PDA

View Full Version : Science question for the techies on the forum

OGIS
04-09-2017, 08:04 AM
I've been looking for two days to find some stats on weapons technology. Maybe my Googlefu is lacking and I'm just not framing the question right. So I don't know if anyone here has this info or knows just how to frame the google question to find it, but thought I'd ask:

What the hell is the PSI "punch-through" force at the point of impact/detonation of a tactical nuclear warhead of "x" kilotons (the type you would mount on a air-to-air missile)?

Also need the same data for conventional explosives (such as would normally be on the Sidewinder).

Same data for kinetic kill weapons is also desired (but probably still highly classified).

All I can find are various sources describing the blast effects at various distances far from the detonation point. I am looking for data on the PSI exerted on the skin of the target at the point of the impact.

I want to allow the Earth forces to have somewhat of a fighting chance against our alien invader. (Think Independence Day without the force fields around each of the alien ships.)

Crepitus
04-09-2017, 09:27 AM
If we have nukes that small I am unaware of them.

Sidewinders do not impact the aircraft, they explode in close proximity and throw fragments. You would need the speed and weight of the fragment to calculate the kinetic energy.

For KEW it's just Mass times Velocity. your basic bullet BTW is a KEW.

If you want a weapon the is a point impact and explosion look into rocket propelled grenades (RPGs). They are a shaped charge warhead with a self forging copper fragment on a small rocket. I would assume the formula is the same Mass times Velocity of the fragment.

Don
04-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Unguided air to air missile from the 1950's with 1.5 kt warhead.

https://youtu.be/1VZ7FQHTaR4