PDA

View Full Version : More than half of Republicans would support postponing 2020 election

Chris
08-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Yikes!

More than half of Republicans would support postponing 2020 election (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/08/10/52-percent-republicans-would-support-postponing-2020-election/555769001/)

A poll found that 52% of people who identify as or lean Republican said they would support postponing the 2020 election to ensure that only eligible citizens could vote if it was proposed by President Trump.

...The poll also found that 56% said they would support such action — which would be taken to stop alleged voter fraud — if it was supported by both Trump and Republican members of Congress.

Trump has created a "voter integrity" commission to look at what he perceives as fraud in the U.S. election system. The commission met for the first time last month.

I get ensuring voter intgrity. I don't get postponing the election.

Newpublius
08-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Yikes!

More than half of Republicans would support postponing 2020 election (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/08/10/52-percent-republicans-would-support-postponing-2020-election/555769001/)

I get ensuring voter intgrity. I don't get postponing the election.

Its a faux outrage poll. The word postpone in most people's minds is innocuous at worst when unqualified. A baseball game gets postponed....for rain.

Chris
08-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Well, but isn't that the proposal, to put off elections if voting isn't cleaned up?

Safety
08-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Hmmm, Trump proposing what many on the right said Obama was going to do. Oh the irony.

Chris
08-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Hmmm, Trump proposing what many on the right said Obama was going to do. Oh the irony.

I was going to say Trump like Obama wants to be King.

https://i.snag.gy/2mo0lc.jpg

Game of Thrones.

Safety
08-11-2017, 01:02 PM
I was going to say Trump like Obama wants to be King.

https://i.snag.gy/2mo0lc.jpg

Game of Thrones.

The only difference is Obama never suggested such a thing, yet that didn’t stop many here from running with that narrative. And on the flip side it appears that Trump suggested such a thing and there are conservatives that agree with it.

Newpublius
08-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Well, but isn't that the proposal, to put off elections if voting isn't cleaned up?

That poll is taking place in a context of course. And people glean that context. Trump has not proposed that and the poll says that is is measuring response to a 'hypothetical'

GIVEN, postponing an election would require what we would all consider to be 'good cause'
GIVEN, the affirmative respondants are pro-Trump and hence trust Trump's judgment
THEREFORE, any affirmative respondent is responding under the assumption that a Trump postponement would be for good cause.

Ask them if Trump can postpone an election for any reason, including a stupid fucking reason and even a morally wrong reason.

See how many say yes to that and then get back to me.

"Still, it's important to note that no Republican politician, including the president, has actually suggested this."

resister
08-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Sounds like a leading question poll, bet the thought would never have occurred until the pollster bought it up.

Chris
08-11-2017, 01:09 PM
That poll is taking place in a context of course. And people glean that context. Trump has not proposed that and the poll says that is is measuring response to a 'hypothetical'

GIVEN, postponing an election would require what we would all consider to be 'good cause'
GIVEN, the affirmative respondants are pro-Trump and hence trust Trump's judgment
THEREFORE, any affirmative respondent is responding under the assumption that a Trump postponement would be for good cause.

Ask them if Trump can postpone an election for any reason, including a stupid fucking reason and even a morally wrong reason.

See how many say yes to that and then get back to me.

"Still, it's important to note that no Republican politician, including the president, has actually suggested this."

Oh, OK, my bad.

leekohler2
08-11-2017, 01:25 PM

And look, the right doesn't care.

Tahuyaman
08-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Yikes!

I get ensuring voter intgrity. I don't get postponing the election. you don't need to postpone an election. Just enforce the freaking law.

Tahuyaman
08-11-2017, 01:29 PM

I didnt hear Trump propose cancelling or delaying the election. Can you show me when and where he said this?

Chris
08-11-2017, 01:30 PM
I didnt hear Trump propose cancelling or delaying the election. Can you show me when and where he said this?

It was my bad. I didn't verify sources.

Tahuyaman
08-11-2017, 01:34 PM
It was my bad. I didn't verify sources.
My question was directed st Safety who made this claim.

The Xl
08-11-2017, 01:58 PM
Stopping the election would be retarded and an abuse of power, but it's way to easy to fraud our elections, so something needs to be done about that.