PDA

View Full Version : Big Dem Win in Georgia Didn't Happen

hanger4
04-19-2017, 05:40 AM
Jon Ossoff, a Democrat, and Karen Handel, a Republican, advanced to a June 20 runoff in the special election for the U.S. House seat vacated by Tom Price, the new health and human services secretary.

CANDIDATE PARTY VOTES PCT.
Jon Ossoff Dem. 92,390 48.1%

Karen Handel Rep. 37,993 19.8

Should be an interesting race.

Sorry all I forgot the link;

http://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/georgia-house-special-election-district-6

Common
04-19-2017, 05:46 AM
Yep the trump slayer fizzled

Green Arrow
04-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Yep the trump slayer fizzled

Fizzled? He missed an outright win by only two points and was 28 points ahead of his closest opponent. That's not fizzling.

Common
04-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Fizzled? He missed an outright win by only two points and was 28 points ahead of his closest opponent. That's not fizzling.
You missed the point once again, the democrats were predicting a big win and calling him the trump slayer.
They put huge amount of resources into him sending a strong message

resister
04-19-2017, 07:12 AM
Fizzled? He missed an outright win by only two points and was 28 points ahead of his closest opponent. That's not fizzling.Did he win?

hanger4
04-19-2017, 07:48 AM

Twas an 18 candidate primary, Dem - 6, Repub - 11 and 1 independent. With the other Dems added in Ossoff still didn't garner 49%. Should be an expensive House seat with all the outside money pouring in.

Captain Obvious
04-19-2017, 08:12 AM
but... but...

...but they came close... That counts in Snowflaketopia

:biglaugh:

Green Arrow
04-19-2017, 08:29 AM
but... but...

...but they came close... That counts in Snowflaketopia

:biglaugh:

The race isn't over yet.

Adelaide
04-19-2017, 08:56 AM
This district has been held by Republicans for decades, so the fact that a Democrat got even within striking distance should scare Republicans.

hanger4
04-19-2017, 09:07 AM
This district has been held by Republicans for decades, so the fact that a Democrat got even within striking distance should scare Republicans.

The fact that Ossoff outspent the 11 Repubs combined and still not reach 49% Should scare the Democrats.

Green Arrow
04-19-2017, 10:03 AM
The fact that Ossoff outspent the 11 Repubs combined and still not reach 49% Should scare the Democrats.

Not in a district that has been Republican since 1979, where the previous office holder (Republican) won 62% of the vote.

del
04-19-2017, 05:36 PM
the only place i saw this guy referred to as a trump slayer was on sludge.

decedent
04-19-2017, 05:48 PM
You missed the point once again, the democrats were predicting a big win and calling him the trump slayer.
They put huge amount of resources into him sending a strong message

Translation: Republicans are saying that Democrats called him the "Trump Slayer".

This is just a local election but the numbers are impressive considering the area. I have a feeling this will be a pattern as Trump breaks more promises and runs out of media deflections.

Green Arrow
04-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Translation: Republicans are saying that Democrats called him the "Trump Slayer".

This is just a local election but the numbers are impressive considering the area. I have a feeling this will be a pattern as Trump breaks more promises and runs out of media deflections.

It's a U.S. House election, not a local election.

decedent
04-19-2017, 05:55 PM
It's a U.S. House election, not a local election.

Thanks. I meant 'state' but I'm not going to edit my post, but I should have put 'federal'. I am confused.

hanger4
04-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Not in a district that has been Republican since 1979, where the previous office holder (Republican) won 62% of the vote.

True, well liked incumbents get that type of support. Keep in mind Repub candidates tallied more votes the Dems and unaffiliates combined.

Safety
04-19-2017, 09:14 PM
The hard right sure knows how to try and spin stuff.

Peter1469
04-19-2017, 09:16 PM
Are we making up a term hard right to replace the Alt-right?

Someone has to make new terms I guess.

del
04-19-2017, 09:17 PM

relax, you're doing fine.

Safety
04-19-2017, 09:47 PM

Hard right, alt-right, RWNJ...it's all interchangeable. :grin:

tomato, tomahtoe.

resister
04-19-2017, 09:58 PM
17924Poor hard left SJW....:cry: lol...fukkin flakes..:laugh:

hanger4
04-19-2017, 10:17 PM
The hard right sure knows how to try and spin stuff.

What spin Safety ??

The Repubs tallied more votes then the Dems and unaffiliated and Ossoff raised over 8mil (mostly out of state) to around 900K for the top two of 11 Repubs in the primary and still only got 48%. Again what spin ??

Safety
04-19-2017, 10:18 PM
What spin Safety ??

The Repubs tallied more votes then the Dems and unaffiliated and Ossoff raised over 8mil (mostly out of state) to around 900K for the top two of 11 Repubs in the primary and still only got 48%. Again what spin ??

What does the amount of money have to do with the election results?

hanger4
04-19-2017, 10:27 PM

It obviously didn't help the Dems.

resister
04-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Ask Clinton..

Safety
04-19-2017, 10:29 PM
It obviously didn't help the Dems.

Ok, but you brought it up, so I'll ask again...what does the amount of money spent have to do with the election?

hanger4
04-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Ok, but you brought it up, so I'll ask again...what does the amount of money spent have to do with the election?

And I'll ask again "What spin Safety" ??

resister
04-19-2017, 10:34 PM
Ok, but you brought it up, so I'll ask again...what does the amount of money spent have to do with the election?These days? Not much....ask Hillary! lol!

Cletus
04-19-2017, 10:39 PM

The Republican field was split 11 ways.

Now, they will unify behind a single candidate. The Democrat should just concede now and save himself the embarrassment of being soundly defeated in the runoff.

Safety
04-19-2017, 10:41 PM
And I'll ask again "What spin Safety" ??

Why won't you answer my question? You mentioned the amount of money spent, so I would like to know why you think it was worth mentioning.

del
04-19-2017, 10:42 PM
Why won't you answer my question? You mentioned the amount of money spent, so I would like to know why you think it was worth mentioning.
you should go with two question marks.

it's powerful stuff

hanger4
04-19-2017, 10:47 PM

I ask what spin, you're simply deflecting to avoid the question.

hanger4
04-19-2017, 10:48 PM
you should go with two question marks.

it's powerful stuff

Sup fan club :wave:

Safety
04-19-2017, 10:53 PM
I ask what spin, you're simply deflecting to avoid the question.

The spin about a Republican held seat for 38 years being this close as anything but negative. Your question is answered. Now...please answer mine.

The question: you mentioned the amount of money spent on the dem candidate vs the amount spent on the republican candidate in your answer, now can you explain why you did that?

hanger4
04-20-2017, 05:29 AM
The spin about a Republican held seat for 38 years being this close as anything but negative. Your question is answered. Now...please answer mine.

The question: you mentioned the amount of money spent on the dem candidate vs the amount spent on the republican candidate in your answer, now can you explain why you did that?

Sure Safety "this close", puts you in the House seat.

Your right, money in politics is irrelevant, must be why so many gave so much to Ossoff.

Safety
04-20-2017, 05:31 AM
Sure Safety "this close", puts you in the House seat.

Your right, money in politics is irrelevant, must be why so many gave so much to Ossoff.

I knew after the first time you refused to answer, that you couldn't. Bet you won't mention the money spent any further, eh?

hanger4
04-20-2017, 05:37 AM
I knew after the first time you refused to answer, that you couldn't. Bet you won't mention the money spent any further, eh?

I knew as soon as I answered you wouldn't accept the answer and claim I couldn't answer. Money matters in politics and it doesn't matter whether we like it or not.

Safety
04-20-2017, 05:42 AM
I knew as soon as I answered you wouldn't accept the answer and claim I couldn't answer. Money matters in politics and it doesn't matter whether we like it or not.

So, your previous answer was basically a lie, because here you go saying money matters. Why/how? I want hanger4's response, not another attempt to deflect.

hanger4
04-20-2017, 05:46 AM
So, your previous answer was basically a lie, because here you go saying money matters. Why/how? I want hanger4's response, not another attempt to deflect.

It's not deflection because you don't like the answer.

Safety
04-20-2017, 06:01 AM
It's not deflection because you don't like the answer.

You didn't answer. You spoke about the amount of money spent between the dem and Rep candidate, then when I asked you how it played a part in the election, you have dodged, deflected, and attempted to obfuscate. Nobody does that unless they were basically talking out their rear.

Common
04-20-2017, 06:13 AM
Sup fan club :wave:

peanut gallery trolling for nickels

Common
04-20-2017, 06:15 AM
Heres the deal munchkins, doesnt matter how much money was spent. The democrats called this clown that doesnt even live in the district and cant even vote for himself a TRUMP SLAYER, he was supposed to win by a landslide and send a message.

Even democrat pundits said if its not a resounding win it bodes badly for the dems taking back the house.

MisterVeritis
04-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Apparently, the Democrats thought they could buy the results they were looking for. I am delighted the Democrats spent eight million out of state dollars to bid on the election. I am sure it was a boost for the local economy.

hanger4
04-20-2017, 06:34 AM
You didn't answer. You spoke about the amount of money spent between the dem and Rep candidate, then when I asked you how it played a part in the election, you have dodged, deflected, and attempted to obfuscate. Nobody does that unless they were basically talking out their rear.

BS, I deflected nowhere, anyone knows what money is used for in campaigns. You have an agenda, spit it out Safety ??

MMC
04-20-2017, 06:39 AM

Especially with the Hollywood Star Power not helping him to get to 50%, which is what was needed. Its a loss for the Demos. It also shows their resistance is puttering out.

MMC
04-20-2017, 06:41 AM
relax, you're doing fine.

You're not. Your usual.

MMC
04-20-2017, 06:42 AM
The Republican field was split 11 ways.

Now, they will unify behind a single candidate. The Democrat should just concede now and save himself the embarrassment of being soundly defeated in the runoff.

Exactly and after his embarrassing comments yesterday.....he just tanked himself.

Safety
04-20-2017, 06:53 AM
Apparently, the Democrats thought they could buy the results they were looking for. I am delighted the Democrats spent eight million out of state dollars to bid on the election. I am sure it was a boost for the local economy.

How would that work exactly? How does the money spent affect, or try to affect the outcome?

BS, I deflected nowhere, anyone knows what money is used for in campaigns. You have an agenda, spit it out Safety ??

But yet you can't explain how the money affects the results. You mentioned the money and that's it. Do you even know, or are you just spouting talking points?

Common
04-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Safety you know damn well that the more money a candidate has the better the chance of election, unless he or she is a dud, like hillary.

Tv Ads billboard ads all take big money and are pertinent to winning elections.

But you already know all that, you are searching desperately to give the democrat some bale

MMC
04-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Heres the deal munchkins, doesnt matter how much money was spent. The democrats called this clown that doesnt even live in the district and cant even vote for himself a TRUMP SLAYER, he was supposed to win by a landslide and send a message.

Even democrat pundits said if its not a resounding win it bodes badly for the dems taking back the house.

The leftness was trying to spin this as a win. Now that the Repubs wont be divided.

Handel will crush him in the Special run off in June. The Dems needed this mope to win now, and he failed.

Democrats' Georgia blunder: 'Resist Trump' is not a winning strategy.....

Ossoff’s candidacy and failure to secure the seat in the first round of voting, despite holding an $8.3 million war-chest, is the quintessential example of why the Democrats’ strategy of resisting Trump at every step is imprudent and that the more effective way to win in a solidly Republican district is with a positive agenda of change.

However, these aspects of Ossoff’s candidacy do not change the underlying narrative that has catapulted his campaign to national prominence. Above all, Ossoff’s digital media campaign has centered on the slogan, “Make Trump Furious,” which has summarily helped him raise millions of dollars from nearly 200,000 individual donations. Uniquely, these donations are primarily in small dollar amounts averaging $43 and have come in from out of state.

Further, now that Ossoff has been unable to attain 50 percent of the vote despite Democrats getting maximum attention for their turnout in recent special elections, Ossoff’s chances in a head-to-head race against Handel are limited. After all, going back to 1979, Georgia’s sixth district has been represented by three of the state’s most prominent Republicans: Speaker Newt Gingrich, Senator Johnny Isakson, and Secretary Tom Price.

The current Democratic minority does not seek to offer alternatives to Republican policies in this way, but instead promotes resistance at every step and blocking anything that comes from the White House.

If not by 2018, certainly by 2020, this non-strategy will not only destabilize the Democratic party’s future, but also cripple our nation in the process, leaving key constituencies to suffer the consequences......snip~

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/04/19/democrats-georgia-blunder-resist-trump-is-not-winning-strategy.html

Safety
04-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Safety you know damn well that the more money a candidate has the better the chance of election, unless he or she is a dud, like hillary.

But you already know all that, you are searching desperately to give the democrat some bale

Yes common, I do know. I also know hanger4 and misterveritis knows. The point I made is how y'all are so willing to accept how money influences elections, but sit here and play ignorant to how an outside entity could have the same effect. But, it has been noted.

hanger4
04-20-2017, 06:59 AM
How would that work exactly? How does the money spent affect, or try to affect the outcome?

But yet you can't explain how the money affects the results. You mentioned the money and that's it. Do you even know, or are you just spouting talking points?

What is your point Safety ?? Do you seriously need a Jr High school lesson on what money buys in a political campaign ??

MMC
04-20-2017, 07:04 AM

Actually he is just playing a head game. As most illiberals do. As he could look it up and have his answers. Instead he wants someone to waste time describing the basics for him.

How Money Influences Elections.....

First, it’s clear that money counts in our elections. Since 2000, the average winner in contests for open House seats has outspent the average loser by at least $310,000, according to figures (http://cfinst.org/congress/pdf/Table4_PostElec.pdf) compiled by the nonpartisan Campaign Finance Institute. In races for open Senate seats, winners outspent losers, on average, in every year except 2002......snip~

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/21/opinion/l21brooks.html

How Does Money Affect An Election? | WUNC (http://wunc.org/post/how-does-money-affect-election)wunc.org/post/how-does-money-affect-election

How Much Does Campaign Spending Influence the Election? A ... (http://freakonomics.com/2012/01/17/how-much-does-campaign-spending-influence-the-election-a-freakonomics-quorum/)freakonomics.com/2012/01/17/how-

Stanford scholars examine big money's influence on elections (http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/may/money-influence-elections-052112.html)news.stanford.edu/news/2012/may/money-influence-elections-052112.html

When money matters in elections - The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/05/06/when-money-matters-in-elections/)https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../06/when-money-matters-in-elections[/URL]

(http://www.bing.com/search?q=How+does+money+affect+a+campaign+for+a+an +election&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02&pc=EUPP_#)

[URL="http://www.bing.com/search?q=How+does+money+affect+a+campaign+for+a+an +election&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02&pc=EUPP_#"] (http://www.bing.com/search?q=How+does+money+affect+a+campaign+for+a+an +election&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IESR02&pc=EUPP_#)

MisterVeritis
04-20-2017, 07:08 AM

Don't play the fool, Safety. On the other hand, please continue.

Clearly, money was not as important as the Democrat operatives believed. The Democrats saturated the state with advertising to vote for the Democrat. And about one-half of the voters were swayed. Why else would anyone vote for a Democrat?

Common
04-20-2017, 07:13 AM
Yes common, I do know. I also know hanger4 and misterveritis knows. The point I made is how y'all are so willing to accept how money influences elections, but sit here and play ignorant to how an outside entity could have the same effect. But, it has been noted.

What outside entity ? personally I dont care whether the entity was gop or dem, I have absolutely no control over that as an individual. Some hollywooders went to georgia to get out the vote for this guy Alyssa Milano for one. The point of this election to me is that the media and the left touted this guy as the Trump slayer and he was going to win by a landslide and send a message to the GOP house.

We know that did not happen, even if he wins the election the impact is minimal, since trump only won georgia by less than 1% anyway

Safety
04-20-2017, 07:15 AM
What is your point Safety ?? Do you seriously need a Jr High school lesson on what money buys in a political campaign ??

I'm already past it, hanger4. I just wanted to see if you were going to be intellectually honest and answer my question, but I see you rather dip, duck, and dodge the question because it would invalidate your dismissal of the Russian influence.

hanger4
04-20-2017, 07:15 AM

Seriously Safety, this is about Russia ?? And here I thought you were covering up your repub spin faux pas. My bad.

MisterVeritis
04-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Ah! The Russian connection. Crooked Hillary is a horrible human being and a poor candidate. Her multibillion-dollar effort to buy the election with little work on her part worked as well as Ossoff's multimillion effort to buy his election. Ossoff's outside entities were money and celebrity efforts from outside the state. Perhaps you should consider the lessons Ossoff's failure offer about the value of outside entities in swaying elections.

hanger4
04-20-2017, 07:41 AM
I'm already past it, hanger4. I just wanted to see if you were going to be intellectually honest and answer my question, but I see you rather dip, duck, and dodge the question because it would invalidate your dismissal of the Russian influence.

Actually I've invalidated your 'it's influence', that would be Russian collusion Safety, big difference. Must be why I failed to understand you point. I just assumed you knew Russia's in the election influencing business just as the US is. My bad.

resister
04-20-2017, 07:47 AM
I'm already past it, hanger4. I just wanted to see if you were going to be intellectually honest and answer my question, but I see you rather dip, duck, and dodge the question because it would invalidate your dismissal of the Russian influence.17929So sick of hearing about the damn Russians!

MMC
04-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Seriously Safety, this is about Russia ?? And here I thought you were covering up your repub spin faux pas. My bad.
LMAO the Russian influence. :laugh:

EXCLUSIVE: IG Investigating Obama Admin Cyber Attacks On Georgia Election System

Federal officials have launched an investigation into why the Department of Homeland Security hacked into the Georgia state governmental network, including its election system, The Daily Caller News Foundation’s Investigative Group has learned.
John Roth, inspector general for DHS, wants to know why the agency broke protocol on its way to 10 unprecedented attacks on the system overseen by Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp — who is also one of the most vocal critics about the Obama administration’s attempt to designate local and state election machinery as part of federal “critical infrastructure.”

Georgian IT specialists traced 10 such scans back to a DHS IP address. DHS officials confirmed the attacks came from an unnamed contractor attached to the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, Georgia, a part of DHS.

FLETCO officials have refuse to identify the contractor and the agency did not respond to a DCNF inquiry about the intrusions.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/25/exclusive-inspector-general-to-investigate-10-dhs-cyberattacks-on-georgia-election-system/#ixzz4enNSAJKW

Is that what the Demos are calling themselves these days.....The Russians? Oh yeah then there is a lot of influence. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/smiley_ROFLMAO.gif