PDA

View Full Version : Why can’t the GOP Congress pass major legislation?

Peter1469
07-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Why can’t the GOP Congress pass major legislation? (http://theweek.com/articles/711503/why-gop-congress-most-unproductive-164-years)

Because the GOP is corrupt. It's establishment is closer to democrat than conservative.

Just six months ago, it looked like the Republican Party was about to go on a legislative blitzkrieg, shredding law after law passed by the Obama administration. ObamaCare would be vaporized and replaced with a nickel rattling inside an empty Mountain Dew can. Dodd-Frank was sure to be tossed aside for a transparent giveaway to Wall Street. And Republicans would pass their regressive tax reform, their perplexing border-adjustment tax, and so much more. The GOP hadn't held total power in American politics since 2006, and the party had become much more conservative in the interim. And instead of George W. Bush, a man who recognized at least some theoretical limits on free market fundamentalism, the new Congress would work with a sub-literate tabula rasa named Donald Trump, a man who could probably be persuaded to inject himself with experimental medication if an important-seeming person whispered "do it" in his ear.

But a funny thing happened on the way to libertarian utopia. Indeed, it turns out that the GOP-controlled Congress can't seem to pass any meaningful laws at all. Either they have forgotten how, or the divisions in their own increasingly radicalized caucus are proving too difficult to surmount. Whatever the explanation, thus far these GOP legislators are on track to be the least productive group since at least the Civil War.

Now, okay, technically the Ryan-McConnell 115th Congress is so far actually a bit more active than recent Congresses, if you measure by the 43 laws that President Trump has adorned with his garish signature. Obama was at 40 at this point in 2009. George W. Bush had signed even fewer midway through 2001. But sheer number is not the best way to think about how much is being achieved. As The Washington Post's Philip Bump pointed out (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/07/05/60-percent-of-the-bills-trump-has-signed-into-law-have-been-one-page-long/?utm_term=.ff16e6f96694), a majority of the bills signed by Trump thus far have been one page long, meaning many are just symbolic or ceremonial.

Read the rest of the article at the link.

Crepitus
07-23-2017, 05:39 PM
Nope. Because they were all elected to say "no" and they don't know how to do anything else. They spent so long obstructing that now that they don't have to obstruct democrats all they can do is obstruct each other.

Peter1469
07-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Nope. Because they were all elected to say "no" and they don't know how to do anything else. They spent so long obstructing that now that they don't have to obstruct democrats all they can do is obstruct each other.

I wish people can be serious in serious topics.

We have plently of threads that call for clowish responses.

I refer people back to the OP: the GOP is too fractured to rule. They can't act as a majority party because they don't agree on much.

Crepitus
07-23-2017, 05:44 PM
I wish people can be serious in serious topics.

We have plently of threads that call for clowish responses.

I refer people back to the OP: the GOP is too fractured to rule. They can't act as a majority party because they don't agree on much.

Whether you agree or not that is a serious answer.

Peter1469
07-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Whether you agree or not that is a serious answer.
Serious?

Crepitus
07-23-2017, 06:40 PM
Serious?

You are correct. They don't agree on much. This is what you get when you elect your representative based on what he will say no to. They have no experience or inclination to compromise much less act as a team.

Common
07-23-2017, 06:56 PM
I have a different take, they cant pass anything because Rand Paul and the extreme right contingency refuse to compromise one iota. They want it exactly how they want it and they dont care if the country is for it or not. Thats why nothing is getting done.

Peter1469
07-23-2017, 08:00 PM
You are correct. They don't agree on much. This is what you get when you elect your representative based on what he will say no to. They have no experience or inclination to compromise much less act as a team.

Dems are worse. They want you to let peverts into the bathrooms and showers with your children.

I say screw both major parties.

Crepitus
07-23-2017, 08:14 PM
Dems are worse. They want you to let peverts into the bathrooms and showers with your children.

I say screw both major parties.

That is both nonsense and has nothing to do with the current discussion.

The Rational Libertarian
07-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Damn it, if the cold war was still going on, then maybe the parties would be less extreme in their viewpoints and maybe we could pass some pretty reasonable sized legislation. I know that this isn't going to happen. I feel personally that america has nothing really to fight for; maybe terrorism for course, but only the republicans truely care about that. I think the sense of patriotism in america has given us less to agree on and more issues of less importance in our country.

Cthulhu
07-23-2017, 11:24 PM
I'm actually okay if that don't make new laws.

Any at all.

I'd be even happier if they got rid of some.

Sent from my evil cell phone.

IMPress Polly
07-24-2017, 06:42 AM
They struggle to pass major legislation because of us in the resistance who have done a lot of successful pressuring of the more "moderate" ones with vulnerable seats in particular to come out against the new health care proposal (whichever one it is this week).