PDA

View Full Version : Be the first on your block with a Kitty Hawk Flyer!

Bo-4
04-28-2017, 01:02 PM
Financially backed by Google founder Larry Page - it's not a "flying car" and as of now it's not pretty, but that's expected to change.

Verdict still out on the price and the first version is designed to be flown over water.

If you live on a large lake that doesn't see a lot of big crowds - it'd be a pretty cool toy!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/technology/flying-car-technology.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAgQepUonw

Captain Obvious
04-28-2017, 01:17 PM
I so can't wait to read the news stories of thes morons killing themselves by crashing into power lines and golden arches highway signs.

How fucking cool is that going to be?

Doublejack
04-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Needs a roll cage at least

Bo-4
04-28-2017, 01:22 PM
I so can't wait to read the news stories of thes morons killing themselves by crashing into power lines and golden arches highway signs.

How fucking cool is that going to be?

It probably is Darwin Pre-Approved ;)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/839797892458098688/z5gzs0Tz.jpg

Captain Obvious
04-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Needs a mandatory go-pro so we don't miss a single one of these idiots as they crash into telephone poles and die.

Extra points for electrocution.

Bo-4
04-28-2017, 01:26 PM

Don't think it's possible to flip it as long as over a reasonably calm body of water.

But if i did splash down head first - would probably pass on a cage to have to escape.

Captain Obvious
04-28-2017, 01:38 PM
These should be free to all O'bamma voters

Common
04-28-2017, 02:01 PM
I bet the insurance on it costs alot more than the machine.

Common Sense
04-28-2017, 02:02 PM

That's nice, Mac....

Doublejack
04-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Don't think it's possible to flip it as long as over a reasonably calm body of water.

But if i did splash down head first - would probably pass on a cage to have to escape.

If it's possible it will happen.

Hitting boats, docks, beaches, trees etc. It's gonna need a cage.

FindersKeepers
04-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Financially backed by Google founder Larry Page - it's not a "flying car" and as of now it's not pretty, but that's expected to change.

Verdict still out on the price and the first version is designed to be flown over water.

If you live on a large lake that doesn't see a lot of big crowds - it'd be a pretty cool toy!

That does look like a cool toy. I've been thinking about getting an ultralight for a while now, but never seem to get quite there. I could fly a single-seat ultralight without a license (I think, at least that used to be the rule), but if I want to fly a two-seater, and let's face it, I don't want to fly alone, I want to make my sister come with me, I would have to get a sport pilot license. I don't really want to do that.

The above the water thing sounds fun, but I want to fly over farms and hills and valleys.

jimmyz
04-28-2017, 02:17 PM
I'd do it over water no more than 20 ft high just because the crash landing would be more survivable.

Bo-4
04-28-2017, 02:48 PM

Cool, let me know when mine will be delivered.

Was thinking about a paddle board for our lake this summer - but the Flyer looks like more fun.

Thanks! :D

Bo-4
04-28-2017, 02:51 PM
I'd do it over water no more than 20 ft high just because the crash landing would be more survivable.

Yep - from the video i don't think it goes all that much higher than 20 feet .. which is likely why it isn't suited for land.