PDA

View Full Version : California adds 4 states to travel ban for laws it says discriminate against LGBTQ co

stjames1_53
06-23-2017, 05:08 PM
California adds 4 states to travel ban for laws it says discriminate against LGBTQ community
By Carma Hassan (http://www.cnn.com/profiles/carma-hassan), CNN

California has issued a ban on state-funded and state-sponsored (https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releases/attorney-general-becerra-alabama-kentucky-south-dakota-and-texas-added-list)travel to four more states that it says have laws discriminating against LGBTQ people. The travel ban was first put into effect January 1 when state measure AB 1887 became law. The law says California is "a leader in protecting civil rights and preventing discrimination" and should not support or finance "discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people."
The travel ban list also includes states that California believes don't protect religious freedoms and states that it says use religious freedom as a basis of discrimination.

"Our country has made great strides in dismantling prejudicial laws that have deprived too many of our fellow Americans of their precious rights. Sadly, that is not the case in all parts of our nation, even in the 21st century," California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said in a statement Thursday.

Why the ban?Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Tennessee were the original states banned by AB 1887, but Becerra added Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota and Texas on Thursday, citing what he called new discriminatory legislation enacted against the LGBTQ community in those states.
Alabama (https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/HB24/2017), South Dakota (http://www.sdlegislature.gov/docs/legsession/2017/bills/sb149p.htm), and Texas (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/HB03859I.pdf) all recently passed legislation that could prevent LGBT parents from adopting or fostering children and Kentucky passed a religious freedom bil (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/17RS/SB17.htm)l that would allow students to exclude LGBTQ classmates from campus groups.

"While the California DOJ works to protect the rights of all our people, discriminatory laws in any part of our country send all of us several steps back," Becerra said. "That's why when California said we would not tolerate discrimination against LGBTQ members of our community, we meant it."
The law bans state-funded or state-sponsored travel by employees of state agencies and departments as well as members of boards, authorities, and commissions.
Support for the list
The ACLU of Northern California and Rick Zbur with Equality California applauded the state's decision to widen the ban.
"These discriminatory laws in Texas, North Carolina, South Dakota, and other states are completely out of step with the values that make California the vibrant economic powerhouse that it is," Zbur said. "[I]t is imperative that California continue to denounce those actions publicly and financially."
There are exceptions to the ban (https://www.oag.ca.gov/ab1887/faqs), however. For example, if travel is required to maintain grant funding or licensure, or for auditing and revenue collection purposes.
And of course, anyone can travel to any of the states on the list in a personal capacity.
CNN's Keith Allen contributed to this report.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/us/california-travel-ban/index.html

Let's all get stompy-footed over this.....screw CA, I say let 'em go and ban all travel from CA while we're at it........ALL OF IT!!!
About time to pull the plug. Who in the F*&ck do they think they are.......them dim-witted POS's think they run the rest of America........

del
06-23-2017, 05:14 PM
as all good cons know, states' rights are very important.

Green Arrow
06-23-2017, 05:26 PM
I don't see why any state would be prohibited from banning travel of undesirables into their state. Seems to me that is well within their right of self-determination.

Cthulhu
06-23-2017, 05:28 PM
Lol. By all means, bar Americans access to your state.

I'm sure the members of the banned states are losing sleep because they cannot go to the worst state in the union.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

Bethere
06-23-2017, 06:05 PM
I don't see why any state would be prohibited from banning travel of undesirables into their state. Seems to me that is well within their right of self-determination.

That's not what this does. It bans state funded travel by state employees.

Not that I don't agree with you deep down inside...

Bo-4
06-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Callie doesn't need Gomers from those states buying their legal pot and partaking in Disneyland forays.

Go to Floriduh!!

stjames1_53
06-23-2017, 06:12 PM
That's not what this does. It bans state funded travel by state employees.

Not that I don't agree with you deep down inside...

won't be too long they'll only be allowed to travel to NY............................

Tahuyaman
06-23-2017, 06:15 PM
More left wing nonsense.

Tahuyaman
06-23-2017, 06:16 PM
won't be too long they'll only be allowed to travel to NY............................

They will always have Washington state with the rainbow crosswalks in Seattle.

hanger4
06-23-2017, 06:51 PM
They should ban state funded travel to all other states. It's not like their budget is in the black.

resister
06-23-2017, 07:44 PM
Until you trade the word Country for State, then your opinion changes.

Green Arrow
06-23-2017, 08:20 PM
Until you trade the word Country for State, then your opinion changes.

No, it doesn't.

resister
06-23-2017, 08:44 PM
No, it doesn't.
So you think we should ban muslim immigration?

Green Arrow
06-23-2017, 11:12 PM
So you think we should ban muslim immigration?
I didn't say that.

Peter1469
06-23-2017, 11:16 PM
If we can't have free trade inside the US, how are we going to have it in the world?

Tahuyaman
06-23-2017, 11:17 PM
If we can't have free trade inside the US, how are we going to have it in the world?

There's a lot of liberal hypocrisy to be exposed on this one.

Peter1469
06-23-2017, 11:19 PM
There's a lot of liberal hypocrisy to be exposed on this one.

Well the free-traders don't think about reality. Just theory.

stjames1_53
06-24-2017, 04:32 AM

so let me understand this............
You are in favor of states running their own immigration policy. Okay?
The federal government has no business establishing laws about immigration.
What could possibly go wrong with that............

Bethere
06-24-2017, 05:03 AM
Well the free-traders don't think about reality. Just theory.

Fair trade > Free trade

stjames1_53
06-24-2017, 05:35 AM
Definition of free trade

: trade based on the unrestricted international exchange of goods with tariffs used only as a source of revenue

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/free%20trade

Definition of fair trade

1 : trade in conformity with a fair-trade agreement

2 : a movement whose goal is to help producers in developing countries to get a fair price for their products so as to reduce poverty, provide for the ethical treatment of workers and farmers, and promote environmentally sustainable practices
same source...
"Free Trade" is not the same as "Fair Trade"

AeonPax
06-24-2017, 05:36 AM
`
`
More power to Jerry Brown and the state of California.

donttread
06-24-2017, 07:02 AM
California adds 4 states to travel ban for laws it says discriminate against LGBTQ community
By Carma Hassan (http://www.cnn.com/profiles/carma-hassan), CNN

California has issued a ban on state-funded and state-sponsored (https://oag.ca.gov/news/press-releases/attorney-general-becerra-alabama-kentucky-south-dakota-and-texas-added-list)travel to four more states that it says have laws discriminating against LGBTQ people. The travel ban was first put into effect January 1 when state measure AB 1887 became law. The law says California is "a leader in protecting civil rights and preventing discrimination" and should not support or finance "discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people."
The travel ban list also includes states that California believes don't protect religious freedoms and states that it says use religious freedom as a basis of discrimination.

"Our country has made great strides in dismantling prejudicial laws that have deprived too many of our fellow Americans of their precious rights. Sadly, that is not the case in all parts of our nation, even in the 21st century," California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said in a statement Thursday.

Why the ban?Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, and Tennessee were the original states banned by AB 1887, but Becerra added Alabama, Kentucky, South Dakota and Texas on Thursday, citing what he called new discriminatory legislation enacted against the LGBTQ community in those states.
Alabama (https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/HB24/2017), South Dakota (http://www.sdlegislature.gov/docs/legsession/2017/bills/sb149p.htm), and Texas (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/pdf/HB03859I.pdf) all recently passed legislation that could prevent LGBT parents from adopting or fostering children and Kentucky passed a religious freedom bil (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/17RS/SB17.htm)l that would allow students to exclude LGBTQ classmates from campus groups.

"While the California DOJ works to protect the rights of all our people, discriminatory laws in any part of our country send all of us several steps back," Becerra said. "That's why when California said we would not tolerate discrimination against LGBTQ members of our community, we meant it."
The law bans state-funded or state-sponsored travel by employees of state agencies and departments as well as members of boards, authorities, and commissions.
Support for the list

The ACLU of Northern California and Rick Zbur with Equality California applauded the state's decision to widen the ban.
"These discriminatory laws in Texas, North Carolina, South Dakota, and other states are completely out of step with the values that make California the vibrant economic powerhouse that it is," Zbur said. "[I]t is imperative that California continue to denounce those actions publicly and financially."
There are exceptions to the ban (https://www.oag.ca.gov/ab1887/faqs), however. For example, if travel is required to maintain grant funding or licensure, or for auditing and revenue collection purposes.
And of course, anyone can travel to any of the states on the list in a personal capacity.
CNN's Keith Allen contributed to this report.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/23/us/california-travel-ban/index.html

Let's all get stompy-footed over this.....screw CA, I say let 'em go and ban all travel from CA while we're at it........ALL OF IT!!!
About time to pull the plug. Who in the F*&ck do they think they are.......them dim-witted POS's think they run the rest of America........

I guess my parents were rright after all. They always told me California was the "land of fruits and nuts"

Tahuyaman
06-24-2017, 09:24 AM
California has a lot of problems and this is the stuff they are worried about.

Crepitus
06-24-2017, 09:26 AM
Lol. By all means, bar Americans access to your state.

I'm sure the members of the banned states are losing sleep because they cannot go to the worst state in the union.

I think that's a ban against traveling to those states on government money.

Cthulhu
06-24-2017, 09:28 AM
I think that's a ban against traveling to those states on government money.
I guess they hate the military and postal service too.

No biggie I guess.

Crepitus
06-24-2017, 09:34 AM

The only thing they are banning is travel from California to these states on California's dime. People from the listed states can come and go as they please. People from California can come and go as they please as long as the government of California isn't paying for it. This is not the big deal you guys are making it out to be. It is largely symbolic. How often does a California government employee travel to Kansas on official business anyway?

Bethere
06-24-2017, 09:37 AM
I guess they hate the military and postal service too.

No biggie I guess.

The state of California has nothing to do with funding the military or the postal service. Nothing at all. They are unaffected.

Cthulhu
06-24-2017, 09:39 AM
The state of California has nothing to do with funding the military or the postal service. Nothing at all. They are unaffected.
They pay federal taxes.

DGUtley
06-24-2017, 09:41 AM
The only thing they are banning is travel from California to these states on California's dime. People from the listed states can come and go as they please. People from California can come and go as they please as long as the government of California isn't paying for it. This is not the big deal you guys are making it out to be. It is largely symbolic. How often does a California government employee travel to Kansas on official business anyway?

There are exceptions so this is more symbolic than anything.
If this is what the fine people of California want, good for them. I support their right to decide what they want to do.

Bethere
06-24-2017, 09:42 AM
They pay federal taxes.

This isn't about taxes. It's about state sponsored travel.

I gave you waaaay more credit than this.

Cthulhu
06-24-2017, 09:44 AM
This isn't about taxes. It's about state sponsored travel.

I gave you waaaay more credit than this.
I know.

I'm being purposely obtuse.

I'll stop.

But hey, of Cali wants to do that, be my guest. No sweat off my back. It is just pointless political postering that really achieved nothing except brownie points for a non problem.

Standing Wolf
06-24-2017, 11:41 AM
The only thing they are banning is travel from California to these states on California's dime. People from the listed states can come and go as they please. People from California can come and go as they please as long as the government of California isn't paying for it. This is not the big deal you guys are making it out to be.

Yes, it's apparent that the usual suspects, comparing this move to "Muslim bans" and making references to "liberal hypocrisy" had no clue going in what the OP was about and never bothered to find out. I'm shocked.

Cletus
06-24-2017, 11:43 AM
I think it is way past time to cut California loose.

Don't allow them to secede. EXPEL them from the union.

Peter1469
06-24-2017, 12:48 PM
How many gays, trans, etc in Cali can't afford their own trip out of state?

And do the other states being blocked care?

Green Arrow
06-24-2017, 02:44 PM

You guys? It's pretty clear I was defending CA's action.

Bo-4
06-24-2017, 02:52 PM
Good for California .. always a step ahead of Rednecklandia

Bo-4
06-24-2017, 02:53 PM
There are exceptions so this is more symbolic than anything.
If this is what the fine people of California want, good for them. I support their right to decide what they want to do.

Your consistency is much appreciated around here Dave

Bo-4
06-24-2017, 02:55 PM
I know.

I'm being purposely obtuse.

I'll stop.

But hey, of Cali wants to do that, be my guest. No sweat off my back. It is just pointless political postering that really achieved nothing except brownie points for a non problem.

No, it takes CA state convention revenue away from ass-backward states.

Same as the McCrory NC Bathroom Bill ban that cost their asses upwards of a BILLION

Peter1469
06-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Good for California .. always a step ahead of Rednecklandia
Texas thanks Cali for keeping their deviants in-state.

AeonPax
06-24-2017, 03:09 PM
No, it takes CA state convention revenue away from ass-backward states. Same as the McCrory NC Bathroom Bill ban that cost their asses upwards of a BILLION
`
That's not necessarily true. Maybe on paper but I checked into the real affect it had on NC, and financially, at least in the tourist/convention businesses, the effect was minimal at best. Outside of the hospitality/entertainment sector (which did take a hit), NC has an extremely robust economy.

Bo-4
06-24-2017, 03:17 PM
`
That's not necessarily true. Maybe on paper but I checked into the real affect it had on NC, and financially, at least in the tourist/convention businesses, the effect was minimal at best. Outside of the hospitality/entertainment sector (which did take a hit), NC has an extremely robust economy.

Something is either true or it isn't true .. "not necessarily true" is a dubious expression.

Don't think the final figures are in which is why i toned it down from 3.7 billion to less than a billion.

Any way you spin it - twas a crapload of money.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/27/521676772/ap-calculates-north-carolinas-bathroom-bill-will-cost-more-than-3-7-billion

Bo-4
06-24-2017, 03:19 PM
Texas thanks Cali for keeping their deviants in-state.

I LoL'd at that, thanks Pete.

But since you want to label LGBTs as "deviant" ..

Bet you'd be surprised to know that per capita, there are are many deviants in Texas as there are in Callie!

Crepitus
06-24-2017, 03:36 PM
You guys? It's pretty clear I was defending CA's action.

They aren't keeping anyone out. They are saying the state of California will not pay for any of its employees to travel to those states on business.

Green Arrow
06-24-2017, 04:25 PM
They aren't keeping anyone out. They are saying the state of California will not pay for any of its employees to travel to those states on business.

So I misread. Shoot me. I'm still defending CA.

Crepitus
06-24-2017, 04:28 PM
So I misread. Shoot me. I'm still defending CA.

Ok. (Not the shooting part)

donttread
06-24-2017, 04:28 PM

I wonder if these states will reciprocate. Hit em in their convention hosting pocket.

Crepitus
06-24-2017, 04:30 PM
I wonder if these states will reciprocate. Hit em in their convention hosting pocket.

Probably their best course. I think it's pretty obvious CA hosts more conventions than kansas does.

AeonPax
06-24-2017, 04:52 PM
Something is either true or it isn't true .. "not necessarily true" is a dubious expression.Don't think the final figures are in which is why i toned it down from 3.7 billion to less than a billion. Any way you spin it - twas a crapload of money. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/03/27/521676772/ap-calculates-north-carolinas-bathroom-bill-will-cost-more-than-3-7-billion
`
True enough but who really lost? The entertainment/hospitality industry is fueled on part-time labor. To compensate for the loss of revenue, they just stopped hiring part-timers and temps. The industry lost "possible" revenue true but the void it created has already been replaced by other venues. The big losers here were the part-time and temp workers whom, as far as I can see, use such jobs to make ends meet. Good job. People don't think things through.

Peter1469
06-24-2017, 07:07 PM
I LoL'd at that, thanks Pete.

But since you want to label LGBTs as "deviant" ..

Bet you'd be surprised to know that per capita, there are are many deviants in Texas as there are in Callie!
Don't know. I just live my life in the slow lane.

donttread
06-25-2017, 06:20 AM
Probably their best course. I think it's pretty obvious CA hosts more conventions than kansas does.

Then multiply that times 8 for each state they've banned.

Cthulhu
06-25-2017, 11:26 AM

Same as the McCrory NC Bathroom Bill ban that cost their asses upwards of a BILLION
Like I said, brownie points.

stjames1_53
06-25-2017, 11:50 AM

the cost of installing the bathrooms claimed to be needed by the "different" folk would run into the billions of dollars anyway..........
They absolutely must have separate bathrooms. They demand it.
every public building, libraries, courthouses, etc, would have to install another bathroom. but hey, what do they care about cost when it comes to their feelings...............typical .............we don't care how much it costs..... the rest of the citizens can pay for it..........