PDA

View Full Version : Read the Inauguration Day letter Obama left for Trump

Chris
09-03-2017, 12:56 PM
From Read the Inauguration Day letter Obama left for Trump (http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/politics/obama-trump-letter-inauguration-day/index.html):

Dear Mr. President -

Congratulations on a remarkable run. Millions have placed their hopes in you, and all of us, regardless of party, should hope for expanded prosperity and security during your tenure.

This is a unique office, without a clear blueprint for success, so I don't know that any advice from me will be particularly helpful. Still, let me offer a few reflections from the past 8 years.

First, we've both been blessed, in different ways, with great good fortune. Not everyone is so lucky. It's up to us to do everything we can (to) build more ladders of success for every child and family that's willing to work hard.

Second, American leadership in this world really is indispensable. It's up to us, through action and example, to sustain the international order that's expanded steadily since the end of the Cold War, and upon which our own wealth and safety depend.

Third, we are just temporary occupants of this office. That makes us guardians of those democratic institutions and traditions -- like rule of law, separation of powers, equal protection and civil liberties -- that our forebears fought and bled for. Regardless of the push and pull of daily politics, it's up to us to leave those instruments of our democracy at least as strong as we found them.

And finally, take time, in the rush of events and responsibilities, for friends and family. They'll get you through the inevitable rough patches.

Michelle and I wish you and Melania the very best as you embark on this great adventure, and know that we stand ready to help in any ways which we can.

Good luck and Godspeed,

BO

resister
09-03-2017, 12:59 PM
That was decent of him but a bit lacking IMO.

AZ Jim
09-03-2017, 01:14 PM
That was decent of him but a bit lacking IMO.Coming from you that's amazing.

resister
09-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Coming from you that's amazing.
Thanks, but I am not the topic here.

AZ Jim
09-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Thanks, but I am not the topic here.I get confused since you are EVERYWHERE.

resister
09-03-2017, 01:58 PM
I get confused since you are EVERYWHERE.
Thanks, but I am not the topic here.

gamewell45
09-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Not a bad letter; seems like Obama had good intentions leaving office.

Chris
09-03-2017, 02:27 PM

Bingo! My thoughts too. It's like, OK, you won, best of luck, if I can help, let me know how. The #resistance might be so magnanimous, but they'll probably call Obama a traitor.

Newpublius
09-03-2017, 07:09 PM
"Second, American leadership in this world really is indispensable. It's up to us, through action and example, to sustain the international order that's expanded steadily since the end of the Cold War, and upon which our own wealth and safety depend."

TEAM AMERICA WORLD POLICE ----- F-U-C-K-I-N-G FOREVER B-I-T-C-H-E-S.

Of course he wrote that because there were certain pre-election comments which some might have interpreted as being anti-NATO, etc.....

Just what I want do do, live my life and sacrifice my son on the altar of 'sustaining the international order'

How about my son lives and foreigners die. That works better for me.

Mister D
09-03-2017, 07:12 PM
It's no so much world police as world hegemony.

Mister D
09-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Anyway, classy letter.

Captain Obvious
09-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Bingo! My thoughts too. It's like, OK, you won, best of luck, if I can help, let me know how. The #resistance might be so magnanimous, but they'll probably call Obama a traitor.

I'm skeptical but fair enough

Captain Obvious
09-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Anyway, classy letter.

Think Trump leaves a similar letter to his successor?

lol - Trump has less class than Chicago public schools.

:biglaugh:

Mister D
09-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Think Trump leaves a similar letter to his successor?

lol - Trump has less class than Chicago public schools.

:biglaugh:

Funny line.

Tahuyaman
09-03-2017, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't have read anything Obama left me. He had nothing of value to say.

Peter1469
09-04-2017, 12:43 AM
Leaving that letter is tradition.

Hal Jordan
09-04-2017, 01:34 AM
I'm honestly not surprised by such a letter. I would be pleasantly surprised if Trump left such a letter when he left office.

donttread
09-04-2017, 07:04 AM
From Read the Inauguration Day letter Obama left for Trump (http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/politics/obama-trump-letter-inauguration-day/index.html):

Nice yet interventionist and controlling all at the same time in paragraph 4. "Despite the fact that we can't produce a decent leader we must lead the world!" LOL

Trish
09-04-2017, 07:23 AM
I wouldn't have read anything Obama left me. He had nothing of value to say.

You don't think it's important that a President for "all" the people read a private message from his predecessor? Even if you hated the person wouldn't it be smart to know what they were thinking. Kinda like keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Trish
09-04-2017, 07:25 AM

Just curious - how do you think it was lacking?

Chris
09-04-2017, 08:12 AM
Nice yet interventionist and controlling all at the same time in paragraph 4. "Despite the fact that we can't produce a decent leader we must lead the world!" LOL

Definitely he's campaigning for his agendas still, politicians never stop that, look at old Al Gore, even though rejected by most.

resister
09-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Just curious - how do you think it was lacking?
It just seemed like there was very little advice, mostly platitudes.

donttread
09-04-2017, 10:51 AM
It just seemed like there was very little advice, mostly platitudes.

And more advise to focus on world leadership rather than our own crap! And we got a lot of crap , right here!

Standing Wolf
09-04-2017, 11:26 AM
When Trump leaves office - assuming that he does so peacefully, at the end of a term, and not in the middle of one - one of his speechwriters will have to compose the traditional letter. Were Trump to actually write it, it would be a rambling piece opining on his huge electoral win, the size of the crowd at his inauguration, the awesome nature of his cabinet, etc., and he would never actually get around to providing any advice...except, perhaps, to tip him (or her) off to where the kitchen staff keeps the best snacks or how the t.v. remote in the Oval Office works.

Tahuyaman
09-04-2017, 12:21 PM
You don't think it's important that a President for "all" the people read a private message from his predecessor? Even if you hated the person wouldn't it be smart to know what they were thinking. Kinda like keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
I didn't "hate" the man. I had no respect for him. I had no respect for any of his ideas. I would not respect any message he left for me to read.

donttread
09-04-2017, 12:22 PM
When Trump leaves office - assuming that he does so peacefully, at the end of a term, and not in the middle of one - one of his speechwriters will have to compose the traditional letter. Were Trump to actually write it, it would be a rambling piece opining on his huge electoral win, the size of the crowd at his inauguration, the awesome nature of his cabinet, etc., and he would never actually get around to providing any advice...except, perhaps, to tip him (or her) off to where the kitchen staff keeps the best snacks or how the t.v. remote in the Oval Office works.

And yet even knowing that we know in our hearts that somehow he is STILL better than Bushbama .

Trish
09-04-2017, 12:35 PM
I didn't "hate" the man. I had no respect for him. I had no respect for any of his ideas. I would not respect any message he left for me to read.

Oh, okay. Thanks

Mister D
09-04-2017, 01:13 PM
If you don't want two terms you're going to have to up your game.

Adelaide
09-04-2017, 06:30 PM

Agree. I imagine it is part of the history of the office (not leaving angry/ridiculous notes, but reasonable ones that wish for success for both the president but especially the people).

Perianne
09-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Agree. I imagine it is part of the history of the office (not leaving angry/ridiculous notes, but reasonable ones that wish for success for both the president but especially the people).
I give Obama credit. He did a much better job of exiting the office than did the Clintons.

Kacper
09-04-2017, 07:02 PM

The ones I have read in the past from old presidents to new ones are similarly lacking in any real substance. This one just sort of grates on my nerves because Obama used so many executive orders to bypass the congress that his respect the separation of powers rings hollow.

Bethere
09-05-2017, 04:20 AM
The ones I have read in the past from old presidents to new ones are similarly lacking in any real substance. This one just sort of grates on my nerves because Obama used so many executive orders to bypass the congress that his respect the separation of powers rings hollow.

Nonsense.

Obama averaged fewest executive orders since Grover Cleveland | Pew Research ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/23/obama-executive-orders/&ved=0ahUKEwjzqK_F243WAhUE64MKHb6fBGoQFgi2ATAM&usg=AFQjCNHYHbNIY425Roluhr9rcGC4FIlOjQ

donttread
09-05-2017, 05:50 AM

Yup, all meaningless tradition no doubt.

Kacper
09-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Nonsense.

Obama averaged fewest executive orders since Grover Cleveland | Pew Research ...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/23/obama-executive-orders/&ved=0ahUKEwjzqK_F243WAhUE64MKHb6fBGoQFgi2ATAM&usg=AFQjCNHYHbNIY425Roluhr9rcGC4FIlOjQ

"Averaged" doesn't change he issued more than more than one President since Cleveland and it does not change that he bypassed COngress with these.

Perianne
09-05-2017, 11:31 AM
All executive orders are not the same. An executive order declaring that the windows shades are to be closed at 6 p.m. is not the same as DACA. When Obama issued an executive order, the American people felt it in their posterior orifice.

texan
09-05-2017, 12:48 PM

Disagree. The man left and silently organized a well funded army to attack him. Unlike any president has before and right out of the gate too.

He didn't want his great accomplishments of executive orders repealed without a punishment.

He is a smart politician. What did you think he was going to put in the history books? I hate your a$$ and hope you fail, don't touch Ocare jack-wagon?

Please.

Peter1469
09-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Nonsense.

The number isn't important. It is what they do.

The executive does not legislate.