PDA

View Full Version : The Super NES Classic Edition

IMPress Polly
08-01-2017, 07:20 AM
So have you heard that Nintendo's releasing a new Super NES system in September (in limited quantities)? It's true! And it's looking like a pretty sweet deal. :cool2: For your $80 you will get the system, two controllers, and the following 21 games (assuming you live in North America), which I will list in order of my personal preference, with an asterisk by titles that I've never actually played:

Final Fantasy III
Secret of Mana
Super Metroid
Super Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
EarthBound
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
F-Zero
Super Mario Kart
Donkey Kong Country
Super Castlevania IV
Star Fox
Mega Man X
Super Mario World
Kirby's Dream Course
Kirby Super Star
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Ghosts n' Ghouls
Super Punch-Out!!*
Contra III: The Alien Wars*
...oh, and STAR FOX 2!!

That's right! Remember that direct sequel to Star Fox that was to be released for the Super NES in 1995, but got cancelled due to the company's focus on the Nintendo 64? Well it's back from the dead and comes built into the Super NES Classic Edition!!

That's a really good deal and an excellent way for people who never got to experience that era of gaming to tour some of its real highlights. A lot of them, actually. My biggest gripe is that there's no Chrono Trigger on this list, but that's forgivable, as I have a number of versions of Chrono Trigger on various platforms at this point.

And for retro-gamers like yours truly, this is a dream come true. My original system has stopped responding to me when I turn the power button on now and good luck finding replacement wiring that still works at this point. I mean yeah I can play the vast majority of my Super NES library on the Virtual Console now and everything, but for the more nostalgic among us, it's just not quite the same as using the original hardware and controllers. Nothing really is. Plus there's no other way to finally get Star Fox 2! So yeah, color me excited. :grin:

(Thought CreepyOldDude and The Xl might be particularly interested in this. :smiley:)

Safety
08-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Will they only make a couple of thousand and then stop making them like they did with the NES classic?

IMPress Polly
08-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Nintendo has said that they are prepared to ship "significantly more" of these than they did NES Classic systems, but they also have no new shipments slated beyond the end of the year, so I think it's going to be a seasonal thing. I would preorder now.

Safety
08-01-2017, 07:30 AM
Nintendo has said that they are prepared to ship "significantly more" of these than they did NES Classic systems, but they also have no new shipments slated beyond the end of the year, so I think it's going to be a seasonal thing. I would preorder now.

I was wanting to purchase one of the classic NES systems, but I was not going to pay over $275 for it because Nintendo stopped production.

IMPress Polly
08-01-2017, 07:37 AM
I believe I can understand that!

The Xl
08-01-2017, 10:40 AM
That game list is sick. Not sure how Chrono Trigger didn't make the cut though.

There is a market out there for old school gaming, and it would seem that it's finally being recognised.

The Xl
08-01-2017, 10:48 AM
I think they should consider releasing a handleheld sort of snes and N64 port. I think that would do yuge business.

IMPress Polly
08-01-2017, 11:03 AM
The XL wrote:
I think they should consider releasing a handleheld sort of snes and N64 port. I think that would do yuge business.

Been playing the Bernie Sanders video game have we? :tongue:

Ethereal
08-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Super NES was easily one of the best gaming systems ever made. So many good games. That list is awesome. Will buy.

IMPress Polly
10-01-2017, 11:21 AM
So did you, in fact, get one, @Ethereal (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=870)? If so, how are you liking Star Fox 2? Some are saying that it tries too many new ideas, while others like it's boldness of design. I'm in the latter camp. It may be my favorite Star Fox game! (Of course, counting this one as the second installment, I think only the first three are really noteworthy anyway, but nonetheless.)

Ethereal
10-01-2017, 11:35 AM
So did you, in fact, get one, @Ethereal (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=870)? If so, how are you liking Star Fox 2? Some are saying that tries too many new ideas, while others like it's boldness of design. I'm in the latter camp. It may be my favorite Star Fox game! (Of course, counting this one, I think only the first three are really noteworthy anyway, but nonetheless.)
I haven't got it yet. Just looked on Amazon and apparently there is a huge issue with scalpers right now. Definitely not going to pay more than retail for the system. Seems I will have to wait for the the price to come down.

nic34
10-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Funny, I just set up my old original NES and 32" jvc tv the other day. NEVER gets old...

IMPress Polly
10-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Ethereal wrote:
I haven't got it yet. Just looked on Amazon and apparently there is a huge issue with scalpers right now. Definitely not going to pay more than retail for the system. Seems I will have to wait for the the price to come down.

Aawww, you should've pre-ordered!