PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana use holds three-fold blood pressure death risk:

Common
08-09-2017, 05:42 AM
People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday. The risk grows with every year of use, they said.
The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.
"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.
"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."
Marijuana is also sometimes used for medicinal purposes, such as for glaucoma.
The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 2005–2006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.
For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.
The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.
The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-marijuana-hypertension-idUSKBN1AP0JS

donttread
08-09-2017, 09:22 AM
People who smoke marijuana have a three times greater risk of dying from hypertension, or high blood pressure, than those who have never used the drug, scientists said on Wednesday. The risk grows with every year of use, they said.
The findings, from a study of some 1,200 people, could have implications in the United States among other countries. Several states have legalized marijuana and others are moving toward it. It is decriminalized in a number of other countries.
"Support for liberal marijuana use is partly due to claims that it is beneficial and possibly not harmful to health," said Barbara Yankey, who co-led the research at the school of public health at Georgia State University in the United States.
"It is important to establish whether any health benefits outweigh the potential health, social and economic risks. If marijuana use is implicated in cardiovascular diseases and deaths, then it rests on the health community and policy makers to protect the public."
The study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, was a retrospective follow-up study of 1,213 people aged 20 or above who had been involved in a large and ongoing National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. In 2005–2006, they were asked if they had ever used marijuana.
For Yankey's study, information on marijuana use was merged with mortality data in 2011 from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics, and adjusted for confounding factors such as tobacco smoking and variables including sex, age and ethnicity.
The average duration of use among users of marijuana, or cannabis, was 11.5 years.
The results showed marijuana users had a 3.42-times higher risk of death from hypertension than non-users, and a 1.04 greater risk for each year of use.

First factor out the cigarette smokers and heavy drinkers in the samples then talk to me about this. You are a dog with a bone I'll give you that. Have you ever actually been high?

Bo-4
08-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Oh Gawd - here we go again.

Send it to Jiffy Sessions .. probably more fact-based than the lies he's peddling at present.

:rolleyes:

leekohler2
08-09-2017, 09:38 AM
And? So do a lot of things. Should we ban those too?

Tahuyaman
08-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Do some people believe that smoking marijuana is completely harmless and poses no health risks in any way?

leekohler2
08-09-2017, 09:43 AM
When you're ready to ban alcohol too, let me know:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/blood-pressure/faq-20058254

Bo-4
08-09-2017, 09:48 AM
When you're ready to ban alcohol too, let me know:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-pressure/expert-answers/blood-pressure/faq-20058254

Yep, i take these brand new studies with a grain of salt. Remember 20 or so years ago when they said coffee was bad?

Then another study said coffee was good - then bad - then good - Bad - Good - Bad - GOOD!! etc (i think "GOOD!!" is the latest and probably final iteration ;-)

Common
08-09-2017, 11:21 AM
First factor out the cigarette smokers and heavy drinkers in the samples then talk to me about this. You are a dog with a bone I'll give you that. Have you ever actually been high?

Why did I know you would defend weed to the death :)

Since you asked if ive ever been high, yes when I was very young, now you wont like what I have to say.

I dont need to be drunk or high to enjoy life and I feel sad for anyone and everyone that does. I strongly dislike not having control over all my faculties and physical acruity. Last ive seen too many goddamn mangled young bodies because of weed and alcohol and dont even try to tell me weed doesnt cause accidents.

Weed is no wonder fricken drug and has MANY downsides, everytime theres a "factual negative" posted about weed you come along like a dog with a bone and start yelping about everything else but what the thread is about :)

Im not angry at you and I like you dontread you just need to get your head aired out and stop yanking on those fatties :)

Abby08
08-09-2017, 12:02 PM
A lot of things do that, actually.

Smoke, of any kind, is a Vaso-constrictor......it constricts blood flow, which limits blood flow, oxygen and key nutrients to the organs.

A diet high in sodium can cause high blood pressure.....so many other things do, as well, we can't ban/get rid of them all.

It's called, 'personal responsibility'.

resister
08-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Yep, i take these brand new studies with a grain of salt. Remember 20 or so years ago when they said coffee was bad?

Then another study said coffee was good - then bad - then good - Bad - Good - Bad - GOOD!! etc (i think "GOOD!!" is the latest and probably final iteration ;-)
Unless it relates to global warming hokum ;-)

Abby08
08-09-2017, 12:05 PM

Since you asked if ive ever been high, yes when I was very young, now you wont like what I have to say.

I dont need to be drunk or high to enjoy life and I feel sad for anyone and everyone that does. I strongly dislike not having control over all my faculties and physical acruity. Last ive seen too many goddamn mangled young bodies because of weed and alcohol and dont even try to tell me weed doesnt cause accidents.

Weed is no wonder fricken drug and has MANY downsides, everytime theres a "factual negative" posted about weed you come along like a dog with a bone and start yelping about everything else but what the thread is about :)

Im not angry at you and I like you dontread you just need to get your head aired out and stop yanking on those fatties :)

It's good to be passionate about causes in which you believe, but, alcohol causes more deaths than marijuana.

Bo-4
08-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Unless it relates to global warming hokum ;-)

Nah - established science is established science.

Btw, same thing happened with the studies on alcohol.

Now my doctor grins from ear to ear when i tell him i have a couple glasses of Pinot Noir or Cab Sav before dinner!

Bo-4
08-09-2017, 12:15 PM
A lot of things do that, actually.

Smoke, of any kind, is a Vaso-constrictor......it constricts blood flow, which limits blood flow, oxygen and key nutrients to the organs.

A diet high in sodium can cause high blood pressure.....so many other things do, as well, we can't ban/get rid of them all.

It's called, 'personal responsibility'.

Nice post Abby and good to see some consistency.

Becomes annoying when conservatives talk about personal responsibility until they turn red, and then tell us what we can and can't do with our bodies.

Right?

Abby08
08-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Nice post Abby and good to see some consistency.

Becomes annoying when conservatives talk about personal responsibility until they turn red, and then tell us what we can and can't do with our bodies.

Right?

Everyone needs to learn the meaning of, 'personal responsibility'. I don't like people telling me what I can or, can't do.

If something happens to me at some point, because of my lifestyle, that's on ME.

Abby08
08-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Someone smokes like a chimney their entire lives get cancer and sue the tobacco companies? Bullshit!

An obese person eats him/herself to death? No one's fault but that person.

Drink alcohol, drive drunk and kill someone? That's vehicular manslaughter.... period.

Take responsibility, people, actions have consequences......at least, they used to.

Bo-4
08-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Someone smokes like a chimney their entire lives get cancer and sue the tobacco companies? Bullshit!

An obese person eats him/herself to death? No one's fault but that person.

Drink alcohol, drive drunk and kill someone? That's vehicular manslaughter.... period.

Take responsibility, people, actions have consequences......at least, they used to.

Can we take that one extra step?

Women are in control of and get to make decisions about their own bodies ..

Therefore, decisions about birth control and abortion are out of bounds for politicians??

Yes!

Abby08
08-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Do some people believe that smoking marijuana is completely harmless and poses no health risks in any way?

Anything that alters your senses, is not good. That can even apply to some prescribed medications.

Tahuyaman
08-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Anything that alters your senses, is not good. That can even apply to some prescribed medications.

One can have a beer or glass of wine without altering your senses. One can't smoke marijuana without altering your senses.

Abby08
08-09-2017, 12:42 PM
One can have a beer or glass of wine without altering your senses. One can't smoke marijuana without altering your senses.

Plenty of people can't handle even one beer, one glass of wine. After one glass of wine, I feel altered, which is why I very rarely drink.

resister
08-09-2017, 12:44 PM
One can have a beer or glass of wine without altering your senses. One can't smoke marijuana without altering your senses.19253

resister
08-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Send it to Jiffy Sessions .. probably more fact-based than the lies he's peddling at present.

:rolleyes:19254

Tahuyaman
08-09-2017, 12:48 PM
Plenty of people can't handle even one beer, one glass of wine. After one glass of wine, I feel altered, which is why I very rarely drink.

I don't anyone where that applies. I do know plenty of people who don't like the taste of any alcoholic beverage.

Tahuyaman
08-09-2017, 12:51 PM
It's good to be passionate about causes in which you believe, but, alcohol causes more deaths than marijuana.

Alcohol is far more widely used.

texan
08-09-2017, 01:02 PM

I am not opposed to the legalization. That said, people with HBP / HPT need to be careful of masking their symptoms. For example Benadryl masked mine. It relaxed me and made me feel calm but the HP was still there. That would be my caution. I see people all the time that think it helps in that area. It may not be actually helping.

Hemp is way less damaging than alcohol for example. I don't believe its a "gateway" drug either.

The Xl
08-09-2017, 01:32 PM
And eating candy raises the risk of diabetes. So what?

resister
08-09-2017, 02:02 PM
19255 Rope a dope :)

resister
08-09-2017, 02:22 PM
19256 That's some heavy shit man!

Captain Obvious
08-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Fucking potheads...

Ethereal
08-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Notice it is referring to people who SMOKE marijuana. But marijuana can be vaporized or cooked into foods, so one can use it without smoking it.

Ethereal
08-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Of course not.

Ethereal
08-09-2017, 03:57 PM

These statements cannot both be true.

Ethereal
08-09-2017, 03:59 PM
Alcohol is far more widely used.
Alcohol is far more dangerous even when you control for the disparities in usage.

Tahuyaman
08-09-2017, 04:06 PM
Alcohol is far more dangerous even when you control for the disparities in usage.

Thats arguable.

Tahuyaman
08-09-2017, 04:07 PM
These statements cannot both be true.
They are.

Tahuyaman
08-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Of course not.

Are you assuming that you represent everyone's view?

Grokmaster
08-09-2017, 05:15 PM

:rolleyes:
Because smoking dope is "healthy", because one of it's extracts , CBD oil, is proving effective in treating some neurological/seizure disorders, right? ALL SMOKE damages your lungs, because of tar, and pot is chock full of it. You just call it "resin".

Feel free to pick your poison. Spare me the "Marijuana, the Miracle Drug", bullshit, please. CBD oil will be synthesized, shortly, and it isn't smoked, anyway.

Same Issues
08-09-2017, 08:49 PM

I agree, its all relative to the person in question. If someone does not drink alcohol or smoke marijuana just a little bit can alter their functions, people with tolerance can handle more of the drug in question without having effect. One beer can give me a buzz for 30 minutes if I have not drank one in a month. If I smoked a bowl of marijuana right now after over a year of no use I would be stoned for an hour. If I do those things regularly I would be unhappy with the effect of one beer or a bowl of weed, either wanting more or questioning why I wasted the money on either.

I can understand a glass of wine for eating......... But who drinks one beer and stops if they are drinking alcohol? Im sure its only a very small minority of drinkers, or like 18 year old girls who are feeling the effects and getting sick off after one beer:cheers:

resister
08-09-2017, 08:53 PM
I agree, its all relative to the person in question. If someone does not drink alcohol or smoke marijuana just a little bit can alter their functions, people with tolerance can handle more of the drug in question without having effect. One beer can give me a buzz for 30 minutes if I have not drank one in a month. If I smoked a bowl of marijuana right now after over a year of no use I would be stoned for an hour. If I do those things regularly I would be unhappy with the effect of one beer or a bowl of weed, either wanting more or questioning why I wasted the money on either.

I can understand a glass of wine for eating......... But who drinks one beer and stops if they are drinking alcohol? Im sure its only a very small minority of drinkers, or like 18 year old girls who are feeling the effects and getting sick off after one beer:cheers:
Well, if one smokes as often as you post, no problem!

Ravens Fan
08-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Sorry, but that is incorrect. Marijuana, just like alcohol, affects your body in direct proportion to how much you use. If you drink a beer or a glass of wine, your senses have been altered whether you realize it or not. Ever heard of "buzzed driving"?

It works the same with weed. You can take a few hits and just take the edge off, or you can smoke a few bowls or a bong and get a stronger buzz, just like if you continue drinking. Smoke a lot, and you will be stoned, just like when you drink to much and get drunk.

Also, much like alcohol, different people have different tolerances for pot. some people can smoke a few bowls and barely feel it, some take 2 hits and go straight for the fridge. Some people can drink a 6 pack and you would never know it, some drink a beer or a glass of wine, and they are passed out and hungover the next day.

resister
08-09-2017, 09:03 PM
Sorry, but that is incorrect. Marijuana, just like alcohol, affects your body in direct proportion to how much you use. If you drink a beer or a glass of wine, your senses have been altered whether you realize it or not. Ever heard of "buzzed driving"?

It works the same with weed. You can take a few hits and just take the edge off, or you can smoke a few bowls or a bong and get a stronger buzz, just like if you continue drinking. Smoke a lot, and you will be stoned, just like when you drink to much and get drunk.

Also, much like alcohol, different people have different tolerances for pot. some people can smoke a few bowls and barely feel it, some take 2 hits and go straight for the fridge. Some people can drink a 6 pack and you would never know it, some drink a beer or a glass of wine, and they are passed out and hungover the next day.Take me for example, I am a two toke guy. I tip back 10 16 ounce natty ice a day, can still wheely my bike and do track stands (keep both feet of the ground on by bike and not move, for at least a minute)

Tahuyaman
08-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Sorry, but that is incorrect. Marijuana, just like alcohol,...

No it's not. Not even close.

Mister D
08-09-2017, 09:05 PM
Take me for example, I am a two toke guy. I tip back 10 16 ounce natty ice a day, can still wheely my bike and do track stands (keep both feet of the ground on by bike and not move, for at least a minute)
10 16 ounce cans of Natty Light? Seriously?

resister
08-09-2017, 09:08 PM
10 16 ounce cans of Natty Light? Seriously?
Hell no, natty ICE.After kicking a meth hobby, that aint shit.

Mister D
08-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Hell no, natty ICE.After kicking a meth hobby, that aint $#@!.
Good God, sir. :shocked:

Mister D
08-09-2017, 09:12 PM
I do, however, admire your candor.

resister
08-09-2017, 09:15 PM
Good God, sir. :shocked:
Are you kidding, that is mild alcoholism. I rarely drink liquor and I generally wait until 3 PM. I still get done what needs done, granted, I know my liver will not tolerate that forever.

Mister D
08-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Are you kidding, that is mild alcoholism. I rarely drink liquor and I generally wait until 3 PM. I still get done what needs done, granted, I know my liver will not tolerate that forever.

Oh, it could be much worse. No doubt. When I was an alcoholic (early 20s) I didn't start until 7PM. Drank 7-9 beers on average.

resister
08-09-2017, 09:21 PM
Oh, it could be much worse. No doubt. When I was an alcoholic (early 20s) I didn't start until 7PM. Drank 7-9 beers on average.Shit! That aint no alcoholic, I used to be drunk if I was awake. I could put down 30 beers a day! (no BS)

Mister D
08-09-2017, 09:25 PM
$#@!! That aint no alcoholic, I used to be drunk if I was awake. I could put down 30 beers a day! (no BS)
I had an issue. I have met serious alcoholics who have destroyed their lives and that did give me some perspective but it's all a matter of degree.

resister
08-09-2017, 09:26 PM
I do, however, admire your candor.
Even when I get shit on the forum, I don't give a damn, I am who I am
https://youtu.be/6OxIt74oTo8

Dr. Who
08-09-2017, 09:26 PM

Marijuana tends to be primarily smoked because it is illegal. Legalization allows for the creation of edible marijuana products that do not carry the health risks of smoking, but in order for them to be more readily available, it requires production facilities. Such facilities exist now but generally on a very small scale and at considerable risk. Marijuana that is consumed rather than smoked has far fewer negative aspects than alcohol and the list of positive attributes continues to grow. There are only two reasons why marijuana is illegal. The first involves the history of hemp production and its threat to the pulp and paper industry. The second is the pharmaceutical industry that makes trillions of dollars selling addictive opiates as painkillers, many of which would disappear if marijuana was legalized. There are marijuana products out there that do not get you high, but simply kill pain and are non-addictive. Furthermore, as a general rule, cannabis strains with high amounts of both THC and CBD tend to make the best pain medicines, and there are plenty of high-CBD strains out there.

There has been a very sustained campaign to vilify marijuana for political reasons which has resulted in it becoming a cash cow for criminals and a drain on tax payers, yet there is no sensible reason to do so and as scientists are now legally able to test the properties of marijuana, they are discovering its efficacy for so many human ailments and as a recreational drug it is far less harmful than alcohol.

Mister D
08-09-2017, 09:27 PM
At this point my drinking during the week is pretty tame. 2 or 3 beers on a work night. On Saturdays 8 or 9.

resister
08-09-2017, 09:28 PM
I had an issue. I have met serious alcoholics who have destroyed their lives and that did give me some perspective but it's all a matter of degree.I been drinking the same amount for years, I will quit one day. Just not tomorrow!

Mister D
08-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Even when I get $#@! on the forum, I don't give a damn, I am who I am
https://youtu.be/6OxIt74oTo8
I don't look down on that sort of thing. Mister D is not bourgeois.

resister
08-09-2017, 09:37 PM
I don't look down on that sort of thing. Mister D is not bourgeois.
Don't buy or steal beer for kids, but many call me a low life, ask bethere. At least I don't insult forum members family. There is low life, then there is ​LOW LIFE.

Ethereal
08-09-2017, 10:53 PM
Thats arguable.
No, it really isn't. Alcohol is much more addictive and much more lethal in terms of its potential for overdose. Those are scientific facts.

Ethereal
08-09-2017, 10:56 PM
They are.
Wrong.

The effect a given drug has on a person is dose dependent. If there is an amount of alcohol you can ingest without feeling the effects, then there is also an amount of THC you can ingest without feeling the effects. In both cases, it simply requires one to take a small enough amount. This is actually basic chemistry and biology.

Ethereal
08-09-2017, 11:00 PM

Raven is 100% correct. The effect THC has on a person is not like a light switch where it is either on or off, stoned or sober. It occurs along a continuum depending on the amount ingested and the individual's physiology. This is actually basic chemical and biological science, which is probably why you are unaware of it.

Adelaide
08-09-2017, 11:22 PM
The study factored that in, as noted in the OP...

Adelaide
08-09-2017, 11:26 PM
And eating candy raises the risk of diabetes. So what?
I think the point of these studies, at this point, is to caution those who will possibly legally use marijuana products. No different than the continuous studies about other products. And... the pro-legalization crowd tends to advocate that there are no risks associated with use or just discount any studies because alcohol is worse, or whatever.

Hal Jordan
08-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Can we take that one extra step?

Women are in control of and get to make decisions about their own bodies ..

Therefore, decisions about birth control and abortion are out of bounds for politicians??

Yes!

Birth control also has other, life saving, uses as well. Just ask a doctor prescribing it for polycystic ovaries, or someone whose life was saved that way. One thing I learned having an ex-wife with that medical condition.

Hal Jordan
08-09-2017, 11:56 PM
Nearly all, actually.

Hal Jordan
08-10-2017, 12:24 AM
Thats arguable.

Not if you look at facts.

Hal Jordan
08-10-2017, 12:25 AM
They are.
Not even close.

Hal Jordan
08-10-2017, 12:34 AM

I suppose so. Overall, alcohol is far worse. Marijuana can increase the issues caused by alcohol, though.

Grokmaster
08-10-2017, 07:26 AM
I suppose so. Overall, alcohol is far worse. Marijuana can increase the issues caused by alcohol, though.

Nonsense. Alcohol, in moderation ,has proven health benefits. One can drink without getting "drunk". One cannot smoke dope without being "stoned". Not even close is right...

Ravens Fan
08-10-2017, 07:54 AM

I have been smoking pot since I was 12... I think I have just a little personal experience to speak from.

Ravens Fan
08-10-2017, 08:04 AM
Nonsense. Alcohol, in moderation ,has proven health benefits. One can drink without getting "drunk". One cannot smoke dope without being "stoned". Not even close is right...

Dope has not been a slang word for marijuana in decades, it now refers to heroin. Also, you couldn't be further from the truth when you say one cannot smoke pot without being stoned. You should probably go back and research the subject before making foolish statements.

Common
08-10-2017, 08:24 AM
Dope has not been a slang word for marijuana in decades, it now refers to heroin. Also, you couldn't be further from the truth when you say one cannot smoke pot without being stoned. You should probably go back and research the subject before making foolish statements.
Raven no matter what terminology you want to use to make smoking weed more attractive or safe, when you smoke weed you are stoned, meaning you alter your psyche. If weed didnt have a psychological effect no one would smoke it.

Ask any cop if people that smoke weed cause accidents and if many lose their motor skills.

resister
08-10-2017, 08:27 AM
Raven no matter what terminology you want to use to make smoking weed more attractive or safe, when you smoke weed you are stoned, meaning you alter your psyche. If weed didnt have a psychological effect no one would smoke it.

Ask any cop if people that smoke weed cause accidents and if many lose their motor skills.

Tahuyaman
08-10-2017, 09:48 AM
No, it really isn't. Alcohol is much more addictive and much more lethal in terms of its potential for overdose. Those are scientific facts.

There are other factors to consider, but you won't recognize them.

Tahuyaman
08-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Raven is 100% correct. The effect THC has on a person is not like a light switch where it is either on or off, stoned or sober. It occurs along a continuum depending on the amount ingested and the individual's physiology. This is actually basic chemical and biological science, which is probably why you are unaware of it.

Have you ever smoked marijuana?

Ravens Fan
08-10-2017, 10:26 PM

I am not trying to make it sound more attractive or safe, just using the correct terminology. Dope = Heroin.

When you smoke a small amount of weed, you get buzzed, very similar to the effect of a small amount of alcohol. When you smoke a moderate or large amount of weed, you get stoned, very similar to when you drink a moderate or large amount of alcohol, you get drunk. I never said that smoking any amount of weed doesn't alter your psyche, only that it is directly proportional to the amount you smoke... again, just like drinking. You and I have argued this for a long time, so I don't expect you to change your mind anytime soon. It is one of the few areas where our opinions differ, and it rather surprises me that after your years on the beat, you still think pot is that bad. Most of the cops I know, think it is a waste of time and not really a big deal... of course it is all but legalized here now, so opinions have been going that way here lately anyways.

I can also tell you that when I was active at the firehouse, I never had a call for anything pot related except one girl who felt weird after eating some brownies (she had never had pot before and consumed a lot.) Now if you meant people who smoke weed, plus are drinking, or doing something heavier, that I could agree with.

Ravens Fan
08-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Have you ever smoked marijuana?

Have you??

Tahuyaman
08-10-2017, 10:49 PM
Have you?? More than you've ever seen.

Hal Jordan
08-10-2017, 11:04 PM
More than you've ever seen.You assume much.

Coming to you from the depths of inner space

Ravens Fan
08-10-2017, 11:08 PM
More than you've ever seen.

Sorry man, but I find that awfully hard to believe for 3 reasons:

1. Your views on marijuana

2. The fact that you have told us about your time as a sherriff/corrections officer.

3. you have no clue how much I have ever seen, much less smoked. I won't turn this into a penis measuring contest, but let's just say that I have done my share... and your share, and his share and her share... you get the hint, lol.

Adelaide
08-10-2017, 11:16 PM
When I smoked pot regularly I had a tolerance. A single hit would not do anything except maybe make me a bit calmer. It also got to the point that I needed to take 2-4 tabs every 4 hours (yikes) of MDMA to get the effect. Everything that has an intoxicating effect also tends to have a tolerance level. Some people don't drink and one drink will make them tipsy, and the same applies to most drugs including marijuana.

Private Pickle
08-10-2017, 11:21 PM

2. The fact that you have told us about your time as a sherriff/corrections officer.

3. you have no clue how much I have ever seen, much less smoked. I won't turn this into a penis measuring contest, but let's just say that I have done my share... and your share, and his share and her share... you get the hint, lol.
Bet you haven't done my share.

Ravens Fan
08-10-2017, 11:26 PM
Bet you haven't done my share.

Give me time... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Who
08-10-2017, 11:37 PM

Similarly, alcohol, even one glass has some effect. Meanwhile, there are many beneficial aspects of marijuana, because unlike alcohol, it is not a toxin. Yes, alcohol is a toxin. It is a poison but like a number of other poisons, in reasonable quantities it is not deadly. Marijuana is not a toxin at all except if taken in utterly ridiculous quantities. Then again even water consumed in ridiculous quantities can kill you. Marijuana is a plant that happens to have cannabinoids that bind with your own natural cannabinoids. Those cannabinoids, unlike opiods, are non-addictive. Opiods reduce the release of dopamine and continued use creates a need to replace the missing dopamine. Cannabinoids have no such similar effect.

The negative press about marijuana has been manufactured by political interests. It has no basis in fact.

Hal Jordan
08-10-2017, 11:45 PM
Similarly, alcohol, even one glass has some effect. Meanwhile, there are many beneficial aspects of marijuana, because unlike alcohol, it is not a toxin. Yes, alcohol is a toxin. It is a poison but like a number of other poisons, in reasonable quantities it is not deadly. Marijuana is not a toxin at all except if taken in utterly ridiculous quantities. Then again even water consumed in ridiculous quantities can kill you. Marijuana is a plant that happens to have cannabinoids that bind with your own natural cannabinoids. Those cannabinoids, unlike opiods, are non-addictive. Opiods reduce the release of dopamine and continued use creates a need to replace the missing dopamine. Cannabinoids have no such similar effect.

The negative press about marijuana has been manufactured by political interests. It has no basis in fact.
In fact, it's far easier to die from water overdose than marijuana overdose.

Private Pickle
08-10-2017, 11:51 PM
Include cigarettes and coffee in on that.

Dr. Who
08-11-2017, 12:03 AM
Plus there is no such thing as a marijuana hangover, because marijuana is not a toxin. People seem not to realize that the sick feeling, headache and other side-effects of alcohol is because it is a poison, yet it is perfectly legal. Prescription opiods are perfectly legal, but are killing millions of people. Who has died from marijuana use?

Adelaide
08-11-2017, 12:25 AM
The biggest issues are when inexperienced marijuana users mix it with something else (without a "mentor") or uses a dealer they don't know (so the marijuana may be laced with something).

I used to throw awesome "lost weekend" raves where we would be awake for 2 days partying, crash on Sundays. Only drugs off-limits were meth, heroin and crack and never really had a problem with pot, coke, MDMA, shrooms, K, acid, so forth. It was alcohol that caused the most problems, if not all. It was always the drinkers. No one ever got alcohol poisoning only because I always made one person stay sober. There are a surprising amount of idiots who drink til they drop.

Hal Jordan
08-11-2017, 12:48 AM
Include cigarettes and coffee in on that.
Oh, a ton of things that are legal could be included. I'm not going to spend the time necessary to include all of them.

Tahuyaman
08-11-2017, 08:42 AM

I didn't become come a Deputy Sheriff until I was in my late 40's. I had a life in the 1970's. My views on marijuana are grounded in experience and reality. I don't know why you would say my views on marijuana suggest I've not smoked it during my life.

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:15 PM
I been drinking the same amount for years, I will quit one day. Just not tomorrow!

You mean you can quit whenever you want to. But you just never want to?

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:18 PM

Nope. Just that is is safrer than alcohol and tobacco and probably sugar. Who gives you the right to pick my poison? And the feds have no Constitutional authority over drug policy within the states, they simply usuruped that authority.

Grokmaster
08-13-2017, 02:19 PM

Bullcrap. THC dulls the synapses, and the tar (what you call "resin") , is absolutely toxic to the lungs.

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:20 PM

This one needs to be taken with a ton of salt. That's the only way pot can be that bad for your blood pressure! LOL

Grokmaster
08-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Nope. Just that is is safrer than alcohol and tobacco and probably sugar. Who gives you the right to pick my poison? And the feds have no Constitutional authority over drug policy within the states, they simply usuruped that authority.
You can control how stoned you are with alcohol far better than with pot.

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:33 PM

This study is right up there with the "refer Madness" propaganda. No way pot is this bad for your BP and nobody knew till now. In social science one "ill" is usually connected to several others. You have to factor that out. I doubt this study did so. What would be the medical mechanism by which pot has that much negative affect on BP?
But for your info I haven't smoked pot in well over 30 years, mostly because I'm afraid it would lead to me getting drunk and for me , that's where the real danger lies. Also, I do not promote pot has some cure all. It's just another way to get high or self medicate. But it is likely among the safest ways to do so. What gives you the right to pick my poison for me? I like you too, but I'm a little offended that you have misread who I am this badly . You did your job as a cop, you busted people for weed, you didn't make the laws. It's not your fault ,you no longer have to defend your actions.
This study will never hold up when others attempt to verify it and I think you know that.

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:35 PM
You can control how stoned you are with alcohol far better than with pot.

Not with edibles on the market, keep up with the times. Besides what's it matter. Really stoned people know they're stoned and just chill. Really drunk people think they're invincipable and venture out to take on the world.

Captain Obvious
08-13-2017, 02:38 PM
Not with edibles on the market, keep up with the times. Besides what's it matter. Really stoned people know they're stoned and just chill. Really drunk people think they're invincipable and venture out to take on the world.

Not me, I'm a happy drunk.

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:39 PM

That's because you're pissed off most of time you're sober. LOL Or so I gather from your post.

Ravens Fan
08-13-2017, 02:40 PM
I am too, but i have a tendancy to think I am still fine to drive no matter how far gone I am. That is why I only drink where i can stay the night now, no more bars for me unless I am not driving at all.

With weed, if I am too stoned, you couldn't force me to drive.

Captain Obvious
08-13-2017, 02:42 PM
I am too, but i have a tendancy to think I am still fine to drive no matter how far gone I am. That is why I only drink where i can stay the night now, no more bars for me unless I am not driving at all.

I don't drive when I'm drinking unless it's like a beer or two with dinner.

Don't go out that much, we went to a Rotary BBQ last evening, I was in charge of cutting the prime rib. Big crowd. I had... a lot but she drove.

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:49 PM
The article , which does not give enough info to evaluate the study procedures , does claim they factored in tobacco use but said nothing about heavy drinking or other drug use . They would need to sample people who's only variable was MJ. I also question just how many non tobacco using pot smokers were indentified . If this is confirmed it will be huge news. But it won't be so you'll probably never hear anymore about it.

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Exactly. Those are differences in the pharmachology of the two drugs. The one that decreases your ability to function but increase your confidence to function being the more dangerous of the two. It also explains those no calls backs after drunken one night stands! LOL

donttread
08-13-2017, 02:55 PM
I don't drive when I'm drinking unless it's like a beer or two with dinner.

Don't go out that much, we went to a Rotary BBQ last evening, I was in charge of cutting the prime rib. Big crowd. I had... a lot but she drove.

So how much of that prime rib "accidentally " fell into your trunk? LOL

Captain Obvious
08-13-2017, 02:59 PM
So how much of that prime rib "accidentally " fell into your trunk? LOL

One of the local restaurant owners spit roasted 6 turkeys and 4 huge prime ribs over mahogany. Neat setup he had, a huge dual rotissery (sp?) and a bunch of rusty sheet metal making a big V. Some serious shit too, they were there all day doing it.

I walked away with one lol, they made tons extra to auction off later on when everyone was drunk. I did walk away with one (half of one actually) but it cost me an benji, but that was ok. Went to the kitty for community stuff.

donttread
08-13-2017, 05:22 PM
One of the local restaurant owners spit roasted 6 turkeys and 4 huge prime ribs over mahogany. Neat setup he had, a huge dual rotissery (sp?) and a bunch of rusty sheet metal making a big V. Some serious shit too, they were there all day doing it.

I walked away with one lol, they made tons extra to auction off later on when everyone was drunk. I did walk away with one (half of one actually) but it cost me an benji, but that was ok. Went to the kitty for community stuff.

Good deal sounds wonderful.