PDA

View Full Version : tPF 75% of black California boys don’t meet state reading standards

Common
06-04-2017, 09:14 PM
This article is from the Liberal LA Times it is not a right wing hit piece from a blog.
Its not posted to denigrate blacks or to be racist. It is posted because its obviously a reality. The question is why. California is certainly the most progressive state, how could they be failing minority kids in such a big way. I realize this isnt unique to just california

Across ethnicities and economic status, girls outperform boys on English in standardized tests
Three of four African-American boys in California classrooms failed to meet reading and writing standards on the most recent round of testing, according to data obtained from the state Department of Education and analyzed by CALmatters.
More than half of black boys scored in the lowest category on the English portion of the test, trailing their female counterparts. The disparity reflects a stubbornly persistent gender gap in reading and writing scores that stretches across ethnic groups.

The data provide a unique glimpse of how gender interacts with race and class in mastery of basic reading, writing and listening skills tested on state exams. While California publishes separate figures on the performance of various ethnic and economic groups, it does not make public a more detailed breakdown of how boys and girls are performing within those groups. State officials say they do not sort the data that way because of complexity, cost and time constraints.
Unlike in math, where girls have caught up to boys in California and elsewhere, female students in general maintain a sizable lead over their male classmates in the language arts. While initiatives to encourage girls to learn math and science have received considerable publicity, the gender reading gap is viewed less as a problem warranting action.

“I wouldn’t put this in the same category of severity or concern as other achievement gaps,” said Tom Loveless, an education researcher for the Brookings Institution, a public policy think tank in Washington, D.C. “But there needs to be greater awareness of this.”
The gap spans all grade levels. Boys in high school score better than those in grade school, but girls outperform them by consistent margins at every age. And a higher family income does not appear to even things out.

What explains the poor scores? And why doesn’t the state provide more detailed data?

Certainly scores aren’t the only educational area in which black boys trail their peers. African-American boys are more likely to be suspended and drop out of school than other demographic groups, in California and elsewhere.
But the reading data is sobering. As early as fourth grade, for example, nearly 80 percent of black boys failed to meet state reading standards. Of all ethnic groups for which the state collects data, black boys trailed black girls by the widest margin.
“Part of this may be structural, in having texts that aren’t relevant to the experiences and legacy of African-American boys,” said Chris Chatmon, founding executive director of the African-American Male Achievement program at the Oakland Unified School District. “When a lot of the curriculum you have access to isn’t familiar, or doesn’t acknowledge your past or your present, you have a tendency not to be engaged with it or want to read it.”

http://www.dailynews.com/social-affairs/20170604/75-of-black-california-boys-dont-meet-state-reading-standards

Green Arrow
06-04-2017, 09:38 PM
California's school system sucks, is why. Part of that is because they made Tom Torlakson State Superintendent of Schools instead of Larry Aceves back in 2010.

Kalkin
06-04-2017, 10:16 PM
California is a liberal shithole of PC pandering being run into the ground by economic illiterates. The weather is nice, though.

Edit: Shit is banned? okay, poophole.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 10:19 PM
California's school system sucks, is why. Part of that is because they made Tom Torlakson State Superintendent of Schools instead of Larry Aceves back in 2010.

California spends a lot of money and if they're pissing it off with low education outcomes it makes one wonder what the liberal utopia is pissing off with the rest of their budget.

Kalkin
06-04-2017, 10:26 PM
California spends a lot of money and if they're pissing it off with low education outcomes it makes one wonder what the liberal utopia is pissing off with the rest of their budget.
High speed trains so lowlife losers can get back and forth between LA and SF.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 10:28 PM

Well yeah, that and retirement funds.

Like Greece I believe the vast majority of their debt is to their citizens.

Paying city administrators hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in salary and how many millions in off the charts rich retirement plans.

All to sit around and do nothing. Write restrictive laws and regulations I guess.

Dr. Who
06-04-2017, 10:31 PM
This article is from the Liberal LA Times it is not a right wing hit piece from a blog.
Its not posted to denigrate blacks or to be racist. It is posted because its obviously a reality. The question is why. California is certainly the most progressive state, how could they be failing minority kids in such a big way. I realize this isnt unique to just california

Across ethnicities and economic status, girls outperform boys on English in standardized tests
Three of four African-American boys in California classrooms failed to meet reading and writing standards on the most recent round of testing, according to data obtained from the state Department of Education and analyzed by CALmatters.
More than half of black boys scored in the lowest category on the English portion of the test, trailing their female counterparts. The disparity reflects a stubbornly persistent gender gap in reading and writing scores that stretches across ethnic groups.

The data provide a unique glimpse of how gender interacts with race and class in mastery of basic reading, writing and listening skills tested on state exams. While California publishes separate figures on the performance of various ethnic and economic groups, it does not make public a more detailed breakdown of how boys and girls are performing within those groups. State officials say they do not sort the data that way because of complexity, cost and time constraints.
Unlike in math, where girls have caught up to boys in California and elsewhere, female students in general maintain a sizable lead over their male classmates in the language arts. While initiatives to encourage girls to learn math and science have received considerable publicity, the gender reading gap is viewed less as a problem warranting action.

“I wouldn’t put this in the same category of severity or concern as other achievement gaps,” said Tom Loveless, an education researcher for the Brookings Institution, a public policy think tank in Washington, D.C. “But there needs to be greater awareness of this.”
The gap spans all grade levels. Boys in high school score better than those in grade school, but girls outperform them by consistent margins at every age. And a higher family income does not appear to even things out.

What explains the poor scores? And why doesn’t the state provide more detailed data?

Certainly scores aren’t the only educational area in which black boys trail their peers. African-American boys are more likely to be suspended and drop out of school than other demographic groups, in California and elsewhere.
But the reading data is sobering. As early as fourth grade, for example, nearly 80 percent of black boys failed to meet state reading standards. Of all ethnic groups for which the state collects data, black boys trailed black girls by the widest margin.
“Part of this may be structural, in having texts that aren’t relevant to the experiences and legacy of African-American boys,” said Chris Chatmon, founding executive director of the African-American Male Achievement program at the Oakland Unified School District. “When a lot of the curriculum you have access to isn’t familiar, or doesn’t acknowledge your past or your present, you have a tendency not to be engaged with it or want to read it.”

http://www.dailynews.com/social-affairs/20170604/75-of-black-california-boys-dont-meet-state-reading-standards
I think that part of it is that most primary school educators are female and boys do not learn as well from females as they do from males and vice versa. Male teachers get boys' attention better than females particularly in terms of discipline.

pragmatic
06-04-2017, 10:37 PM
But the good news is that "free health care" is in the plan.

So that should help if they can't get a job.

(glass half full....!!)

Ethereal
06-04-2017, 10:59 PM
They just need to spend more money on education. That's the ticket.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 11:00 PM

Unfortunately that's too often the left's approach to solving socioeconomic issues - throw money at it.

Kalkin
06-04-2017, 11:02 PM
Unfortunately that's too often the left's approach to solving socioeconomic issues - throw money at it.
OPM, that is.

Dr. Who
06-04-2017, 11:04 PM
But the good news is that "free health care" is in the plan.

So that should help if they can't get a job.

(glass half full....!!)

Which has nothing to do with the OP. Can't we discuss a topic without dragging in subject matter that doesn't even remotely relate?

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Until we as a society stop enabling not just black children but all children for that matter and tell them that being a dumb thug all your life isn't a cultural thing, it's an idiot thing then this issue will never be solved.

Ergo, it's never going to be solved because we as a society and with the endorsement of our former POTUS administration and BLM we tell black kids that it's ok to be a thug and if you get thumped by a cop for being an asshole then we have your back, and god damn liquor stores and college libraries.

Dr. Who
06-04-2017, 11:08 PM

So the topic is not worth really offering a considered opinion but just a partisan remark?

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 11:10 PM
So the topic is not worth really offering a considered opinion but just a partisan remark?

California is going to have to stop being a progressive cluster fuck.

That solves the problem, how do they get there?

Adelaide
06-04-2017, 11:14 PM
California is a liberal shithole of PC pandering being run into the ground by economic illiterates. The weather is nice, though.

Edit: Shit is banned? okay, poophole.

You can turn the filter off in your personal settings.

As for the topic... California seems to be applying the same logic as most places - keep throwing money in the dumpster fire. The entire system needs to be overhauled, universally, because American students have fallen behind quite terribly. Politicians keep sending more tax money for education and it is not helping. Time to go study the Finns, or something. There is no reason why Americans should be paying more and more money for a continually worsening result.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 11:17 PM
You can turn the filter off in your personal settings.

As for the topic... California seems to be applying the same logic as most places - keep throwing money in the dumpster fire. The entire system needs to be overhauled, universally, because American students have fallen behind quite terribly. Politicians keep sending more tax money for education and it is not helping. Time to go study the Finns, or something. There is no reason why Americans should be paying more and more money for a continually worsening result.

The US is not Finland.

I think at this point the bottom is going to have to completely fall out for anything to ever happen from a change and improve respect.

Adelaide
06-04-2017, 11:18 PM
Well yeah, that and retirement funds.

Like Greece I believe the vast majority of their debt is to their citizens.

Paying city administrators hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in salary and how many millions in off the charts rich retirement plans.

All to sit around and do nothing. Write restrictive laws and regulations I guess.

Anecdotal, but at Christmas dinner the topic of liberal US states joining Canada came up. We all felt that the US should keep California, but we'd take Alaska, Oregon and Washington... :)

California definitely seems to be one of the worst states in terms of the money they spend versus the actual results. It's only going to get worse if they do pursue a single payer healthcare system. I also have to wonder how they'll be effected by illegal immigration reforms. I really would not want to live in California.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Anecdotal, but at Christmas dinner the topic of liberal US states joining Canada came up. We all felt that the US should keep California, but we'd take Alaska, Oregon and Washington... :)

California definitely seems to be one of the worst states in terms of the money they spend versus the actual results. It's only going to get worse if they do pursue a single payer healthcare system. I also have to wonder how they'll be effected by illegal immigration reforms. I really would not want to live in California.

I had job opportunities on the west coast that I turned down because ultimately I didn't want to live there.

Alaska is a deal killer. Take New York, and Vermont. Maine and New Hampshire stay.

Adelaide
06-04-2017, 11:22 PM
The US is not Finland.

I think at this point the bottom is going to have to completely fall out for anything to ever happen from a change and improve respect.

I am not suggesting that you implement the Finnish system as is, but learn from the systems of successful nations. Japan would be another place, if I remember right. Just evaluate what they are doing to be successful and see how it can be applied in the American system for American children. Try pilot programs to see what works before making major changes. There has to be a way to change the system and improve outcomes without waiting for the entire system to just collapse. That's a waste of time, money and people.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 11:24 PM
I am not suggesting that you implement the Finnish system as is, but learn from the systems of successful nations. Japan would be another place, if I remember right. Just evaluate what they are doing to be successful and see how it can be applied in the American system for American children. Try pilot programs to see what works before making major changes. There has to be a way to change the system and improve outcomes without waiting for the entire system to just collapse. That's a waste of time, money and people.

We, collectively, don't learn, "we" are herded by special interests.

If big pharma isn't making a killing on the arrangement they're pulling their financial support for existing candidates.

Dr. Who
06-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Until we as a society stop enabling not just black children but all children for that matter and tell them that being a dumb thug all your life isn't a cultural thing, it's an idiot thing then this issue will never be solved.

Ergo, it's never going to be solved because we as a society and with the endorsement of our former POTUS administration and BLM we tell black kids that it's ok to be a thug and if you get thumped by a cop for being an asshole then we have your back, and god damn liquor stores and college libraries.
I think that the issue is more complicated than that. Anytime that you are dealing with children from lower economic groups you have complex issues that you don't have with kids who are better off. Those issues include nutrition, discipline at home and the ability of parents to encourage and help in the education process. This isn't something new. It has existed since public education has existed. We just have more people and bigger cities now. Perhaps if boys are performing less well in these situations, it's because they have no male role models. Perhaps the solution is to place boys who have no role models into classes with male teachers. Boys on average do less well with literature and spelling etcetera than math, particularly in the lower grades. Getting them interested in reading involves assigning material that interests them. In a mixed class of females and males, it's hard to find material that interests both equally. Perhaps the solution is to split males and females in the early grades so that each benefit from material and teaching modes that reach each gender best.

Captain Obvious
06-04-2017, 11:27 PM
One thing we do as a species very well is over engineer the fuck out of everything.

If it's virtually impossible to define "success" and "failure" that's job security.

Who's going to tell these California progressive institutionalized bedwetters that they need to do things differently?

Nobody, as long as there's debt capacity.

The Xl
06-04-2017, 11:35 PM
That's a shame and completely unnecessary.

Common
06-05-2017, 05:11 AM
Thats what I do not understand they spend a FORTUNE on schools, im not saying NY or anywhere is any better. This legitimate article just happened to be California.

I read an article recently by a professor self admitted progressive, who said that public schools from elementary to highschool spent to much effort and time on socializing children instead of teaching them life needs. He said teachers do not have the time to do both, they have made curriculums impossible to follow adding just to much to cover.

He had mentioned california and said a big problem there is the language barrier. A teachers spends alot of time trying to get past that while trying to teach a class.

If what he is saying has merit than the schools that have these issues need to toss out their curriculums and create more realistic ones that meet academic needs and not social engineering needs.

Foootnote: I am not an expert

Common
06-05-2017, 05:23 AM
I think that the issue is more complicated than that. Anytime that you are dealing with children from lower economic groups you have complex issues that you don't have with kids who are better off. Those issues include nutrition, discipline at home and the ability of parents to encourage and help in the education process. This isn't something new. It has existed since public education has existed. We just have more people and bigger cities now. Perhaps if boys are performing less well in these situations, it's because they have no male role models. Perhaps the solution is to place boys who have no role models into classes with male teachers. Boys on average do less well with literature and spelling etcetera than math, particularly in the lower grades. Getting them interested in reading involves assigning material that interests them. In a mixed class of females and males, it's hard to find material that interests both equally. Perhaps the solution is to split males and females in the early grades so that each benefit from material and teaching modes that reach each gender best.
Dr Who what youve said is absolutely true and I saw those issues first hand when I worked in an alternative school. Kids just hadnt learned basic skills from parents on common decency, courtesy etc. Some kids came to school hungry, I used to send one of my guys and buy them McDonalds to give them something.

The question is WHY is this still an issue in 2017, shouldnt the few generations of socializing had any affect on the younger parents ? Its apparent that schools have been failing for a long long time and nothing has changed. I could see this problem being real in the 60s, 70s but weve had generations of parents since then that should have learned bettter.

Dr Who were talking 75% of black male youths thats huge. I wish I could get the true numbers from all state public schools and see if this is a targeted problem in the USA and not insidious to all public schools

No matter what is the cause, we should have found it and did at least some fixing to it.
My daughter is a Vice Principal in a mostly minority High School I get first hand knowledge of what happens in that school.

Her take is its a school board problem, school boards with elected officials that are not educators and School Superintendents with personal agendas. I dont know if thats how all schools are set up.

This is a total disgrace and a major failure on the part of the system. If you cant read you are SCREWED in life.

Doc I never graduated the 8th grade formally, I lived in and went to a majority minority schools. I could READ pretty damn good by the 7th grade and so did most kids I went to school with. Something changed for the WORST and I believe its social engineering.

School days are the same hours today as they were when I was a kid, they didnt socially engineer us. They do today stands to reason and makes perfect sense that social engineering takes away from LEARNING the basics you need to live your life and be prosperous

Common
06-05-2017, 05:54 AM
I think that part of it is that most primary school educators are female and boys do not learn as well from females as they do from males and vice versa. Male teachers get boys' attention better than females particularly in terms of discipline.
That I do not believe has one ounce of validity, when I was in school the lionshare of teachers were women and only the gym teachers male and we learned alot better than these kids do today.

Archer0915
06-05-2017, 07:03 AM
My male teachers:

9th Shop
9th Science
10th Biology
10th Shop

In School Suspension.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 07:13 AM
Ending welfare programs that replace at home fathers with a government check could solve this problem.

Plus we have been importing the dumbest black and brown third worlders we can since 1970.

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 07:53 AM

they have to keep a certain number of people under-educated so they wont realize they're gonna take a beating on taxes

Bethere
06-05-2017, 07:57 AM
Ending welfare programs that replace at home fathers with a government check could solve this problem.

Plus we have been importing the dumbest black and brown third worlders we can since 1970.

Wow.

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 08:01 AM
It's the LA Daily News not the LA Times (not liberal) but i did enjoy how they referred to African American males as "black boys" again and again and again :wink:

Captain Obvious
06-05-2017, 08:02 AM
It's the LA Daily News not the LA Times (not liberal) but i did enjoy how they referred to African American males as "black boys" again and again and again :wink:

Here it is again, PC idiocy.

What do they call them then? Puppies?

Bethere

Yep. Serious racial overtones there!

MisterVeritis
Are they not black? Are they not boys?

Captain Obvious
06-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Are they not black? Are they not boys?

Raisinettes

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Raisinettes

That was SO bad i had to laugh :laugh:

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 08:44 AM

No offense, but that's a ridiculous statement.

The failures of our publuc education systems across the country have nothing to do with the gender of the teacher.

Common
06-05-2017, 08:51 AM
Yep. Serious racial overtones there!
Please thats the liberal rhetoric that makes people think they are as phony as it gets.

Common
06-05-2017, 08:57 AM
Everything in LA is liberal or it does not survive, the entertainer liberal puker cabal would eliminate them
Listen bo, since before I was born, boys were boys, girls were girls and if you are being specific about a group you have to identify them. HENCE, White Boys, White Girls, Black Boys Black girls, Italian Boys, Italian Girls, Puerto Rican Boys Puerto Rican Girls

You nitpicking liberal hacks are what has made the word racist and the race card obsolete

Green Arrow
06-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Everything in LA is liberal or it does not survive, the entertainer liberal puker cabal would eliminate them
Listen bo, since before I was born, boys were boys, girls were girls and if you are being specific about a group you have to identify them. HENCE, White Boys, White Girls, Black Boys Black girls, Italian Boys, Italian Girls, Puerto Rican Boys Puerto Rican Girls

You nitpicking liberal hacks are what has made the word racist and the race card obsolete

Everything in L.A. is not liberal. Most of it is, but not all of it.

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 09:20 AM

Y'but gross generalizations are kind of a thing with Common.

There's been some great California bashing going on around here lately.

Pretty sure Jerry Brown's trip to China got under their skin ;-)

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 09:22 AM

The failures of our publuc education systems across the country have nothing to do with the gender of the teacher.
The problems of achievement are student problems. Find better students.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Not at all. Maybe he will give us a reason to hang him. Wouldn't that be cool? Brown is in collusion with the Communist Chinese. Now that the Obama regime has made it acceptable for one political party to use the intelligence community to spy on the other we may uncover some serious crimes. I like it. Don't you?

Abby08
06-05-2017, 09:27 AM

This goes way back before 2010, it isn't something that just, "popped up." Schools have been passing students for years, without even the basics being known, students are graduating without knowing how to read, do basic math, speak properly, even. This isn't exclusive to California, I believe it's nationwide.

Green Arrow
06-05-2017, 09:28 AM
This goes way back before 2010, it isn't something that just, "popped up." Schools have been passing students for years, without even the basics being known, students are graduating without knowing how to read, do basic math, speak properly, even. This isn't exclusive to California, I believe it's nationwide.

That's why I said "part of it" - they had a chance to fix it.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 09:30 AM
Without a permanent underclass who would vote for Democrats? Who runs the schools? Unions. Who runs the unions? Democrats.

Abby08
06-05-2017, 09:31 AM

I agree, people are always so eager to blame the teachers, what amount of blame is placed on the students? If kids are going to school, for reasons other than learning, why place the blame on the teachers?

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Not at all. Maybe he will give us a reason to hang him. Wouldn't that be cool? Brown is in collusion with the Communist Chinese. Now that the Obama regime has made it acceptable for one political party to use the intelligence community to spy on the other we may uncover some serious crimes. I like it. Don't you?

Brown in collusion with the Commie Chinese?
:laughing9:

You're hilarious - Hey, figure out how to eliminate 1.5 billion adherents to Islam yet?

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 09:34 AM

those that are conservatives are shouted down or threatened...nice job, CA
CA is a liberal stronghold, conservatives do not have a voice.................

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 09:35 AM
:laughing9:

You're hilarious - Hey, figure out how to eliminate 1.5 billion adherents to Islam yet?

we'll deal with that after we deal with the 16,000 black deaths daily by white folks

Abby08
06-05-2017, 09:35 AM
That's why I said "part of it" - they had a chance to fix it.

What, do you consider, "fixing it?" Pour more money into it? All the money in the world, can't fix a thing, if the students are the same. Maybe, boot out all the kids who didn't come to learn, but, to cause trouble and disrupt the classroom so the teachers can't teach the kids who WANT to learn.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 09:36 AM

Because you are either foolish or stupid you misstate the problem. In your case, it could be both.
I considered suggesting you reread the thread. However, in your case, it would waste your time. You must have a certain amount of intelligence...and you don't measure up. Do you?

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 09:37 AM

What do you believe Brown is doing in Communist China? Sight seeing?

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 09:38 AM
we'll deal with that after we deal with the 16,000 black deaths daily by white folks
Even on a good day, the white abortionists cannot kill 16,000 black babies.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 09:42 AM
What, do you consider, "fixing it?" Pour more money into it? All the money in the world, can't fix a thing, if the students are the same. Maybe, boot out all the kids who didn't come to learn, but, to cause trouble and disrupt the classroom so the teachers can't teach the kids who WANT to learn.
Besides, how much education, including reading skills, is required for someone bound for prison, welfare for life, or both?

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 09:53 AM
What do you believe Brown is doing in Communist China? Sight seeing?

He's reassuring them that not everyone in this country is as ignorant as our POTUS when it comes to Paris Accord, climate change and alternative energy.

Trump likely colluded with murderous Fascist Putin to swing the election .. but that criminal collusion is A-ok apparently.

As for your brilliant concept of destroying every mosque and killing every Imam?

:biglaugh:

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 09:56 AM
those that are conservatives are shouted down or threatened...nice job, CA
CA is a liberal stronghold, conservatives do not have a voice.................

Progs have no voice in about 20 bright red states - so quit bitching about California.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 10:06 AM
He's reassuring them that not everyone in this country is as ignorant as our POTUS when it comes to Paris Accord, climate change and alternative energy.

I suppose Brown wants to convince the Communist Chinese he is far more gullible than Trump. He could have saved his time. We already know Brown is gullible.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 10:07 AM
Trump likely colluded with murderous Fascist Putin to swing the election .. but that criminal collusion is A-ok apparently.

If any evidence had been discovered it would have leaked by now. Lying about collusion seems to be okay. You do it daily.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 10:08 AM
As for your brilliant concept of destroying every mosque and killing every Imam?

We agree. It is a brilliant plan. It can work but it must be done in a very short time.

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Even on a good day, the white abortionists cannot kill 16,000 black babies.

the original assault stated that 16,000 blacks are murdered by whites with guns.......DAILY.....you can't possibly believe anything else that comes out of that lying mouth.....

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 10:25 AM
the original assault stated that 16,000 blacks are murdered by whites with guns.......DAILY.....you can't possibly believe anything else that comes out of that lying mouth.....
I believe the perp was simply mistaken. :grin:

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 10:26 AM
I believe the perp was simply mistaken. :grin:

yeah..but he'd never fess up to such a ridiculously stupid statement

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 10:27 AM

Who made that claim?

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Who made that claim?

Bo-4 or BeThere.....twins are hard to separate

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Bo-4

I made NO such claim - please stop attributing it to me.

Bethere
06-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Bo-4

Lmfao.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Ok..... Now I remember that. I also remember that he didn't have the guts to admit that he made a mistake.

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 10:35 AM
Lmfao.

Poor Jimmy - still in meltdown mode over that one! :wink:

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Bo-4 or BeThere.....twins are hard to separate

I'm pretty sure it was Bo-4. I wish I could remeber the thread just to put it back out there for him to deny again.

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Poor Jimmy - still in meltdown mode over that one! :wink:

when one of you racist make such an outlandish claim in order to make your self look good, and it being so over the top...a lie of this size cannot be taken lightly.
You want a war you cannot win. and you'll do anything to start it. lie, cheat steal....

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty sure it was Bo-4. I wish I could remeber the thread just to put it back out there for him to deny again.
I'm pretty sure it was B0-4 as well..he'll still deny it in the face of the truth... even if you confront him with it, he'll just say Trump posted it

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty sure it was B0-4 as well..he'll still deny it in the face of the truth... even if you confront him with it, he'll just say Trump posted it

Then link me using the advance search feature.

You and Tahu need a room apparently with your silly "pretty sure" crap ;-)

Bethere
06-05-2017, 10:44 AM

You guys are wrong about pretty much everything.

Bo is innocent.

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 10:45 AM

uh, huh..............sure...................roflmao

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 10:45 AM

Does that mean you are taking credit for the stupid comment?

Bethere
06-05-2017, 10:51 AM

No, I didn't make it either. But I am the one you guys mistakenly claimed made it. For my part? At the time I thanked the poster who brought it to my attention IMMEDIATELY.

I think that three different people have been infracted for dragging this dead issue across threads through both space and time.

So, be careful.

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 10:52 AM

or maybe B0-4 will come clean.......but I wouldn't count on either one of them to fess up

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Tahuyaman
both are known liars...it doesn't matter one of them said it and will never admit it...............at least they're consistent liars

Bo-4
06-05-2017, 11:01 AM
No, I didn't make it either. But I am the one you guys mistakenly claimed made it. For my part? At the time I thanked the poster who brought it to my attention IMMEDIATELY.

I think that three different people have been infracted for dragging this dead issue across threads through both space and time.

So, be careful.

Seeing how it bugs them so much and has resulted in much amusement across multiple threads through space and time?

I'll take credit - but one correction: 32,000 blacks are killed by whites each day!

:rofl:

Bethere
06-05-2017, 11:01 AM
@Tahuyaman (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1365)
both are known liars...it doesn't matter one of them said it and will never admit it...............at least they're consistent liars
Lol.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 11:04 AM

So, be careful.

No, I clearly remember Bo-4 as the one who made the erroneous claim. I never claimed it was you.

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 11:05 AM
ma bad...I always get the twins mixed up

No, I clearly remember Bo-4 as the one who made the erroneous claim. I never claimed it was you.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Seeing how it bugs them so much and has resulted in much amusement across multiple threads through space and time?

I'll take credit - but one correction: 32,000 blacks are killed by whites each day!

:rofl:

Literally doubling down on the stupidity.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 11:10 AM
ma bad...I always get the twins mixed up

That's understandable.

resister
06-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Literally doubling down on the stupidity.
It's a liberal thing, look at Griffin!

Bethere
06-05-2017, 11:11 AM

Wow.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 11:12 AM

Wow.

wow what?

Kalkin
06-05-2017, 11:13 AM
wow what?
Some people just babble to hear the sound of their own voice.

Bethere
06-05-2017, 11:14 AM
wow what?

Your memory is obviously damaged. Bo is innocent.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Your memory is obviously damaged. Bo is innocent.

He just doubled down on it. Of course he'll make some stupid excuse for that one too.

Still the comment you responded to with a "wow" was me telling you that I never claimed you were the one who made the comment to begin with.

Peter1469
06-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Wow.

It is a good idea.

Peter1469
06-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Public schools started to dumb down in the 1950s.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 12:48 PM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MisterVeritis http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=2046081#post2046081)

Wow.
I am glad you liked it.

Common
06-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Ok most

Common
06-05-2017, 02:05 PM

Get back on the topic and it wasnt a gross exaggeration, bo youre the king of exaggerations , you cant get around this being a legitimate story so your trying to distract blame the messenger ::)

Peter1469
06-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Get government out of the way. IQ is only one factor. Drive is much more important. People with average IQ (100) and drive will be much more successful than brights who have no ambition.

Common
06-05-2017, 02:09 PM
DOES ANYONE have anything to add to the actual thread, So far only two people offered genuine thoughts, Dr WHo and Green Arrow.

Anyone else ??

Peter1469
06-05-2017, 02:10 PM
bump
Get government out of the way. IQ is only one factor. Drive is much more important. People with average IQ (100) and drive will be much more successful than brights who have no ambition.

jimmyz
06-05-2017, 02:43 PM
Until the black community & student peers put as much value on academic accomplishment and less on achievement in sport and rap sub-culture we will continue seeing these numbers. A good black student is sometimes ostracized by their peers. It's not cool to do well in school in some parts of town.

Mister D
06-05-2017, 02:49 PM
There has been a decline in human capital. It is what it is.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 02:52 PM
DOES ANYONE have anything to add to the actual thread, So far only two people offered genuine thoughts, Dr WHo and Green Arrow.

Anyone else ??
What the hell do you think this is?

http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MisterVeritis http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=2046081#post2046081)

Ethereal
06-05-2017, 03:04 PM

You realize someone can be critical of failed Democrat policies without being partisan, right?

Ethereal
06-05-2017, 03:08 PM

America's solution to the education problem is school choice, which meshes well with American culture, i.e., using markets to solve problems. Unfortunately, Democrats have been obstructing the process every step of the way on behalf of teachers unions who are profiting off of the present system. The Democrat solution is always raise taxes, pile on more regulations, and throw money at it. Incidentally, a lot of that money goes right back to the Democrat party in the form of donations and contributions.

Mister D
06-05-2017, 03:16 PM
America's solution to the education problem is school choice, which meshes well with American culture, i.e., using markets to solve problems. Unfortunately, Democrats have been obstructing the process every step of the way on behalf of teachers unions who are profiting off of the present system. The Democrat solution is always raise taxes, pile on more regulations, and throw money at it. Incidentally, a lot of that money goes right back to the Democrat party in the form of donations and contributions.
Don't forget stupid shit like this:

Abby08
06-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Anyone else ??

Well, excuse the shit outta me!! I thought I had done that..... I won't anymore.

Ethereal
06-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Don't forget stupid $#@! like this:
Not only is it stupid, it's somewhat racist. "Soft bigotry of low expectations" comes to mind.

Ethereal
06-05-2017, 03:23 PM

Anyone else ??

My thoughts were genuine. The Democrats who run California will just keep doing what they always do: Throw more tax money at it. And as Mister D alluded to, they will also try to make grades look better by lowering standards and expectations. It may not be a deep examination of the issue, but it cuts right to the heart of the problem.

Don
06-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Everything they touch...Them and their establishment counterpart RINO's. A long time ago the vast majority of kids learned to read with no problems. The very few who had trouble were used as an excuse to "stop failing our kids" and spend more money! You need more federal dollars (probably created out of thin air and devaluing existing dollars.) Over the years more kids started to have problems so they spent more money. At some point sane people would figure out it isn't really under funding that's the problem. Its the system that has failed and oh what an expensive system it is.

The same thing happened with our healthcare system when the government got involved in a big way in 1965 with medicare. They sold people then with the excuse that it would be a "safety net" for the very very few people who they say fell through the cracks. They sold it with the promise that it would only cost us a tiny amount of money. Those were the days when there really wasn't any health insurance. People could afford a doctor. Hospital bills didn't bankrupt you. People with assets took out catastrophe type insurance policies that didn't cost them an arm and a leg in case of severe injury or illness. People without assets weren't denied treatment. Hospitals were mostly non profits and county hospitals and clinics with local churches and private benefactors helping them cover the costs for treating the poorer people. Look what that monstrosity has morphed into today and what it costs us and say with a straight face that more people now can't afford healthcare than in 1965 and the huge price they pay for a crappy program.

The Xl
06-05-2017, 04:19 PM
A lot of average to good kids and students are absolutely corrupted by the bad ones in these schools, they never get a shot. Something needs to be done about that, I don't know if more or less money needs to be spent on it, but that's the problem. Separate the decent kids from the violent and disruptive morons in these schools.

texan
06-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Spend more money and blame the right wingers from holding California from not being far enough left.. This should get everything on track.

jimmyz
06-05-2017, 04:44 PM
A lot of average to good kids and students are absolutely corrupted by the bad ones in these schools, they never get a shot. Something needs to be done about that, I don't know if more or less money needs to be spent on it, but that's the problem. Separate the decent kids from the violent and disruptive morons in these schools.

School vouchers.... but nooooooooo says the leftist politicians and school board members.

Dr. Who
06-05-2017, 05:02 PM

Male and female teachers teach differently. It has been proven in a number of studies that boys do better in elementary school classes when they are taught by males.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/boys-do-better-when-they-are-taught-by-men-study-finds-946109.html
http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=14972

Dr. Who
06-05-2017, 05:05 PM
My male teachers:

9th Shop
9th Science
10th Biology
10th Shop

In School Suspension.
Perhaps you wouldn't have been suspended if you had more male teachers.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 05:06 PM
School vouchers.... but nooooooooo says the leftist politicians and school board members.

Allow the achievers the opportunity to receive an education.

MisterVeritis
06-05-2017, 05:19 PM
Is it time to completely rethink public education? Why should anyone "go to school"?

Should we allow, even encourage parents to design an education program appropriate for their children? Should we have a range of options from free to paid to allow everyone the education they can afford and prefer? Should we use testing services to determine skill levels?

Should we end public schools entirely? I think so.

Dr. Who
06-05-2017, 05:23 PM
You realize someone can be critical of failed Democrat policies without being partisan, right?
Sure, if you actually take the effort to address those policies that you see as failing and why they may be failing. It's easy to say because welfare, because throwing good money after bad, because Democrat policies. It would make for a very short thread.

By all means make your criticisms, but a little analysis of the underlying issues contributing to that failure from more than just an economic perspective would make for a more interesting dialogue.

Dr. Who
06-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Not only is it stupid, it's somewhat racist. "Soft bigotry of low expectations" comes to mind.

Of course it is. It's utter nonsense because those same kids watch mainstream television and movies. They are not just new arrivals to America coming from cultural isolation with a language barrier. I see it as making jobs for people who have a vested interest in selling their services to government and they really don't care if the policies that they advocate are destructive. More emperor's new clothes. There are too many vested interests offering dubious advice to government regardless of stripe.

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 05:49 PM
Sure, if you actually take the effort to address those policies that you see as failing and why they may be failing. It's easy to say because welfare, because throwing good money after bad, because Democrat policies. It would make for a very short thread.

By all means make your criticisms, but a little analysis of the underlying issues contributing to that failure from more than just an economic perspective would make for a more interesting dialogue.

thus, No Child Left Behind................who are the losers and winners?

Dr. Who
06-05-2017, 06:06 PM
thus, No Child Left Behind................who are the losers and winners?
I'm not sure where you got that from my post. However, I don't think leaving children behind should be a goal. The reality is that some children will be left behind. That's just a statistical factor. How many get left behind can be affected by the approach to education. Certainly graduating kids that have not mastered the material will ensure that they are ultimately left behind when it comes time to compete on a level playing field so it's really doing kids a disservice justified by psychobabble about not making children feel badly about not doing well. What it does do is increase the trauma when they realize that they are functionally illiterate when they finally graduate and have no prospects for employment and it ensures that lazy teachers don't have to be held accountable for not ensuring that the bulk of the children in their classes are learning the material. That doesn't mean that different strategies can't be employed to change a terrible dynamic that has been going from bad to worse for a long time.

stjames1_53
06-05-2017, 06:10 PM
No Child Left behind was intended for equalization for the sake of appearances. You're right, it served no useful purpose... and used by education systems as a means to get a hold of more fed dollars they can waste

The Xl
06-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Allow the achievers the opportunity to receive an education.

It doesn't need to just be achievers......C+ to B students who are decent people and not disruptive deserve a fair shot as well.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 06:19 PM
It doesn't need to just be achievers......C+ to B students who are decent people and not disruptive deserve a fair shot as well.

In some circles those are achievers too.

Dr. Who
06-05-2017, 06:40 PM
In some circles those are achievers too.
Grades per se are not always determiners of success. Some people who are actually geniuses are just bored to death in school and get bad grades. Others who don't perform at an A level in primary school go on to excel later on. Sometimes it's just about interest. Kids are easily distracted and little boys often have too much energy. There is a reason that PE was always mandatory. It was to suck up all of that excess energy at the primary school level and later to encourage discipline at the more senior levels of school, not to mention the fact that physically active kids learn better. Kids really don't get enough exercise these days. The ones that do, have well-off parents who pay to have their children exercised as one might do with a thoroughbred horse. We are raising generations of couch potatoes.

Mister D
06-05-2017, 06:44 PM

The US spends generously on education. We also spend more than some other nations who receive a significantly better return on their investment. Whatever the problem is it's not a matter of spending. There is no question about that.

Ethereal
06-05-2017, 06:48 PM
The US spends generously on education. We also spend more than some other nations who receive a significantly better return on their investment. Whatever the problem is it's not a matter of spending. There is no question about that.
Why do you hate children though?

Peter1469
06-05-2017, 06:48 PM
We need to steer people into the trades such as electricity, plumbing, and construction.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Quality education isn't defined by the amount of dollars spent.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 06:57 PM
We need to steer people into the trades such as electricity, plumbing, and constriction.

Sometimes I feel constricted.

Peter1469
06-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Me too.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Grades per se are not always determiners of success. Some people who are actually geniuses are just bored to death in school and get bad grades. Others who don't perform at an A level in primary school go on to excel later on. Sometimes it's just about interest. Kids are easily distracted and little boys often have too much energy. There is a reason that PE was always mandatory. It was to suck up all of that excess energy at the primary school level and later to encourage discipline at the more senior levels of school, not to mention the fact that physically active kids learn better. Kids really don't get enough exercise these days. The ones that do, have well-off parents who pay to have their children exercised as one might do with a thoroughbred horse. We are raising generations of couch potatoes.

Thats why I said that sometimes the C and B students can be achievers too.

Mister D
06-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Quality education isn't defined by the amount of dollars spent.

Oh, I agree. That said, US taxpayers couldn't be faulted in any case. We spend quite generously.

Don
06-05-2017, 07:52 PM
We need to steer people into the trades such as electricity, plumbing, and construction.

And robot manufacturing and maintenance.

Starman
06-05-2017, 08:06 PM

Hey, what's fifty BILLION tax dollars to make Democrats feel environmentally and intellectually superior.....

Starman
06-05-2017, 08:08 PM
The US spends generously on education. /// Whatever the problem is it's not a matter of spending. There is no question about that.

The correlation between spending and educational achievement is NEGATIVE!

"In 1950, we spent (in 1989 dollars) $1,333 per student. In 1989 we spent $4931. As John Silber, the President of Boston University, has written, 'It is troubling that this nearly fourfold increase in real spending has brought no improvement. It is scandalous that it has not prevented substantial decline.' " - William J. Bennett, former Secretary of Education, in The De-Valuing of America

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wwWx2gzpu4o/V8sN00LlQbI/AAAAAAAAVZI/X0iaaO8BfgcbdxSg8l6xBSZ5WWMOGoC0QCLcB/s400/2014-08-19-9cc8b479.jpg

If you can't infuriate a Democrat, you haven't said anything useful or honest.

Captain Obvious
06-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Hey, what's fifty BILLION tax dollars to make Democrats feel environmentally and intellectually superior.....

This is where someone chimes in again with the theory that Cali pays more to the feds that they get back but ignores the fact that this shit is being pissed away with somebodies tax dollars.

Mister D
06-05-2017, 08:15 PM
This is where someone chimes in again with the theory that Cali pays more to the feds that they get back but ignores the fact that this $#@! is being pissed away with somebodies tax dollars.
What that has to do with CA spending way too much money is anyone's guess. It's as if they wouldn't be bankrupt if they broke even with the feds. Who could have imagined that importing millions of grade school educated migrants might become a serious budgetary issue at some point?

Captain Obvious
06-05-2017, 08:18 PM
What that has to do with CA spending way too much money is anyone's guess. It's as if they wouldn't be bankrupt if they broke even with the feds. Who could have imagined that importing millions of grade school educated migrants might become a serious budgetary issue at some point?

Well, yeah then after they drop out of high school they have an uber-rich MediCal Medicaid program to cover them and generous welfare benefits.

All the while they're paying state and local administrators outrageous salaries and benefits to do nothing.

What an absolute clusterfuck this state is.

Mister D
06-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Well, yeah then after they drop out of high school they have an uber-rich MediCal Medicaid program to cover them and generous welfare benefits.

All the while they're paying state and local administrators outrageous salaries and benefits to do nothing.

What an absolute cluster$#@! this state is.
It's a disaster. Now the white imbeciles who wrecked the state are moving out to wreak havoc somewhere else.

Cthulhu
06-05-2017, 09:16 PM
His response is satirical.

It is not partisan.

We've thrown money at it for decades. It seems to only get worse with time. A wiser approach is needed.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Cthulhu
06-05-2017, 09:17 PM
I had job opportunities on the west coast that I turned down because ultimately I didn't want to live there.

Alaska is a deal killer. Take New York, and Vermont. Maine and New Hampshire stay.
I personally might consider living way off the Mississippi River - depending on the state.

But I won't step foot in California. Screw that place. Same with Florida.

Dr. Who
06-05-2017, 09:20 PM
His response is satirical.

It is not partisan.

We've thrown money at it for decades. It seems to only get worse with time. A wiser approach is needed.

I see, so if we agree it's satirical and if we don't it's called something less flattering.

texan
06-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Let me tell you how great that Fing liberal paradise is for its companies. When it runs out of unemployment which it pays infinitely. They just take money on a few days notice from all private business accounts!

My my son has a company there and they do this at least twice a year to his company.

Things are a little fucked up there and education is far from the worst.

Tahuyaman
06-05-2017, 09:44 PM
I personally might consider living way off the Mississippi River - depending on the state.

But I won't step foot in California. Screw that place. Same with Florida.

California is a great place to visit.

Starman
06-06-2017, 12:50 PM
It's a disaster. Now the white imbeciles who wrecked the state are moving out to wreak havoc somewhere else.

Tell me, one and all, what is ANY ONE OF YOU DOING to reverse this havoc? WHAT! ! ! !

What CAN you do? Here's an answer that is cheap and easy to impliment. Do it from your laptop where you now sit.

Next time you see IDIOCY on campus, or in public office, or print, or television, take notes. Look up the teacher, or professor. Find the prof's department online, and email that fool with a copy to if not all of his department peers, at least fifteen or twenty of them.

Be civil. Approach them on their own level, and call out their STUPIDITY and the consequences of it. If you do that, they almost never reply, because you have a valid point, of course. If you did not, you shouldn't have bothered to challenge their idiocy.

The U of Alaska art teacher, who painted a picture of some homosexual, holding President Trump's head? Wrote to him.
The Fresno State College teacher, who suggested violence and assassination? Wrote to him.
Bill Ayers? Convicted terrorist who taught at U of Chicago and ghost wrote Barack Obama's books? Wrote to his colleagues.
Also wrote to dozens of newspapers, government officials in state and local governments and television personalities.

Speak out. Be heard. Or else don't whine here where it does VERY LITTLE GOOD!

Mister D
06-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Tell me, one and all, what is ANY ONE OF YOU DOING to reverse this havoc? WHAT! ! ! !

What CAN you do? Here's an answer that is cheap and easy to impliment. Do it from your laptop where you now sit.

Next time you see IDIOCY on campus, or in public office, or print, or television, take notes. Look up the teacher, or professor. Find the prof's department online, and email that fool with a copy to if not all of his department peers, at least fifteen or twenty of them.

Be civil. Approach them on their own level, and call out their STUPIDITY and the consequences of it. If you do that, they almost never reply, because you have a valid point, of course. If you did not, you shouldn't have bothered to challenge their idiocy.

The U of Alaska art teacher, who painted a picture of some homosexual, holding President Trump's head? Wrote to him.
The Fresno State College teacher, who suggested violence and assassination? Wrote to him.
Bill Ayers? Convicted terrorist who taught at U of Chicago and ghost wrote Barack Obama's books? Wrote to his colleagues.
Also wrote to dozens of newspapers, government officials in state and local governments and television personalities.

Speak out. Be heard. Or else don't whine here where it does VERY LITTLE GOOD!
OK

Captain Obvious
06-06-2017, 02:47 PM
lol

Starman
06-06-2017, 04:42 PM
I know! More money!
That's BOUND to fix the problem.

They've been jacking up the educational spending in California for decades now, and of course performance has gone
down, so how about.... some more money! Suckers.

"In 1950, we spent (in 1989 dollars) $1,333 per student. In 1989 we spent $4931. As John Silber, the President of Boston University, has written, 'It is troubling that this nearly fourfold increase in real spending has brought no improvement. It is scandalous that it has not prevented substantial decline.' " - William J. Bennett, former Secretary of Education, in The De-Valuing of America

Cthulhu
06-06-2017, 07:20 PM
I see, so if we agree it's satirical and if we don't it's called something less flattering.
No, if you consider his posting history, it is rather obvious.

Whether or not one agrees with it is irrelevant.