PDA

View Full Version : Cain's 9-9-9 Plan

Conley
10-14-2011, 05:32 PM
My next door neighbor says the 9-9-9 plan would make taxes go up for everybody paying 80k or less. He is a pretty die hard Republican (or was back when they were more traditional) and small business owner. Anyone else have an opinion on it? We already pay a 9% state sales tax out here in CA. So it'd be almost 20% on purchases. That would be a real kick in the azz imo.

Mister D
10-14-2011, 08:09 PM
My next door neighbor says the 9-9-9 plan would make taxes go up for everybody paying 80k or less. He is a pretty die hard Republican (or was back when they were more traditional) and small business owner. Anyone else have an opinion on it? We already pay a 9% state sales tax out here in CA. So it'd be almost 20% on purchases. That would be a real kick in the azz imo.

What does the 9-9-9 mean? 20% is crazy. I pay 7. It was 6 a few years back. 20% is crazy for a large purchase. Can you imagine paying 20% on a car!

Mister D
10-14-2011, 08:23 PM
20%! I assume there would be a substantial drop in income tax?

Conley
10-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Yes...the plan is basically 9% personal income tax, 9% national sales tax (in addition to whatever your state charges) and 9% corporate tax.

I love the idea of simplifying the tax code and making everyone pay a flat tax (above poverty level) but this seems so radical that maybe no one could really say if it would work or not.

Mister D
10-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Yes...the plan is basically 9% personal income tax, 9% national sales tax (in addition to whatever your state charges) and 9% corporate tax.

I love the idea of simplifying the tax code and making everyone pay a flat tax (above poverty level) but this seems so radical that maybe no one could really say if it would work or not.

Interesting. A guy like me would save a lot now that I think about it. How often do I make a big purchase? I'm sure food would continue to be exempt.

Mister D
10-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Just a thought: perhaps this tax plan could nudge us in the direction of reducing consumption in general.

Conley
10-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Just a thought: perhaps this tax plan could nudge us in the direction of reducing consumption in general.

But won't that kill the economy? I don't ever buy stuff either but it seems like if everyone were like us things would grind to a screeching halt?

Mister D
10-14-2011, 09:12 PM

But won't that kill the economy? I don't ever buy stuff either but it seems like if everyone were like us things would grind to a screeching halt?

This isn't my forte but I think maybe we need to move away from a consumer economy. ??? I wouldn't recommend anything drastic but this seems like it could gently nudge us in the right direction. Like I said, this isn't something I give a lot of thought to but over time people would become more like us.

Mister D
10-14-2011, 09:13 PM
On the other hand, I could be overlooking a major point.

Conley
10-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Well, America would be better off with more people like us. That's not even an issue for debate. ;D

Mister D
10-14-2011, 09:18 PM

Well, America would be better off with more people like us. That's not even an issue for debate. ;D

:D True dat.

Mr. Wonderful
10-15-2011, 05:27 AM

Your neighbor is wrong. 9-9-9 is the way to go.

MMC
10-15-2011, 07:34 AM
The centerpiece of Herman Cain's presidential campaign is his "999 plan," which would slash taxes on the wealthy and force low-income Americans to go from paying two percent of their income in federal taxes to 18 percent. In an interview with CNN's Candy Crowley, Cain was asked whether food or clothing would be exempted from the tax. "Nope," he said. "If they need to buy a car or a home or some hard goods that are used, they pay no taxes.".....snip~

http://www.drudge.com/news/149170/cains-999-plan-would-tax-food

MMC
10-15-2011, 07:39 AM
http://townhall.com/columnists/floydandmarybethbrown/2011/10/08/cain_proves_power_of_ideas_in_republican__race

If Cain is going to win, it will be because of his bold ideas and vision. And with ideas Mr. Cain excels, and frankly leaves most of the other candidates wanting.

So our second point would be to watch the battle of ideas. One of the best ways to pull a campaign forward is with bold ideas. In addition to Cain, only Ron Paul and Governor Gary Johnson have any bold plans. Johnson wants to legalize drugs and balance the budget next year. These are both radical ideas. His problem is that Republican primary voters disagree with him on drugs. It is doubtful they will swallow legalization of drugs just to balance the budget quickly.....snip~

MMC
10-15-2011, 07:56 AM
http://castroller.com/Podcasts/MichaelMedvedsMedheads/2609487

Here is what Medved came up with on Cain's 999 plan. Both the Pros and Cons. its from his show and the Video is 33 mins long. I listened to it only a few minutes at a time to pick up the info.

I tried to find it on U-Tube but there is nothing there. So I can't get it in shorter videos. In the Post above that was from TownHall Mag. According to Independant Analysis it will hurt the middle class and the poor. He also wants to tax food. Currently there are only two states that tax food. Alabama and Mississippi.

Conley
10-15-2011, 08:52 AM
The centerpiece of Herman Cain's presidential campaign is his "999 plan," which would slash taxes on the wealthy and force low-income Americans to go from paying two percent of their income in federal taxes to 18 percent. In an interview with CNN's Candy Crowley, Cain was asked whether food or clothing would be exempted from the tax. "Nope," he said. "If they need to buy a car or a home or some hard goods that are used, they pay no taxes.".....snip~

Huh? Food and clothing is taxed but cars are not? WTF?

I am not for taxing food, no way.

MMC
10-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Althought his Idea is sound on tearing apart the IRS. Starting over with a new Dept.

Conley
10-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Althought his Idea is sound on tearing apart the IRS. Starting over with a new Dept.

I would love tearing down the IRS and starting with a new tax code. It will never happen though. Too much money too many jobs -- all the gov't employees, the accountants, the bean counters. They need it to be confusing to line their pockets. Also the IRS and tax evasion is how they nail criminals they can't catch otherwise. Isn't that how they nailed Al Capone?

MMC
10-15-2011, 09:49 AM

I would love tearing down the IRS and starting with a new tax code. It will never happen though. Too much money too many jobs -- all the gov't employees, the accountants, the bean counters. They need it to be confusing to line their pockets. Also the IRS and tax evasion is how they nail criminals they can't catch otherwise. Isn't that how they nailed Al Capone?

Yep Tax Evasion.....either way he would not have been able to hold power. He was becoming a vegetable.

Elibe
10-15-2011, 09:49 AM
so this is really just another plan to raise taxes on the lower and middle class and drop corporate tax from 30 percent to 9 percent

typical big business republican

Mister D
10-15-2011, 01:24 PM

Not sure how I feel about taxing the basic necessities of life.

Mister D
10-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Huh? Food and clothing is taxed but cars are not? WTF?

I am not for taxing food, no way.

Agreed.

Low income Americans pay 2%? Many people pay nothing at all so I wonder what is meant by "low income". Anyway, this is dead in the water.

jgreer
10-15-2011, 03:56 PM
It is good to learn there is still some sanity among the conservatives on this forum.

Mister D
10-15-2011, 03:59 PM
It is good to learn there is still some sanity among the conservatives on this forum.

I'm still wondering how you reconcile your revolutionary posturing with your loyal support for the system. ;D

jgreer
10-15-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm still wondering how you reconcile your revolutionary posturing with your loyal support for the system. ;D

I'm a realist. The revolution is still a few decades away. In the meantime the Democrats represent our best hope. They are a far superior option than the Republicans.

Mister D
10-15-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm a realist. The revolution is still a few decades away. In the meantime the Democrats represent our best hope. They are a far superior option than the Republicans.

No, you're what is called a poseur but you're a young guy so no worries. You'll look back on your earlier views and laugh.

jgreer
10-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Hahaha. Don't you mean poser? Are you French? That would explain an awful lot.

I'm not young either. Maybe you will learn compassion as you grow older.

Mr. Wonderful
10-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Don't forget Cain's plan also eliminates payroll tax, FICA, and the rest of it. Savings for both businesses and workers.

Mister D
10-15-2011, 07:14 PM

Are you prejudiced against the French, sir!? >:( ;D

You're not? Yikes...

MMC
10-15-2011, 09:52 PM

Are you prejudiced against the French, sir!? >:( ;D

You're not? Yikes...

Nah.....I think all Americans should own one or two of them. ;D

Conley
10-15-2011, 09:59 PM
I like French food, French wine, French countryside...the people I can skip ;D

MMC
10-15-2011, 10:11 PM
I like French food, French wine, French countryside...the people I can skip ;D

Merovingian Speech - With Sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knFmjVf0jVk#ws)

;)

Conley
10-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Wiping your ass with silk...sounds like the bankers :D :D

Captain Obvious
10-16-2011, 09:39 AM
So is Cain's 999 plan anything like wild Bill's 69 plan?

MMC
10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
So is Cain's 999 plan anything like wild Bill's 69 plan?

http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/dontknow.gif Although, Michelle Bachmann says if it is turned upside down the Devil is in the details. http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/roflmao.gif

Wonder if she knows.....she use to be a Democrat too. :D ;)

wingrider
10-21-2011, 02:34 AM
I have looked at Cains plan and althought it has a lot of things going for it ... one thing needs to be added.

a discount or rebate on people making less than poverty level.

here is an example just so we are clear.

currently proposed a 9 percent tax on all purchases (new) . we can either exempt food much like we do in colorado food is only taxed at the city tax level, currently 3.5 percent. there is no state tax on food so registers are set up to only charge tax at the current city level. same could be done with a federal tas on food, exempt it.

now as to purchases out side of food,,

say a couple with no children earn 30,000 per year, federal poverty level for two is about 22,500, so 30,000 minus the 22,500 would leave a taxable income of 7,500 now we know the couple has paid this 9 percent tax with purchases over the year so they would get a rebate check for 9 percent of 22,500 about 2000 ,

this seems to be a fair and equitable way of setting up the base for the tax,
just a thoughtn guys, pick it apart and see what you can do with it..

MMC
10-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Herman Cain probably suffered the least of all candidates, remaining unflappable, avuncular and incurably engaging even as his rivals effectively shredded his now-largely discredited 9-9-9 tax plan. Not even an earthy communicator like the Herminator can plausibly insist that a tax restructuring could simultaneously maintain revenues at their current rate and lower burdens on corporations and the rich, without raising payments from the middle class and the poor. As a math major in college and holder of a graduate degree in computer science, Mr. Cain surely understands that it doesn’t work to take in the same amount of money and to reduce taxes on some citizens, unless you’re simultaneously hiking taxes on others.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. anti-tax activist Grover Norquist questioned Republican presidential contender Herman Cain's "999" tax reform plan on Friday, saying it opened the door to future tax increases.

"I applaud (Cain's) idea of having radically lower rates," Norquist said in an interview with Reuters Insider. "However, he creates three different taxes. Every one could rise in the future. That's my concern."

Another would extend a tax break that lets businesses write off the full value of purchasing certain equipment.

Norquist said he was pessimistic about the prospects for a thorough tax code overhaul before the November 2012 election. "I don't think there is time."

Comparing Cain's plan with European value-added, or VAT, taxes, Norquist said VAT started "with low rates and they all grew."

In a Republican debate on Tuesday, the other candidates attacked Cain's plan for establishing a federal sales tax.....snip~

Also Medved had stated some other things about Cain's plan.