PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Woman Ascends to 2nd

IMPress Polly
07-24-2017, 07:30 AM
Well it's now official: Wonder Woman has out-sold Guardians of the Galaxy 2, becoming the second-highest-grossing film of the year to date domestically (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2017&p=.htm). Not bad for an origin story! :cool2:

(I'm sure my sixth viewing on Saturday made the difference. :wink:)

Standing Wolf
07-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Isn't Justice League due out in November? Hopefully they will be able to springboard off WW's success and get some momentum (and increased fan support) going for the Universe. (I wasn't as down on BvS as a lot of people, but I hated Man of Steel.) Can't believe I have to wait almost a year and a half to see Jason Momoa in the solo Aquaman movie.

IMPress Polly
07-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Standing Wolf wrote:
Isn't Justice League due out in November? Hopefully they will be able to springboard off WW's success and get some momentum (and increased fan support) going for the Universe. (I wasn't as down on BvS as a lot of people, but I hated Man of Steel.) Can't believe I have to wait almost a year and a half to see Jason Momoa in the solo Aquaman movie.

I think it's possible that Justice League may be able to springboard off Wonder Woman's success, but frankly it will need to be a better movie in substance than the trailer I've seen suggests in order to sustain that momentum beyond its opening weekend. Normally DC movies have big opening weekends and then just collapse, and with Zack Snyder (Watchmen, Man of Steel, Batman v. Superman) directing the Justice League movie, I suspect that that's what may happen to that film as well.

Hal Jordan
07-31-2017, 02:15 PM
You mean Zack Snyder/Joss Whedon directing it. Whedon took over when Snyder had to step back from it for personal reasons.

Also, Wonder Woman is in Oscar talks, so it will likely be in the theaters even longer. Wonder where it will rank at the end of that run.

IMPress Polly
08-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Hal Jordan wrote:
You mean Zack Snyder/Joss Whedon directing it. Whedon took over when Snyder had to step back from it for personal reasons.

Also, Wonder Woman is in Oscar talks, so it will likely be in the theaters even longer. Wonder where it will rank at the end of that run.

Oh I didn't know that Joss Whedon had stepped in! Really? Well if that's true, it would be more promising because Whedon (perhaps best known as the creator of the '90s hit Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is still among my favorite TV shows) is someone with real talent for this kind of job. I sure hope you're right about that because that would be a positive development for the Justice League movie, in my view!

That's awesome. :smiley:

As to what it's prospects are, Wonder Woman has had a remarkably stable following throughout its run, typically seeing week-on-week ticket sale drop-offs of only one-third. You compare that with the other summer blockbusters (even Spider-Man: Homecoming) and it's pretty easy to see the difference. The Wonder Woman movie is riding the zeitgeist of this year and doing a spectacular job of it. Indeed, if Oscar consideration gets out, that could keep it in more theaters for longer as well.

As far as where it will ultimately rank though, I think I have a fairly good idea of that. Unless Justice League or Thor turn out to be megahits beyond expectations, it's probably going to wind up in 3rd for the year when the dust is settled. Wonder Woman has made $395 million at the domestic box office to date and appears certain to cross $400 million and challenge last year's Captain America: Civil War ($408 million). But getting all the way to first is an impossible goal for a film at this stage of its theatrical run. At this point, it is averaging less than a million dollars a day in domestic intakes and would have to wind up with a total of more than $504 million to top Beauty and the Beast. I don't see that as anywhere near a possibility. $400-410 million will satisfy me for sure. But then there's the real kicker: Star Wars: The Last Jedi. Pro tip: Star Wars always wins at the box office every time and the movie this one is a direct sequel to was popular with audiences. I expect it to make nothing less than $600 million domestically and perhaps even as a much as $1 billion. There's just no competing with Star Wars (especially mainline Star Wars) at the box office. Thus do I project for you the following as the top three highest-grossing films of 2017 when it's all over:

1) Star Wars: The Last Jedi
2) Beauty and the Beast
3) Wonder Woman

I think that's the realistic prediction anyway. And if I'm right about that, it would be remarkable in its own way because you may notice that those three films all have something in common. It would be the first time in Hollywood history that all three of the highest-grossing films had female leads.