PDA

View Full Version : A Genuine Cause for Concern

katzgar
07-12-2017, 01:21 PM
In all of its history China has never projected power as it is doing now. One base isnt a disaster but it is one drop in the good old chinese water torture. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/12/536824843/china-dispatches-troops-to-djibouti-to-set-up-its-first-overseas-base

resister
07-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Good, maybe they can help the US, French and Japanese millitary bases already on the island, fight off Samoli piracy.

Peter1469
07-12-2017, 01:29 PM
China is a rising power. If you believe in the Thucydides trap, that would suggest a strong likelihood of war between China and the dominate power- the US.

Peter1469
07-12-2017, 01:30 PM
China has a lot of economic projects going on in Africa. I guess they decided they needed to protect their investment. I wonder how involved they will get with the local wars.

Common
07-12-2017, 01:38 PM
China is a rising Power and you can thank, Nike, GE, and all the rest of the corps that ran there and enriched them at our expense

Standing Wolf
07-12-2017, 01:49 PM
In the early '80s, our P-3C squadron had a crew go into Djibouti for some reason and develop mechanical problems, causing them to have to remain there for some days. The only place to stay was a high-priced French resort, so the Patrol Plane Commander used his command issued "Cadillac card" to check in all thirteen or fourteen crewmen. When they got back to our deployment site and the PPC gave the receipt for quartering and meals to the Disbursing Office, the Filipino CPO in charge almost had a heart attack. :grin:

resister
07-12-2017, 01:49 PM
China is a rising Power and you can thank, Nike, GE, and all the rest of the corps that ran there and enriched them at our expense
Don't forget Bill C. Outsourceing was quite popular under his admin.

donttread
07-12-2017, 05:20 PM
In all of its history China has never projected power as it is doing now. One base isnt a disaster but it is one drop in the good old chinese water torture. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/12/536824843/china-dispatches-troops-to-djibouti-to-set-up-its-first-overseas-base

When the real threat comes we will all just think the "Boy who clled Wolf" is at it again. Sad, but the government's and media's own fault

Peter1469
07-12-2017, 05:21 PM
When the real threat comes we will all just think the "Boy who clled Wolf" is at it again. Sad, but the government's and media's own fault

China putting troops in Africa is the "government's and media's own fault?"

donttread
07-12-2017, 05:49 PM
China putting troops in Africa is the "government's and media's own fault?"

Of course not. But blowing up everything from Iraq to wall street closing as "the end of the world " is. Tell me we must invade Iraq. Tell me we must bail out the megacorps. Tell me the "moderate rebels must be funded" etc.
Lie to me enough and when the time comes that the sky really is falling, nofreakinbody is going to believe them. You've read the story , right?

Peter1469
07-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Of course not. But blowing up everything from Iraq to wall street closing as "the end of the world " is. Tell me we must invade Iraq. Tell me we must bail out the megacorps. Tell me the "moderate rebels must be funded" etc.
Lie to me enough and when the time comes that the sky really is falling, nofreakinbody is going to believe them. You've read the story , right?
Oh, I was sticking to the thread topic.

donttread
07-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Oh, I was sticking to the thread topic.

More rigidly than usual so as to not have to acknowledge my point, I see.

AeonPax
07-13-2017, 08:08 AM
`
I'm not concerned. It's seems only counties that are subservient to the US corporate interests, are OK. No other countries dare expand their military presence beyond their own boarders.

Adelaide
07-13-2017, 10:55 AM
China has a lot of economic projects going on in Africa. I guess they decided they needed to protect their investment. I wonder how involved they will get with the local wars.

I am willing to bet that unless it is in their interest, they will stay out of local wars/politics.

ripmeister
07-13-2017, 11:04 AM
This was one of the arguments for not pulling out of the TPP, that the void created would be one that China steps in to.

Kalkin
07-13-2017, 11:23 AM

Truth be told, the american consumer is who gives them most of their economic power.

resister
07-13-2017, 11:24 AM
Truth be told, the american consumer is who gives them most of their economic power.Mainly thanks to outsourcing.

Kalkin
07-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Mainly thanks to outsourcing.

I could make the case that the high tax rate and nanny-state subsidies have left the average American consumer with such limited income that chinese manufactured crap is the only affordable option. Money goes where money grows, not where it's taxed/regulated to stagnation.

katzgar
07-13-2017, 12:24 PM
given the growth is wealth of the upper 1% your argument is flawed

donttread
07-13-2017, 02:23 PM
`
I'm not concerned. It's seems only counties that are subservient to the US corporate interests, are OK. No other countries dare expand their military presence beyond their own boarders.

Bingo. Which is why the ME has been kept unstable for decades as we justify further destabilization based on the predictable behaviorof destabilized people, groups and nations. Great gig if you can hold onto it without pissing off the world.

donttread
07-13-2017, 02:25 PM
I could make the case that the high tax rate and nanny-state subsidies have left the average American consumer with such limited income that chinese manufactured crap is the only affordable option. Money goes where money grows, not where it's taxed/regulated to stagnation.

The ridiculous concept of corporate taxes plays a huge factor there.

donttread
07-13-2017, 02:26 PM
I am willing to bet that unless it is in their interest, they will stay out of local wars/politics.

We never do. Why would we expect them to? I think they do have a few IQ points on us so maybe

Kalkin
07-13-2017, 03:29 PM
given the growth is wealth of the upper 1% your argument is flawed

English, please.

katzgar
07-13-2017, 03:39 PM
English, please.

Учитывая рост богатства верхнего 1%, ваш аргумент является ошибочным

Kalkin
07-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Учитывая рост богатства верхнего 1%, ваш аргумент является ошибочным

You must be a collusionista. I hope that sentence made more sense than your butchered English version.

Tahuyaman
07-13-2017, 05:38 PM

Thats a good question. I don't think the Chinese will be eager to get bogged down in some military commitment which solves nothing.

Peter1469
07-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Thats a good question. I don't think the Chinese will be eager to get bogged down in some military commitment which solves nothing.

I doubt it too.

katzgar
07-13-2017, 06:39 PM
You must be a collusionista. I hope that sentence made more sense than your butchered English version.

just posting in your native tongue

Kalkin
07-13-2017, 06:43 PM
just posting in your native tongue

IOW, your ignorance extends far beyond politics.

donttread
07-14-2017, 07:07 AM

OK, so there leaders are smarter than ours. Good.

katzgar
07-14-2017, 07:30 AM
IOW, your ignorance extends far beyond politics.

typical denial

gamewell45
07-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Don't forget Bill C. Outsourceing was quite popular under his admin.
I think NAFTA was the worst mistake he and his administration ever made; it easily cost hundreds of thousands of Americans their jobs.

Tahuyaman
07-14-2017, 10:09 AM
OK, so there leaders are smarter than ours. Good.

I don't know if it's an issue of being smarter, but it is an issue of knowing their limitations. They aren't idealists thinking they can save the world

Kalkin
07-14-2017, 10:09 AM
typical denial

You claimed that russian is my native language. It's not, which makes you ignorant of that fact. Calling a spade a spade is not denial. Think better.

katzgar
07-14-2017, 10:59 AM
You claimed that russian is my native language. It's not, which makes you ignorant of that fact. Calling a spade a spade is not denial. Think better.

saying it not doesnt prove anything

Kalkin
07-14-2017, 11:02 AM
saying it not doesnt prove anything
English, please.

katzgar
07-14-2017, 12:00 PM
English, please.

you honestly didnt see this coming?

Говоря, что это ничего не доказывает

Kalkin
07-14-2017, 01:18 PM
you honestly didnt see this coming?

Говоря, что это ничего не доказывает

Oh, I did. I was testing your predictability. Now will you accuse me of being Russian again, with zero proof? I guess the the left's new MO, accusations without any actual evidence.