PDA

View Full Version : Saving Lives and Money: The Potential of Solar to Replace Coal

Dr. Who
06-02-2017, 06:45 PM
Date: June 1, 2017

Source: Michigan Technological University

Summary: By swapping solar photovoltaics for coal, the US could prevent 51,999 premature deaths a year, potentially making as much as $2.5 million for each life saved. A team has calculated US deaths per kilowatt hour per year for coal related to air pollution-related diseases associated with burning coal.Health ImpactsTens of thousands of Americans die prematurely each year from air pollution-related diseases associated with burning coal. By transitioning to solar photovoltaics (PV) in the US, up to 51,999 American lives would be saved at $1.1 million invested per life.

Snip ~

To fully replace all the coal production in the US with solar PV, it would take 755 gigawatts -- a significant increase compared to the 22.7 gigawatts of solar installed in the US currently. The total cost of installing that much solar power totals $1.5 trillion, but that investment is figured into Pearce and Prehoda's calculations, and is a profitable investment.As Pearce sums it up: "Solar has come down radically in cost, it's technically viable, and coupled with natural gas plants, other renewables and storage, we have ways to produce all the electricity we need without coal, period.
"https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170601133430.htm

Coal is such an 19th-century fuel. It's terrible for air quality and let's face it, working in coal mines shortens the lives of miners. It's just time to move forward with new technology and give up dirty fuel that harms so many people.

decedent
06-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Solar is one of the fastest growing industries -- 12 times faster than average economic growth. The demand is huge.

Common Sense
06-02-2017, 06:53 PM
Now the US could miss out on this and other lucrative industries.

MisterVeritis
06-02-2017, 07:30 PM
The free market will determine when the time is right to change from coal to something else. I assume you liberals have fully invested in solar.

MisterVeritis
06-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Solar is one of the fastest growing industries -- 12 times faster than average economic growth. The demand is huge.
End the subsidies and the demand will dry up.

Common
06-02-2017, 07:48 PM
Florida the sunshine state you would expect solar to be everywhere, its not and the reason is high cost. I called about putting solar hot water and a solar attic fan in, the price was over 10,000 I wouldnt get my money back in 3 lifetimes. Another good friend called another and the price for just solar hot water was 9800, his estimate was very recent within months, mine was older like 3 or 4 yrs ago.

In cold snow states they have a real problem with enough storage especially in winter, some states have far less sunny days than others. Personally I would love an alternative for electricity but I dont think solar will it any time soon.

del
06-02-2017, 07:51 PM
The free market will determine when the time is right to change from coal to something else. I assume you liberals have fully invested in solar.
coal's done

Dr. Who
06-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Florida the sunshine state you would expect solar to be everywhere, its not and the reason is high cost. I called about putting solar hot water and a solar attic fan in, the price was over 10,000 I wouldnt get my money back in 3 lifetimes. Another good friend called another and the price for just solar hot water was 9800, his estimate was very recent within months, mine was older like 3 or 4 yrs ago.

In cold snow states they have a real problem with enough storage especially in winter, some states have far less sunny days than others. Personally I would love an alternative for electricity but I dont think solar will it any time soon.
The California, Arizona and Nevada deserts are prime locations for massive solar farms since they rarely get rain. Buying solar panels on a large scale is far cheaper than it would be for an individual.

Common
06-02-2017, 08:20 PM
The California, Arizona and Nevada deserts are prime locations for massive solar farms since they rarely get rain. Buying solar panels on a large scale is far cheaper than it would be for an individual.
Yes but can those 3 locations service the entire country, how much would it cost to do that. Im thinking in terms of solar being a replacement

Safety
06-02-2017, 08:38 PM

But subsidies for fossils fuels are ok?

decedent
06-02-2017, 08:48 PM

I'm fine with that, after the coal subsidies end.

del
06-02-2017, 08:49 PM

different, the word is different

MisterVeritis
06-02-2017, 09:03 PM
We have a tax law. It should be uniform. If I install a new coal furnace in my house the government will not reimburse me five to six thousand dollars for installing it. But it will reimburse about one-fifth the cost of my solar installation. That is wrong.

MisterVeritis
06-02-2017, 09:04 PM
I'm fine with that, after the coal subsidies end.
Then join me in pressuring President Trump to simplify the tax laws and reduce our tax rates.

Company depreciation is not the same as giving homeowners money to install solar.

jimmyz
06-02-2017, 09:17 PM

Soros bought huge into coal in the past 12 months. What is that Leftist bastard up to?

del
06-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Soros bought huge into coal in the past 12 months. What is that Leftist bastard up to?

taking advantage of conservative asshats.

even the guys who own the coal mines know it's dead.

jimmyz
06-02-2017, 09:21 PM
taking advantage of conservative asshats.

even the guys who own the coal mines know it's dead.

Soros doesn't waste his money. Except on Blacklivesmatter and fomenting anarchy in the streets that is.

Dr. Who
06-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Yes but can those 3 locations service the entire country, how much would it cost to do that. Im thinking in terms of solar being a replacement

The OP is discussing a replacement for coal, which is only one part of the overall sources of electricity. You would still have hydro electric, nuclear, gas and other non-coal options.

del
06-02-2017, 09:39 PM
the last coal fired plant in new england closed thursday.

del
06-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Soros doesn't waste his money. Except on Blacklivesmatter and fomenting anarchy in the streets that is.

i've got no use for soros, but he knows how to make a buck off the terminally stupid.

Crepitus
06-02-2017, 09:50 PM

Need to shop around. Here is a conversion kit that plumbs directly into your existing hot water tank for around $700 with shipping.

You have to install it of course.

Crepitus
06-02-2017, 09:52 PM
The OP is discussing a replacement for coal, which is only one part of the overall sources of electricity. You would still have hydro electric, nuclear, gas and other non-coal options.

Nuclear plants are gonna be closing. They can't compete with cheap natural gas.

Dr. Who
06-02-2017, 10:24 PM

He's probably intending to ship it to countries still using coal.

jimmyz
06-02-2017, 11:07 PM
i've got no use for soros, but he knows how to make a buck off the terminally stupid.

The Chinese and other dirty coal burners. Which validates Trumps exiting Parisgate.

Common
06-03-2017, 01:29 AM

Here in fla they built a nuclear plant that has since closed and failed, thankfully it closed before there was a major mishap.

They built a gas fired plant, this back and forth with the nuclear plant and the gas plant when on for 3 yrs. Gas is cleaner but not as safe as coal.

I dislike coal fired electric plants because I lived near one and had a coat of black soot on my car my patio etc alot of the time.

In looking for an alternative I dont see solar or wind ever replacing fossil and natrual gas for electric generation on a grand scale. The storage for solar would be HUGE we have many years of battery
improvements till we get there.

Whats more than frustrating is the price of natural gas goes up and down right along side the price of fuel oil, WHY they are not even remotely close to being the same. Oil goes up your natural gas goes up.

Peter1469
06-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Now the US could miss out on this and other lucrative industries.

Bovine excrement. The free market will give us cleaner energy much faster than some international body can.

When the US said no to Kyoto the usual characters acted shocked. Yet, the US ended up reducing CO2 far more than what Kyoto called for.

And now we have insane leftists claiming Trump killed the earth.

Peter1469
06-03-2017, 06:44 AM
We have a tax law. It should be uniform. If I install a new coal furnace in my house the government will not reimburse me five to six thousand dollars for installing it. But it will reimburse about one-fifth the cost of my solar installation. That is wrong.

I disagree. It is a way to kick start new technology. Solar has tremendous potential. Game-changer level potential.

MisterVeritis
06-03-2017, 08:30 AM
I disagree. It is a way to kick start new technology. Solar has tremendous potential. Game-changer level potential.
It is a way to move taxpayer dollars from us to friends of the President. We do not need crony capitalism. The market will determine when the time is right to move to some other energy source. Government action always screws up markets.

If you think the time is right fo solar invest but leave me and my tax dollars out of your risky schemes.

Peter1469
06-03-2017, 08:42 AM
It is a way to move taxpayer dollars from us to friends of the President. We do not need crony capitalism. The market will determine when the time is right to move to some other energy source. Government action always screws up markets.

If you think the time is right fo solar invest but leave me and my tax dollars out of your risky schemes.
We can disagree.

We should always encourage scientific advancement.