PDA

View Full Version : Kurds want US to stay in Syria post-ISIL

Peter1469
07-25-2017, 06:13 PM
Kurds want US to stay in Syria post-ISIL (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/kurdish-official-says-us-role-essential-in-post-is-syria/2017/07/25/b46a4152-7143-11e7-8c17-533c52b2f014_story.html?utm_term=.3e2c3134139d)
The Kurds want the US to protect it from Turkey- an interesting spot to be in.

The Kurdish-led effort to secure Raqqa once it is liberated from the Islamic State group will require long-term U.S. political and financial support for the battered city’s governance and reconstruction, a senior Syrian Kurdish official said Tuesday.

In an interview with The Associated Press in the Kurdish-administered town of Kobani, Ilham Ahmed said the U.S. role in the fight against IS must not end with the liberation of the Raqqa but should continue as a guarantor of stability until a political future for the war-torn country is charted.

Ahmed is the co-president of the Syrian Democratic Council, the political wing of the U.S.-backed Kurdish-led force currently fighting to liberate the Islamic State group’s self-proclaimed capital of Raqqa from the militants. She is also a senior politician in the increasingly powerful Kurdish group that declared areas of self-administration in northern Syria last year, sparking the ire of Turkey, another U.S. ally.

Ankara considers the People’s Protection Units, or YPG, the Kurdish militia that forms the backbone of the Syrian Democratic Forces, as linked to the outlawed Kurdish insurgency in Turkey and fears their expansion along its borders.

donttread
07-25-2017, 08:16 PM
Kurds want US to stay in Syria post-ISIL (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/kurdish-official-says-us-role-essential-in-post-is-syria/2017/07/25/b46a4152-7143-11e7-8c17-533c52b2f014_story.html?utm_term=.3e2c3134139d)

Tell them to protect themselves.

Peter1469
07-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Tell them to protect themselves.

OK. I just told them that.

Don't miss the bigger picture (NATO)

IMPress Polly
07-29-2017, 09:39 AM
Not that this is directly relevant, but I'd like to point out the term "co-president" in the OP. That's how they do things in Rojava: they don't have just presidents for anything. Instead, to the applicable offices, they elect two presidents each: one is required to be male and the other to be female. That is a good system, and a real, structural solution to gender bias when it comes to major elections.

As to the actual subject of this thread, I support my comrades just about unconditionally.

Casper
07-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Just food for thought: Trump is selling arms to the Kurds, which I actually agree with, but that said, they and the Turks, a NATO Ally, are at odds and the Kurds have committed acts of terror inside Turkey. Personally I believe that Northern Iraq should be given to the Kurds for their homeland, they freed it from Saddam with little help from us and they have fought ISIS from Day 1, something I give them deep respect for having done and are still doing.

MisterVeritis
07-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Perhaps this stable region is a great place to send the refugees.

Ethereal
07-31-2017, 12:51 AM
Not that this is directly relevant, but I'd like to point out the term "co-president" in the OP. That's how they do things in Rojava: they don't have just presidents for anything. Instead, to the applicable offices, they elect two presidents each: one is required to be male and the other to be female. That is a good system, and a real, structural solution to gender bias when it comes to major elections.

As to the actual subject of this thread, I support my comrades just about unconditionally.

You realize that local autonomy is a pillar of the Syrian-Kurdish ideology, right?