PDA

View Full Version : The POTUS and The Button

ripmeister
08-24-2017, 02:49 PM
I've often wondered about the nuclear issue and whether or not the system we have set up that essentially puts the decision in the hands of one person makes sense. On the one hand there needs to be a system of rapid response but on the other hand should that decision really be left up to one person? There's been a lot thrown around about this topic when it comes to the current POTUS and I think much of it is overblown but it does raise the important question as to whether one individual should have this responsibility and if not are there any good alternatives that would ensure a rapid response if necessary. I don't intend to bait anyone here on this subject as I've thought about this topic for years after first seeing Dr. Strangelove. Should the POTUS have this power and responsibility and if not what are the alternatives?

Kalkin
08-24-2017, 03:04 PM
The POTUS and The Button
The Wannabe POTUS and The Other Button
http://thepoliticalforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19648&stc=1

jimmyz
08-24-2017, 03:08 PM
I would guess that the handling of nuke launch codes and their issuance between the POTUS and the subs, silos and airborne units carrying the nukes is very classified and would not be answerable here. It's not like an actual button can be pressed by Trump in some manic manner.

resister
08-24-2017, 03:09 PM
I would guess that the handling of nuke launch codes and their issuance between the POTUS and the subs, silos and airborne units carrying the nukes is very classified and would not be answerable here. It's not like an actual button can be pressed by Trump in some manic manner.
We all remember Hillary portraying it that way.

resister
08-24-2017, 03:10 PM
The Wannabe POTUS and The Other Button

http://thepoliticalforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19648&stc=1
The button should actually say "regret" lol

MisterVeritis
08-24-2017, 03:15 PM
I've often wondered about the nuclear issue and whether or not the system we have set up that essentially puts the decision in the hands of one person makes sense. On the one hand there needs to be a system of rapid response but on the other hand should that decision really be left up to one person? There's been a lot thrown around about this topic when it comes to the current POTUS and I think much of it is overblown but it does raise the important question as to whether one individual should have this responsibility and if not are there any good alternatives that would ensure a rapid response if necessary. I don't intend to bait anyone here on this subject as I've thought about this topic for years after first seeing Dr. Strangelove. Should the POTUS have this power and responsibility and if not what are the alternatives?
Yes. One person gets to be the decider.

I am very conversant with the system as it existed in the 1990s.

ripmeister
08-24-2017, 03:18 PM

I really don't know what the logistics are etc. but it does seem that its pretty much up to the POTUS. Perhaps I'm wrong.

ripmeister
08-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Yes. One person gets to be the decider.

I am very conversant with the system as it existed in the 1990s.

Perhaps you could enlighten us on some specifics. Is it a good or appropriate system in your opinion?

jimmyz
08-24-2017, 03:22 PM
Perhaps you could enlighten us on some specifics. Is it a good or appropriate system in your opinion?
MisterVeritis can you even answer this? Classified is my guess even though you're retired.

MisterVeritis
08-24-2017, 04:12 PM
It is a good system. It is designed to ensure appropriate decisions can be made in a timely manner. The system is regularly exercised.

I cannot give you specifics. The single integrated operations plan (SIOP) is protected as Extremely Sensitive Information (ESI). SIOP-ESI. apparently no longer exists. It has been replaced with a new designation. But the purpose is the same.

MisterVeritis
08-24-2017, 04:13 PM
@MisterVeritis (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1287) can you even answer this? Classified is my guess even though you're retired.
Right. I cannot provide any details. I spent almost 5 years in the nuclear command and control system as an intelligence officer.

MisterVeritis
08-24-2017, 05:02 PM
And, there is no button.

jimmyz
08-24-2017, 05:36 PM
And, there is no button.

The movie Dr. Strangelove and how I.... comes to mind

MisterVeritis
08-24-2017, 06:13 PM
The movie Dr. Strangelove and how I.... comes to mind
There has never been a button. Ever. :-)

jimmyz
08-24-2017, 06:39 PM
There has never been a button. Ever. :-)

No. I get that. I was talking about all the pre-launch machinations you have to go through before launch. Like this -

https://youtu.be/QSbPqin3L6E

I suppose subs and silos have a similar checklist and process before launch

MisterVeritis
08-24-2017, 08:26 PM
No. I get that. I was talking about all the pre-launch machinations you have to go through before launch. Like this -
I suppose subs and silos have a similar checklist and process before launch
While true the command and control portion of the system involves knowing the situation, knowing the plan, communicating the plan. Then executing the plan.