PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Point System

DGUtley
05-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Notice & Warning: The Reputation point system is not an accurate reflection of thread standing due to apparent abuse. Continued touting of meaningless reputation standings may result in the moderators recommending its removal or resetting.

MisterVeritis
05-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Notice & Warning: The Reputation point system is not an accurate reflection of thread standing due to apparent abuse. Continued touting of meaningless reputation standings may result in the moderators recommending its removal or resetting.
I have never given it much thought. It is not why I enjoy posting here.

Chris
05-22-2017, 09:05 AM
Some think it's the cat's meow.

Safety
05-22-2017, 09:18 AM

Does that apply to all?

As opposed to some known for little more than snark and mockery. Consider reputations.

Figured you'd throw in another of your fallacious tu quoques. It's a bad habit. Your reputation.

Which is why it was presented as an anecdote, but, no, you and your buddy in snark and mockery can't help yourselves. Reputation.

Just asking.

Chris
05-22-2017, 09:19 AM
Does that apply to all?

Just asking.

Was I touting?

Do you, of all people, want it removed?

Safety
05-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Was I touting?

Do you, of all people, want it removed?

Was I touting it, have I ever touted it? Evidently, it offends you, but I really couldn't care less. I will say that anyone that feels offended at someone else's "reputation" really should probably find other methods to spend their time. It's...sorta snowflake'y.

MisterVeritis
05-22-2017, 09:26 AM
Was I touting it, have I ever touted it? Evidently, it offends you, but I really couldn't care less. I will say that anyone that feels offended at someone else's "reputation" really should probably find other methods to spend their time. It's...sorta snowflake'y.
That wasn't the point. Bethere was using it as a measure of his board-level awesomeness. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Cut and Run Bethere was using it as a shield against his history of leaving the scene when the going gets tough.

Safety
05-22-2017, 09:29 AM
That wasn't the point. Bethere was using it as a measure of his board-level awesomeness. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Cut and Run Bethere was using it as a shield against his history of leaving the scene when the going gets tough.

Then that is something that should be taken up with that particular member. I don't see how anyone can tout a "Rep" on an online anonymous forum, but that doesn't mean to say that those that are jealous should social engineer the rules to raise the self esteem of snowflakes.

Chris
05-22-2017, 09:30 AM

Why do you make things up now? I'm not offended in the least.

Safety
05-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Why do you make things up now? I'm not offended in the least.

Your passive-aggressive retort "Do you, of all people, want it removed" was the tic that showed your hand.

MisterVeritis
05-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Then that is something that should be taken up with that particular member. I don't see how anyone can tout a "Rep" on an online anonymous forum, but that doesn't mean to say that those that are jealous should social engineer the rules to raise the self esteem of snowflakes.
I don't know of anyone other than Bethere who believes reputation points are a measure of anything important.

del
05-22-2017, 09:47 AM
seems like a bit of an overreaction

Ravens Fan
05-22-2017, 09:50 AM
The reputation point system is complicated and easily manipulated. That was the point being made in this announcement. We have seen issues with it before, but it has its benefits as well, so we would rather not remove it. At the same time, since we saw it being used to taunt others, we decided some clarification was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

del
05-22-2017, 09:52 AM

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 10:01 AM
I don't know of anyone other than Bethere who believes reputation points are a measure of anything important.

Well, look at the point leaders then look at their post/thread counts.

I never knew rhis stuff existed until I noticed someone (yep) browsing it.

I mean lol, how shamefully petty is that?

Crepitus
05-22-2017, 10:01 AM
The reputation point system is complicated and easily manipulated. That was the point being made in this announcement. We have seen issues with it before, but it has its benefits as well, so we would rather not remove it. At the same time, since we saw it being used to taunt others, we decided some clarification was needed.

What is it's benefit? I never even look at them unless.they are mentioned, and I. Opulent tell you what mine is right now, although I will admit I am gonna look when I post this.

Crepitus
05-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Mine is way higher than yours and you have been here twice as long with 3 times as many posts so I don't think that's how it works.

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Ravens Fan how is it getting manipulated?

What are "user points"?

If its being manipulated, thats where.

Chris
05-22-2017, 10:13 AM

Or look at typical posts.

It's nice to be able to give someone a well-deserved rep, or to get one. Too bad it gets abosed.

Ravens Fan
05-22-2017, 10:13 AM
What is it's benefit? I never even look at them unless.they are mentioned, and I. Opulent tell you what mine is right now, although I will admit I am gonna look when I post this.

Good question, but one I don't know the answer to. Who cares how many reputation points one has on an anonymous forum?

Chris
05-22-2017, 10:16 AM

Mine is way higher than yours and you have been here twice as long with 3 times as many posts so I don't think that's how it works.

^^That.

Ravens Fan
05-22-2017, 10:17 AM
Ravens Fan how is it getting manipulated?

What are "user points"?

If its being manipulated, thats where.

We had an issue about a year or more ago where certain members were repping every single post by certain members in order to rack up points. They were doing it so they could taunt other members and try to use their point levels to win arguments. I'm not saying that is being done now, just that it has happened before.

I can't explain the way the system works, as I do not completely understand it myself.

del
05-22-2017, 10:20 AM

^^That.
thought a little context might be helpful

del
05-22-2017, 10:21 AM
We had an issue about a year or more ago where certain members were repping every single post by certain members in order to rack up points. They were doing it so they could taunt other members and try to use their point levels to win arguments. I'm not saying that is being done now, just that it has happened before.

I can't explain the way the system works, as I do not completely understand it myself.

they?

hanger4
05-22-2017, 10:21 AM
I keep postbits hidden, phone loads faster and uses less data. Don't much care about avatars, post count, rep points or whatever else it shows. The actual post content is all that's important.

Chris
05-22-2017, 10:23 AM

The points awarded for a rep are dependent on the points of the member giving the rep. The more points you have the more you give. So it's easy to see how a clique could click their way to super-reps.

The announcement is just to say as such it's meaningless so don't look silly making suprious claims about it.

It might work better if it were constant in points. Thanks is a single point, iirc, so rep could be 10 points or something.

Chris
05-22-2017, 10:24 AM
I keep postbits hidden, phone loads faster and uses less data. Don't much care about avatars, post count, rep points or whatever else it shows. The actual post content is all that's important.

So do I, mainly so I don't have to see some ugly ass avatars again and again.

The actual post content is all that's important.

Would that more thought that way.

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 10:26 AM

From the guy who has the highest rep value and is the least contributor.

No wonder bethere thinks so highly of you, you're both dishonest.

Ravens Fan
05-22-2017, 10:29 AM
they?

Yes.

del
05-22-2017, 10:31 AM
From the guy who has the highest rep value and is the least contributor.

No wonder bethere thinks so highly of you, you're both dishonest.

crepitus was pointing out that he didn't think reputation was based solely on post count.

chris tried to make it something it wasn't, imo.

your evaluation of my honesty cuts me deep.

MisterVeritis
05-22-2017, 10:32 AM
Good question, but one I don't know the answer to. Who cares how many reputation points one has on an anonymous forum?

LOL. Bethere. No one else.

Crepitus
05-22-2017, 11:10 AM
^^That.

I'm not bragging, that was more in the nature of a question on how it works. As I mentioned until it was brought up in didn't even know what mine was. Or his for that matter.

Chris
05-22-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm not bragging, that was more in the nature of a question on how it works. As I mentioned until it was brought up in didn't even know what mine was. Or his for that matter.

OK.

Crepitus
05-22-2017, 11:12 AM

Thanks.

Beevee
05-22-2017, 11:40 AM

What? That someone else was browsing it at the same time as you were? Shame on them!

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 11:43 AM
What? That someone else was browsing it at the same time as you were? Shame on them!

No, but you're too old and dense to explain it to. And a troll, not worth the effort.

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 11:47 AM
crepitus was pointing out that he didn't think reputation was based solely on post count.

chris tried to make it something it wasn't, imo.

your evaluation of my honesty cuts me deep.

That's nice honey.

Do you and the boys still play "rep reach-around" lately? Bethere is your biggest fan.

del
05-22-2017, 11:51 AM
That's nice honey.

Do you and the boys still play "rep reach-around" lately? Bethere is your biggest fan.

there's no accounting for some people's taste, is there?

*shrug

resister
05-22-2017, 11:53 AM
I am Resister the magnificent, I am awesome, I am the master! lol:tinfoil:

jimmyz
05-22-2017, 01:43 PM
I'm still looking for somewhere to spend my rep power, points and karma tokens. Can anybody help me in that?

Chris
05-22-2017, 01:47 PM
I'm still looking for somewhere to spend my rep power, points and karma tokens. Can anybody help me in that?

Walmart.

Bethere
05-22-2017, 01:48 PM
LOL. Bethere. No one else.

Then why are we talking about it?

Beevee
05-22-2017, 01:53 PM
No, but you're too old and dense to explain it to. And a troll, not worth the effort.

LOL. Coming from you, that's worth 1000 stars on your lapel. Donald will accommodate on his return to the US

Bethere
05-22-2017, 02:08 PM
So do I, mainly so I don't have to see some ugly ass avatars again and again.

Would that more thought that way.

Some of us find this avatar to be offensive.

None of us seek to ban all avatars.

That's because we aren't snowflakes.

Chris
05-22-2017, 02:12 PM

Johnny Cash photographer reveals truth behind San Quentin Prison shot (http://www.nme.com/news/music/johnny-cash-19-1292708)

https://i.snag.gy/YVrFpG.jpg

The story behind the famous photo of Johnny Cash giving the finger during his 1969 San Quentin State Prison gig has been revealed.

It’s now come to light that before his death in March 2010, photographer Jim Marshall had asked the country legend to express what he thought of the prison authorities when he played the show.

Marshall told the San Francisco Art Exchange: “I said, ‘John, let’s do a shot for the warden’,” before Cash flipped the camera the bird.

He added that the photo was “probably the most ripped off photograph in the history of the world.”

Oh, and use the report button for complaints.

Green Arrow
05-22-2017, 02:15 PM

As far as I can tell, Chris never suggested banning all avatars. He simply exercises the personal choice to utilize a feature that hides them.

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 02:17 PM

Some of us find idiocy insulting.

Far, far more than snowflakes fauxraging over iconic music legend images.

I do not believe you are a musician, any musician worth their salt wouldn't fuss like a pussy over it. I think it's yet another one of your lies.

MisterVeritis
05-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Then why are we talking about it?
It is the subject of this thread.
Isn't that obvious?

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 02:33 PM
I love how snowflakes feel they have a right to not be offended lol.

Precious, gentle little snowflakes. So fragile, so delicate...

decedent
05-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't know or care how rep power works?

I'm still wondering what "Postbits" are. I guess they're the bits of the post on the side of a post, which isn't really a part of a post, so I don't know how it's a bit of a post... meh.

Green Arrow
05-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't know or care how rep power works?

I'm still wondering what "Postbits" are. I guess they're the bits of the post on the side of a post, which isn't really a part of a post, so I don't know how it's a bit of a post... meh.

"Postbits" are things like avatars and signatures. If you click "Hide Postbits," it'll hide avatars and signatures and a lot of the details that show up under the avatars. Basically it's the window-dressing of a post. My Eugene V. Debs avatar and signature, while my favorite, are not particularly relevant to the content of my posts.

Chris
05-22-2017, 02:38 PM
I love how snowflakes feel they have a right to not be offended lol.

Precious, gentle little snowflakes. So fragile, so delicate...

Wait for it, reverse (tu quoque) snowflake.

Ethereal
05-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Does that apply to all?

Just asking.
Another fail from Safety.

The OP is referring to the forum's reputation system, not reputation as a general concept.

But leave it up to you to try and conflate the two in order to make another stab at hypocrisy policing.

Anyway, I suspected the reputation system was open to abuse and I further suspected that Bethere was abusing it. Granted, the mods won't name names, but I think we all know who they are talking about.

Ethereal
05-22-2017, 02:46 PM
You don't see how... must be because you've got your blinders on.

Bethere has been touting his reputation points aggressively for months now. Pretty sure you've been in a few threads where he's done it. Now we have a pretty solid confirmation that he's been abusing the system, probably by trading reputation points with other members. And since you're so clearly upset by this revelation, wouldn't be surprised if you were involved in it somehow.

Ethereal
05-22-2017, 02:48 PM
Was it an overreaction when Bob was exposed and punished for manipulating the points system? Or did you approve of it and jump on the dogpile?

Rhetorical question. You approved and jumped on the dogpile.

But now that your leftist pals are implicated, it's suddenly a problem.

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 02:49 PM

Bethere has been touting his reputation points aggressively for months now. Pretty sure you've been in a few threads where he's done it. Now we have a pretty solid confirmation that he's been abusing the system, probably by trading reputation points with other members. And since you're so clearly upset by this revelation, wouldn't be surprised if you were involved in it somehow.

Bethere is very proud of his tPF recognition. This thread must be very difficult for him.

That and his inability to reach VIP.

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Wait for it, reverse (tu quoque) snowflake.

wot...

resister
05-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Bethere is very proud of his tPF recognition. This thread must be very difficult for him.

That and his inability to reach VIP.
Nothing is difficult for the "master"​LOL

del
05-22-2017, 02:53 PM
Was it an overreaction when Bob was exposed and punished for manipulating the points system? Or did you approve of it and jump on the dogpile?

i couldn't give less of a fuck if rep stays or goes, sparky.

i said it seems like an overreaction because it seems like an overreaction.

have a nice day

now, please, cast more aspersions

Chris
05-22-2017, 02:57 PM
wot...

You'll be called a snowflake soon enough.

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 03:02 PM
You'll be called a snowflake soon enough.

Yep, was just accused of being a John Miller supporter "every time" lol, no idea who that is.

Insecurity and fear drive the need to project and demonize.

del
05-22-2017, 03:02 PM
Yep, was just accused of being a John Milker supporter "every time" lol, no idea who that is.

Insecurity and fear drive the need to project and demonize.

you'd know best

Mister D
05-22-2017, 03:04 PM
lol @ bethere

Captain Obvious
05-22-2017, 03:11 PM

I think its pretty clear who is gaming the system.

Usual suspects too when it comes to pettiness.

Ethereal
05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
https://goo.gl/ZqnN5Z

lol!!!

When Bob was caught manipulating the reputation system, Safety was all over it, characterizing it as "unethical conduct". Now he's done a complete reversal. This is not going to look good on the chief of the hypocrisy police, not good at all.

Mister D
05-22-2017, 03:14 PM

lol!!!

When Bob was caught manipulating the reputation system, Safety was all over it, characterizing it as "unethical conduct". Now he's done a complete reversal. This is not going to look good on the chief of the hypocrisy police, not good at all.

Damn that was brutal...

Safety
05-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Another fail from Safety.

The OP is referring to the forum's reputation system, not reputation as a general concept.

But leave it up to you to try and conflate the two in order to make another stab at hypocrisy policing.

Anyway, I suspected the reputation system was open to abuse and I further suspected that Bethere was abusing it. Granted, the mods won't name names, but I think we all know who they are talking about.

lol!!!

Green Arrow

Green Arrow
05-22-2017, 03:18 PM
@Green Arrow (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=868)

Yeah, yeah, I know...I've done my best on both ends.

Safety
05-22-2017, 03:18 PM
Is there any coincidence that the main ones here complaining about unfounded accusations, are here spreading unfounded accusations.

Ethereal
05-22-2017, 03:19 PM
i couldn't give less of a $#@! if rep stays or goes, sparky.

i said it seems like an overreaction because it seems like an overreaction.

have a nice day

now, please, cast more aspersions

It wasn't an overreaction when Bob was exposed, was it?

https://goo.gl/f5duXO

Bob exposed manipulating the rep system = Pathetic

Bethere exposed manipulating the rep system = Overreaction

Yea, I think we got it.

del
05-22-2017, 03:21 PM
It wasn't an overreaction when Bob was exposed, was it?

https://goo.gl/f5duXO

Bob exposed manipulating the rep system = Pathetic

Bethere exposed manipulating the rep system = Overreaction

Yea, I think we got it.
when was bethere exposed, outide of your own mind?

if bethere is/was manipulating the system, i'd say the same thing to him.

mad search skillz though, you must lead a very busy life

Mister D
05-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Is there any coincidence that the main ones here complaining about unfounded accusations, are here spreading unfounded accusations.
I think most of us are laughing at reputationgate 2. I also think most of us know that 1. only bethere brags about his reputation and 2. only a handful of people would participate in gaming the system with him. LOL! How embarrassing.

Safety
05-22-2017, 03:22 PM
Yeah, yeah, I know...I've done my best on both ends.

I know it's obvious that he knows that he has the feeedom to say whatever he wants without repercussion, but I'm not the type to let him.

Green Arrow
05-22-2017, 03:25 PM
I know it's obvious that he knows that he has the feeedom to say whatever he wants without repercussion, but I'm not the type to let him.

The best I can do is talk to both of you about the same thing and in the same manner, which I did. Whether either of you listen is up to you. You're both adults, I won't interfere with your free will.

Frustrating as it is sometimes :tongue:

Safety
05-22-2017, 03:26 PM
I think most of us are laughing at reputationgate 2. I also think most of us know that 1. only bethere brags about his reputation and 2. only a handful of people would participate in gaming the system with him. LOL! How embarrassing.

Having been on the discussions at that time, the party responsible for "gaming" the system was uncovered doing so by abusing the way the system was intended. Now, I understand why you and a couple of your buddies are slapping each other on the back because you think by some measure you have members that y'all don't like in some sort of predicament. I'm here to say.... :rofl:

Chris
05-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Closing down, getting too personal. We, the mods, simply want to point out the rep system is being played, rendering it meaningless.

Chris
05-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Captain Obvious

24 hours for over the top, personal insults.

@ http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/83387-I-Need-to-Come-Here-More-Often?p=2031307&viewfull=1#post2031307

Ethereal

24 hours for personal insults and etc back and forth with Safety.

thread: http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/83333-Reputation-Point-System and elsewhere

Safety

24 hours for personal insults and etc back and forth with Ethereal

thread: http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/83333-Reputation-Point-System and elsewhere