PDA

View Full Version : What economic policies would you propose?

KC
11-09-2012, 02:08 AM
Many agree that right now, the economy and the government that controls it are a mess. What economic and fiscal policies would you propose if you were running for office or advising government officials?

Mine:

1. Eliminate Corporate Income Tax: Just get rid of it.

2. Stop taxing the states: The Federal government gives a lot of money in the form of grants to states. Meanwhile, it taxes the income of state workers. I would propose the government stop giving out grants to states for arbitrary reasons and instead only give back to the states what it collects from state workers. In the long term, this helps states fund pension promises they've made or allows them to make the cuts they desperately need to make.

3. Cut entitlements: Another no brainer. Giving people the chance to privately invest and save their money instead of taking it in order to fund social security will also provide more opportunity for investment and growth. If people don't want the perceived risk of markets, they can always invest in Treasury bonds, and they'll still get a higher return than if they would with Social Security.

4. Freeze regulation: Regulation should never grow during a recession. Regulation ultimately should fall under the jurisdiction of the states, but the most immediate task for the government is to freeze regulation and prevent the uncertainty.

5. Create new opportunities for investment: The US is the only post industrial nation that prohibits industrialized use of hemp. Ending prohibition and the drug wars at the federal level should create opportunities for growth. If the US was in the business of industrialized hemp, we'd do it better than any of the other nations that currently allow its production.

Calypso Jones
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Seriously.

Calypso Jones
11-09-2012, 09:07 AM
80% of the public is going to see tax increases. We'll see if it hits obama supporters. Get back to me then.

KC
11-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Seriously.

Yes. What's the issue?

KC
11-09-2012, 09:09 AM
80% of the public is going to see tax increases. We'll see if it hits obama supporters. Get back to me then.

Why is this relevant?

Chris
11-09-2012, 09:51 AM
I'll address this more later. In general I'm a noninterventionist: the business of government is not business. I would go along with those policies proposed in the OP that steer us in that direction.

Calypso Jones
11-09-2012, 10:43 AM
well i really think you guys are just talking to hear your own voices.. I don't think it's gonna matter what you think should be done or conservatives for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIk1pY7Yg8U&feature=player_embedded

KC
11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
well i really think you guys are just talking to hear your own voices.. I don't think it's gonna matter what you think should be done or conservatives for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIk1pY7Yg8U&feature=player_embedded

For me, the fun of politics isn't discovering what is going to be done. I already know that we're in deep doo doo. For me, the fun is trying to learn what ought to be done.

Chris
11-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Agree, politics is not about what is but what ought to be. It's, in a sense, not factual but moral.

But let's get back to topic as required by http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/8250-Changes-to-The-Political-Forums.

So, now, as for "1. Eliminate Corporate Income Tax: Just get rid of it."

Agree, but also get rid of corporate personhood, limited liability, and earnings guidance.

coolwalker
11-09-2012, 02:19 PM
For me, the fun of politics isn't discovering what is going to be done. I already know that we're in deep doo doo. For me, the fun is trying to learn what ought to be done.

What ought to be done is never done. It is really simple and would end problems in DC. Never elect the same person twice. As for the current economy, someone has to ensure and reassure small business owners that they aren't going to go belly-up in a year with stiff taxes. Small business is 70% of our nation.

KC
11-09-2012, 02:26 PM
What ought to be done is never done. It is really simple and would end problems in DC. Never elect the same person twice. As for the current economy, someone has to ensure and reassure small business owners that they aren't going to go belly-up in a year with stiff taxes. Small business is 70% of our nation.

To stay on topic, what policies would be best to make sure small businesses don't close shop. Would you cut or freeze taxes on these businesses, or would you do something else?

And yes, what is done is rarely what ought to be done. I already know our leaders will very rarely do the right thing, but I'm more interested in what the right thing is.

coolwalker
11-09-2012, 03:15 PM
To stay on topic, what policies would be best to make sure small businesses don't close shop. Would you cut or freeze taxes on these businesses, or would you do something else?

And yes, what is done is rarely what ought to be done. I already know our leaders will very rarely do the right thing, but I'm more interested in what the right thing is.

Do not raise taxes on them...back-off Obamacare...relax OSHA just a bit...relax credit on small business (make it a bit easier for struggling businesses). Those are starters.

Chris
11-09-2012, 03:37 PM
In short, reduce government, don't raise taxes.

Milton Friedman, the arch-conservative economist, speaking of ways to limit or reduce the size of government, offered this prescription: “How can we ever cut government down to size? I believe there is only one way: the way parents control spendthrift children, cutting their allowance. For the government, that means cutting taxes. Resulting deficits will be an effective – I would go as far as to say, the only effective – restraint on the spending propensities of the executive branch and the legislature.”
~Milton Friedman, The Cato Institute, Cato Handbook on Policy (Washington D.C.: The Cato Institute, 2005) p. 113, cited in Starving The Beast (http://www.governmentisgood.com/articles.php?aid=14)

Carygrant
11-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Do not raise taxes on them...back-off Obamacare...relax OSHA just a bit...relax credit on small business (make it a bit easier for struggling businesses). Those are starters.

Listen to what your own State wants without giving us your shit .

KC
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Listen to what your own State wants without giving us your shit .

Admin:

Other Discussions (http://thepoliticalforums.com/forums/4-Other-Discussions) are for more serious discussion and stricter moderation. The rules apply but, on the positive side, we will also require that all posts make a contribution be it information, question or argumentation, and on the negative side we will not allow trolling, inflammatory remarks, personal attacks, or off-topic comments.

Trinnity
11-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Listen to what your own State wants without giving us your shit .This sort of inflammatory post is not appropriate for the "other discussions" portion of the forum. This is a warning.

Peter1469
11-09-2012, 11:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fuDDqU6n4o&feature=plcp