PDA

View Full Version : JUN 16 2017, 11:53 AM ET Good Fats as Helpful as Statins Against Heart Disease, Grou

Peter1469
06-18-2017, 03:21 PM
JUN 16 2017, 11:53 AM ET Good Fats as Helpful as Statins Against Heart Disease, Group Says
(http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/good-fats-helpful-statins-against-heart-disease-group-says-n773351)
Statins are perhaps the worse class of drug approved for use in humans. They killed my father at age 63.

Nature does it better.

The American Heart Association wants you to remember that there are such things as good fats and bad fats.

It issued a reminder this week that swapping out artery-clogging saturated fats such as butter with healthy vegetable fats can do as much good for some people as taking a statin drug.

“Scientific studies that lowered intake of saturated fat and replaced it with polyunsaturated vegetable oil reduced cardiovascular disease by approximately 30 percent; similar to cholesterol-lowering drugs, known as statins,” the organization said in a "presidential advisory."

Read the rest of the article at the link.

Trumpster
06-20-2017, 02:29 PM
JUN 16 2017, 11:53 AM ET Good Fats as Helpful as Statins Against Heart Disease, Group Says
(http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/good-fats-helpful-statins-against-heart-disease-group-says-n773351)Statins are perhaps the worse class of drug approved for use in humans. They killed my father at age 63.
Nature does it better.

I agree that statins are a terrible way to try to reduce cardiovascular disease but, unfortunately, medical doctors prescribe statins because that's what they were taught in medical school. They get almost no training in nutrition. But even if they had some knowledge about the way that diet can reverse coronary artery disease, would they be willing to spend a lot of extra time explaining it to the patient? Especially when medical procedures, like stints and bypass, pay much better? And, to complicate things further, most patients will not comply with a strict reversal-diet for very long.

I especially agree with your statement that "nature does it better". That's why I get my fats from certain raw unsalted nuts, like walnuts, almonds and a few others. (No peanuts for a few reasons.) Cooking oils (or oils used for flavoring) are highly processed and not provided by nature. :laugh: Oils are 100% fat; I can't think of anything in nature that is 100% fat. Nuts contain some protein and fiber etc..

Peter1469
06-20-2017, 02:58 PM
You are right. The statins and medical procedures are money makers.

jimmyz
06-20-2017, 03:12 PM
I would opine that foods and natural supplements can replace many pharmaceuticals in treatment of disease. It's just that people have been trained that doctors and pills should be the trusted remedy. If they only knew how many big pharma sales people visit the doctors with literature, free samples and cash payments for prescribing the latest cure.

Plug a doctor in to this search engine to see if and how much graft payments have been given to them - https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/