PDA

View Full Version : Analysis indicates partisan gerrymandering has benefited GOP

Bethere
06-25-2017, 07:41 PM
This is a tremendous, detailed read worthy of Pulitzer consideration. Read it without me telling you what it says. Then we can have one of those bomb world class exchanges of ideas for which tPF is famed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_REDRAWING_AMERICA_IMBALANCE_OF_POWER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-25-07-47-30

Common
06-25-2017, 08:02 PM
I dont have to read it, all I have to say is GOOD, everything else benefits the democrats, like illegal voting. One for the good guys :)

hanger4
06-25-2017, 08:11 PM
Should be an interesting SCOTUS case this fall.

Crepitus
06-25-2017, 08:36 PM
I dont have to read it, all I have to say is GOOD, everything else benefits the democrats, like illegal voting. One for the good guys :)

So, criminal behavior is ok as long as it benefits your side?

Chris
06-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Read it. It's biased in that it focuses only on the GOP. Where gerrymandering favored the GOP, it, of course, benefitted them, just as where it favored the Democrats, it benefitted them. It goes without saying.

The Xl
06-26-2017, 12:49 AM
Analysis, eh?

Common
06-26-2017, 02:49 AM

You come out firmly in support of trumps wall, then come back and talk to me about criminal behavior

Bethere
06-26-2017, 06:26 AM
Read it. It's biased in that it focuses only on the GOP. Where gerrymandering favored the GOP, it, of course, benefitted them, just as where it favored the Democrats, it benefitted them. It goes without saying.

Way to go. You didn't read it. The study compares the number of times it happened in democratic states versus republican states. It even came up with a ratio.

You used to be better than this.

Common
06-26-2017, 06:30 AM
Should be an interesting SCOTUS case this fall.

It just went before scotus I believe

Bethere
06-26-2017, 06:36 AM
It just went before scotus I believe

This term ends today.

Bethere
06-26-2017, 06:40 AM

That is how his post reads.

maybe we read it wrong? Maybe we read it right!

Common
06-26-2017, 06:45 AM
That is how his post reads.

maybe we read it wrong? Maybe we read it right!
You read it right and its no different than yours and his attitude towards anything thats negative to conservatives. The russians are coming, ooops no their not.

Bo-4
06-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Then we can have one of those bomb world class exchanges of ideas for which tPF is famed.

Appears to have already commenced eh? ^^^

:laughing7:

Bo's personal favorite gerrymander on steroids ~

https://static.pjmedia.com/zombie/user-content/28/files/2010/11/nc12.jpg

Bethere
06-26-2017, 07:16 AM
Appears to have already commenced eh? ^^^

:laughing7:

Bo's personal favorite gerrymander on steroids ~

https://static.pjmedia.com/zombie/user-content/28/files/2010/11/nc12.jpg

My congressional District, designed to keep John Boehner from having to worry about reelection.

Bo-4
06-26-2017, 07:19 AM
My congressional District, designed to keep John Boehner from having to worry about reelection.

Is that where most of the Democrats live? -- Packing or cracking??

Chris
06-26-2017, 07:45 AM
Way to go. You didn't read it. The study compares the number of times it happened in democratic states versus republican states. It even came up with a ratio.

You used to be better than this.

No, I did read it, where it mentions Dem gerrymandering, it only to make the GOP look worse. An unbiased report would have simply said they both do it, as we all know they do.

Topic's not about me, good times.

Chris
06-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Here's some more:

https://s4.postimg.org/ghdyaiqul/gerrymandering_s640x563.jpg

Oh, gee, sorry, there's democratic gerrymandering included.

Good time!

Crepitus
06-26-2017, 08:09 AM
You come out firmly in support of trumps wall, then come back and talk to me about criminal behavior

Why would I support that? Robbing the American public of many billions of tax dollars for a useless wall is criminal if you ask me. Now, I ask again: criminal behavior is ok as long as it benefits your side?

Crepitus
06-26-2017, 08:12 AM
You read it right and its no different than yours and his attitude towards anything thats negative to conservatives. The russians are coming, ooops no their not.

Well no, they aren't coming.

They are already here.

Bo-4
06-26-2017, 08:20 AM
Here's some more:

Oh, gee, sorry, there's democratic gerrymandering included.

Good time!

True, but the OP is not the first of these studies - and ALL of them show that Republicans took the art to new levels in 2010.

Thankfully we'll have a new president (and likely congress) for the census in 2020.

Good times indeed! :evil:

Chris
06-26-2017, 08:21 AM
Why would I support that? Robbing the American public of many billions of tax dollars for a useless wall is criminal if you ask me. Now, I ask again: criminal behavior is ok as long as it benefits your side?

Taxation is theft. You're coming around. Gerrymandering is theft of votes.

Chris
06-26-2017, 08:27 AM
True, but the OP is not the first of these studies - and ALL of them show that Republicans took the art to new levels in 2010.

Thankfully we'll have a new president (and likely congress) for the census in 2020.

Good times indeed! :evil:

Your bias is showing. What most studies show is while in large areas, like a state, Dems won the popular vote, in specific locations, like district, Reps won. Naturally, the Dems let out a howl, they want to redistrict to win. This struggle has been going on for decades.

Crepitus
06-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Taxation is theft. You're coming around. Gerrymandering is theft of votes.

Wasting tax money is theft. Please don't attempt to change the meaning of my posts.

Chris
06-26-2017, 08:59 AM
Wasting tax money is theft. Please don't attempt to change the meaning of my posts.

Theft has to do with taking something not yours, not with the spending of the theived goods.

Definition of theft
a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it
b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property
@ https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/theft

Use words properly.

Crepitus
06-26-2017, 09:00 AM
Theft has to do with taking something not yours, not with the spending of the theived goods.

Definition of theft
a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it

Use words properly.

Please do not attempt to change the meaning of my post.

Chris
06-26-2017, 09:02 AM
So back to the topic, once again, both parties have done this, it's an evil of the democratic process. A plague on all partisans!!

Gerrymandering: A Plague on Both Our Parties! (http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/27117-gerrymandering-a-plague-on-both-our-parties)

In order to leave election votes "taken by states" as provided in the Constitution, federal courts have allowed state legislatures to engage in "gerrymandering" since 1812, when Massachusetts Gov. Elbridge Gerry oversaw the creation of a sprawling congressional district that snaked borders around pockets of supporters. The new boundary vaguely resembled a salamander, so reporters seized on the governor's bizarre progeny and coined the term "Gerry-mander."

Gerrymandering is a plague on both our parties. Virginia's 3rd Congressional District, recently declared unconstitutional, is a case in point. Initially, Democrats championed the process, gerrymandering districts to maintain minority populations that vote blue. Due to this strategy, Democrats controlled Congress for 40 years, from 1955 to 1995.

Republicans learned the lesson - and got better at gerrymandering than Democrats. The GOP realized it could overcrowd districts created by Democrats with disproportionate amounts of minority populations. By increasing numbers in a safe Democratic district, Republicans reduced the influence of the liberal voting bloc in both state politics and congressional elections. Republicans controlled the US House from 1995 until losing election cycles in 2006 and 2008; however, the party retained its power in state legislatures, and doubled down on redrawing favorable maps after the 2010 Census.

Bethere
06-26-2017, 04:25 PM

Way to stand up for yourself.

del
06-26-2017, 04:33 PM

Definition of theft

Use words properly.

here's a word: bullshit

example- calling taxes theft is just more anarcho-libertarian bullshit

use words properly

Chris
06-26-2017, 04:35 PM
here's a word: bullshit

example- calling taxes theft is just more anarcho-libertarian bullshit

use words properly

Uh, del, it's a metaphor.

Look it up. M-e-t-a-p-h-o-r.

Ransom
06-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Democrats. First drew the 'bugsplat' districts so famous for keeping them in power for 40 years until 1994. Bill Clinton's first mid-term elections. Like Obama's 2010...an absolute political bloodbath for Democrats........complaining about gerrymandering? Ain't that rich.

Chris
06-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Way to stand up for yourself.

Applaud the try.

Captain Obvious
06-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Uh, del, it's a metaphor.

Look it up. M-e-t-a-p-h-o-r.

Spelling it out only makes it worse for him

Peter1469
06-26-2017, 05:11 PM
Yes, partisan gerrymandering has helped the GOP more than the dems. That is because they control most of the states.

SCOTUS shies away from getting involved in politics. They are clear on racial gerrymandering. Can't do it. They are not going to change the law now. That is a job for the legislature.

This is a tremendous, detailed read worthy of Pulitzer consideration. Read it without me telling you what it says. Then we can have one of those bomb world class exchanges of ideas for which tPF is famed.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_REDRAWING_AMERICA_IMBALANCE_OF_POWER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-06-25-07-47-30

Bethere
06-27-2017, 10:59 AM
here's a word: bull$#@!

example- calling taxes theft is just more anarcho-libertarian bull$#@!

use words properly

Of course we should school our constitutional originalists that taxation is perfectly constitutional.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises...

Chris
06-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Of course we should school our constitutional originalists that taxation is perfectly constitutional.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises...

Yes, legalized theft.

Cannons Front
06-27-2017, 11:21 AM

You do know that John Boehner is no longer in Congress, Right?

Your Rep is Warren Davidson..........
Just trying to help

Bethere
06-27-2017, 11:26 AM

Just trying to help

Boehner was in office when the last reappointment happened, Einstein. He never lost. He quit.

And Davidson, a member of the 'freedom' caucus, is worse than Boehner.

Ransom
06-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Just trying to help

I mean.....you cannot make this up. John Boehner??

:biglaugh:

Cannons Front
06-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Boehner was in office when the last reappointment happened, Einstein. He never lost. He quit.
And Davidson, a member of the 'freedom' caucus, is worse than Boehner.

Now, now that is sounding a lot like a personal attack, those are not permitted ya know...... You said the district was made to keep Boehner from being defeated, it was done do to a loss in districts from the 2010 Census it was done prior to that because of the previous Census.
If you look at the entire Ohio district map, yours is far more normal than most

decedent
06-27-2017, 02:24 PM

I think one of the biggest mistakes the Dems made in the general election was not accounting for the continuously changing electoral districts. Just because they won a district easily 4 years ago, doesn't mean they'll win it easily again.

Bipartisan committees must review redistricting proposals, and benefits of redistricting must be proven.

Bethere
06-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Now, now that is sounding a lot like a personal attack, those are not permitted ya know...... You said the district was made to keep Boehner from being defeated, it was done do to a loss in districts from the 2010 Census it was done prior to that because of the previous Census.

Hello. I just said that. Don't rephrase my posts and then attempt to re present them to me in a condescending tone.