PDA

View Full Version : Alabama governor signs law protecting Confederate monuments

Common
05-28-2017, 07:26 AM
To our Lawyers, can he do that legally ?

Alabama governor signs law protecting Confederate monuments from removalAlabama’s Republican governor has effectively safeguarded the state’s Confederate monuments from removal amid a recent purge of Civil War relics within neighboring states.
Gov. Kay Ivey signed the Alabama Memorial Preservation Act of 2017 on Wednesday, putting in place measures to protect decades-old statues, monuments and other tributes from Decatur to Dothan.
Officially the legislation (http://arc-sos.state.al.us/PAC/SOSACPDF.001/A0012128.PDF) prohibits the “relocation, removal, alteration, renaming or other disturbance of any architecturally significant building, memorial building, memorial street or monument located on public property which has been in place for 40 or more years.”
The law’s Republican supporters say the legislation is meant to protect all monuments with historical significants, but critics claim the effort is intended to assure the state’s Confederate monuments are left alone as opponent rally for their removal.
“Contrary to what its detractors say, the Memorial Preservation Act is intended to preserve all of Alabama’s history ― the good and the bad ― so our children and grandchildren can learn from the past to create a better future,” the bill’s main backer, Republican State Sen. Gerald Allen of Tuscaloosa, said in a statement Wednesday.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/27/alabama-law-protects-confederate-monuments-removal/

DGUtley
05-28-2017, 07:28 AM
I would think so.

Common
05-28-2017, 07:32 AM
I would think so.

It will be fought to Scotus I bet

Peter1469
05-28-2017, 07:33 AM
Sure. It can also be challenged in court. I am not sure that any challenge would be successful. It doesn't seem as if a court would use a standard higher than arbitrary and capricious.

donttread
05-28-2017, 07:55 AM

Alabama governor signs law protecting Confederate monuments from removalAlabama’s Republican governor has effectively safeguarded the state’s Confederate monuments from removal amid a recent purge of Civil War relics within neighboring states.
Gov. Kay Ivey signed the Alabama Memorial Preservation Act of 2017 on Wednesday, putting in place measures to protect decades-old statues, monuments and other tributes from Decatur to Dothan.
Officially the legislation (http://arc-sos.state.al.us/PAC/SOSACPDF.001/A0012128.PDF) prohibits the “relocation, removal, alteration, renaming or other disturbance of any architecturally significant building, memorial building, memorial street or monument located on public property which has been in place for 40 or more years.”
The law’s Republican supporters say the legislation is meant to protect all monuments with historical significants, but critics claim the effort is intended to assure the state’s Confederate monuments are left alone as opponent rally for their removal.
“Contrary to what its detractors say, the Memorial Preservation Act is intended to preserve all of Alabama’s history ― the good and the bad ― so our children and grandchildren can learn from the past to create a better future,” the bill’s main backer, Republican State Sen. Gerald Allen of Tuscaloosa, said in a statement Wednesday.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/may/27/alabama-law-protects-confederate-monuments-removal/

Good. The ultra libs seem to think you can run from history. What they don't realize is that slavery, indentured seritude and class structure much like slavery existed world wide in the old world and even in many tribal cultures . So what did the want to do, eliminate all history prior to the 1800's? Morons!

Newpublius
05-28-2017, 08:33 AM

Well people have to remember what municipalities are. They are 'creatures of the state' -- they really aren't separate from the state at all and the state can create and destroy them at will. Basically the state is prohibiting its municipaloties from removing Confederate monuments. The same logic exists behind TX' logic to prohibit citirs in TX frkm being sanctuary cities.

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 08:49 AM
It's not about whether she can do it .. she did do it.

But it won't stand up when challenged in court.

Eventually they'll be forced to do what other southern states have done ...

Put that crap in a museum.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 09:00 AM
It's not about whether she can do it .. she did do it.

But it won't stand up when challenged in court.

Eventually they'll be forced to do what other southern states have done ...

Put that crap in a museum.
The people of the south should decide what they want to do with their monuments. It's ultimately a question of their identity. It's not the business of white progressives from Boise.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 09:02 AM

If this corresponds with how the people of Alabama feel then great. Good for Alabama and good for the south. White northerners should have no say in the matter.

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 09:06 AM
The people of the south should decide what they want to do with their monuments. It's ultimately a question of their identity. It's not the business of white progressives from Boise.

They can preserve their "identity" by putting the in a museum for those interested to see.

Higher courts and SCOTUS if necessary will agree that symbols of the darkest chapter in American history don't belong in public places.

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 09:07 AM
If this corresponds with how the people of Alabama feel then great. Good for Alabama and good for the south. White northerners should have no say in the matter.

So a white northerner in Boise can't have an opinion :confused:

Mister D
05-28-2017, 09:34 AM
They can preserve their "identity" by putting the in a museum for those interested to see.

Higher courts and SCOTUS if necessary will agree that symbols of the darkest chapter in American history don't belong in public places.
Not your business, Bo. How the people of the south wish to understand themselves and their relationship with their past is their business. You really do hate it when (white) people decide things for themselves.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Not one that matters.

Bethere
05-28-2017, 09:40 AM

Your opinion is just as valid as the opinion of a white dude from New Jersey.

DGUtley
05-28-2017, 09:43 AM
They can preserve their "identity" by putting the in a museum for those interested to see. Higher courts and SCOTUS if necessary will agree that symbols of the darkest chapter in American history don't belong in public places.

I honestly do not see Scotus or other Higher Courts getting involved in the censorship of speech.

Adelaide
05-28-2017, 09:45 AM
To each his own.

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Not one that matters.

You do understand that "the south" is not a separate country right? They lost that war. Like it or not you are Americans.

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 10:04 AM
This isn't about free speech or history or any of that crap. This is about racist conservative snowflakes keeping their safe places.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 10:04 AM
You do understand that "the south" is not a separate country right? They lost that war. Like it or not you are Americans.
So what? What business is it of yours how the people of Alabama wish to represent their history? Do tell.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 10:05 AM
This isn't about free speech or history or any of that crap. This is about racist conservative snowflakes keeping their safe places.

I'm sorry you feel that way but...you don't matter.

Jezebel
05-28-2017, 10:09 AM

Great find Common, thanks for sharing!

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 10:11 AM
So what? What business is it of yours how the people of Alabama wish to represent their history? Do tell.

Lol, I grew up in Mississippi in the 70s. So I don't have a say now that I live in kansas? It's a free country dude, we are are all entitled to our opinions and even allowed to express them out loud, or matter how much you conservative types would like to silence us.

Now go back to your safe space and regroup.

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry you feel that way but...you don't matter.

If I don't matter, then neither do you, for we are equal.

Newpublius
05-28-2017, 10:37 AM

Well what happens when Japanese-Americans challenge statues to FDR, or Native Americans challenge the naming of Columbus, OH or the large Columbus statue in Columbus Circle in NYC. You are proposing a doctrine without any real bounds beyond an unelected judge determining what monuments or memorials will be pernitted to exist. Indeed, the issue in New Orleans is currently clearly within the purview of the city. There's kind've the rub because, as noted, municipalities clearly are creatures of the state. You can dispute that if you wish but the bottom line is that we live in a federal where the states are unitary states. States can order municipalities not to do things and that's why in NJ the state can annex towns to other towns and dissolve the governing body, this is why a state can take over a school district, this is why a state can simply not permit a town to have jurisdiction over felony crimes (in NJ they are heard at state courts with each county having one) and so on.

Cletus
05-28-2017, 10:51 AM

I don't see this law as any different from any other law protecting historic buildings or other historical artifacts. The town I live in is over 400 years old. It played a key role in the history of the American Southwest. Many of the buildings, because of age, design, or historical significance are protected by law and cannot be torn down or altered.

This is just a variation of the same concept.

Good for Alabama.

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 10:57 AM
I don't see this law as any different from any other law protecting historic buildings or other historical artifacts. The town I live in is over 400 years old. It played a key role in the history of the American Southwest. Many of the buildings, because of age, design, or historical significance are protected by law and cannot be torn down or altered.

This is just a variation of the same concept.

Good for Alabama.

Over 40 years.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 12:10 PM
If I don't matter, then neither do you, for we are equal.
Right! Give that hayseed a cigar. A cheap one. He won't know the difference. lol

Mister D
05-28-2017, 12:11 PM
Lol, I grew up in Mississippi in the 70s. So I don't have a say now that I live in kansas? It's a free country dude, we are are all entitled to our opinions and even allowed to express them out loud, or matter how much you conservative types would like to silence us.

Now go back to your safe space and regroup.

You can express it all you want. Your opinion doesn't matter.

Captain Obvious
05-28-2017, 12:27 PM
It's a shame a law has to be passed.

Bedshitting snowflakes are worthless.

Standing Wolf
05-28-2017, 12:28 PM
I honestly don't see the basis for any legal challenge to the law, although I'd have to read the entire text of it, which I have not done yet, to know for sure.

Peter1469
05-28-2017, 12:38 PM

What level of scrutiny would such a law be looked at in Federal Court? There are three of them.

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 12:56 PM
What level of scrutiny would such a law be looked at in Federal Court? There are three of them.

Dunno - but we shall find out

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 12:57 PM

Nor does your opinion of OUR opinion. :cool2:

Peter1469
05-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Dunno - but we shall find out

I already know. The lowest.

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Your opinion is just as valid as the opinion of a white dude from New Jersey.

Exactly the point i just made - D's opinion of our opinion is also meaningless.

Sidenote: He admits to living in a lily white area and yet takes great pleasure at laughing at me in Boise ...

That would be the same Boise who has taken more black & brown Muslim refugees and immigrants per capita than any other American city. :laugh:

Don
05-28-2017, 01:02 PM
Next it will be about monuments to George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and.................

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 01:03 PM
I honestly don't see the basis for any legal challenge to the law, although I'd have to read the entire text of it, which I have not done yet, to know for sure.

You may be right .. we'll have to wait and see.

However, this means others would have a right to erect Union statues honoring prominent Abolitionists.

Private Pickle
05-28-2017, 01:06 PM
You may be right .. we'll have to wait and see.

However, this means others would have a right to erect Union statues honoring prominent Abolitionists.

They've always had that right. There are dozens of such statues...

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 01:12 PM
They've always had that right. There are dozens of such statues...

In the same proximity as the Confederate statues?

I'll need a link on that Pickles.

Private Pickle
05-28-2017, 01:15 PM
In the same proximity as the Confederate statues?

I'll need a link on that Pickles.

Same proximity? OK how far apart is that?

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 01:23 PM
Same proximity? OK how far apart is that?

Less than 20 miles .. does that work? ;-)

Private Pickle
05-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Less than 20 miles .. does that work? ;-)

Sure.

Memorial to Confederate Soldiers - Baltimore, Maryland. Mount Royal Avenue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monuments_and_memorials_of_the_Confederate _States_of_America

Frederick Douglass
Where: South Caroline Street and Philpot Street
A large bust of abolitionist Frederick Douglass sits outside the Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park. The park is on the site of the first African American-owned shipyard in the United States, where Douglass worked during his early years in Baltimore. Another Douglass monument is located on the campus of Morgan State University.

http://baltimore.org/ultimate-guide/statues-monuments-and-murals

Tons more like this...

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 01:37 PM
Sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monuments_and_memorials_of_the_Confederate _States_of_America

http://baltimore.org/ultimate-guide/statues-monuments-and-murals

Tons more like this...

Maryland has precisely THREE confederate memorials - a tiny fraction of what others further south show.

Maryland borders Pennsylvania and New Jersey .. not a deep south state in the slightest so it would make sense that they pay homage to both sides.

That said, i applaud your efforts!

Private Pickle
05-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Maryland has precisely THREE confederate memorials - a tiny fraction of what others further south show.

Maryland borders Pennsylvania and New Jersey .. not a deep south state in the slightest so it would make sense that they pay homage to both sides.

That said, i applaud your efforts!

So now you're saying that Northern States and Southern States have the right to erect whatever monuments they like, especially those that concern their heritage?

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Right! Give that hayseed a cigar. A cheap one. He won't know the difference. lol

Lol, and here I sit on my porch, taking break from yard work to have an iced tea and a Macanudo while seeing who has tried to insult me in the last hour or so.

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 01:44 PM

As previously stated if my opinion doesn't matter than neither does yours.

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 02:01 PM
So now you're saying that Northern States and Southern States have the right to erect whatever monuments they like, especially those that concern their heritage?

No, i would like to see all of them taken down and put into museums.

A statue of Lincoln or any other US President however would be very different.

But as long as we're talking states rights .. i have other concerns with regard to Jeff "Mandatory Minimums for Non-Violent Drug Offenders" Sessions.

Stay tuned.

Private Pickle
05-28-2017, 02:02 PM
No, i would like to see all of them taken down and put into museums.

A statue of Lincoln or any other US President however would be very different.

But as long as we're talking states rights .. i have other concerns with regard to Jeff "Mandatory Minimums for Non-Violent Drug Offenders" Sessions.

Stay tuned.
Not a fan of mandatory minimums myself.

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Not a fan of mandatory minimums myself.

Like your avatar - I have about a 3.5 foot diameter similar copper sun above my garage door that everyone likes lots.

I'll post a photo sometime .. it's been there 9 years and gets more awesome with age.

Private Pickle
05-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Like your avatar - I have about a 3.5 foot diameter similar copper sun above my garage door that everyone likes lots.

I'll post a photo sometime .. it's been there 9 years and gets more awesome with age.

It's the cover of a Sublime album.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Exactly the point i just made - D's opinion of our opinion is also meaningless.

Sidenote: He admits to living in a lily white area and yet takes great pleasure at laughing at me in Boise ...

That would be the same Boise who has taken more black & brown Muslim refugees and immigrants per capita than any other American city. :laugh:
I'm not trying to force my opinion on the peoples of the south. An obvious point missed by DGUtley no worries barrister

I laugh at the fact that you live in Boise because you feel compelled to remind everyone how awesome black people are and how much you love diversity. Obviously, there is some psychological tension there and I find it amusing. :grin:

Mister D
05-28-2017, 03:35 PM
Lol, and here I sit on my porch, taking break from yard work to have an iced tea and a Macanudo while seeing who has tried to insult me in the last hour or so.

lol Get a life, dude.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 03:36 PM
As previously stated if my opinion doesn't matter than neither does yours.

Right, genius! Give that man a cigar. A cheap one though. He won't know the difference. Deja vu...

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 04:08 PM
lol Get a life, dude.

Got one. Doesn't your life involve home maintenance and a quiet moment on the porch occasionally?

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 04:09 PM
Right, genius! Give that man a cigar. A cheap one though. He won't know the difference. Deja vu...

Getting repetitive D.

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Getting repetitive D.

Yep, this is the way D rolls .. gets old

Mister D
05-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Got one. Doesn't your life involve home maintenance and a quiet moment on the porch occasionally?
But it doesn't involve crying about (often imagined) insults on a message board. Seriously, get a life...or an argument. Something! :laugh:

Mister D
05-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Getting repetitive D.
Repeats his response. Calls me repetitive. lol Kansas...

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 04:17 PM
But it doesn't involve crying about (often imagined) insults on a message board. Seriously, get a life...or an argument. Something! :laugh:

Lol, so the cheap shot about cheap cigars wasn't meant to be insulting? Who knew!

Mister D
05-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Yep, this is the way D rolls .. gets old

So what have we learned, Bo? Your outrage over Confederate monuments is as meaningless as it is futile. Mind your business and stop trying to force your values on other people.

Wow that's gonna chap his ass...lol

Mister D
05-28-2017, 04:20 PM
Lol, so the cheap shot about cheap cigars wasn't meant to be insulting? Who knew!
You have been crying about "insults" for days now! :laugh: Every time someone shoots down one of your goofy claims down you cry "insult". Get a life...a pair...an argument. Something!

Mister D
05-28-2017, 04:22 PM
Oh Bo-4 I want to thank you for not tagging me on every fucking response. Thanks Bo-4 lol

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Repeats his response. Calls me repetitive. lol Kansas...

Wasn't nonsense. Gave the same response to the same lame comment.

resister
05-28-2017, 04:27 PM
You do understand that "the south" is not a separate country right? They lost that war. Like it or not you are Americans.Real Americans support the President!

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 04:28 PM
You have been crying about "insults" for days now! :laugh: Every time someone shoots down one of your goofy claims down you cry "insult". Get a life...a pair...an argument. Something!

Well was it or wasn't it? What is the above post if not an insult?

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Real Americans support the President!

Cool. Let me know when we get one.

resister
05-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Cool. Let me know when we get one.
You should leave the country and find one you fancy. C-ya!

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 04:39 PM
Oh @Bo-4 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1297) I want to thank you for not tagging me on every fucking response. Thanks @Bo-4 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1297) lol

Talk to hanger4 about that y'think? :rolleyes:

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 04:42 PM
You should leave the country and find one you fancy. C-ya!

I love my country. We need a president picked by the people, not an imposter picked by a foreign power.

resister
05-28-2017, 04:46 PM
I love my country. We need a president picked by the people, not an imposter picked by a foreign power.
The people have spoken, like it or not!

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 05:03 PM
The people have spoken, like it or not!

Yes, the people voted for the other candidate.

hanger4
05-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Talk to hanger4 about that y'think? :rolleyes:

Your tagged because you have a bad habit of ignoring.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 06:15 PM
Wasn't nonsense. Gave the same response to the same lame comment.
Wait...I tell you that your opinion in this matter is irrelevant, right? You then tell me that my opinion is irrelevant too. I say I agree. The whole point is that the people of the south will decide this for themselves. Now you call that lame? :laugh:

Mister D
05-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Yes, the people voted for the other candidate.
The popular vote and a $1 might get your girl a cup of coffee. :laugh:

Bethere
05-28-2017, 06:18 PM
The popular vote and a $1 might get your girl a cup of coffee. :laugh:

The electoral vote and $1 might get trump locked up.

Mister D
05-28-2017, 06:23 PM
He's too busy being POTUS. :laugh: Maybe you can give us some more expert analysis in 2020.

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Wait...I tell you that your opinion in this matter is irrelevant, right? You then tell me that my opinion is irrelevant too. I say I agree. The whole point is that the people of the south will decide this for themselves. Now you call that lame? :laugh:

Actually you are twisting things a bit. Or just misinterpreting which wouldn't exactly be a surprise.

Peter1469
05-28-2017, 06:42 PM

A foreign power didn't pick your president. The American people and the electoral college covered that.

You're welcome.

Russia is making you look like a fool, however.

Crepitus
05-28-2017, 06:55 PM
A foreign power didn't pick your president. The American people and the electoral college covered that.

You're welcome.

Russia is making you look like a fool, however.

You are incorrect sir

Peter1469
05-28-2017, 07:00 PM
no

prior to the election I said exactly what the Russians would do

I was correct

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 11:14 PM
I'm not trying to force my opinion on the peoples of the south. An obvious point missed by @DGUtley (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=2019) no worries barrister

I laugh at the fact that you live in Boise because you feel compelled to remind everyone how awesome black people are and how much you love diversity. Obviously, there is some psychological tension there and I find it amusing. :grin:

Funny, don't recall "reminding everyone how awesome black people are".

And Boise is one of about 5 cities where i've lived. My being here now has NOTHING to do from escaping them either.

Give it a rest ;-)

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Your tagged because you have a bad habit of ignoring.

I use threaded mode which to me is easiest for figuring out who's talking to whom (especially when people don't include an original quote - see Captain Obvious) ...

But probably a little harder to find responses to my posts.

And i don't mind being tagged - obviously it bothers Mister D.

LoL

Bo-4
05-28-2017, 11:24 PM

The Orange Gasbag Putin Puppet's days are numbered.

Good times!™ :D

http://www.intmensorg.info/images/trumpputdance.jpg