PDA

View Full Version : Motorized nanobots could fight deadly cancers inside the body – study

Dr. Who
09-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Nanotechnology could soon be used to directly combat disease within the human body – a breakthrough that promises revolutionary new treatments for the most deadly forms of cancer.

The study, published in the journal Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v548/n7669/full/nature23657.html?sf110574769=1&foxtrotcallback=true), outlines how an international team of researchers from Rice, Durham, and North Carolina State universities worked together to test single-molecule nanomachines, a collection of rotor-propelled microbots capable of easily tunneling through the membranes of targeted cells to administer drugs.

In one test conducted at Durham University in the UK, the nanomachines took as little as three minutes to tunnel through the wall of a prostate cancer cell. The machine killed the cancer cell instantly.

Durham's Dr. Robert Pal, a leader of the study and Royal Society University Research Fellow, believes (https://www.dur.ac.uk/research/news/item/?itemno=32185) the machines could be used to treat a range of cancers, including those most resistant to treatment.

https://www.rt.com/usa/401836-nanomachines-cancer-cells-treatment/

The stuff of science fiction is once again coming true. This is amazing new science.

The Xl
09-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Pretty awesome, but I just hope all of this advanced machinery doesn't come back to bite us, Terminator style.

Crepitus
09-03-2017, 05:08 PM
Probably be more like the Michael crichton novel "Prey".

Peter1469
09-03-2017, 05:10 PM
Probably be more like the Michael crichton novel "Prey".
I have not read that one.

I like his take on global warming.

Common
09-03-2017, 05:18 PM
I posted recently about a new process that stops cancer in children and very young adults. They are finally making break throughs with cancer that go beyond chemo and radiation

Chris
09-03-2017, 05:22 PM
Nanobots would be self-controlled with AI, and I just happened to be reading how that could be a problem: Turns Out Algorithms Are Racist (https://newrepublic.com/article/144644/turns-algorithms-racist?utm_content=buffer7f3ea&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer): "Artificial intelligence is becoming a greater part of our daily lives, but the technologies can contain dangerous biases and assumptions—and we're only beginning to understand the consequences."

Crepitus
09-03-2017, 05:24 PM
I have not read that one.

I like his take on global warming.

I like some of his stuff, don't recall reading his take on GW though.

Peter1469
09-03-2017, 05:25 PM
I posted recently about a new process that stops cancer in children and very young adults. They are finally making break throughs with cancer that go beyond chemo and radiation

They are using DNA and tailoring treatment to the individual focusing on the immune system.

Peter1469
09-03-2017, 05:26 PM
I like some of his stuff, don't recall reading his take on GW though.
He thinks the earth and climate are beyond our ability to affect it. I don't agree with him, but I agree in the end that man's effect is minimal so far as warming goes. We do so much more harm in other areas.

Common
09-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Some years ago they made a movie, where they dropped a miniscule sized submarine like container with a man they somehow made the size of a pinhead or smaller. They put him and the container inside a human eye and it traveled throughout the body. Everyone then thought that would never happen.

Then they made little cameras that you swallow and it shows them your entire inestinal tract in lieu of colonoscopy, they are using that camera now. Some insurance wont pay for it.

Someday they will build a small robot that they can put inside you and record everything about you from the inside out

Crepitus
09-03-2017, 05:30 PM
He thinks the earth and climate are beyond our ability to affect it. I don't agree with him, but I agree in the end that man's effect is minimal so far as warming goes. We do so much more harm in other areas.

I would disagree with him.

Crepitus
09-03-2017, 05:32 PM
Some years ago they made a movie, where they dropped a miniscule sized submarine like container with a man they somehow made the size of a pinhead or smaller. They put him and the container inside a human eye and it traveled throughout the body. Everyone then thought that would never happen.

Then they made little cameras that you swallow and it shows them your entire inestinal tract in lieu of colonoscopy, they are using that camera now. Some insurance wont pay for it.

Someday they will build a small robot that they can put inside you and record everything about you from the inside out

I hope mine will pay for that. At 50 I'm looking at about time for one of those.

Common
09-03-2017, 05:36 PM
I hope mine will pay for that. At 50 I'm looking at about time for one of those.
I never had the camera, but im betting its alot more pleasant than a fricken colonoscopy, talk about losing your dignity.

The last one I had, I was nekkid on my side, they rolled me in the room with two YOUNG NURSES my youngest daughters age or younger, they told me bend your knees and draw them up to stick my ass out. So I did the only thing I could do when the Dr came in, I said hey Doc, he said yes. I said dont fall in love im married they all laughed made me feel a little better.

Newpublius
09-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Nanotechnology could soon be used to directly combat disease within the human body – a breakthrough that promises revolutionary new treatments for the most deadly forms of cancer.

The study, published in the journal Nature (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v548/n7669/full/nature23657.html?sf110574769=1&foxtrotcallback=true), outlines how an international team of researchers from Rice, Durham, and North Carolina State universities worked together to test single-molecule nanomachines, a collection of rotor-propelled microbots capable of easily tunneling through the membranes of targeted cells to administer drugs.

In one test conducted at Durham University in the UK, the nanomachines took as little as three minutes to tunnel through the wall of a prostate cancer cell. The machine killed the cancer cell instantly.

Durham's Dr. Robert Pal, a leader of the study and Royal Society University Research Fellow, believes (https://www.dur.ac.uk/research/news/item/?itemno=32185) the machines could be used to treat a range of cancers, including those most resistant to treatment.

https://www.rt.com/usa/401836-nanomachines-cancer-cells-treatment/

The stuff of science fiction is once again coming true. This is amazing new science.

I had read this too and these boots could, at least in theory, do anything. Eat through stroke causing clots, or perhaps keep arteries clean of plaque. Or perhaps attack antibiotic resistant bacteria....maybe a virus won't be too small to handle.

Dr. Who
09-03-2017, 09:18 PM
I had read this too and these boots could, at least in theory, do anything. Eat through stroke causing clots, or perhaps keep arteries clean of plaque. Or perhaps attack antibiotic resistant bacteria....maybe a virus won't be too small to handle.

Despite the possibility that they will be used for nefarious purposes, I cannot help but be excited about a technology that can target the bad and ignore the good. It sounds far more humane than chemotherapy which frankly is a precarious contest between killing the disease without also killing the person. Often people who beat cancer only to have it return are reluctant to subject themselves to treatment again and would rather die.

Perhaps there will come a day when we will always have these little bots in our systems ensuring that nothing goes out of whack.

resister
09-03-2017, 09:28 PM
I never had the camera, but im betting its alot more pleasant than a fricken colonoscopy, talk about losing your dignity.

The last one I had, I was nekkid on my side, they rolled me in the room with two YOUNG NURSES my youngest daughters age or younger, they told me bend your knees and draw them up to stick my ass out. So I did the only thing I could do when the Dr came in, I said hey Doc, he said yes. I said dont fall in love im married they all laughed made me feel a little better.
Any time they do an invasive procedure, your life is in danger. I hope I eat my pistol when the time comes.