PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Newly declassified memos detail extent of improper Obama-era NSA spying

DGUtley
07-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Newly declassified memos detail extent of improper Obama-era NSA spying. The American Civil Liberties Union has uncovered memos that show the National Security Agency (NSA) and FBI “violated specific civil liberty protections during the Obama administration by improperly searching and disseminating raw intelligence on Americans or failing to promptly delete unauthorized intercepts,”

Yet - nobody cares.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/343785-newly-declassified-memos-detail-extent-of-improper-obama-era-nsa#.WXh8pLnd7JM.twitter

Common Sense
07-27-2017, 03:09 PM
One of my biggest disappointments with Obama was the continuation of that program. I'm guessing elected leaders are pressured into them by the intelligence community. They are probably shown a lot of scary statistics and evidence of the programs successes. It doesn't make it acceptable, but it's a rationale.

I'm sure it wont change under this admin. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump helped expand these programs.

del
07-27-2017, 03:12 PM
Newly declassified memos detail extent of improper Obama-era NSA spying. The American Civil Liberties Union has uncovered memos that show the National Security Agency (NSA) and FBI “violated specific civil liberty protections during the Obama administration by improperly searching and disseminating raw intelligence on Americans or failing to promptly delete unauthorized intercepts,”

Yet - nobody cares.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/343785-newly-declassified-memos-detail-extent-of-improper-obama-era-nsa#.WXh8pLnd7JM.twitter

i assume this has all changed under the savior of the republic, no?

he seems like a real nuts and bolts guy.

Common Sense
07-27-2017, 03:17 PM
i assume this has all changed under the savior of the republic, no?

he seems like a real nuts and bolts guy.
That's the thing. Now Trump owns it. I wonder how outspoken and critical some might be. So far I haven't heard anything from them.

Most of Trump's appointees support expanding those powers, not reining them in.

resister
07-27-2017, 03:17 PM
That is two deflections, so far. This thread will be full of them!

But Obama was great! Most transparent admin. ever!

del
07-27-2017, 03:21 PM

no one said he was great, monkey

ripmeister
07-27-2017, 03:22 PM
I second the motion that this was one of the biggest disappointments with Obama. That, and the giveaway to the insurance companies under the ACA.

The Xl
07-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Land of the free.

resister
07-27-2017, 03:23 PM
Bugger off and get yet another 7 day ban, will ya?

DGUtley
07-27-2017, 03:28 PM
i assume this has all changed under the savior of the republic, no? he seems like a real nuts and bolts guy.
My guess is it won't change under Trump. Maybe Gorsuch can help cut it back. Remember him?

Common Sense
07-27-2017, 03:30 PM

What was a deflection in my post? Was there a specific part you disagreed with?

I find it weird that you can glean a whole host of things from a post that aren't there.

resister
07-27-2017, 03:32 PM
What was a deflection in my post? Was there a specific part you disagreed with?

I find it weird that you can glean a whole host of things from a post that aren't there.
Did you not change the topic to Trump!

Common Sense
07-27-2017, 03:55 PM

Is Trump not the current president? Has this stopped under Trump?

I indicted Obama in my first post. What more do you want me to say?

What do you think of the topic? Or would you rather just discuss me and other posters?

Adelaide
07-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Bugger off and get yet another 7 day ban, will ya?

Do not discuss moderation actions. Discuss the topic.

Do not insult other members. Discuss the topic.

del
07-27-2017, 04:19 PM
My guess is it won't change under Trump. Maybe Gorsuch can help cut it back. Remember him?
yeah, he's the guy who got the stolen scotus seat.

i'm sure he'll come through

Ethereal
07-27-2017, 04:22 PM
One of my biggest disappointments with Obama was the continuation of that program. I'm guessing elected leaders are pressured into them by the intelligence community. They are probably shown a lot of scary statistics and evidence of the programs successes. It doesn't make it acceptable, but it's a rationale.

I'm sure it wont change under this admin. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump helped expand these programs.

Congressional hearings have already shown these programs are not effective at stopping terrorism. The only concrete example of success they could produce was some taxi driver who sent a few thousand bucks to Somali terrorists or something. Edward Snowden and Glenn Greenwald have both said the purpose of these programs is social control and economic espionage, not security.

MisterVeritis
07-27-2017, 04:25 PM

Yet - nobody cares.

The weak, ineffective Republicans just go meekly along. Investigate, make recommendations to the FBI, prosecute and jail everyone involved.

When the law becomes lawless...

Common
07-27-2017, 04:34 PM

Yet - nobody cares.

Democrats never own up to anything, when you produce facts they just distract and start their insulting and changing the subject.

They will never utter a bad word about anything Obama and that clown devestated the democrat party.

Thank god trump is shredding much of the nonesense he created

Ethereal
07-27-2017, 04:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wIgK7vMOXU

Common
07-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Thats all the left here does, start a thread about rainbows and flowers and they will start railing on trump

Casper
07-27-2017, 05:16 PM
Democrats never own up to anything, when you produce facts they just distract and start their insulting and changing the subject.

They will never utter a bad word about anything Obama and that clown devestated the democrat party.

Thank god trump is shredding much of the nonesense he created

Hmmmm, being that several already had said that they thought what Obama had done was wrong, which is to continue the Bush plan, that would make you either ignorant of what was posted or you are a Liar, pick one.
Is trump shredding this particular piece of "nonsense"? Me thinks things are still going as they always have at the NSA, you just do not want to admit it.

If you are going to be "outraged" over the actions of Obama, then if you are truly honest, you would be outraged over the same actions by Bush and now Trump, are you?

DGUtley
07-27-2017, 06:08 PM
.....If you are going to be "outraged" over the actions of Obama, then if you are truly honest, you would be outraged over the same actions by Bush and now Trump, are you?

I am.

MisterVeritis
07-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Hmmmm, being that several already had said that they thought what Obama had done was wrong, which is to continue the Bush plan, that would make you either ignorant of what was posted or you are a Liar, pick one.
Is trump shredding this particular piece of "nonsense"? Me thinks things are still going as they always have at the NSA, you just do not want to admit it.

If you are going to be "outraged" over the actions of Obama, then if you are truly honest, you would be outraged over the same actions by Bush and now Trump, are you?
We do not know if the NSA violated the laws under Bush and now under Trump. We do know the NSA routinely broke the laws during the Obama regime. It is time for some perp walking all the way up to Obama.

They detail specific violations that the NSA or FBI disclosed to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court or the Justice Department's national security division during President Obama’s tenure between 2009 and 2016. The intelligence community isn't due to report on compliance issues for 2017, the first year under the Trump administration, until next spring.

MisterVeritis
07-27-2017, 06:19 PM
“Americans should be alarmed that the NSA is vacuuming up their emails and phone calls without a warrant,” said Patrick Toomey (http://thehill.com/people/patrick-toomey), an ACLU staff attorney in New York who helped pursue the FOIA litigation. “The NSA claims it has rules to protect our privacy, but it turns out those rules are weak, full of loopholes, and violated again and again.”
The intelligence community cannot be trusted. Is it time to burn it down? Should we fire everybody, start over with reliable American citizens who are well schooled in the Constitution?

When we find the coup plotters and execute them will that be a good time to start over?

Tahuyaman
07-27-2017, 11:24 PM
That's the thing. Now Trump owns it. I wonder how outspoken and critical some might be. So far I haven't heard anything from them.

Most of Trump's appointees support expanding those powers, not reining them in.

Trump owns the corruption and overreach of the Obama administration?

donttread
07-28-2017, 05:49 AM

Yet - nobody cares.

Exactly,. When Snowden told us , they said it was legal. We knew it wasn't but our young have been conditioned to be subjects not citizens. I think they sell info to marketers myself

Casper
07-28-2017, 07:55 AM
Trump owns the corruption and overreach of the Obama administration?
If he continues it, he is, then Yes, he does own it, too deep for ya?

Tahuyaman
07-28-2017, 08:06 AM
If he continues it, he is, then Yes, he does own it, too deep for ya?

If Trump continues it, that relieves Obama from being held accountable for the corruption of his administration?

Casper
07-28-2017, 08:14 AM
If Trump continues it, that relieves Obama from being held accountable for the corruption of his administration?
Nope, and I never suggested that it did? What I am pointing out is that two wrongs do not equal a right. So, if you want to hold Obama accountable then anyone that is a true American would also hold any other President that does the same thing as also being accountable.
There is an old adage: Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Tahuyaman
07-28-2017, 08:22 AM
Right. You and the average liberal will go,to any length to relieve Obama from being held accountable for the corruption he oversaw.

Casper
07-28-2017, 08:27 AM
Right. You and the average liberal will go,to any length to relieve Obama from being held accountable for the corruption he oversaw.
Now you are just being Dishonest, I asked you where I ever suggested such, instead you reply with another Lie. I think you have run out of valid argument and have resorted to lies because the truth puts on the spot. Pssst, I have no side other than the USA, you on the other hand show your Partisan thinking here daily, so if you want to find a hack, just go look in the mirror, and it will save you all that typing.

Safety
07-28-2017, 10:40 AM

Agreed, and on the flip side, if Obama dropped the program and a terrorist attack happened on our soil, you can imagine the conversation that would be taking place here.

MisterVeritis
07-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Does this mean you believe the Trump Administration will allow the NSA to continue to violate the law and the Constitution? Do you have any proof? Or is this just a feeling that the nation is already lost?

MisterVeritis
07-28-2017, 10:45 AM
Agreed, and on the flip side, if Obama dropped the program and a terrorist attack happened on our soil, you can imagine the conversation that would be taking place here.
The NSA under Obama routinely broke the existing laws. Do you understand that? He spied on American citizens and unmasked their identities for political gain. Do you understand that? The NSA crimes have nothing to do with counterterrorism. They were counter Republican Part and counter small d democratic ideals.

Safety
07-28-2017, 10:53 AM
The NSA under Obama routinely broke the existing laws. Do you understand that? He spied on American citizens and unmasked their identities for political gain. Do you understand that? The NSA crimes have nothing to do with counterterrorism. They were counter Republican Part and counter small d democratic ideals.

Provide two sources, one liberal and one conservative, that supports your statement, and then I'll consider what you say to be accurate.

MisterVeritis
07-28-2017, 11:33 AM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MisterVeritis http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=2098179#post2098179)

Provide two sources, one liberal and one conservative, that supports your statement, and then I'll consider what you say to be accurate.
There is no evidence I could provide that you would accept. Just note my comments so you can return to thank me in a month or so.

Safety
07-28-2017, 11:33 AM
http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MisterVeritis http://thepoliticalforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://thepoliticalforums.com/showthread.php?p=2098179#post2098179)

There is no evidence I could provide that you would accept. Just note my comments so you can return to thank me in a month or so.

Thanks for playing.

MisterVeritis
07-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Thanks for playing.
I am patient. I will be conclusively proven right, again. It is just a matter of time.