PDA

View Full Version : Finally harvesting

donttread
07-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Three types of leaf lettuce, radishes, chives and several herbs from parsley to oregrno and basil for garden salad and tomorrow AM, three types of mint/ chamomile tea.

Crepitus
07-04-2017, 04:59 PM
I don't know from veggies, but my roses, daylillies, and the wildflowers I planted to fill a spot I haven't decided what to do with yet are going great guns.

Common
07-04-2017, 05:02 PM
Three types of leaf lettuce, radishes, chives and several herbs from parsley to oregrno and basil for garden salad and tomorrow AM, three types of mint/ chamomile tea.
Fresh is best, I have a friend that has over 250 pot plants. Eggplant, tomatoes, different peppers all kinds of veggies and herbs and he gives me so much I told him cut back we cant eat it all.

donttread
07-04-2017, 06:53 PM
I don't know from veggies, but my roses, daylillies, and the wildflowers I planted to fill a spot I haven't decided what to do with yet are going great guns.

Well there ya go. Make that spot a flower garden.

donttread
07-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Fresh is best, I have a friend that has over 250 pot plants. Eggplant, tomatoes, different peppers all kinds of veggies and herbs and he gives me so much I told him cut back we cant eat it all.

Nice. But potted plants would sound much better.

Crepitus
07-04-2017, 07:49 PM
Well there ya go. Make that spot a flower garden.

Well yeah, but I'm eventually gonna put something a bit more permanent in there.

Common
07-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Nice. But potted plants would sound much better.

They are large pots, the vegetables are unreal good. The reason is you control the soil and all the nutrients. I told him hes gone overboard with as many pots as he has. Doesnt cost him much, he germinates his seeds himself and rotates the soil

resister
07-04-2017, 09:38 PM
toasters.

Crepitus
07-04-2017, 09:43 PM
toasters.

Umm, I hate to burst your bubble but Toasters don't grow in gardens.

resister
07-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Bethere and the internet of things is calling

Dr. Who
07-04-2017, 10:10 PM
They are large pots, the vegetables are unreal good. The reason is you control the soil and all the nutrients. I told him hes gone overboard with as many pots as he has. Doesnt cost him much, he germinates his seeds himself and rotates the soil
He can donate the excess to the local food bank. I'm sure it would be appreciated.

donttread
07-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Well yeah, but I'm eventually gonna put something a bit more permanent in there.

I think the flowers will "grow on you" LOL

donttread
07-05-2017, 10:38 AM

Yes, I have 7 pots myself and they are more productive per square foot than the main garden. However, I was referring to saying that your neighter has "pot plants" instead of "potted plants"

donttread
07-07-2017, 03:30 PM
My salad is three days old and still taste fressh. I think it's because the frig is a little colder than normal.

Peter1469
07-07-2017, 06:17 PM
My salad is three days old and still taste fressh. I think it's because the frig is a little colder than normal.

So long as it isn't cold enough to cause the veggies to frost up.

It should stay fresh a while.

Hoosier8
07-07-2017, 06:20 PM

I did shyte for gardening this year.

donttread
07-07-2017, 06:30 PM

Just above that temp. Mid 30's maybe?

resister
07-07-2017, 06:39 PM
Umm, I hate to burst your bubble but Toasters don't grow in gardens.
18631@Crepitus perhaps not, but evidently succulents grow well in them:) Just don't push the lever down.

Crepitus
07-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Just above that temp. Mid 30's maybe?

Speaking as the fridge guy here 34° is ideal for keeping veggies fresh. The crisper drawer in your fridge also holds more humidity than the rest of the fridge and that helps as well.

donttread
07-11-2017, 06:07 AM

I think we're just above that temp.

donttread
07-11-2017, 06:07 AM
Speaking as the fridge guy here 34° is ideal for keeping veggies fresh. The crisper drawer in your fridge also holds more humidity than the rest of the fridge and that helps as well.

Thanks.

Mister D
07-15-2017, 04:37 PM
So my tenant's peach tree was stripped clean by an unknown bandit. My fledgling cherry tomatoes disappeared the same night. I suspected a deer but the tomatoes are in my yard and my fence is too high to jump. Might have been two different animals but it's weird it happened on the same night. Anyway, the herbs are doing very well and I can start harvesting the serrano peppers in a week or so. The Internet tells me that the more peppers I pick the better. This will stimulate the plant to keep producing them. Jalapenos are taking their time though.

donttread
07-21-2017, 10:26 AM
So my tenant's peach tree was stripped clean by an unknown bandit. My fledgling cherry tomatoes disappeared the same night. I suspected a deer but the tomatoes are in my yard and my fence is too high to jump. Might have been two different animals but it's weird it happened on the same night. Anyway, the herbs are doing very well and I can start harvesting the serrano peppers in a week or so. The Internet tells me that the more peppers I pick the better. This will stimulate the plant to keep producing them. Jalapenos are taking their time though.

Humm, perplexing. We've had a racoon living next door for years and neither he nor the gopher ever ate my tomatoes . Human activity a possibility?

donttread
07-21-2017, 10:29 AM
The garden is coming well. A couple weeks slow to mature with all the rain this year but the plants vines are loading up with squash and nice green tomatoes which should soon turn red. Already harvested some nice braccahli and CF loads of lettuce and herbs and some kick ass radishes .

donttread
08-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Fresh zuccini tonight directly from vine to frying pan and I even cheated , picked and ate a small spagheti squash. Only a handful of tomatoes ripening per day now but since there are over 200 green tomatoes out there I'm thinking we'll be giving away tomatoes soon. Only 5 healthy cabbage left thanks to my "friend " the wood chuck. But I have instituted defences to protect my cole slaw and boiled dinners from the rascal.

Mister D
08-02-2017, 08:52 PM
With only two serrano pepper plants I already have 25 peppers. I will have to freeze some.

Peter1469
08-02-2017, 08:54 PM
I got a bunch of tomatoes, some rosemary and thyme. Dill too.

Oh, and a lot of catnip. Way too much for the two cats.

resister
08-02-2017, 09:01 PM
With only two serrano pepper plants I already have 25 peppers. I will have to freeze some.
Might come out better dehydrating them. They might get pretty mushy upon thawing.

Mister D
08-02-2017, 09:03 PM

Ha. I should grow some next year.

Mister D
08-02-2017, 09:06 PM
Might come out better dehydrating them. They might get pretty mushy upon thawing.
I'd agree if we were talking about jalapenos or cherry peppers but you can't eat serranos raw or lightly fried. I use them for chili, soups, mac and beef and that sort of thing. Jalapenos I'll throw in eggs or even raw on a hamburger.

donttread
08-02-2017, 09:42 PM

Wow , awesome production. I've never grown that variety but I don't think I've ever produced a dozen peppers per plant.

donttread
08-02-2017, 09:44 PM

We look forward to some "stoned cats " stories. LOL

Mister D
08-03-2017, 11:26 AM
Wow , awesome production. I've never grown that variety but I don't think I've ever produced a dozen peppers per plant.
I'm certainly surprised.

I think our respective results are weather related. Peppers love sunshine and heat. If you're in upstate NY your growing season is probably quite a bit shorter for this kind of crop. We have at least 4 months of consistent sunshine and high temperatures here.

resister
08-03-2017, 11:59 AM
I'm certainly surprised.

I think our respective results are weather related. Peppers love sunshine and heat. If you're in upstate NY your growing season is probably quite a bit shorter for this kind of crop. We have at least 4 months of consistent sunshine and high temperatures here.
Lots of people here grow "grove peppers" little tiny peppers that are hot as hell fire. Plant turns into a huge bush with hundreds of peppers@donttread Mister D

Mister D
08-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Lots of people here grow "grove peppers" little tiny peppers that are hot as hell fire. Plant turns into a huge bush with hundreds of peppers@donttread @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4)

All of these peppers are native to subtropical and tropical regions.

resister
08-03-2017, 12:06 PM
All of these peppers are native to subtropical and tropical regions.
That would explain their ease of cultivation here. I have native butterfly orchids that just bloomed. Fl has 99 native orchids.

Mister D
08-03-2017, 12:08 PM
That would explain their ease of cultivation here. I have native butterfly orchids that just bloomed. Fl has 99 native orchids.
I'm happy to get a bumper crop in NJ but I thin donttread lives significantly to my north and at higher elevation.

resister
08-03-2017, 12:09 PM
I'm happy to get a bumper crop in NJ but I thin donttread lives significantly to my north and at higher elevation.Greenhouse or coldframe?

Mister D
08-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Greenhouse or coldframe?
Bare bones. Slapped some wood together, dumped some Miracle Grow soil inside and called it my garden. First timer so this is an experimental year. Very happy with the pepper crop so far.

resister
08-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Bare bones. Slapped some wood together, dumped some Miracle Grow soil inside and called it my garden. First timer so this is an experimental year. Very happy with the pepper crop so far.Build a little wood frame and put some opaque plastic sheeting on it, BAM! Your growing season just got longer, build a slanted roof with hinges.

Mister D
08-03-2017, 12:40 PM
Build a little wood frame and put some opaque plastic sheeting on it, BAM! Your growing season just got longer, build a slanted roof with hinges.
After the peppers I was thinking about a cooler weather crop like kale or turnip greens. I'll eat those all week. No waste there.

resister
08-03-2017, 01:08 PM
Brocolli and Brussel sprouts?

Mister D
08-03-2017, 01:13 PM
Brocolli and Brussel sprouts?
Greens are probably easier for a novice.

resister
08-03-2017, 01:15 PM
Greens are probably easier for a novice. Should not be terribly difficult, you just have to plant at the right time.

donttread
08-04-2017, 07:23 AM
I'm certainly surprised.

Maybe. The brassicas love it here though. Too bad my gopher friend loves them so much!

Mister D
08-12-2017, 04:32 PM
donttread like I said this is an experimental year. Learning as I go.So my my cherry tomato plant is growing at a right angle. In fact, almost all of the recent growth appears to be in one branch and it's already longer the the rest of the plant. It's tipping over! I just went outside and placed a plant prop around the branch to keep it up. It's producing plenty of fruit which is great but it has such a weird shape I wanted to ask if this is normal. If it is I guess I will just have to give them cherry tomatoes more room.

donttread
08-12-2017, 06:56 PM
@donttread (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=922) like I said this is an experimental year. Learning as I go.So my my cherry tomato plant is growing at a right angle. In fact, almost all of the recent growth appears to be in one branch and it's already longer the the rest of the plant. It's tipping over! I just went outside and placed a plant prop around the branch to keep it up. It's producing plenty of fruit which is great but it has such a weird shape I wanted to ask if this is normal. If it is I guess I will just have to give them cherry tomatoes more room.

Is the main stem actually growing at that angle or is the weight of the tomatoes simply too much for the plant to remain upright? The latter is very normal and proping can help. You should put up tomato cages when the plant is young. Now ak me if I ever get that done on time. LOL. I don't. It's a bitch trying to put the cage over plants a this time of year because of the size and number of branches. You can also use them to prop the plant up even if it's not really in the cage. Perhaps that's what you're already doing?
I like to keep the tomatoes themselves off the ground and not let the plant "steal" other plants space. Other than that it's all good. They can grow as they wish. Hope that helps. Now perhaps you can help me with a problem I have with my cherry tomatos. For some reason when I pick 5 cherry tomatos only 2 or 3 make it into the house? LOL

Mister D
08-12-2017, 07:02 PM
Is the main stem actually growing at that angle or is the weight of the tomatoes simply too much for the plant to remain upright? The latter is very normal and proping can help. You should put up tomato cages when the plant is young. Now ak me if I ever get that done on time. LOL. I don't. It's a $#@! trying to put the cage over plants a this time of year because of the size and number of branches. You can also use them to prop the plant up even if it's not really in the cage. Perhaps that's what you're already doing?
I like to keep the tomatoes themselves off the ground and not let the plant "steal" other plants space. Other than that it's all good. They can grow as they wish. Hope that helps. Now perhaps you can help me with a problem I have with my cherry tomatos. For some reason when I pick 5 cherry tomatos only 2 or 3 make it into the house? LOL

It's definitely not the weight of the fruit. Most of them are still small and green. The one branch is longer than stem. The plant was tipping over. It was actually starting to pull the plant's stem out of the ground. It looks liek this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/Right_angle.svg/1200px-Right_angle.svg.png

Peter1469
08-12-2017, 07:21 PM
It usually goes towards the sun. Keep it watered and trim off any stems that are not doing well.

donttread
08-12-2017, 10:15 PM
It's definitely not the weight of the fruit. Most of them are still small and green. The one branch is longer than stem. The plant was tipping over. It was actually starting to pull the plant's stem out of the ground. It looks liek this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6c/Right_angle.svg/1200px-Right_angle.svg.png

Yeah, that's odd . I'd use a cage to prop it up even if I couldn't get the cage around it.

Mister D
08-12-2017, 10:22 PM
Yeah, that's odd . I'd use a cage to prop it up even if I couldn't get the cage around it.
I put plant prop on it so it looks good for now. It was pushing on my sweet pepper plant. Like I said, just an experiment this year. Very happy with the chilis so far. Picking a jalapeno tomorrow for my eggs.

donttread
08-12-2017, 11:08 PM
I put plant prop on it so it looks good for now. It was pushing on my sweet pepper plant. Like I said, just an experiment this year. Very happy with the chilis so far. Picking a jalapeno tomorrow for my eggs.

That sounds like a good breakfast!

Mister D
08-12-2017, 11:10 PM
That sounds like a good breakfast!
Looking forward to it. It's 12:08! What the heck am I doing? Good night.

donttread
08-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Looking forward to it. It's 12:08! What the heck am I doing? Good night.

How was that breakfast? I've been eating so much zuccinni I should have met all my vegitable requirements for the month already

Mister D
08-18-2017, 03:32 PM
How was that breakfast? I've been eating so much zuccinni I should have met all my vegitable requirements for the month already
It was good. Diced chili peppers in scrambled eggs is nice. The more vegis the better but zucchini is actually a fruit, sir. :) ! I usually go for potent ones like dark greens and broccoli.

The pepper bonanza continues. Very happy with the yield. I've picked 16 of them. There must be another 15-18 on the plants right now. 2 plants-at least 31 peppers.

resister
08-18-2017, 03:35 PM
It was good. Diced chili peppers in scrambled eggs is nice. The more vegis the better but zucchini is actually a fruit, sir. :) ! I usually go for potent ones like dark greens and broccoli.

The pepper bonanza continues. Very happy with the yield. I've picked 16 of them. There must be another 15-18 on the plants right now. 2 plants-at least 31 peppers.
Pickle them!

Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Say that 3 times fast!

Mister D
08-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Pickle them!

Peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. Say that 3 times fast!
I actually like picked vegis but so i would be happy to pickle a few peppers with cabbage, carrots etc. but I'd rather just freeze the chilis since that's all I'll have leftover. I use them for chilis, soups and stews so freezing them whole will be fine.

AZ Jim
08-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Here in the Arizona desert all we are growing is older. I love home grown veggies. If you grow fresh Basil, next time you make pizza add it.....Delicious.

Mister D
08-18-2017, 04:56 PM
Here in the Arizona desert all we are growing is older. I love home grown veggies. If you grow fresh Basil, next time you make pizza add it.....Delicious.
I live in NY/NJ area so making my own pizza is kind of pointless but I grew way to much basil. I have 5 plants. I am cutting it to two next year.

donttread
08-18-2017, 09:01 PM

Well I spent two days away and had to picl ten "squash fruit" upon my return. LOL

Mister D
08-18-2017, 09:04 PM
Well I spent two days away and had to picl ten "squash fruit" upon my return. LOL
Nice yield.

Kalkin
08-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Fresh is best, I have a friend that has over 250 pot plants.
A friend indeed.

donttread
08-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Nice yield.

Best year since I started my little 165 square foot garden

donttread
08-19-2017, 07:16 AM
A friend indeed.

Common really has to learn to re phrase that before the DEA shows up at his friends house! LOL

Mister D
08-27-2017, 01:05 PM
So I pulled out my basil plants. It turns out that they have a life cycle and I should have been paying attention to signs of seeding. They're all but useless now. I could have snipped the flowering stems to extend the life of the plant.Trial and error. Now I know.

resister
08-27-2017, 01:08 PM
Just tilled a 20 sq ft (20 ft on all 4 sides) Was gonna work peat moss and good dirt into the soil, but what I tilled is currently a mud pit, gotta dry out.

donttread
08-30-2017, 07:01 AM
So I pulled out my basil plants. It turns out that they have a life cycle and I should have been paying attention to signs of seeding. They're all but useless now. I could have snipped the flowering stems to extend the life of the plant.Trial and error. Now I know.

I'm going to try to dry many of my herbs this year for the winter. My basil also flowered however.

donttread
08-30-2017, 07:03 AM
Just tilled a 20 sq ft (20 ft on all 4 sides) Was gonna work peat moss and good dirt into the soil, but what I tilled is currently a mud pit, gotta dry out.

Will you grow a winter garden?

Mister D
08-30-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm going to try to dry many of my herbs this year for the winter. My basil also flowered however.
I wasted a lot of basil. Sucks.

I had a question for you. What can I do to fertilize my patch over the Winter? Is organic trash helpful? Leftovers, grass clippings., leaves etc.? This year I bought about 80 bucks worth of Miracle grow soil. Trying to avoid that this time around.

resister
08-30-2017, 11:37 AM
Will you grow a winter garden?
If it ever dries out! Brocolli Brussel sprouts various greens.

donttread
08-30-2017, 04:45 PM
I wasted a lot of basil. Sucks.

I had a question for you. What can I do to fertilize my patch over the Winter? Is organic trash helpful? Leftovers, grass clippings., leaves etc.? This year I bought about 80 bucks worth of Miracle grow soil. Trying to avoid that this time around.

You might be able to compost even in the winter depending on where you live and how much compost you need. Plant matter makes good compost but it takes time to "cook". Lots of stuff online about it, evensmall scale

donttread
08-30-2017, 04:46 PM
If it ever dries out! Brocolli Brussel sprouts various greens.

Sounds good. I don't think you get a frost hard enough to kill a mature brocolli plant

Mister D
08-30-2017, 06:52 PM
You might be able to compost even in the winter depending on where you live and how much compost you need. Plant matter makes good compost but it takes time to "cook". Lots of stuff online about it, evensmall scale
I have a bag full of grass that has been in my shed for a couple years lol. Maybe I'll dump that in.

Dr. Who
08-30-2017, 09:09 PM
I have a bag full of grass that has been in my shed for a couple years lol. Maybe I'll dump that in.

Grass can be a composting problem, however since your grass is pretty old and dried out, if you mix it well with other organic material it should be fine. Grass is difficult because it is fine and when fresh it clumps and that kills the composting process which requires air circulation.

donttread
08-31-2017, 10:29 AM

Mixing browns and greens is good, but listen to WHO as well. I have a composter that works very well but it's a little small.

Dr. Who
08-31-2017, 04:52 PM
My mother had an old fashioned open compost pile, however, they had a sufficiently large property that it wasn't an issue. Warning, compost attracts vermin! Those veggie bits and past their prime fruit that you are tossing in the composter are delicious to starving mice, squirrels and raccoons in the winter, best not to locate it too near your house.

Every spring my mother would find potatoes growing in the compost pile, from the bits removed from potatoes during prep i.e. the "eyes", sometimes attached to those mysteriously grey/black parts of some potatoes.

Mister D
08-31-2017, 06:36 PM
A compost pile may not work well here. This area of NJ is pretty densely populated. The bin might be something I'll try though.

I better plant the broccoli soon. I may get a bag of seeds this weekend but I'm still getting a lot of peppers so i don't want to clear out the garden yet. I started too late this year. Now I know.

Peter1469
08-31-2017, 06:46 PM
My tomatoes are potted. I got a good bit out of them, but I think the soil is depleted at this point.

Mister D
08-31-2017, 07:10 PM
My tomatoes are potted. I got a good bit out of them, but I think the soil is depleted at this point.
That prepared soil is great but that takes your monetary investment from $40 to about $200. I will get a few cubic yards of it but I will lay some organic material out after the Fall harvest. Grass and leaves most likely.

donttread
08-31-2017, 07:43 PM
A compost pile may not work well here. This area of NJ is pretty densely populated. The bin might be something I'll try though.

I better plant the broccoli soon. I may get a bag of seeds this weekend but I'm still getting a lot of peppers so i don't want to clear out the garden yet. I started too late this year. Now I know.

You fall plant broccoli? Interesting idea. Our winters are too harsh even for broccali here. I use a tumbler type composter which works great. The drawback being it's relatively small. But as Who said there are some real disadvantages to an old fashion compost pile when you have limited land. We've already got racoons in the neighborhood and of course I've had my battes with the gopher. Bears will be out in the fall as well.

Mister D
08-31-2017, 07:50 PM
You fall plant broccoli? Interesting idea. Our winters are too harsh even for broccali here. I use a tumbler type composter which works great. The drawback being it's relatively small. But as Who said there are some real disadvantages to an old fashion compost pile when you have limited land. We've already got racoons in the neighborhood and of course I've had my battes with the gopher. Bears will be out in the fall as well.
A compost pile just isn't going to work here but I a bin of some kind will.

Yeah, I figure I'll get the seeds sown in early September. There is very little potential for frost until mid October and from what I've read this is the right time. I'm not early or late. It's a tiny investment so I will give it a try.

resister
08-31-2017, 07:51 PM
Still cant work soil additives into my recently tilled patch, rain wont quit and it is a mud pit with the weeds already growing back.

Them damn tillers are dangerous contraptions!

donttread
09-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Still cant work soil additives into my recently tilled patch, rain wont quit and it is a mud pit with the weeds already growing back.

Them damn tillers are dangerous contraptions!

Is your soon to be garden drying up yet. Also I typically tillwith a shovel.

donttread
09-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Spaghetti squash for dinner tonight some with sause some without. It was awesome.

resister
09-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Is your soon to be garden drying up yet. Also I typically tillwith a shovel.
Yeah, but it will soon be flooded, it is on the back burner.

donttread
09-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Yeah, but it will soon be flooded, it is on the back burner.

How far up the state will the rains reach? Be safe.