PDA

View Full Version : Warning: The Extremely Stupid Controversy Over ESPN Announcer Robert Lee, Summarized

Chris
08-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Good grief, Charlie Brown!

The Extremely Stupid Controversy Over ESPN Announcer Robert Lee, Summarized (http://digg.com/2017/robert-lee-espn-controversy-explained)

On Tuesday, ESPN reassigned a sports announcer by the name of Robert Lee from calling a football game at University of Virginia on September 2. (Lee was reassigned to cover a game in Pittsburgh on the ACC Network Extra channel.)

The decision stemmed from the fact that Lee's name resembles that of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, a statue of whom was the rally point of white supremacist protestors who incited violence in Charlottesville — the home of the University of Virginia — earlier this month.

https://i.snag.gy/HWCYoS.jpg

For everything you need to know about the extremely dumb fallout from ESPN's decision, read on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x5xtBFNdKs

Chris
08-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Here's another from left field...

Confederate monument controversy makes way to Ireland (http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/24/europe/tuam-ireland-confederate-controversy-dick-dowling/index.html)

https://i.snag.gy/rockBQ.jpg

The controversy over America's Confederate monuments has made its way across the pond.

On the facade of the Tuam Town Hall in County Galway is an unassuming bronze plaque that, after two decades in the damp climate of western Ireland, almost blends into the building's gray stone facade.

It honors Dick Dowling, an Irish-born hero of the Confederacy.

After hundreds of white nationalists and other right-wing groups converged on Charlottesville, Virginia, to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, calls to take down homages to the Confederacy reached their zenith. From Baltimore and Florida to Texas and California, memorials came down

More than 3,000 miles away from Charlottesville, County Galway Councilor Shaun Cunniffe heard calls as well -- six, to be exact. The callers had read about the Dowling plaque and wanted it removed, Cunniffe said.

silvereyes
08-24-2017, 05:02 PM
That's just fucking stupid. Ugh.

Common
08-24-2017, 05:05 PM
The left has gone nuts and america is going to soundly reject them

Standing Wolf
08-24-2017, 05:41 PM

I have my doubts that the "Robert Lee" story is as advertised, but even if it is you would be hard pressed to find anyone on "the left" who doesn't think it's as stupid as you do, C.

Ethereal
08-24-2017, 05:47 PM
I have my doubts that the "Robert Lee" story is as advertised, but even if it is you would be hard pressed to find anyone on "the left" who doesn't think it's as stupid as you do, C.

You severely underestimate the stupidity of many on the left.

Standing Wolf
08-24-2017, 05:54 PM

Not at all...and I likewise have no illusions about the "brain trust" represented by many on the right. I do my level best not to generalize, however. Not always easy to do these days, given the blind, hysterical loyalty to Cheeto Jeus so many on the right have allowed to cloud their vision and which has caused them to defend the indefensible at every turn...but I try.

Chris
08-24-2017, 05:57 PM
Not at all...and I likewise have no illusions about the "brain trust" represented by many on the right. I do my level best not to generalize, however. Not always easy to do these days, given the blind, hysterical loyalty to Cheeto Jeus so many on the right have allowed to cloud their vision and which has caused them to defend the indefensible at every turn...but I try.

I likewise have no illusions about the "brain trust" represented by many on the right. I do my level best not to generalize, however.

You just did.

So, no, you do not try.

del
08-24-2017, 05:59 PM
thus spake the arbiter

Standing Wolf
08-24-2017, 06:08 PM
I likewise have no illusions about the "brain trust" represented by many on the right.

You just did.

So, no, you do not try.

Chris, you're just going to keep embarrassing yourself until you learn that you can't ignore the words you don't want to be there.

"Generalizing", in this context, means writing things like "the left" this, and "liberals" that - without the qualifying "some" or even "many".

As has been pointed out many times on this forum, one of the starkest differences between LW and RW posters here is that the former tend to attack and criticize small groups, individuals and stupid policies of the Right without necessarily feeling as though they have to condemn the Right as an entity; RW posters don't seem to believe they've done their job unless they accuse every liberal of any- and everything bad, silly or stupid that any leftist has ever said or done.

Chris
08-24-2017, 07:02 PM
Chris, you're just going to keep embarrassing yourself until you learn that you can't ignore the words you don't want to be there.

"Generalizing", in this context, means writing things like "the left" this, and "liberals" that - without the qualifying "some" or even "many".

As has been pointed out many times on this forum, one of the starkest differences between LW and RW posters here is that the former tend to attack and criticize small groups, individuals and stupid policies of the Right without necessarily feeling as though they have to condemn the Right as an entity; RW posters don't seem to believe they've done their job unless they accuse every liberal of any- and everything bad, silly or stupid that any leftist has ever said or done.

Oh, I see, generalizing is only bad when it's used against the left. Your overgeneralizing about the right is good. Do I have that right now, Wolf?

Chris
08-24-2017, 07:03 PM
thus spake the arbiter

We're all arbiters, del. Or do you have no moral compass?

Chris
08-24-2017, 07:29 PM

Also, http://www.snopes.com/2017/08/23/robert-lee-espn/: "There is no dispute that Robert Lee was moved off covering a University of Virginia football game for ESPN because of the coincidence of his name."

The Xl
08-24-2017, 07:32 PM
This may not represent all on the left, but stuff like this was the logical next step. It has been enabled and trending this way.

Ethereal
08-24-2017, 07:35 PM

Your definition of "the right" is just "non-liberals".

Ethereal
08-24-2017, 07:35 PM
thus spake the arbiter
Thus spake the clown.

Ethereal
08-24-2017, 07:37 PM

Liberals tend to coalesce and engage in rampant groupthink, so generalizing about them is warranted at times. Just look at your guys lunatic obsession with "Russian collusion", for example.

Standing Wolf
08-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Oh, I see, generalizing is only bad when it's used against the left. Your overgeneralizing about the right is good. Do I have that right now, Wolf?

Chris, when you pretend (?) not to understand what you've just read, you only make yourself appear ridiculous.

Modifying a characterization by using words like "some" or even "many" is not the same as writing "liberals are insane" or "liberals hate their mothers", or any of the cretinous generalizations posted here every day by you and your buddies.

You bring the entire forum down with your juvenile whining.

resister
08-24-2017, 11:41 PM
We're all arbiters, del. Or do you have no moral compass?
Seeing as he asked me if my wife is dead yet? No, no moral compass, in addition to being subhuman scum. He is a real lowlife.

silvereyes
08-25-2017, 01:02 AM

Sigh.

While you severely and harshly judge all liberals with jaded eyes.

silvereyes
08-25-2017, 01:04 AM
You just did.

So, no, you do not try.

Wrong. He plainly said "many" just as Eth did.

Bethere
08-25-2017, 01:06 AM

Espn found an effective way to get us to talk about a football game between Virginia and William &Mary.

They are freaking geniuses.

resister
08-25-2017, 01:06 AM
Sigh.

How do you feel about post #19 silvereyes Seeing as you like to quote my insults, can you find me asking if someones spouse is dead yet? Why don't you call out such scum?

resister
08-25-2017, 01:14 AM
How do you feel about post #19 @silvereyes (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1218) Seeing as you like to quote my insults, can you find me asking if someones spouse is dead yet? Why don't you call out such scum?
Don't worry, I would ignore this post, too.

silvereyes
08-25-2017, 01:20 AM
How do you feel about post #19 silvereyes Seeing as you like to quote my insults, can you find me asking if someones spouse is dead yet? Why don't you call out such scum?

What are you talking about? I haven't looked yet. Jesus. Give me time. I'm kinda busy down here.

resister
08-25-2017, 01:25 AM
What are you talking about? I haven't looked yet. Jesus. Give me time. I'm kinda busy down here.Your pals Bethere and del, continue to make fun of my wife, even knowing she is in the ICU. Del asked me tonight if she was dead yet.

You seem to be a master of the search function when it comes to my post. I challenge you to search dels and betheres post concerning my wife silvereyes

silvereyes
08-25-2017, 01:26 AM
Seeing as he asked me if my wife is dead yet? No, no moral compass, in addition to being subhuman scum. He is a real lowlife.

Ugh.
1. I haven't seen him ask you, or anyone, that.
2. If I had then I would have said something.
3. You saw me jump Jim's ass so don't you dare accuse me of anything.
4. I don't know what started any of y'all's bullshit mess but ALL OF IT needs to fucking stop.
5. Y'all all need to quit dragging this vendetta shit all over the forum. Everyone is probably sick of it.

del knock that crap off. My understanding is that this kind of shit is off-limits. So stop.

silvereyes
08-25-2017, 01:28 AM
Your pals Bethere and del, continue to make fun of my wife, even knowing she is in the ICU. Del asked me tonight if she was dead yet.

You seem to be a master of the search function when it comes to my post. I challenge you to search dels and betheres post concerning my wife silvereyes

Dude, I just said what I'm going to. Y'all need to keep this shit in the hole.

silvereyes
08-25-2017, 01:31 AM
Don't worry, I would ignore this post, too.

Stop @ing me just to drag me into y'all's bullshit.
And you can also stop being a dick implying I'm ignoring something. I've got real life stuff to worry about tonight....like making sure all my kids are going to be in safe places.

Ugh ugh ugh.

resister
08-25-2017, 01:32 AM
Dude, I just said what I'm going to. Y'all need to keep this shit in the hole.
I aprriciate your sentiment but you can be a master of multi quoting any damn thing a conservative ever said, if you multi quote them, most people will vomit.

resister
08-25-2017, 01:34 AM
Stop @ing me just to drag me into y'all's bullshit.
And you can also stop being a dick implying I'm ignoring something. I've got real life stuff to worry about tonight....like making sure all my kids are going to be in safe places.

Ugh ugh ugh.
OK, stop dropping in out of nowhere and multiquoting me, or I will call you on it.

silvereyes
08-25-2017, 01:48 AM
OK, stop dropping in out of nowhere and multiquoting me, or I will call you on it.

Look, I will post when I want and how I post. Period. You don't get to dictate how anyone behaves here except yourself. For some reason you have a huge attitude problem.
Dropping in out nowhere? Wtf. I don't have the luxury of sitting here 24/7. I drop by at MY leisure, not YOURS.

resister
08-25-2017, 01:53 AM
Look, I will post when I want and how I post. Period. You don't get to dictate how anyone behaves here except yourself. For some reason you have a huge attitude problem.
Dropping in out nowhere? Wtf. I don't have the luxury of sitting here 24/7. I drop by at MY leisure, not YOURS.
Forgive me, I am frustrated and lashing out at the wrong person, you did not attack my wife.

I just hate your pals that did so.

It was wrong for me to lash out at you.

silvereyes
08-25-2017, 02:00 AM
Forgive me, I am frustrated and lashing out at the wrong person, you did not attack my wife.

I just hate your pals that did so.

It was wrong for me to lash out at you.

Thank you. I was seriously floored because I do call out shit when I see it. I admittedly miss alot because I'm absent alot...but I KNOW you saw me not backing down on Jim the other day.

resister
08-25-2017, 02:05 AM
Thank you. I was seriously floored because I do call out shit when I see it. I admittedly miss alot because I'm absent alot...but I KNOW you saw me not backing down on Jim the other day.
That is true.

AeonPax
08-25-2017, 02:18 AM
`
`
What could have been an easy to discuss issue here has once again been hijacked by the partisans here, further eroding any credibility this forum has remaining.

resister
08-25-2017, 02:22 AM
I am a little angry, skip to about 1;25
https://youtu.be/HCBPmxiVMKk

Common
08-25-2017, 05:05 AM
Whether the left embraces it or not, the independents and non affiliated will see its all apart of the antifa idiots raging around the country and CNN and MSBNC blasting about robert e Lee statues ruining the country and the are Most definitely the far left

There are many things republicans or supposed republicans do that I dont agree with that effect politics.

The bottom line america does not like what the left has caused in this country. Only the left does

Common
08-25-2017, 05:07 AM

Oh and dont doubt the story its true

Ransom
08-25-2017, 06:13 AM
What are you talking about? I haven't looked yet. Jesus. Give me time. I'm kinda busy down here.
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.x3qtjwNMzHwUZ712EkLHLwEsEs&w=209&h=209&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.25&pid=1.7

Ransom
08-25-2017, 06:15 AM
Your pals Bethere and del, continue to make fun of my wife, even knowing she is in the ICU. Del asked me tonight if she was dead yet.

You seem to be a master of the search function when it comes to my post. I challenge you to search dels and betheres post concerning my wife @silvereyes (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1218)
Resister....for you wife.....place those two on ignore. Stupid is as stupid does. Can't change that.

DGUtley
08-25-2017, 06:44 AM

Chris
08-25-2017, 08:01 AM
This may not represent all on the left, but stuff like this was the logical next step. It has been enabled and trending this way.

Things just get out of hand, get silly.

Chris
08-25-2017, 08:08 AM
Chris, when you pretend (?) not to understand what you've just read, you only make yourself appear ridiculous.

Modifying a characterization by using words like "some" or even "many" is not the same as writing "liberals are insane" or "liberals hate their mothers", or any of the cretinous generalizations posted here every day by you and your buddies.

You bring the entire forum down with your juvenile whining.

This is good. You can see how you're doing what you criticize, overgeneralize, so, yes, ahah! there must be something wrong with me, I must be pretending, I must not understand, I'm ridiculous.
'
Nice ad hom, wolf, fallacious as hell, but nice ad hom. I bet you must convince one or two people with it. --Oh, wait, not ad hom, an insult. --Oh, wait, no, not that, just an observation. Isn't that how you usually weasle out of this?

Some and many are generalizations, wolf. You're not talking about individuals, not talking about particular instances, you are generalizing about a group.

Seems to me, wolf, you're doing the whining here. I simply pointed out your hypocrisy.

Chris
08-25-2017, 08:10 AM

Sigh.

Hold on now. According to wolf using words like some and many is not generalizing. Wolf in criticizing common though did generalize.

Chris
08-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Wrong. He plainly said "many" just as Eth did.

But you just criticized Eth for overgeneralizing. He modified with many. Wolf did as well. So what is it, Eth overgeneralized but wolf didn't?

I give you credit, unlike Wolf, you didn't launch into a personal attack.

Chris
08-25-2017, 08:15 AM
`
`
What could have been an easy to discuss issue here has once again been hijacked by the partisans here, further eroding any credibility this forum has remaining.

Right, the whole thing, the whole PC thing, is silly, posted for a laugh, but some people get so serious and start attacking others--as if it means something.

Standing Wolf
08-25-2017, 08:17 AM
Oh and dont doubt the story its true

Yeah, I have heard "news" reports confirming it. Pretty amazing, but again...only a very small number of Special Interest Liberals will think what they did makes any kind of sense.

I posted a story the other day about a couple of schools that are having their names changed to take out the "Lynch" (the name of the family that donated the land they're built on). There are probably folks who think that makes sense, too. I'm actually waiting for a "Lynch" or maybe a "Coon" to get beaten or stabbed one of these days...or maybe just feel compelled to change his or her name in order to avoid trouble.

Oddly enough, when I was in the Navy, a young Black man from Maine whose last name was Coon - yes, I know...the joke writes itself, doesn't it?...checked into my command, and I had to ask him, "Have you ever thought about changing your name?", and he responded, "No...why?" He had never in his life heard his name used as a racial epithet. I told him, "Well, you're in Tennessee now, and the first time one of your buddies yells across the bar, 'Hey, Coon!', you'll find out why".

Adelaide
08-25-2017, 08:23 AM
General warning to remind users that discussing the Hole should not occur on the main forum. Please stick to discussing the topic.

Ethereal
08-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Announcer: And what are you thoughts, Robert Lee?
Lee: The honor of Virginia is at stake. If they do not advance the ball past the transverse line demarcating the normal field of play from the end zone with sufficient frequency, victory and its attendant glory will elude them. My recommendation would be to concentrate the bulk of their manpower and matériel on attacking the enemy from the air.
Announcer: You mean passing the ball?
Lee: Indeed, sir.

Adelaide
08-25-2017, 09:04 AM
This seems extremely silly.

Chris
08-25-2017, 11:52 AM

Trump gets elected and the country goes to hell in a handbasket.

With spillover into Ireland.

leekohler2
08-25-2017, 11:56 AM

Yeah, because the right is sane. Maybe you need to look around a little bit more...take off those partisan blinders...

leekohler2
08-25-2017, 11:58 AM

Of course it's silly.

Standing Wolf
08-25-2017, 12:01 PM
But you just criticized Eth for overgeneralizing. He modified with many. Wolf did as well. So what is it, Eth overgeneralized but wolf didn't?

I give you credit, unlike Wolf, you didn't launch into a personal attack.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/a7/13/35/a7133583ff0127891ca6e7929e7307f6.jpg

Captain Obvious
08-25-2017, 12:06 PM
The left, even the sympathizing moderate left has no idea how batshit foolish they are.

Chris
08-25-2017, 12:35 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/a7/13/35/a7133583ff0127891ca6e7929e7307f6.jpg

It's your reputation you're ruining not mine.

Chris
08-25-2017, 12:36 PM
The left, even the sympathizing moderate left has no idea how batshit foolish they are.

Not sure espn is liberal but they're ocerreactingto liberal demands for PC.

Standing Wolf
08-25-2017, 12:37 PM

You just bring out the best in so many people, Chris. Without you, this forum would be a very different place.

Chris
08-25-2017, 01:04 PM
You just bring out the best in so many people, Chris. Without you, this forum would be a very different place.

Just another personal attack. Why do you think your opinion important? I'm the bad guy pointing out your fallacies, oh my! It's your reputation.

Ransom
08-25-2017, 03:10 PM
This entire race to see who can be most marginalized is silly.

Ethereal
08-25-2017, 03:11 PM
^^^Setting the example^^^

Ethereal
08-25-2017, 03:13 PM
He's been here a lot longer than you have and contributed far more to the forum than you ever will. The only thing you have that he does not is an unshakable confidence in your own righteousness and propriety.

Safety
08-25-2017, 03:30 PM

Of course, how could something so low, get lower?

Safety
08-25-2017, 03:30 PM
He's been here a lot longer than you have and contributed far more to the forum than you ever will. The only thing you have that he does not is an unshakable confidence in your own righteousness and propriety.

Your opinion is noted, but not relevant.

Chris
08-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Of course, how could something so low, get lower?

Ask wolf.

Safety
08-25-2017, 03:33 PM
Ask wolf.

I asked you. SW is one of the most consistent members on tPF, but just because he may lean left, the hard right partisans can't stand it.

Chris
08-25-2017, 03:55 PM
I asked you. SW is one of the most consistent members on tPF, but just because he may lean left, the hard right partisans can't stand it.

The criticism of his memes and insults above is not political. Want to ask me questions, ask me about what I post, not the nonsense you twist it into.

donttread
08-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Good grief, Charlie Brown!

The Extremely Stupid Controversy Over ESPN Announcer Robert Lee, Summarized (http://digg.com/2017/robert-lee-espn-controversy-explained)

Please, please , please tell me you're kidding. For God sakes he's not even white or black. Fuckin ESPN is just another "make the news network" anyway

Safety
08-25-2017, 04:10 PM
The criticism of his memes and insults above is not political. Want to ask me questions, ask me about what I post, not the nonsense you twist it into.

The attempt to criticize him for his posts, but nary the person he was responding to, makes it political and partisan.

Tahuyaman
08-25-2017, 04:51 PM
The Extremely Stupid Controversy Over ESPN Announcer Robert Lee, Summarized
Pulling this guy from a broadcast because of his name was indeed a stupid thing to do. ESPN topped that stupidity in the way they tried to explain their reasons for doing so.

Bo-4
08-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Haven't we ALL agreed at this point that this was a majorly stupid move on ESPN's part?

Chris
08-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Haven't we ALL agreed at this point that this was a majorly stupid move on ESPN's part?

Stupid PC move.

Bo-4
08-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Stupid PC move.

Agree!

So why do we have like 5 or 6 threads about this :confused:

Chris
08-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Agree!

So why do we have like 5 or 6 threads about this :confused:

ESPN? Only one I think.

Standing Wolf
08-25-2017, 05:23 PM

Both of you are in serious need of getting over yourselves, among other things.

Chris
08-25-2017, 05:27 PM

Oh come on now, wolf, where's that self-awareness.

Standing Wolf
08-25-2017, 05:51 PM

Among the things I find semi-hysterically funny about you, Chris, is that you go on and on about how people should discuss the topics and not focus on personalities, and then you post entire pages of the most ridiculous, self-directed, thin-skinned, off-topic nonsense.

I'm really going to have to go back to ignoring you more. Your little games and antics, along with your general cluelessness, just make you such an easy target for ridicule, and - I know you're not going to get this, Chris, but - there are more important things to discuss than you.

Ethereal
08-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Your opinion is noted, but not relevant.

In order to make such a determination, you would have to be relevant yourself. Which, of course, you are not.

Ethereal
08-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Yea, consistently dishonest, partisan, and sanctimonious.

Ethereal
08-25-2017, 06:01 PM
You're just projecting, as usual.

Ethereal
08-25-2017, 06:03 PM
Among the things I find semi-hysterically funny about you, Chris, is that you go on and on about how people should discuss the topics and not focus on personalities, and then you post entire pages of the most ridiculous, self-directed, thin-skinned, off-topic nonsense.

Says the guy who needs a thread dedicated specifically to bashing forum members in total secrecy...

That must be where you run off to when someone confronts you in the regular forums.

resister
08-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Says the guy who needs a thread dedicated specifically to bashing forum members in total secrecy...

That must be where you run off to when someone confronts you in the regular forums.Such a thread is cowardly.

Ransom
08-25-2017, 06:17 PM

I'm really going to have to go back to ignoring you more. Your little games and antics, along with your general cluelessness, just make you such an easy target for ridicule, and - I know you're not going to get this, Chris, but - there are more important things to discuss than you.

Damn

Chris
08-25-2017, 07:56 PM
You're just projecting, as usual.

Indeed he is.

And obsessing.

Chris
08-25-2017, 07:58 PM

Just more personal attack. Unsurprising, really. And meaningless. Boorish and boring.

I would hope you would stop obsessing over me. I don't find myself all that interesting.

Adelaide
08-26-2017, 09:20 AM

Discuss the topic, not each other.