PDA

View Full Version : Tackling important issues....

Docthehun
04-07-2017, 06:16 AM
NOT!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/jeff-sessions-ordering-justice-department-224417577.html

Crepitus
04-07-2017, 07:24 AM
Well, that will make crime go up.

Docthehun
04-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Booming economy!

98,000 jobs created in March. Water in the gasoline?

NapRover
04-07-2017, 07:30 AM
The funeral business is booming!

https://www.google.com/amp/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/83D73C8A-1ACB-11E7-AE82-A1C914D9F1E4 (https://www.google.com/amp/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/83D73C8A-1ACB-11E7-AE82-A1C914D9F1E4)

MMC
04-07-2017, 07:56 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/83D73C8A-1ACB-11E7-AE82-A1C914D9F1E4 (https://www.google.com/amp/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/83D73C8A-1ACB-11E7-AE82-A1C914D9F1E4)

Gas prices are going up.

donttread
04-07-2017, 10:58 AM
NOT!

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/jeff-sessions-ordering-justice-department-224417577.html

LMFAO! Ending the prohibition of MJ would reduce violent crime and everyone knows that! When's the last time you saw a fight between two stoned dudes? The vast majority of deaths associated with MJ are over sales turf BECAUSE is illegal!
There is no science to back up MJ prohibition. NONE.

Hal Jordan
04-07-2017, 12:34 PM
Based on the states that have legalized it, the opposite is true.

Hal Jordan
04-07-2017, 12:40 PM
NOT!

Actually, it is an important issue for a number of reasons, including the economy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/debraborchardt/2017/02/22/marijuana-industry-projected-to-create-more-jobs-than-manufacturing-by-2020/#5026790a3fa9

Hal Jordan
04-07-2017, 12:40 PM

We're not talking about tobacco here.

NapRover
04-07-2017, 12:41 PM
Gas prices are going up.
yeah, I paid $2.59 in Chicago this week!!

NapRover
04-07-2017, 12:42 PM
We're talking smoking.

AeonPax
04-07-2017, 12:55 PM
`
`
I grow my own.

Scrounger
04-07-2017, 12:57 PM
I'm going to pretend I'm Donald Trump for a moment. Presume I'm a deal maker. Humor me for a moment. This what I'd do:

I would call in Mexico's president and lay it out for him. The United States is going to legalize pot. Legalization is inevitable. Mexico is going to match us man for man and dollar for dollar for border security. We're going to tax pot as it comes into the U.S. and Mexico will tax it as it leaves. Did you see what I just did?

We will have a well manned border with no need to shell out money for a nutty wall. We double the manpower at no cost and make a profit off the deal, so Trump gets to say he did better than keep his word. Mexico's president is incentivized to help patrol the border and everybody profits.

I might very well be a better deal maker than Trump.

Hal Jordan
04-07-2017, 03:38 PM
We're talking smoking.

And? Your article was all about tobacco. It doesn't apply here at all.

donttread
04-07-2017, 03:58 PM

Of course the opposite is true. For those of you who don't know much about weed, almost all the vuolense associated with it is over the rights to sales turf. Legalize it and that goes away. I think people feel that weed like alcohol increases the users tendency toward violense but that's not true. MJ works differently than alcohol .

donttread
04-07-2017, 04:00 PM
I'm going to pretend I'm Donald Trump for a moment. Presume I'm a deal maker. Humor me for a moment. This what I'd do:

I would call in Mexico's president and lay it out for him. The United States is going to legalize pot. Legalization is inevitable. Mexico is going to match us man for man and dollar for dollar for border security. We're going to tax pot as it comes into the U.S. and Mexico will tax it as it leaves. Did you see what I just did?

We will have a well manned border with no need to shell out money for a nutty wall. We double the manpower at no cost and make a profit off the deal, so Trump gets to say he did better than keep his word. Mexico's president is incentivized to help patrol the border and everybody profits.

I might very well be a better deal maker than Trump.

You do know we can grow pot here right? even the Canadians can grow it , eh.

Hal Jordan
04-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Of course the opposite is true. For those of you who don't know much about weed, almost all the vuolense associated with it is over the rights to sales turf. Legalize it and that goes away. I think people feel that weed like alcohol increases the users tendency toward violense but that's not true. MJ works differently than alcohol .
Well, I'd say crimes involved are more than just turf, but still nearly 100% because it's illegal. There is theft, because of price setting by dealers, who charge far more because of the illegality, etc. Violence is indeed almost all because of turf, though.

donttread
04-07-2017, 04:03 PM

450,000 plus Americans ie from tobacco use each year and 1/10th of them never even smoked! But because alcohol and tobacco lend themselves to megacorp production they are perfectly legal. The tobacco exec. has blood , or at least sputum , on his hands but sits on the school board. Booze helped put a president in office.

donttread
04-07-2017, 04:05 PM

How the hell can you possibly believe that? Who told you that? It's false.

Scrounger
04-07-2017, 05:35 PM
You do know we can grow pot here right? even the Canadians can grow it , eh.

Gee, really? We can? We can also grow fruits and vegetables, but next time you're in a grocery store, try calculating what percentage of your fruits and vegetables come from Mexico or some other country. Then back up and try again with that condescending tone.

Dude, I'm the ultimate deal maker on this. You have those guys obsessing over making the Hispanics stay on their side of the border. I'm giving you solutions. Here is a way to incentivize them to do it. Sure we can grow pot, but a nation of potheads are not motivated to do grunt work in the fields and you don't want to create a Guest Worker status for the foreigners. You look at an opportunity and see a problem. I looked at a problem and saw an opportunity.

Crepitus
04-07-2017, 05:50 PM

Crime went up when they legalized pot? Link please?

Crepitus
04-07-2017, 05:53 PM
How the hell can you possibly believe that? Who told you that? It's false.

Cracking down on the legal pot trade in the places where it is will drive it back underground , increasing the crime rate.

Don
04-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Gee, really? We can? We can also grow fruits and vegetables, but next time you're in a grocery store, try calculating what percentage of your fruits and vegetables come from Mexico or some other country. Then back up and try again with that condescending tone.

Dude, I'm the ultimate deal maker on this. You have those guys obsessing over making the Hispanics stay on their side of the border. I'm giving you solutions. Here is a way to incentivize them to do it. Sure we can grow pot, but a nation of potheads are not motivated to do grunt work in the fields and you don't want to create a Guest Worker status for the foreigners. You look at an opportunity and see a problem. I looked at a problem and saw an opportunity.

We only want to keep the illegal aliens and criminals and their hard drugs (and crappy marijuana) on "their side" of the border. Once that happens we can talk about a guest worker program. Mexico needs to take responsibility for whatever reasons their poor families have to cross a line in the dirt to get a chance at opportunities that Mexico should have and doesn't. Colorado is having no problem at all in growing quality marijuana without Mexican field workers and they are producing so much that its driving the prices down. It won't be long before the prices will be on par with when it was illegal and that includes the taxes associated with it. Its always high quality and the people there don't have to deal with criminals.

Tahuyaman
04-07-2017, 06:13 PM
NOT!

You don't believe this is an important issue?

Hal Jordan
04-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Crime went up when they legalized pot? Link please?
No, crime went down.

Coming to you from the depths of inner space.

Docthehun
04-07-2017, 06:39 PM

Frankly, no.

Crepitus
04-07-2017, 07:01 PM
No, crime went down.

Thats what I thought, also what I was trying to say.

Cthulhu
04-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Lol. Anything they can grow in Mexico we could grow in Alaska - in a hydroponic greenhouse.

Threatening us with vegetables is laughable.

Fear profits a man nothing.

Scrounger
04-07-2017, 07:19 PM
We only want to keep the illegal aliens and criminals and their hard drugs (and crappy marijuana) on "their side" of the border. Once that happens we can talk about a guest worker program. Mexico needs to take responsibility for whatever reasons their poor families have to cross a line in the dirt to get a chance at opportunities that Mexico should have and doesn't. Colorado is having no problem at all in growing quality marijuana without Mexican field workers and they are producing so much that its driving the prices down. It won't be long before the prices will be on par with when it was illegal and that includes the taxes associated with it. Its always high quality and the people there don't have to deal with criminals.
This is NOT about illegal immigration per se. That subject is over. Those who want to parrot the talking points of the pioneers of that B.S. were called out and came up short.

We "could" do a lot of things; however, we don't. The anti-immigrant lobby talks a lot of we, we, we crap and then denies that the effort doesn't even exist. They are a funny lot, indeed.

Where I live, the conservative state of Georgia just okayed marijuana for medicinal purposes. No matter when it gets legalized, the American people cannot grow it in sufficient quantities to meet the demand for it. The anti-immigrants don't want foreigners here and the POLICE STATE advocates are stuck on stupid as they seek to spend TRILLIONS upon TRILLIONS of tax dollars on B.S. "solutions" (as if regression is a solution) that don't solve a damn thing. Mexico and those countries south of there will be able to grow it and sell it a much lower price because the POLICE STATE advocates have a voracious appetite for money - translated... higher taxes.

Reality says you can take your pick: Mexican marijuana OR Guest Workers.

Scrounger
04-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Lol. Anything they can grow in Mexico we could grow in Alaska - in a hydroponic greenhouse.

Threatening us with vegetables is laughable.

If you want to participate in this discussion, you need to be at least 13. I expect that, beyond that, you do not attempt to troll your fellow posters.

NOBODY threatened you with a damn thing. We're talking reality here. If you go shopping at a grocery store this week-end, check out what percentage of your haul was grown in a foreign country. Sure, we "could" grow stuff in this country. But, we don't. You weren't even aware of what percentage of your food is grown outside the U.S. until I mentioned it.

The problem is the POLICE STATE advocates want a bigger and more intrusive government... which means more regulations for business (i.e. telling them who they can and cannot hire minimum wages, benefits, etc) and that translates into higher taxes, which - in turn, discourages entrepreneurs from engaging in the growing of pot. POLICE STATE advocates have run the small farmers out of business in the U.S. with their higher taxes and increasing regulations.

You and your immature response is almost laughable, except that I don't find being uninformed to be very humorous, especially when you're attempting to denigrate fellow posters.

resister
04-07-2017, 07:48 PM
This is NOT about illegal immigration per se. That subject is over. Those who want to parrot the talking points of the pioneers of that B.S. were called out and came up short.

We "could" do a lot of things; however, we don't. The anti-immigrant lobby talks a lot of we, we, we crap and then denies that the effort doesn't even exist. They are a funny lot, indeed.

Where I live, the conservative state of Georgia just okayed marijuana for medicinal purposes. No matter when it gets legalized, the American people cannot grow it in sufficient quantities to meet the demand for it. The anti-immigrants don't want foreigners here and the POLICE STATE advocates are stuck on stupid as they seek to spend TRILLIONS upon TRILLIONS of tax dollars on B.S. "solutions" (as if regression is a solution) that don't solve a damn thing. Mexico and those countries south of there will be able to grow it and sell it a much lower price because the POLICE STATE advocates have a voracious appetite for money - translated... higher taxes.

Reality says you can take your pick: Mexican marijuana OR Guest Workers.
You actually think americans cant grow enough pot meet domestic consumption? You make some good logical arguments sometimes, but that one is ludicrous beyond belief Scrounger! LOL!

Cthulhu
04-07-2017, 07:50 PM
If you want to participate in this discussion, you need to be at least 13. I expect that, beyond that, you do not attempt to troll your fellow posters.

Lovely.

NOBODY threatened you with a damn thing. We're talking reality here. If you go shopping at a grocery store this week-end, check out what percentage of your haul was grown in a foreign country. Sure, we "could" grow stuff in this country. But, we don't. You weren't even aware of what percentage of your food is grown outside the U.S. until I mentioned it.

Dude I work with two Mexicans from Mexico, we talk about this very topic somewhat regularly. Frankly they have a better diet than we do. Don't assume ignorance. That itself is ignorant.

The problem is the POLICE STATE advocates want a bigger and more intrusive government... which means more regulations for business (i.e. telling them who they can and cannot hire minimum wages, benefits, etc) and that translates into higher taxes, which - in turn, discourages entrepreneurs from engaging in the growing of pot. POLICE STATE advocates have run the small farmers out of business in the U.S. with their higher taxes and increasing regulations.

As hard as it may seem to believe, we're on the same side.

You and your immature response is almost laughable, except that I don't find being uninformed to be very humorous, especially when you're attempting to denigrate fellow posters.

Get over yourself. Nobody tried to denigrate you.

Tahuyaman
04-07-2017, 11:08 PM
NOT!

Frankly, no.

It is an important issue. We have more and more states not only challenging federal law, but disregarding them. How the federal government responds to this is something which people should take seriously.

Hal Jordan
04-07-2017, 11:37 PM
It is an important issue. We have more and more states not only challenging federal law, but disregarding them. How the federal government responds to this is something which people should take seriously.
Constitutionally, they shouldn't do anything regarding it. The federal government has no right in that regard.

Hal Jordan
04-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Thats what I thought, also what I was trying to say.

Okay, so just a misunderstanding then. I'm glad we're actually on the same page here.

Tahuyaman
04-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Constitutionally, they shouldn't do anything regarding it. The federal government has no right in that regard.

The federal government does have the authority in some areas and it doesn't in others. Ultimately It might need to be decided by the Supreme Court. This is why it's an issue more important than just marijuana laws.

The US Constitution places definite limits on the power of the federal government. Other issues are the business of the individual stares. This is why the Supreme Court needs to be filled with justices who respect those restraints and ensures government abides by those constitutional limits.

donttread
04-08-2017, 07:35 AM

Now we are. Tobacco is the deadliest drug on the planet by far. But , it's megacorp owned and operated and that puke Bohner can give out tobacco money in the halls of congress. So it's all good, right?

donttread
04-08-2017, 07:41 AM
The federal government does have the authority in some areas and it doesn't in others. Ultimately It might need to be decided by the Supreme Court. This is why it's an issue more important than just marijuana laws.

The US Constitution places definite limits on the power of the federal government. Other issues are the business of the individual stares. This is why the Supreme Court needs to be filled with justices who respect those restraints and ensures government abides by those constitutional limits.

Lets be clear. The federal government has absolutely no authority over drug policy within the states. None. They simply usuruped that authority while everyone was watching TV and "keeping up with the Jones". The feds have unconstitutionally wormed their way into, for example health ,education , welfare, arts endoments to name a few. See the Constitution. Read it. It actually list the feds duties/ rights plain as day.

donttread
04-08-2017, 07:45 AM
You actually think americans cant grow enough pot meet domestic consumption? You make some good logical arguments sometimes, but that one is ludicrous beyond belief Scrounger! LOL!

Sure we can, cash crops take over food crop land because they are more profitable. Hell at one time we pretty much supplied the world with tobacco , which requires a hell of a lot more land that supplying ourselves with pot.
The only problem might be NOT becoming dependent on foreign food. We've been dumb enough to become dependent on foreign oil . However, I really don't think it would take that much land to supply our own weed.

donttread
04-08-2017, 07:47 AM
To get back to the OPdo any of you actually believe that stricter enforcement of pot laws would save lives? Do any of you really believe that hype? If so how exactly would that work when the vast majority of pot related deaths are murders over illegal sales turf?

Tahuyaman
04-08-2017, 09:08 AM
Who says they're looking at stricter enforcement?

Crepitus
04-08-2017, 09:21 AM
Sure we can, cash crops take over food crop land because they are more profitable. Hell at one time we pretty much supplied the world with tobacco , which requires a hell of a lot more land that supplying ourselves with pot.
The only problem might be NOT becoming dependent on foreign food. We've been dumb enough to become dependent on foreign oil . However, I really don't think it would take that much land to supply our own weed.

Stop subsidizing corn for crap it really doesn't do well and poof! there is plenty of extra land.

Crepitus
04-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Sessions has been talking about federally crashing the states with legal pot all along. I seriously doubt that isn't what he's talking about.

Why do you feel the need to defend the Trumpkins at every turn?

Tahuyaman
04-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Sessions has been talking about federally crashing the states with legal pot all along. I seriously doubt that isn't what he's talking about.

How did my comment express support for Trumpkins?

Crepitus
04-08-2017, 09:32 AM
How did my comment express support for Trumpkins?

Well, I suppose you question can be looked at in one of two ways.

Either it is support for the trumpkin, or total ignorance of those topics being discussed.

Which one is it?

Tahuyaman
04-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Well, who says they are looking at stricter enforcement? Maybe the recent actions from the various states are causing them to re-think their position on this issue?

donttread
04-08-2017, 10:10 AM

Based upon ALL data the opposite is true.

donttread
04-08-2017, 10:11 AM
Well, who says they are looking at stricter enforcement? Maybe the recent actions from the various states are causing them to re-think their position on this issue?

I believe the article alluded to Sesions not being comfortable with full legalization.

donttread
04-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Well, I'd say crimes involved are more than just turf, but still nearly 100% because it's illegal. There is theft, because of price setting by dealers, who charge far more because of the illegality, etc. Violence is indeed almost all because of turf, though.

Well put. People don't realizes the pharmachological differents between drugs. Many think that just because alcohol increases tendencies towards violence so must all other drugs. Which is of course not true.

Scrounger
04-08-2017, 01:04 PM

We "could," but we don't. Again, dude, how come a LOT of the produce you buy in grocery stores comes from foreign countries? Let me give you an example.

In Georgia we can grow peanuts by the millions per acre of land. I went to Costco and they had fifty pound bags of peanuts GROWN IN MEXICO... selling in Georgia !!! WTH??? Why didn't we grow them?

Reality check: Places like Monsanto and the big growers have made it damn near impossible for small farmers to plant anything. the a**wipes keep filing lawsuits alleging that cross pollination occurs and threatens Monsanto's GMO crops. So, the big guys can grow patented food they control and we cannot grow on smaller plots because it threatens Monsanto's patents on GMO foods.

Yeah, cut the regulations and the protections for mega corporations and we "could" grow what we need and use, but it ain't happening. That, resister, is reality.

Scrounger
04-08-2017, 01:08 PM
Lovely.

Dude I work with two Mexicans from Mexico, we talk about this very topic somewhat regularly. Frankly they have a better diet than we do. Don't assume ignorance. That itself is ignorant.

As hard as it may seem to believe, we're on the same side.

Get over yourself. Nobody tried to denigrate you.

You think bass ackwards. You make my point and then try to denigrate me even more.

resister
04-08-2017, 01:09 PM
We "could," but we don't. Again, dude, how come a LOT of the produce you buy in grocery stores comes from foreign countries? Let me give you an example.

In Georgia we can grow peanuts by the millions per acre of land. I went to Costco and they had fifty pound bags of peanuts GROWN IN MEXICO... selling in Georgia !!! WTH??? Why didn't we grow them?

Reality check: Places like Monsanto and the big growers have made it damn near impossible for small farmers to plant anything. the a**wipes keep filing lawsuits alleging that cross pollination occurs and threatens Monsanto's GMO crops. So, the big guys can grow patented food they control and we cannot grow on smaller plots because it threatens Monsanto's patents on GMO foods.

Yeah, cut the regulations and the protections for mega corporations and we "could" grow what we need and use, but it ain't happening. That, resister, is reality.
All valid points, but I would bet the majority of weed consumed in this country is illicitly grown here. Is a lot imported? Sure, but probably not like years gone by. Look how many horticulture supply houses cater to pot growers.

Tahuyaman
04-08-2017, 02:52 PM
I believe the article alluded to Sesions not being comfortable with full legalization.

The article left it open to your individual interpretation. I would not be surprised to see the Feds go either way on this one.

Cthulhu
04-08-2017, 02:58 PM
You think bass ackwards. You make my point and then try to denigrate me even more.
If you want an imaginary victory, it's all yours.

Until then be a tad more respectful.

jigglepete
04-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Meanwhile, back on the (pot) farm, those evil hose bags at Monsanto are quietly in the process of trying to buy up the entire indoor gardening industry (and they are doing a fucking bang-up job so far), thus, eliminating the competition...which is good for them, not so good for their lawyers...

NapRover
04-08-2017, 03:54 PM
And? Your article was all about tobacco. It doesn't apply here at all.
Of course it does.
Posted wrong link.
There are some rather negative effects from smoking-both tobacco and pot.
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana

Scrounger
04-08-2017, 09:05 PM
If you want an imaginary victory, it's all yours.

Until then be a tad more respectful.

I didn't start with the disrespect.

Scrounger
04-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Meanwhile, back on the (pot) farm, those evil hose bags at Monsanto are quietly in the process of trying to buy up the entire indoor gardening industry (and they are doing a $#@!ing bang-up job so far), thus, eliminating the competition...which is good for them, not so good for their lawyers...

That is not a good thing.

resister
04-08-2017, 09:10 PM
That is not a good thing.
How do you feel about post 52 Scrounger?

Casper
04-08-2017, 11:10 PM
NOT!

Important issues or those meant to distract us from looking too close at reality?

Scrounger
04-08-2017, 11:19 PM
How do you feel about post 52 Scrounger?

I do not have any facts that prove or disprove the point. I refuse to pay for tv so all I get is antenna tv. ONE of the programs we get is Border Wars. On a daily basis they catch people trying to smuggle drugs into the U.S.

The last novel way was to use the center of the car's gas tank with a portion welded to hold a few gallons of gasoline. For every smuggler they catch, one wonders how much pot gets across the border.

So, do we have the potential to grow pot in America? The answer is yes. Will we do it? In all seriousness, let us be realistic. There are fewer than a dozen companies in the United States that sell heirloom seeds. Without heirloom seeds, we are beholden to a few major corporations to sell us fruits and vegetables. We do NOTHING to protect our food supply. NOTHING! If we are not willing to protect our food supply, what makes you think pot growers would try to protect you from having to buy pot from mega corporations with a monopoly on pot growing? And, that being the case, consumers will continue to buy from foreign sources who will supply pot for a cheaper price?

Pot is no different than any other commodity on the face of the earth. People will buy from the cheapest source... just like you do everything else, including food.

Dr. Who
04-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Stop subsidizing corn for crap it really doesn't do well and poof! there is plenty of extra land.
Corn is probably the least nutritional crop raised in America. It is basically a sugar and starch crop. Farmers feed it to livestock to fatten them up quickly and people eat it relentlessly because they are addicted to sugars and starches and fatten themselves up quickly.

donttread
04-09-2017, 06:33 AM

The article alluded to it. But hopefully you're right and they are looking at the opposite. I would imagine that megacorp banks are chopping at the bit to get in on the action and applying pressure

donttread
04-09-2017, 06:35 AM

But , but, but Monsanto can't patent pot seed . Too many strains . What's a poor , industry controlling megacorp to do?

donttread
04-09-2017, 06:36 AM

Let's hope the states stand strong. The feds aren't going to shoot the State Police on the 6 O'clock news.

donttread
04-09-2017, 06:39 AM
All valid points, but I would bet the majority of weed consumed in this country is illicitly grown here. Is a lot imported? Sure, but probably not like years gone by. Look how many horticulture supply houses cater to pot growers.

The key is to never again allow ourselves to become dependent on other nations for daily staples , which can include drugs as it once did with opium .

donttread
04-09-2017, 06:42 AM
Corn is probably the least nutritional crop raised in America. It is basically a sugar and starch crop. Farmers feed it to livestock to fatten them up quickly and people eat it relentlessly because they are addicted to sugars and starches and fatten themselves up quickly.

This is where the Omega inbalance comes from as just one small example of the effecrt on our nutrition.

donttread
04-09-2017, 06:46 AM
The real question is who will pay more? Big pharma, alcohol etc to keep pot illegal? Or the banks, the MJ growers and Monsanto to end federal prohibition?
Letting the bidding war begin. Hey, don't roll your eyes at your key board this is the system donkephant loyalty has created.

Crepitus
04-09-2017, 08:57 AM
But , but, but Monsanto can't patent pot seed . Too many strains . What's a poor , industry controlling megacorp to do?

They will figure out a way, and that will be the one the big commercial growers (you know its gonna happen) plant.

donttread
04-09-2017, 03:01 PM
They will figure out a way, and that will be the one the big commercial growers (you know its gonna happen) plant.

Well it's like this. If we let the megacorps take over pot they WILL make it physically addictive as they have deliberately made tobacco even more addictive that it is in it's natural state. The simplest way would be to add nicotine and since they already own the FDA no one would be the wiser until it was too late.
Or we could take a damn stand for the small producers.

patrickt
04-09-2017, 07:53 PM
For stoners, dope is the only important issue. Taxes, blah. Immigration, blah. Crime, blah. Jobs, blah, Liberal violence, blah? Dope, yeh.

Of course, if you stay stoned, none of that other matters as long as someone supports you.

Hal Jordan
04-09-2017, 08:17 PM
For stoners, dope is the only important issue. Taxes, blah. Immigration, blah. Crime, blah. Jobs, blah, Liberal violence, blah? Dope, yeh.

Of course, if you stay stoned, none of that other matters as long as someone supports you.

For those that love false narratives, nothing matters other than categorizing all pro-legalization people as stoners that only care about a single issue. Doesn't matter that it's a blatant lie.

Tahuyaman
04-09-2017, 10:31 PM

Marijuana in and of itself isn't what makes this an important issue. It's an issue of states rights and whether or not we are going to honor our supposed tradition of federalism.

jigglepete
04-13-2017, 03:29 PM

Absolutely ridiculous. Taxes? Look what is being generated to legal states. Immigration? What does that have to do with this topic? Crime? Check the (real) stats in legal states/countries, goin down broski. Jobs? Are you not seeing the next growth industry (hundreds now, thousands later) it's right in front of you. Liberal violence? WTF?

Dope? Fuck yeah.

Bethere
04-15-2017, 12:24 AM

Seriously, we look down on imported pot. It's a whole different thing than domestic. It's like comparing Miller beer with Chevas Regal.

Hal Jordan
04-15-2017, 01:41 AM
Seriously, we look down on imported pot. It's a whole different thing than domestic. It's like comparing Miller beer with Chevas Regal.
Should we look down on pot at all? Alcohol is much worse, and I say that though I use alcohol regularly.

Coming to you from the depths of inner space

donttread
04-15-2017, 04:59 AM

MJ prohibition kills, grows the government and cost billions we don't even have. Any true fiscal conservative should be, lamost by definition, pro legalization. Especially has they sip on their Martini and smoke a cigar.

OGIS
04-15-2017, 09:02 AM

I think he was being sarcastic.

OGIS
04-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Actually, it is an important issue for a number of reasons, including the economy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/debraborchardt/2017/02/22/marijuana-industry-projected-to-create-more-jobs-than-manufacturing-by-2020/#5026790a3fa9

Aside from the non-medical commercial possibilities, the potential of the medical cannabis market is simply staggering. Why? The presence of both cannabinoids and terpenes.

These are important because most of our medicines have traditionally come from the unique chemicals found in plants. Probably the most familiar example is aspirin, which was originally derived from willow bark. There are at least 130 cannabinoids and 140 terpenes in marijuana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid

https://www.medicaljane.com/category/cannabis-classroom/terpenes/#introduction-to-terpenes

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/infographic-what-are-cannabis-terpenes-and-how-do-they-affect-you

These vary by strain (of which there are now more than 2,260).

https://www.leafly.com/explore

Furthermore, cannabinoids:
(1) apparently occur nowhere else in nature, and
(2) are very close in chemical structure to the natural endocannabinoids produced by our own bodies.
(which is why weed effects us, duh!).

And both cannabinoids and terpenes apparently work together synergistically (showing effects not found when used in isolation).

The permutation combinations of 130 cannabinoids and 140 terpenes is a very, very large number - large enough to keep research cranking along for probably a century.

http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/combinations-permutations.aspx

Set n to 270. Set sample points to 1. Then 2. Then 3..... Then 270. Add them all up. BIG number.

And then, of course, are the relative quantities of each substance.

Better make that 10 centuries.

This is a market that is literally worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Why? The endocannabinoid system controls or affects most of our body.

...the ECS is involved in a variety of physiological processes including appetite (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appetite), pain-sensation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nociception), mood (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mood_(psychology)), and memory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory), and in mediating the psychoactive effects of cannabis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)).[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system#cite_note-2) The ECS is also involved in voluntary exercise[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system#cite_note-3) and may be related to the evolution of the runner's high (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise#Eupho ria) in human beings and related aspects of motivation or reward for locomotor activity in other animals.[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system#cite_note-4)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system

And Israel, Great Britain, and Canada are grabbing that R&D ball and running with it. The US is going to LOSE patents to the countries that allow the research.

Which means that an important number of future medicines that Americans will be using will be produced in other countries, with those other countries, rather than the USA, profiting.

donttread
04-15-2017, 11:34 AM

In one sense we are. Drugs markets are intertwined and interdependent to an extent. Tobacco might see legal MJ as a threat but more likely they might see as a benefit to encourage one kind of smoking with another. An yes their is a positive, serious correlation. And alcohol and big pharma definitely see MJ as a threat.
So somewhere legal drug dealers are pressing politicians not to legalize MJ. So again logic and fairness have nothing to do with our government's policy. A guy that sells pot for his own head is a "dealer" to be arested and jailed. A guy who seels booze and cigarettes is likly to e on the Town or School Board despite alcohol being more dangerous drug pharmacologially .

Hal Jordan
04-15-2017, 12:38 PM
I think he was being sarcastic.
The misunderstanding was addressed and we're on the same page.

Hal Jordan
04-15-2017, 12:40 PM
In one sense we are. Drugs markets are intertwined and interdependent to an extent. Tobacco might see legal MJ as a threat but more likely they might see as a benefit to encourage one kind of smoking with another. An yes their is a positive, serious correlation. And alcohol and big pharma definitely see MJ as a threat.
So somewhere legal drug dealers are pressing politicians not to legalize MJ. So again logic and fairness have nothing to do with our government's policy. A guy that sells pot for his own head is a "dealer" to be arested and jailed. A guy who seels booze and cigarettes is likly to e on the Town or School Board despite alcohol being more dangerous drug pharmacologially .
While that's certainly true, what I was responding to was his post about the dangers of tobacco, which is not relevant.

Tahuyaman
04-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Comparing marijuana to alcohol and tobacco is not an effective strategy when advocating legalization.

OGIS
04-15-2017, 01:35 PM

There is a hydroponics supply house that has been operating in Garden Grove for many many years. The story I heard (from an ex-GG city councilman) is that they started out as a legitimate hydro supplier (for starter plants) for some of the nurseries in Orange County, as well as urban Japanese farms in the Cerritos/Cypress area. They were modestly successful for many years. But they and their customers got raided so many times by clueless cops that it finally occurred to someone in charge that there was really good money in selling to pot growers. They are now quite successful. The police seem to have given up because of the legal issues and also because there are too many customers and not enough police to watch/raid them all.

AS with much else related to pot, I am reminded of the Star Wars scene where Princess Leah tells Tarkin that the harder he tries to grip the worlds, the more will slip through his fingers. The explosion in the number of strains, the increases in THC content, and the knowledge asset of a pool of self-taught geneticists are all due to the repression attempts. Unintended consequences, indeed.

OGIS
04-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Comparing marijuana to alcohol and tobacco is not an effective strategy when advocating legalization.

Seems to be working just fine, so far.

OGIS
04-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Stoner Sterotype Clueless Alert!

http://www.attn.com/stories/3922/offensive-stoner-stereotypes

Oh, and Bill Gates, George Clooney, Lady Gaga, Steve Jobs, and Carl Sagan (among many others) would like a word.
https://matadornetwork.com/nights/41-successful-stoners-time/

Tahuyaman
04-15-2017, 02:09 PM
Seems to be working just fine, so far.

Where?

That wasn't the strategy in Washington or Colorado.

If that strategy was working just fine it would have happened more than a decade ago.

OGIS
04-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Where?

That wasn't the strategy in Washington or Colorado.

If that strategy was working just fine it would have happened more than a decade ago.

Can't speak to CO or WA, but it has been a major talking point here in CA.

Tell us why it won't work. Please be specific.

Tahuyaman
04-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Can't speak to CO or WA, but it has been a major talking point here in CA.

Tell us why it won't work. Please be specific.. You need to address the issue of individual
liberty and the complete failure of drug policy.

donttread
04-15-2017, 03:16 PM
While that's certainly true, what I was responding to was his post about the dangers of tobacco, which is not relevant.

Besides that hopefully anyone not living a rock already knows that tobacco is the deadliest, most addictive drug on the planet. But it's megacorp friendly so it's all good. Over a billion customers world wide and killing nearly half a million Americans each year

OGIS
04-15-2017, 03:17 PM
. You need to address the issue of individual

Those are being addressed... along with the comparisons to tobacco and alcohol.

IOW: 17862

donttread
04-15-2017, 03:33 PM

True but it is a great one for pointing out hypocrisy and the fact that the feds don't ban megacorp connected drugs

donttread
04-15-2017, 03:35 PM
. You need to address the issue of individual

Both of which would be obviuos to an informed public. We could really use one of those.

Tahuyaman
04-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Ok. You keep doing it your way....

Tahuyaman
04-15-2017, 04:15 PM
True but it is a great one for pointing out hypocrisy and the fact that the feds don't ban megacorp connected drugs
Which still isn't going to get you where you want to go.

Tahuyaman
04-15-2017, 04:21 PM
The alcohol and tobacco comparisons are not relative to the issue of legalizing marijuana and other currently illegal substances.

Trying to use it to point out hypocrisy in government in the belief that will make in impact is a non starter.

Docthehun
04-20-2017, 04:22 PM
At least the police are taking Jeff seriously...........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/minnesota-police-department-fun-stoners-420-163354811.html