PDA

View Full Version : Rightward shift in judiciary

Peter1469
07-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Rightward shift in judiciary (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-07-10/trump-begins-the-rightward-shift-of-america-s-courts)

I didn't vote for Trump because he was on the GOP ticket.

But this rightward shift in the judiciary perhaps can save the nation.

Although he’s been thwarted so far on his legislative agenda before Congress, most notably on health care, President Donald Trump has a big opportunity to reshape another branch of government outside his control: the federal judiciary. He has already moved swiftly to fill an unusual, inherited vacancy on the Supreme Court, and now his aides are working their way through a large number of openings on the lower federal courts. Some of his first picks are up for a Senate committee vote this month.

Justice Neil Gorsuch, with only a few months on the high court under his belt, already embodies the kind of influence Trump seeks to have on the third branch. Gorsuch, who replaced the late Antonin Scalia, reestablished the 5-4 advantage conservatives long enjoyed when it came to most hot-button social issues. Gorsuch has cast consistently conservative votes on such topics as Trump’s travel ban, gun rights, and the separation of church and state. And he doesn’t even turn 50 until August.

It’s actually quite rare (https://ballotpedia.org/Judicial_vacancies_during_Trump%27s_first_term) for a new president to find a Supreme Court vacancy already waiting. Trump, of course, encountered his good fortune courtesy of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s unprecedented 10-month refusal to consider President Barack Obama’s nominee, U.S. Circuit Judge Merrick Garland. The last time a new president had an inherited vacancy was back in 1881, when the beneficiary was President James Garfield.

Read the entire article at the link.

Newpublius
07-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Exactly why I voted for Trump. Vouchers, term limits, letting states prevent illegal aliens from enrolling in public schools. All kinds of things become possible.

DGUtley
07-11-2017, 06:42 AM
I voted for Trump to stop the liberal take over of the Court. Four years and countless appointments later, it may save the Republic.

Adelaide
07-11-2017, 06:52 AM
Courts shouldn't be politicized.

That said, a rightward move isn't a bad thing.

Peter1469
07-11-2017, 05:47 PM
The rightward shift will put the judiciary back into its constitutional role.

HoneyBadger
07-11-2017, 06:21 PM
I voted to prevent Hillary from making any Supreme Court nominations. That was my number one driving issue last year.

ripmeister
07-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Courts shouldn't be politicized.

That said, a rightward move isn't a bad thing.

Huh?!