PDA

View Full Version : U.S. job growth rebounds sharply

Common
05-07-2017, 08:03 AM
This is good news for a change

U.S. job growth rebounds sharply, unemployment rate falls to 4.4 percent

U.S. job growth rebounded sharply in April and the unemployment rate dropped to 4.4 percent, near a 10-year low, pointing to a tightening labor market that likely seals the case for an interest rate increase next month despite moderate wage growth.
Nonfarm payrolls surged by 211,000 jobs last month after a paltry gain of 79,000 in March, the Labor Department said on Friday. April's job growth, which was broad-based, surpassed this year's monthly average of 185,000.
There were hefty increases in leisure and hospitality, healthcare and social assistance as well as business and professional services payrolls.
The drop of one-tenth of a percentage point in the jobless rate took it to its lowest level since May 2007 and well below the most recent Federal Reserve median forecast for full employment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-idUSKBN1810BZ

Green Arrow
05-07-2017, 10:56 AM
I thought the real unemployment rate was as high as 10%?

Bo-4
05-07-2017, 10:59 AM

What GA said ^ hilarious how the Department of Labor numbers were rigged under Obama but suddenly they're A-okay.

Face it - Obama fixed a crap sandwich and handed Donald a damn rosy economy.

Peter1469
05-07-2017, 11:12 AM
U-6 unemployment is 8.6% (https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm) as of mid-April.

That is a more accurate measure than the U-3 number.

Peter1469
05-07-2017, 11:13 AM
What GA said ^ hilarious how the Department of Labor numbers were rigged under Obama but suddenly they're A-okay.

Nobody said the numbers were rigged. There are 6 official measures of unemployment. U-3 is the one you are use to seeing. U-6 gives a more complete picture of unemployment.

Common
05-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Make it anyyyyy thing you want it to be

Common
05-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Nobody said the numbers were rigged. There are 6 official measures of unemployment. U-3 is the one you are use to seeing. U-6 gives a more complete picture of unemployment.
211,000 jobs added thats a plus

Bo-4
05-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Yes - actually they did - Over and Over and OVER.

Short term memory loss Pete? ;-)

Peter1469
05-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Yes - actually they did - Over and Over and OVER.

Short term memory loss Pete? ;-)

I have consistently attempted to teach the public school students simple truths such as the six ways to measure unemployment.

Bo-4
05-07-2017, 12:56 PM
I have consistently attempted to teach the public school students simple truths such as the six ways to measure unemployment.

All that is well and good Pete but the fact remains - No matter HOW unemployment was measured under Obama, every single positive jobs report under Obama from the BLS for 8 long years was labeled "fixed" or "crooked".

Peter1469
05-07-2017, 01:01 PM
All that is well and good Pete but the fact remains - No matter HOW unemployment was measured under Obama, every single positive jobs report under Obama from the BLS for 8 long years was labeled "fixed" or "crooked".

Not by me. I simply used U-6. Just as I did above for Trump.

The Xl
05-07-2017, 04:26 PM
I'm always skeptical of these rates. They're easily manipulated for political talking points.

Adelaide
05-09-2017, 07:29 AM
As far as I know, the numbers coming out are still impacted by the Obama administration and that it will probably take another quarter before it can begin to be attributed to Trump and any changes he may make.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2017, 08:23 AM

There is no doubt that the economy has recovered somewhat from the decline it suffered in the Bush years, but that recovery was accomplished by doing nothing. About the only thing Obama did was stay on the same course as the Bush administration and the markets settled.

Now it's time to take some action and make real reforms in the tax code and start realizing true economic growth. The business sector has been waiting for leadership at the federal level for a long time now.

Peter1469
05-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Other than the stock market, there was not much of a recovery.

Tahuyaman
05-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Other than the stock market, there was not much of a recovery.

The low skill job market rebounded. If one was looking for a low paying part time job to supplement a primary income, the Obama recovery was a good thing. Not so much if you were looking for a career where one could support a family on a single income.