America's ally is not his, in the U.N.

A fhalf-truth is a lie.

Trump is president now, patrick. Join us in the present.

Ethereal
04-03-2017, 04:18 PM

A fhalf-truth is a lie.
The $38 billion figure was proposed by the Obama administration in a memorandum of understanding. The executive provides a great deal of input towards foreign aid and is responsible for signing those appropriations into law. So if giving Israel the biggest foreign aid package in history is your idea of stabbing our "ally" in the back, I'd be curious to know what doing right by them looks like. I suppose we should be giving them $100 billion instead? Or pledging to defend them forever and to sacrifice as much blood and treasure as they demand? Please, tell me what Americans can do so that we may please Israel sufficiently. We wouldn't want to make Israel unhappy.