PDA

View Full Version : Empty State Department sapping morale, some staffers say: 'Death by a thousand cuts'

Bo-4
08-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Meh - who really needs things like a Coordinator of Cyber Security? Tillerson already turned down 80 million to fight Russian propaganda ... Putin is Pleased :rollseyes:

For four years, Ira N. Forman served as the U.S. special envoy to monitor and combat anti-Semitism, a State Department (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/politics-government/government/u.s.-department-of-state-ORGOV000000150-topic.html) post in which he advocated on behalf of Jewish communities at risk around the globe.

He resigned, as required for political appointees, on Jan. 20, the day President Trump (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/politics-government/donald-trump-PEBSL000163-topic.html)took office. But six months later, Forman and his staff have not been replaced.

“All the expertise has frittered away,” Forman said.

His is one of scores of empty offices in a demoralized State Department, where critics say a panorama of missing diplomats, analysts and bureaucrats is weakening the foreign policy mission and hurting efforts to project American values abroad.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-empty-state-department-20170804-story.html

Adelaide
08-06-2017, 11:45 AM
It seems dangerous to ignore the problems with the State Department. I get the idea of downsizing and reducing the budget, but it still has critical operations that may not be happening because of how it is being ignored.

Bo-4
08-06-2017, 11:47 AM
It seems dangerous to ignore the problems with the State Department. I get the idea of downsizing and reducing the budget, but it still has critical operations that may not be happening because of how it is being ignored.

State is an international laughing stock at present. Even agnostics and atheists need to pray there are no major incidents.

Cletus
08-06-2017, 11:49 AM
State was incredibly bloated and inefficient.

Trimming the fat there has been long overdue.

Ethereal
08-06-2017, 11:50 AM
The US State Department hasn't been a credible diplomatic institution for decades. They are nothing more than a front for CIA operations.

Bo-4
08-06-2017, 11:52 AM
The US State Department hasn't been a credible diplomatic institution for decades. They are nothing more than a front for CIA operations.

LoL - you honestly believe that huh?

Ethereal
08-06-2017, 12:05 PM
LoL - you honestly believe that huh?
I only believe what can be supported by evidence.

Cletus
08-06-2017, 12:22 PM
I only believe what can be supported by evidence.

The reality is that although the agencies are supposed to maintain a symbiotic relationship, the relationship is more often than not, adversarial. The two agencies frequently have different objectives and consider the other an impediment to achieving those goals.

Ethereal
08-06-2017, 12:25 PM
The reality is that although the agencies are supposed to maintain a symbiotic relationship, the relationship is more often than not, adversarial. The two agencies frequently have different objectives and consider the other an impediment to achieving those goals.
Their agendas seemed to coincide rather nicely in Ukraine and Syria. Instead of practicing diplomacy, State Department officials and agents were out in the streets fomenting insurrections that led to the complete collapse of political and social order in both countries.

Tahuyaman
08-06-2017, 12:47 PM
State was incredibly bloated and inefficient.

Trimming the fat there has been long overdue.

My brother in law works for the state department. He's in the foreign service currently on his last assignment. He will retire at the end of August.

He's a hard left winger and he supports the cuts being made. He says that the cuts should be much deeper than those now being executed.

Crepitus
08-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Meh - who really needs things like a Coordinator of Cyber Security? Tillerson already turned down 80 million to fight Russian propaganda ... Putin is Pleased :rollseyes:

For four years, Ira N. Forman served as the U.S. special envoy to monitor and combat anti-Semitism, a State Department (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/politics-government/government/u.s.-department-of-state-ORGOV000000150-topic.html) post in which he advocated on behalf of Jewish communities at risk around the globe.

He resigned, as required for political appointees, on Jan. 20, the day President Trump (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/politics-government/donald-trump-PEBSL000163-topic.html)took office. But six months later, Forman and his staff have not been replaced.

His is one of scores of empty offices in a demoralized State Department, where critics say a panorama of missing diplomats, analysts and bureaucrats is weakening the foreign policy mission and hurting efforts to project American values abroad.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-empty-state-department-20170804-story.html

Crippling the state department is insane.

Tahuyaman
08-06-2017, 03:16 PM
The state department is not being crippled by these cuts.

Why is is it that liberals believe only in government becoming bigger and more influential or dominant in every aspect of life? Government must get bigger. More legislation must be created. Taxes must always increase. More regulations must be imposed. More individual liberties must be taken away...

MisterVeritis
08-06-2017, 04:26 PM
I hope we are crippling the EPA and the Education Departments.

Safety
08-06-2017, 05:33 PM
I hope we are crippling the EPA and the Education Departments.

Yes, there is nothing more ironic than making sure the only f'king place we live can sustain life, and keeping the populace that votes for someone like Trump, uneducated.

Tahuyaman
08-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Of course we can't sustain life without giving government more power and taking away more individual liberties.

MisterVeritis
08-06-2017, 06:52 PM
Yes, there is nothing more ironic than making sure the only f'king place we live can sustain life, and keeping the populace that votes for someone like Trump, uneducated.
The EPA and Education departments are unconstitutional intrusions into rights the states and the people hold. The EPA should be reduced to a staff of about a dozen advisors. The Education department should be disbanded.

Wait! Do you foolishly believe the Education Department has anything to do with educating people? LOL. I love your sense of humor.

Safety
08-06-2017, 07:06 PM
The EPA and Education departments are unconstitutional intrusions into rights the states and the people hold. The EPA should be reduced to a staff of about a dozen advisors. The Education department should be disbanded.

Wait! Do you foolishly believe the Education Department has anything to do with educating people? LOL. I love your sense of humor.

LoL.

MisterVeritis
08-06-2017, 07:08 PM
LoL.
And you love your goofy sense of humor as much as I do. :grin:

Mini Me
08-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Its all part of the "Get Gov.t small enough to drown it in a bathtub" meme!

A functioning Gov't scares the GOP crooks!

Cannons Front
08-07-2017, 08:08 AM
The fact that we have enough "diplomatic" personnel in Russia that they can kick out nearly 800 people and we have any left, is proof that we have to many "diplomats" already.

Bo-4
08-07-2017, 08:15 AM
LoL.

Sometimes i think MV may be a satire .. but you honestly can't make his material up!

:laugh:

Grokmaster
08-07-2017, 08:04 PM

I'm sure it's hurting the entire Blame America platform he so diligently served...

Tahuyaman
08-07-2017, 08:34 PM
It's amazing how a modest cut in a budget can drive left wingers over the edge.

leekohler2
08-07-2017, 08:38 PM

Agreed, this is very bad.

Peter1469
08-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Agreed, this is very bad.

Not really- the OP was upset that a global anti-Semite unit didn't get its new political appointees and funding. Who cares? We are in 20$ T debt. Cuts must be made. That one seems to be a good place to start.

What does anti-Semite activity outside of the US have anything whatsoever to do with the US national interests?