PDA

View Full Version : Timur Tamerlane Tamburlaine the Great

Conley
10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Timur's military talents were unique. He planned all his campaigns years in advance, even planting barley for horse feed two-years ahead of his campaigns. He used propaganda, in what is now called information warfare, as part of his tactics. His campaigns were preceded by the deployment of spies whose tasks included collecting information and spreading horrifying reports about the cruelty, size, and might of Timur’s armies. Such psychological warfare eventually weakened the morale of threatened populations and caused panic in the regions that he intended to invade.

It is alleged that Timur's tomb was inscribed with the words: "When I rise from the dead, the world shall tremble." It is also said that when Gerasimov exhumed the body, an additional inscription inside the casket was found reading: "Who ever opens my tomb, shall unleash an invader more terrible than I".[53] In any case, two days after Gerasimov had begun the exhumation, Nazi Germany launched Operation Barbarossa, its invasion of the U.S.S.R.[54] Timur was re-buried with full Islamic ritual in November 1942 just before the Soviet victory at the Battle of Stalingrad (ref Marozzi 2004).

He invaded Baghdad in June 1401. After the capture of the city, 20,000 of its citizens - Muslims - were massacred. Timur ordered that every soldier should return with at least two severed human heads to show him (many warriors were so scared they killed prisoners captured earlier in the campaign just to ensure they had heads to present to Timur)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timur

This is a great article. Wow, talk about a bad ass...I had never even heard of him. Planting crops and rumors a couple of years before invading, pretty clever.

Mister D
10-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Yea, Tamurlane is a pretty famous dude. 8)

I like the prophecy stuff. :D

Conley
10-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Mainstream science can't explain that! Good move by the Ruskies to rebury him :D

Mister D
10-19-2011, 10:17 AM

Mainstream science can't explain that! Good move by the Ruskies to rebury him :D

:D ;) Was Tamurlane....I mean...could it be... :o

Conley
10-19-2011, 10:24 AM

:D ;) Was Tamurlane....I mean...could it be... :o

:D Heck yeah...there is no other explanation. Maybe we can dig him up again and drop him off in Tehran? ;D