PDA

View Full Version : State Department issues travel warning for Europe

Peter1469
05-02-2017, 04:29 PM
State Department issues travel warning for Europe (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-europe-alert-attacks-idUSKBN17X2CV)

Summer time in Europe. Lots of tourists and targets.

The U.S. State Department issued a travel alert for Europe on Monday, saying U.S. citizens should be aware of a continued threat of terrorist attacks throughout the continent.

In the alert, the State Department cited recent incidents in France, Russia, Sweden and the United Kingdom and said Islamic State and al Qaeda "have the ability to plan and execute terrorist attacks in Europe."

The State Department's previous travel alert for Europe, issued ahead of the winter holiday season, expired in February. A State Department official said Monday's alert was not prompted by a specific threat, but rather recognition of the continuing risk of attacks especially ahead of the summer holidays. The alert expires on Sept. 1.

Common Sense
05-02-2017, 06:04 PM
The crowds in Paris are too crazy for me anyway. I'll wait until the fall. Or I might do Spain.

Bo-4
05-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Yep, deranged wannabes with giant trucks are a problem.

But still, chances of being killed there are about the same as Bruce Willis growing a ginormous afro overnight.

:D

Mister D
05-02-2017, 07:27 PM
State Department issues travel warning for Europe (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-europe-alert-attacks-idUSKBN17X2CV)

Summer time in Europe. Lots of tourists and targets.
There is no trouble in Europe, Peter. They love immigration and the Muslims are getting along very well.

donttread
05-02-2017, 07:37 PM
The crowds in Paris are too crazy for me anyway. I'll wait until the fall. Or I might do Spain.

Not me . Plenty of America left that I have yet to see.

Peter1469
05-02-2017, 07:47 PM

September or early October are my favorite times to go to Europe.

Dr. Who
05-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Right. Before the rains start when it's not excessively warm but good for walking - plus you can live without A/C in your hotel, if it's not part of an American chain.

Common Sense
05-02-2017, 08:58 PM

March is always great. The weather isn't great, but you end up having amazing villages to yourself. Rates are lower as well.

Peter1469
05-03-2017, 04:06 AM
Right. Before the rains start when it's not excessively warm but good for walking - plus you can live without A/C in your hotel, if it's not part of an American chain.

That and the hordes of tourists have subsided.

Abby08
05-03-2017, 08:43 AM
I lived in Europe in the early/mid 80's. I doubt I'd go, now, don't think I'd fly anywhere overseas now.

Peter1469
05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
I lived in Europe in the early/mid 80's. I doubt I'd go, now, don't think I'd fly anywhere overseas now.
I would